Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Nice trip down memory lane: Licks Tour
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 12, 2018 16:38

DandelionPowderman
FrogSugar
HomerSimpson
After skimming this thread over the past weekend I decided to dust off my dvd box set and give the Paris club show a whirl. Great show!

That's one of my favourite shows...wish they'd released this one on CD instead of that weird Live Licks "compilation album".

Many of the songs on Live Licks are indeed from the Olympia-show.

Didn't know that... Is there somewhere where it details where each song is from? I borrowed the CD recently but don't remember seeing it in the booklet.

Date: June 12, 2018 17:18

FrogSugar
DandelionPowderman
FrogSugar
HomerSimpson
After skimming this thread over the past weekend I decided to dust off my dvd box set and give the Paris club show a whirl. Great show!

That's one of my favourite shows...wish they'd released this one on CD instead of that weird Live Licks "compilation album".

Didn't know that... Is there somewhere where it details where each song is from? I borrowed the CD recently but don't remember seeing it in the booklet.

There weren't as many as I thought, since I was thinking about the bonus tracks as well:

From Live Licks:

CD1:
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- You Can't Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- Start Me Up (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- It's Only Rock'n Roll (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Angie (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Happy (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003

CD2:
- Neighbours (MJ/KR) -Paris 11.7.2003
- Monkey Man (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Rocks Off (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- Can't You Hear Me Knocking (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- That's How Strong My Love Is (Roosevelt Jamison) -Paris 11.7.2003
- The Nearness Of You (Hoagy Carmichael/Ned Washington) -Paris 11.7.2003
- Beast Of Burden (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- When The Whip Comes Down (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Rock Me Baby (William Broonzy/Arthur Crudup) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- You Don't Have To Mean It (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- Worried About You (MJ/KR) -Paris 11.7.2003
- Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (Bert Russell/Solomon Burke/Jerry Wexler) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002

Officially released bonus tracks:

Dance (Pt. 1) (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003)
Before They Make Me Run (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003)
Hand Of Fate (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-12 17:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 12, 2018 17:31

DandelionPowderman
FrogSugar
DandelionPowderman
FrogSugar
HomerSimpson

There weren't as many as I thought, since I was thinking about the bonus tracks as well:

From Live Licks:

CD1:
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- You Can't Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- Start Me Up (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- It's Only Rock'n Roll (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Angie (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Happy (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003

CD2:
- Neighbours (MJ/KR) -Paris 11.7.2003
- Monkey Man (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Rocks Off (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003
- Can't You Hear Me Knocking (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- That's How Strong My Love Is (Roosevelt Jamison) -Paris 11.7.2003
- The Nearness Of You (Hoagy Carmichael/Ned Washington) -Paris 11.7.2003
- Beast Of Burden (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- When The Whip Comes Down (MJ/KR) -New York City 18.1.2003
- Rock Me Baby (William Broonzy/Arthur Crudup) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- You Don't Have To Mean It (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002
- Worried About You (MJ/KR) -Paris 11.7.2003
- Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (Bert Russell/Solomon Burke/Jerry Wexler) -Los Angeles 4.11.2002

Officially released bonus tracks:

Dance (Pt. 1) (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003)
Before They Make Me Run (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003)
Hand Of Fate (Olympia, Paris, France, July 11, 2003)

Thanks for the details ;-)

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 18:43

Live from the Cirkus (Stockholm).

Awesome boot, great quality, great setlist...

Date: June 12, 2018 18:45

philrock90
I love the licks tour possibly one of my faves I have a few boots from that tour but can anyone recommend some great boots from the tour doesn't need to be soundboard

Live from the Cirkus (Stockholm Club Show).

Great Boot, Great Quality, Great Set List.

Date: June 12, 2018 19:24

stickyfingers101
philrock90
I love the licks tour possibly one of my faves I have a few boots from that tour but can anyone recommend some great boots from the tour doesn't need to be soundboard

Live from the Cirkus (Stockholm Club Show).

Great Boot, Great Quality, Great Set List.

Great show, but how can they fix SCB? winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:38

Even though I don't speak Dutch, always fun to watch this clip.
Great performance clips, interviews with fans, and footage of them herding people in batches through the entry with the boss shouting out the rules "if we see you in the venue with a camera, you will not see the show"!!! lol
I also seem to recall that at one point they had us all sit in a room between the front entrance and inside the theater itself - it was like being in Stone purgatory!

The Rolling Stones - Vredenburg Utrecht

The video description translated:

The Rolling Stones in Vredenburg Utrecht on August 16, 2003. NOS Journal entry of the same day, and an already known fragment of the Staatsloterij result, a few days later (Wednesday, August 20). It was the intention that the concert of the Stones in the Arena (sponsored by the Staatsloterij) would be broadcast live on TV. However, due to voice problems of Mick Jagger, the concert was canceled, and later in September of that year overtaken. The concert in Vredenburg is completely recorded with professional cameras and as one of the few club performances it was a great opportunity to end up on the 'Four Flicks' DVD box. Unfortunately, the choice fell on Olympia Paris and many of the 2,000 lucky attendees in Vredenburg (including myself) hope that the images will once again show up in its entirety!

I don't recall knowing that the Amsterdam Arena show was to be broadcast on live tv - a shame it was cancelled.
And to know the entire Vredenburg show was shot professionally gives me hope that someday it will see the light of day officially!

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 01:12

I never knew so many tracks on live licks are from New York good album but too many chops on songs

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 13, 2018 12:39

"Great show, but how can they fix SCB? "

Just an intro error, I am more concerned that they let an official Hand Of Fate from Paris slip through despite the fact that Mick screws up the 2nd (or was it the 3rd) verse? The Hand Of Fates from Cirkus or Vredenburg were far superior IMHO.

I remember there was an article in one of the tabloids here in late 2003 speculating in what songs and from which show were to be included in the live cd.

Those were the days!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 12:41 by MadMax.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 13, 2018 12:44

Hairball

And to know the entire Vredenburg show was shot professionally gives me hope that someday it will see the light of day officially!

If Vredenburg was filmed in it's entierty it wasn't filmed with as many cameras as Paris.
What stands for sure is that there was a team with MOVIE cameras (not video) who filmed 3 songs in Vredenburg.
They also filmed 3 songs during the Ahoy show.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 12:44 by Doc.

Date: June 13, 2018 15:58

MadMax
"Great show, but how can they fix SCB? "

Just an intro error, I am more concerned that they let an official Hand Of Fate from Paris slip through despite the fact that Mick screws up the 2nd (or was it the 3rd) verse? The Hand Of Fates from Cirkus or Vredenburg were far superior IMHO.

I remember there was an article in one of the tabloids here in late 2003 speculating in what songs and from which show were to be included in the live cd.

Those were the days!

Incidentally, at Cirkus Mick forgets a couple lines in "Worried About You" (seemed to go up in smoke, vanish like a dream, I wonder why you do these things to me)....and Keef misses the bridge in Hand of Fate. But, the show must go on and the band powers through almost unnoticeable...

a great show, a great boot....a great memory.

Stones rule.

Date: June 13, 2018 21:48

Doc
Hairball

If Vredenburg was filmed in it's entierty it wasn't filmed with as many cameras as Paris.
What stands for sure is that there was a team with MOVIE cameras (not video) who filmed 3 songs in Vredenburg.
They also filmed 3 songs during the Ahoy show.

Thanks Doc, was just basing my comment on the description of the youtube video:

"The concert in Vredenburg is completely recorded with professional cameras".

Date: June 14, 2018 03:59

Vredenburg would be a cool release but, what about the show at the Wiltern Theatre? they released a couple songs from it on Four Flicks and the performances from that show were stellar.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 15, 2018 17:08

Thanks for posting this! This was my first Stones show and now my first time listening to/seeing a full bootleg of it. I remember it being good and it's nice to have that confirmed. A solid show with high energy (Sound issues on the b-stage not withstanding). And what a set list.

I've been critical of Vegas era live versions of ATPTB, that they rely too heavy on the horns , but this version has a good balance between guitars and horns. Cool funky version.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-15 17:30 by ryanpow.

Date: June 15, 2018 18:15

Hairball
timbernardis
Well, the set list went according to plan for that particular tour. They promised that for the arena shows, they would feature songs from a particular album. Evidently for the Oakland show, it was for EOMS. Should check the complete set list on this site to confirm that, but i bet that's what it was.

plexi

I think you're right plexi, and the album themed setlists are part of what made that tour great (along with the club/theater, arena. stadium format).
But if I recall, they still would only play maybe four or five from each album, and the albums they rotated were the Big 4, though maybe it was just Let it Bleed, Sticky, and Exile as Beggars was always well represented.
And then you have Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Heart of Stone which would be considered "rarities" today, mixed in with a bunch of contemporary and/or brand new tunes, along with the old warhorses.

Here's the full 22 song setlist from the Oakland show w/Exile songs in bold:

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Heart of Stone
Sweet Virginia (with guest violinist Frankie Gavin)
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice

Thru and Thru
You Don't Have To Mean It
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Hony Tonk Women (with Sheryl Crow)
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
When the Whip Comes Down (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)
Jumpin' Jack Flash (encore)

This show was a truncated Exile Show with a Mini IORR Set. (Don't forget ATPTB was on that album).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-15 18:16 by ryanpow.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 15, 2018 18:20

ryanpow
Hairball
timbernardis
Well, the set list went according to plan for that particular tour. They promised that for the arena shows, they would feature songs from a particular album. Evidently for the Oakland show, it was for EOMS. Should check the complete set list on this site to confirm that, but i bet that's what it was.

plexi

I think you're right plexi, and the album themed setlists are part of what made that tour great (along with the club/theater, arena. stadium format).
But if I recall, they still would only play maybe four or five from each album, and the albums they rotated were the Big 4, though maybe it was just Let it Bleed, Sticky, and Exile as Beggars was always well represented.
And then you have Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Heart of Stone which would be considered "rarities" today, mixed in with a bunch of contemporary and/or brand new tunes, along with the old warhorses.

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Heart of Stone
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice

Thru and Thru
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)

This show was a truncated Exile Show with a Mini IORR Set. (Don't forget ATPTB was on that album).
I don't think the intention was ever to highlight IORR, but that's a good point.

I believe they only did mini-sets for the Big Four albums (Banquet/Bleed/Fingers/Exile). I'm not sure if they did any for Some Girls, but I don't think so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-15 18:20 by keefriff99.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 15, 2018 18:33

keefriff99
I believe they only did mini-sets for the Big Four albums (Banquet/Bleed/Fingers/Exile). I'm not sure if they did any for Some Girls, but I don't think so.

They did a Some Girls mini-set in Chicago.

Date: June 15, 2018 19:14

What shows did they do a beggars set?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-15 19:18 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 15, 2018 19:38

There was also a Tattoo You, set. Truthfully, the album-set concept got a little stale as the tour progressed. When they'd perform Tumbling Dice during the Exile segment, for instance.

Date: June 15, 2018 19:43

ryanpow

Columbus and Boston (January 2003).

Date: June 15, 2018 19:44

Big Al
There was also a Tattoo You, set.

Yes, at one of the Chicago shows in January 2003.

Date: June 15, 2018 19:46

keefriff99
ryanpow
Hairball
timbernardis

plexi

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Heart of Stone
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice

Thru and Thru
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)

I don't think the intention was ever to highlight IORR, but that's a good point.

Yes, the point was to highlight the Exile theme. I highlighted If You Can't Rock Me by mistake, and I've already taken the wrath and confessed it was an error in a previous post lol...

Date: June 15, 2018 19:47

ryanpow
Boston in Jan. 2003, they did a three-song run of:

No Expectations
Stray Cat Blues
Sympathy

The "mini sets" were usually four songs, but I can't see this as not being a coincidence.

Date: June 15, 2018 20:05

Big Al
There was also a Tattoo You, set. Truthfully, the album-set concept got a little stale as the tour progressed. When they'd perform Tumbling Dice during the Exile segment, for instance.

Perhaps, but considering there were 117 dates of the Licks tour with apprx. a third of them being arena shows (*don't know exact number), only so many times you can be surprised.
But compared to today's mini tours, it's mind boggling what they were able to do, and within that time frame of the Licks tour, a total of apprx. 80 different songs were played

Date: June 15, 2018 20:08

Hairball
keefriff99
ryanpow
Hairball
timbernardis

plexi

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Heart of Stone
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice

Thru and Thru
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)

Yes, the point was to highlight the Exile theme. I highlighted If You Can't Rock Me by mistake, and I've already taken the wrath and confessed it was an error in a previous post lol...

My point was just that the "mini IORR Set" was something that made this show special. But if I can also re-hash other people's mistakes in the process then that's an added bonus! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 15, 2018 20:14

Lol...thanks ryanpow, I'll never live it down winking smiley

Date: June 15, 2018 23:28

Based on bootlegs i love the rosemore ballroom and the enmore theatre show. Opening with midnight rambler. Just wow.....

Date: June 20, 2018 10:16

Listened to some concerts yesterday. I really do not miss the sound of Keith this tour. It was so thin compared to the fat full sound of the tours after and even today.

Also the mistakes of the first riffs of Brown Sugar.. pfff.. remember this one.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 20, 2018 15:19

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Listened to some concerts yesterday. I really do not miss the sound of Keith this tour. It was so thin compared to the fat full sound of the tours after and even today.

Also the mistakes of the first riffs of Brown Sugar.. pfff.. remember this one.

[www.youtube.com]
Whoaaa...what a TRAIN WRECK. That's one for the ages.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home