Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Slightly OT: Why Modern Music Is Awful
Posted by: MWasilewski ()
Date: June 13, 2018 20:45

Modern Talking is my real guilty pleasure. Interestingly, these guys sold (according to Wikipedia) +100 millions of CDs. And apparently this was done without getting famous outside some small region of the Europe! (Eastern Europe + probably Germany) I heard that at their peak time their songs were played all the time and everywhere in Poland grinning smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 14, 2018 02:29

MWasilewski
Modern Talking is my real guilty pleasure. Interestingly, these guys sold (according to Wikipedia) +100 millions of CDs. And apparently this was done without getting famous outside some small region of the Europe! (Eastern Europe + probably Germany) I heard that at their peak time their songs were played all the time and everywhere in Poland grinning smiley

It`s puzzling how uncool music often gets popular in Eastern Europe. You could also say "melodic" music, or music with and old school feel. You could also say "romantic" music, without the demand to be "hip". Melodic hardrock like today`s edition of Deep Purple is doing great in Eastern Europe. Rock started to look back in time for inspiration by the end of the 80s. You can`t expect people who have listended since the 60s to enjoy new bands that sounds like old ones. You can`t care for REM if you previously been a fan of The Byrds.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 14, 2018 03:25

The nostalgics should check out Ty Segall new album Freedom Goblin. Full of 70's sound.
Some live samples from KCRW :
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

By the way KCRW is always worth checking out [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 14, 2018 22:45

i agree modern music is awful!

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 14, 2018 23:21

I agree in DC the only quality station is WPFW which has to rely on user handouts to survive. Bill Wax, R&B blues and jazz. Al the other stations in DC are talking, news and traffic, drives me nuts. talk is cheap

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 14, 2018 23:23

drewmaster
[www.youtube.com]

Very interesting what he says up till the idea that listeners can be brainwashed into liking bad music by constantly hearing the same song, and by implication that good music is instantly likeable. Sometimes the best music is very complicated and takes a long time -- many, many listenings -- to appreciate.

Drew

Watch a long video to tell me what I already know is untrue?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 14, 2018 23:55

the start of the downfall of modern pop/rock music in britain was when the likes of stock/aitken and waterman started to produce and write songs for the bimbo generation ie kylie minogue etc. around the same time rap/hiphop became popular for reasons i will never know and the songs being played on radio and in bars changed overnight.

Date: June 15, 2018 00:53

(my tow cents) recording music is not a business anymore so there is not any incentive to support anything in an almost nonexistent market (if you let me exaggerate)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-15 00:53 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 15, 2018 02:37

smiling smiley I use this site as a filter to get the good stuff...and free humor. smiling smiley

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 03:21

There is still as much well written music around as there was in the old days.
At first I was quite conservative in terms of how I thought a band should sound. Real instruments, no studio trickery, no gimmicks. But through the Stones I got into Tom Waits and because of that into more experimental music. Which lead me to Talking Heads, Brian Eno and electronical music.
Music is art and as long as the listener feels what the artist wanted him to feel it has achieved its goal. Be it with real instruments, synths or computer generated sounds. (Of course this is no excuse for the bland music we hear in the charts these days, the motivation for that kind of music is not artistry but money.)
Just keep your ears opened for new things. To be open minded about music is so much more interesting than to just listen to Rock'n'Roll all day. There is music and sounds from every corner in the world and you can discover how everything is connected and search for influences and inspirations.
Music is so much more than just something to get your feet moving :-)

"New" Artists I like to listen to at the moment:
Michael Kiwanuka
Leon Bridges
Vulfpeck
Nicolas Jaar
Tinariwen
Joey Dosik

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 15, 2018 04:50

What is modern music, though? Of the moment? The last year's worth?

Perhaps it's meant more along the lines of NEW artists.

A lot of music is computer generated these days.

Is Jason Isbell considered modern music? Drive-By Truckers? Blackberry Smoke? Is MAGIC! modern music? U2?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 22, 2018 23:43

`Cause they started "anew" again at the end of the 80s and turned to the 60s for inspiration, instead of sticking to Synth and New Romantic. All of a sudden you could hear new bands sounding like Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd and Jefferson Airplane.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 23, 2018 00:11

Music is subjective unless the performer is playing/singing out of tune or time by accident. So, today’s music is objectively better than ever due to technology!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home