Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--Yes, it's a BIG world, but do you ever get the feeling...
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 11, 2018 01:37

...that when you're listening a a particular song or album, you are the only person on our planet playing that record at that moment?

Not just obscure stuff, but music that was once popular enough to make the charts.

Right now I'm playing Procol Harmum Live In Concert with The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. I can't imagine anyone else is playing it right now, any time today, or maybe not even all week.

Re: OT--Yes, it's a BIG world, but do you ever get the feeling...
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:06

loog droog
...that when you're listening a a particular song or album, you are the only person on our planet playing that record at that moment?

Not just obscure stuff, but music that was once popular enough to make the charts.

Right now I'm playing Procol Harmum Live In Concert with The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. I can't imagine anyone else is playing it right now, any time today, or maybe not even all week.

I think I played 20 years ago..........great album............

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:24

NICOS
loog droog

Exactly! But not today!

Do you think that there is one song in the Stones' catalog that isn't heard anywhere by anyone in the world for an entire day?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:36

loog droog
NICOS
loog droog

Exactly! But not today!

Do you think that there is one song in the Stones' catalog that isn't heard anywhere by anyone in the world for an entire day?

Just my guess......................I don't think Little By Little is played today by any radio station

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:39

you are the only person on our planet playing that record at that moment?

Yeah millions of times over the decades … but not so much now as record shops struggle..rare stuff doesn't get released …
bootlegs have dried up …....believe it or not We're just being dragged back to a main stream world

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:52

I wonder about more things than I need to...but never that.

Except now.

Thanks, Loog.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:53

Great thread! Last night I gave Janis Joplin Greatest Hits a spin. I have to say, the thrill was gone. Of course it could be just me. "Me and Bobby McGee"? -Yeah, I used to love it, but the world changes, and so do we. It`s also a matter of being too familiar. I gave the first side of The Beatles Abbey Road a second spin in a relatively short time the same night. -Uh, the thrill was gone! Only Lennon`s "Come Together" gave me something, and seems to have coped with the test of time better than the other tracks. And "Something", -the greatest love song of the 20th century according to Frank Sinatra, just sounded some aural brand, too familiar! It used to create such deep feelings back in the 70s.

Date: June 11, 2018 03:03

All that opens down here now days are coffee shops ……..

The latest now is broccoli flavoured coffee …. So they take all the stale broccoli from the super markets dry it … grind it … then sprinkle it in ya coffee … YAWN

Come on …. What happened to Lovin' & Laughin' ???????????????????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 11, 2018 04:12

I was listening to Neil Young's After the Gold Rush album today, and have a feeling I wasn't the only one. But maybe I was...maybe during "Oh Lonesome Me"...
But somewhere at any given time 24/7, Southern Man is probably being played either on the radio or on someones personal stereo
Incredible album, and to think he was only 25...he was a wise young soul to write such deep lyrics.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 11, 2018 04:29

This thread reminded this story published on Uncut magazine (February 2005):

Date: June 11, 2018 04:52

Hey Yeah caught Sonny & Terry playin' live a number of times over the years…Liverly show.

Then ya find out they hated each others guts and hadn't spoken to each other in decades ….. whew!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: June 11, 2018 05:31

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 11, 2018 05:43

NICOS
Just my guess......................I don't think Little By Little is played today by any radio station

England's Newest Hitmakers is on my iPod, and when in a Stones mood that album goes on first, followed by 12 x 5 and Rolling Stones Now! -- love those albums.

I haven't listened to a regular radio station in maybe 18 years or so.

Radio programmers just don't understand what I want to hear.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 11, 2018 06:21

I can't imagine that anyone in the world decided today they absolutely, positively had to break out, for example, the Ashley Beedle Heavy Disco Vocal Re-Edit of Rain Fall Down.

While I'm at it, I'm guessing nobody played the Mark Ronson remix of Dylan's Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine or any of those awful Springsteen remixes of tracks from Born in the USA.

Date: June 11, 2018 06:33

….No wont bother allowiong them on the turntable …..^^^^^^^^^^^

But I do love ta soak daily in The Stones -- HooDoo Blues …..
Jaggers sexuality … The cut-throat slice of the guitars …. The Stones how they should sound …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 11, 2018 11:47

loog droog

Actually, I've been listening to a fair amount of Procol Harum over the last several years. There's a lot more to that band than its best known hit. The live album is aces, as are the first five.

I saw the current lineup a few years ago. Gary Brooker still has one of rock's great voices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 11:52 by ab.

Date: June 11, 2018 12:40

Rockman
you are the only person on our planet playing that record at that moment?

Yeah millions of times over the decades … but not so much now as record shops struggle..rare stuff doesn't get released …
bootlegs have dried up …....believe it or not We're just being dragged back to a main stream world

People might stream it this very second winking smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 11, 2018 15:31

loog droog

I feel just sorta the exact opposite; like everyone in the whole world must know and love the same music that I do. It's only when I try to have a conversation with someone about music, and they have no idea what I'm talking about, that I realize this isn't so.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 23:06

when i got into the stones in 1987 and bought love you live in december of that year, then 5 months later rolled gold, i felt that i was the only one in the world that would be listening to the stones.

i was 19 at the time, every one my age was into chart music and folk not that much younger were already into rap and hiphop.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 12, 2018 01:35

Rockman
Hey Yeah caught Sonny & Terry playin' live a number of times over the years…Liverly show.

Then ya find out they hated each others guts and hadn't spoken to each other in decades ….. whew!!!!!

but they wouldn't be caught dead in that Red Cross Store.....

BTW, didn't Sam and Dave also hate each other and wouldn't speak to each other except for what as part of their act?

Date: June 12, 2018 02:10

Yeah Sam & Dave had a wild relationship ….Story has it they didn't talk to each other for years
There were major problems due to substance abuse and things went bad between the two of them after Prater shot his own wife in the face during a domestic

Story at the time was that Prater ordered his wife Judy to sit with an apple
on her head while he tried to shoot a hole through it … Prater escaped conviction when his wife refused to testify against him.

Prater died in the late 80's when his car hit a tree and he was decapitated ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2018 02:35

Loog Droog: Have you listened to this one from 2006, Procul Harum and the Danish National Concert Orchestra.
The way Gay Brookers voice still holds up is simply beautiful. The intro is also beautiful: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 12, 2018 03:13

I would bet an entire tour's worth of Stones tickets that I'm the only one on IORR who owns a copy of Gene Moore's soundtrack to Carnival of Souls on CD: [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 12, 2018 03:32

stonehearted
I would bet an entire tour's worth of Stones tickets that I'm the only one on IORR who owns a copy of Gene Moore's soundtrack to Carnival of Souls on CD: [www.youtube.com]

Ha I bet you would win that bet!

But if we're talking about oddball/obscure stuff, I have a large number of mid-late '70's Jamaican 7" and 12" vinyl singles some of which my late brother brought home from Jamaica in the late '70's, and some of which the printing was limited to a very small number and some of which which he bought at Mom and Pop roadside record shacks. I know there's some hardcore collectors of this vintage first pressing/rare/oddball stuff, and for all I know I'm sitting on a goldmine! Might be a handful of people in the world who have some of this, and seriously doubt anyone has it here on IORR.

Another bizarre oddball vinyl I have is a compilation of AdolphHitler speeches that I found at a swap meet back in the early '80s and paid a dollar for. Goes without saying I'm not a fan of his by any means, but it was such a freaky thing to see couldn't resist adding it to my collection, and I bet no one else on IORR owns it!

*Just learned when you type in Adolph's last name here it gets censored here > @#$%& < and rightfully so.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 12, 2018 03:35

Rockman
Yeah Sam & Dave had a wild relationship ….Story has it they didn't talk to each other for years
There were major problems due to substance abuse and things went bad between the two of them after Prater shot his own wife in the face during a domestic

on her head while he tried to shoot a hole through it … Prater escaped conviction when his wife refused to testify against him.

I can understand being stressed about the arrest, but it certainly isn't something to lose one's head over.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 16:20

Rockman

Now that's what I call 'Carma'

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 12, 2018 21:15

Today was listening to early Fleetwood Mac; Bare Trees, Future Games and Mystery to Me, in remembrance of Danny Kirwan. I think perhaps I am not the only one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 23:38 by Bliss.

Date: June 13, 2018 00:48

Now that's what I call 'Carma' …..good spin there Roll73....

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home