Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nice trip down memory lane: Licks Tour
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 9, 2018 19:26

So I was thinking how camera phones and such were not nearly as prominent 10 or 15 years ago as they are now, but I wanted to see what I could find from the Licks tour. So I did a YouTube search for "Stones live 2002" and found this wonderful show from the Oakland Arena. I had heard it before (had a bootleg of it), but it really made me remember how damn GOOD they were during that tour. Sure, it was the tour where Keith's guitar playing began to show small signs of deterioration, but he was still great, and I think Mick was singing at his very best. Plus the setlist here - featuring Loving Cup, Ain't Too Proud, Sweet Virginia, and Heart of Stone was outstanding. Anyway, if you're interested here is the show.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-09 19:32 by theimposter.

Re: Nice trip down memory lane: Licks Tour
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2018 19:49

Thanks theimposter. thumbs up
Skimming through for about 15 minutes but will watch it all later, it shows how times have changed in the last 16 years.
Mick is singing great without a struggle, Keith's playing is still great and he's quite animated, Charlie is pounding without any effort, and Ronnie seems good (though he could be terrible at time during that tour)..
All around a much more energetic and quality performance (and the setlist is top notch) vs. what we see today IMO. Great tour - theaters/clubs, arena's, and stadiums...those were the days.

That said, miraculous they're still out there making people happy with their hits in gigantic stadiums - long live the Stones. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 9, 2018 20:38

for me that was the last really good tour (that i've seen). i saw a few good shows on bigger bang but some great shows on the licks tour. on back to back nights in vegas, a club show at the joint & then mgm grand the next night. mgm was actually better although the club show definitely had its moments. midnight rambler & a stunning worried about you. at the mgm grand they did a stripped down brown sugar on the small stage that was truly stellar. & a great can't you hear me knocking with ronnie totally on his game.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 9, 2018 20:42

It was a truly great tour...I was there opening night in Boston, 2nd row...then I went to the Hartford and Giants Stadium shows, then back to the 2nd Boston show in January 2003, and then the MSG show that was broadcast on HBO the following weekend. Lots of driving around NY and up into New England, but it was well worth it.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 9, 2018 21:43

Well, the set list went according to plan for that particular tour. They promised that for the arena shows, they would feature songs from a particular album. Evidently for the Oakland show, it was for EOMS. Should check the complete set list on this site to confirm that, but i bet that's what it was.

plexi

Date: June 10, 2018 20:48

timbernardis
Well, the set list went according to plan for that particular tour. They promised that for the arena shows, they would feature songs from a particular album. Evidently for the Oakland show, it was for EOMS. Should check the complete set list on this site to confirm that, but i bet that's what it was.

plexi

I think you're right plexi, and the album themed setlists are part of what made that tour great (along with the club/theater, arena. stadium format).
But if I recall, they still would only play maybe four or five from each album, and the albums they rotated were the Big 4, though maybe it was just Let it Bleed, Sticky, and Exile as Beggars was always well represented.
And then you have Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Heart of Stone which would be considered "rarities" today, mixed in with a bunch of contemporary and/or brand new tunes, along with the old warhorses.

Here's the full 22 song setlist from the Oakland show w/Exile songs in bold:

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Heart of Stone
Sweet Virginia (with guest violinist Frankie Gavin)
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice

Thru and Thru
You Don't Have To Mean It
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Hony Tonk Women (with Sheryl Crow)
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Satisfaction
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
When the Whip Comes Down (B-stage)
Brown Sugar (B-stage)
Sympathy for the Devil (encore)
Jumpin' Jack Flash (encore)

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 11, 2018 10:06

If You Can't Rock Me ist not on EXILE!

Date: June 11, 2018 10:36

saltoftheearth

Oops sorry my mistake, good catch...thumbs up...must have been having an early senior moment. winking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 11, 2018 12:24

Yep. The last really good tour. I caught six shows (three arena, three stadium).

Date: June 11, 2018 12:35

ab
Yep. The last really good tour. I caught six shows (three arena, three stadium).

Nothing is black and white. The London I-show on this tour was light years better than the Stockholm Stadium show on the Licks-tour, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 11, 2018 13:17

That was a great show. My wife and I were on vacation from Australia. We saw the stadium show at PacBell Park and then the arena show at Oakland. I loved it - the Oakland show is still one of my favourite Stones shows. I remember the sound was fantastic - crystal clear

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 11, 2018 13:20

The Licks Tour was exciting because of the format with three different kinds of shows
and the ever changing setlists. It was fun to be surprised at a show, not to know which
song will be next. Maybe not all performances were flaweless, but they compensated for
that with a great choice of songs.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 11, 2018 13:30

marcovandereijk
The Licks Tour was exciting because of the format with three different kinds of shows
and the ever changing setlists. It was fun to be surprised at a show, not to know which
song will be next. Maybe not all performances were flaweless, but they compensated for
that with a great choice of songs.

The stadium-shows were even more warhorse-loaded than the shows today, though smiling smiley

Stockholm 2003:

Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Don't Stop
Wild Horses
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Sympathy For The Devil
Respectable (B-stage)
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
Street Fighting Man (B-stage)
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 11, 2018 13:33

Great memories of the Licks Helsinki 2003 show with Keith handing me - not throwing - his guitar pick after Sympathy as he was coming down the stairs on his way to the B-stage.

Back then the stage was a bit lower and the front row closer.

And it happened to be HOT in Helsinki.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:15

Great tour it was Licks 2003 ! For me it vas very very special, because I saw them for the first time in my life !!!
it was in Paris , Bercy...
still looking for video from that show ....

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:32

I love the licks tour possibly one of my faves I have a few boots from that tour but can anyone recommend some great boots from the tour doesn't need to be soundboard

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:34

theimposter
So I was thinking how camera phones and such were not nearly as prominent 10 or 15 years ago as they are now, but I wanted to see what I could find from the Licks tour. So I did a YouTube search for "Stones live 2002" and found this wonderful show from the Oakland Arena. I had heard it before (had a bootleg of it), but it really made me remember how damn GOOD they were during that tour. Sure, it was the tour where Keith's guitar playing began to show small signs of deterioration, but he was still great, and I think Mick was singing at his very best. Plus the setlist here - featuring Loving Cup, Ain't Too Proud, Sweet Virginia, and Heart of Stone was outstanding. Anyway, if you're interested here is the show.

[www.youtube.com]

I think that's my favourite out of all the arena shows on that tour.

the last truly consistently great tour for me, and the last time they were genuinely innovative. Granted, it was the first bonafide 'nostalgia' tour - just one new song performed - and the stadium shows were basically a warhorse fest albeit a very enjoyable one - but those arena and theatre gigs were something to behold. You could get close to 50 different songs over three shows if you did the 'small, medium and large' combo that Keith referred to as 'The Fruit of the Loom Tour'

Saw 13 shows on that tour - more than any time before or since - would have been 14 but I didn't go back for the rescheduled Twickenham show.

MSG & Giants - sept. 2002,
LA staples & Anaheim stadium - Oct/nov/02.
Twickenham, Astoria & Wembley arena #1 - aug 2003
Glasgow (both) - sept 2003 (I flew home the day in between shows as it saved money plus after my 8 day London trip the week before it was probably a good strategy to see the wife again)
Dublin (both) - sept 2003
Wembley arena #2 & 3 - sept 2003.

The Wembley Arena gig on 29/8/03 is still probably the best Stones gig I've ever seen. And even though I had nosebleeds at Anaheim and it was probably the furthest that I've been from the stage in any stadium show, it was still one of the best outdoor shows I've ever seen them play.

Keith singing 'a cappella' versions of 'Loch Lomond' in Glasgow and 'Its a long way to Tipperary' in Dublin must be two of the most surreal musical moments of any Stones show

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 14:38 by Gazza.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:37

Also in Stockholm we got probably the only show since 1969 where they neither performed Flash or Satisfaction. Cirkus. During Tumbling Dice a smiling Keith handed me his pick from stage as I was standing at the balcony which is so close you can walk on stage from it. During the next song, Brown Sugar, I managed to signal to Ronnie that he would throw his Kool cigarette to me and he did, so during the outro I smoked the remains of it all the way down to the filter. I kept the remains of it. The sun had been shining all week as I had been attending all 3 shows in Stockholm, but after Sympathy (the last song), as we got out from the theater, it was pouring down. Magical.

Do I need to add that they released 30 tickets on the show day, to me and 29 other lucky fans and they WERE ALL the best seats in the house + standing. Kudos to the boys for doing this. This showed me that they take care of us hardcore fans.

Happy Days!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 11, 2018 15:18

Licks Tour was awesome.
Been lucky to do 16 shows, including 4 clubs and Hockenheim with ACDC
What a summer !

Date: June 11, 2018 21:04

Saw 14 great shows in the States in '02/'03 from L.A. to S.F, San Jose, Anaheim, San Diego, Vegas, and as far away as Houston with several other cities and States in between. During that period, was so swept up with the excitement I arranged to travel to Europe to coincide with my 40th birthday in July and see some Stone shows along the way. Landed in Stockholm on my birthday, and for the next seven weeks it was amazing traveling adventures coupled with Stones bliss.

Stockholm x 3
Skipped the next few to focus on travels around Scandinavia.
Rotterdam x 3
Utrecht
Amsterdam
London x 3
Glasgow x 2

So many highlights, but a few memorable ones off the top of my head:

Walking in to a nearly empty Stockholm Cirkus with early access right up to the center stage - I was literally floating - what a beautiful venue.
Up front Stockholm Globen - at the end of show when Keith threw his pick and getting in to a near rugby scrum and winning the battle!
Vredenburg, Utrecht. Lined up early in the day right in front, trading off holding our spot throughout the day with my friend Ed, eating Dutch pancakes, and smoking some of that funny stuff.
Made it front center, and the show itself ranks up their with my all time favorite which was my first show in 1981.
Wembley Arena, London: Ranks up there with some of the best arena shows I've seen throughout the years (those would be MGM Vegas, L.A. Forum, Staples Center and including every Mick Taylor show I saw)
Glasgow Arena: such a unique venue, almost semi-circle shaped and quite small in comparison to other arenas, a great way to end the journey as my Stones cup had runneth over.

Enjoyed several shows during ABB with Hollywood Bowl maybe being the best, and also the outdoor show in Nijmegen mainly due to being back in the Netherlands, but it wasn't until the 50 and Counting shows with Mick Taylor where the bar reached a similar level to the Licks tour. Saw one during Zip Code - the opener at San Diego which was average, but once was enough that tour. Desert Trip x 2 was OK, but the Stones were far from being the highlights - Neil Young, the Who, and Roger Waters were all far superior imo. And then finally the *Vegas show aka the sick Mick show. Might have have felt robbed, but paid a fraction of face value for floor seats via stub the day of show. All in all, the Licks tour was the funnest and the most memorable for me for a variety of reasons, with the shows themselves being only a part of the entire experience. If they do return to the States - specifically California and/or Vegas - I'll do my best to see them at least once, but will not pay an arm and a leg, and my expectations of the performance level will be realistic given their age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 21:06 by Hairball.

Re: Nice trip down memory lane: Licks Tou
Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 11, 2018 22:28

First and last time they used their site and fanclubmembership to help fans too.
Great songselection on that tour. Last real sold out tour,

Date: June 11, 2018 22:35

Rik
First and last time they used their site and fanclubmembership to help fans too.

Bought a few memberships w/different email addresses for the sole purpose of getting club/theater tickets.
I happened to be on the phone with them for some minor issue with an account when the nice gal on the other end said "oh by the way, Vredenburg is going on sale in five minutes".
Finished call with her faster than you can say "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and within minutes I got what I needed. smiling smiley

Date: June 11, 2018 23:57

The top of my personnal history with the Stones. I had a dream, following the Stones on tour from town to town, and i could do it for the first time, thanks internet and long paid vacations. One month in North America from New York to Toronto, the two MSG concerts in january 2003, and again most of the summer in Europe, ending with the whole UK/Ireland Tour. Most of it with my daughter and my best friend, meeting new good friends on the road. The best time of my life.
Great shows everywhere, amazing setlists, this awesome trilogy concept...No need to say each time i went back home, i hard hard time to get back on track, feeling like a Martian landing on a strange and boring planet.
Just one memory (i could talk about one thousand others but this one still give me gosebumps each time i think of it) , Mick singing That's How Strong My love Is at the Roseland in NYC. And loosing is mind, turning so passionnate at the end of the song. The audience realizing it was one of those special magical moments, i still hear the roar of the crowd slowly growing up and everybody turning crazy at the end. It was not just us, you could see the other guys on stage, all looking at Mick, as amazed as we were.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 12, 2018 06:18

Hairball
Rik

Bought a few memberships w/different email addresses for the sole purpose of getting club/theater tickets.
I happened to be on the phone with them for some minor issue with an account when the nice gal on the other end said "oh by the way, Vredenburg is going on sale in five minutes".
Finished call with her faster than you can say "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and within minutes I got what I needed. smiling smiley

Hi Hairball: Ya, the dude on the other end told me "the tickets for Astoria go on sale tomorrow at 0900". Too bad I had a test to take and missed it.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 12, 2018 08:27

After skimming this thread over the past weekend I decided to dust off my dvd box set and give the Paris club show a whirl. Great show!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 12, 2018 15:24

I've posted this before but the Philly First Union arena show from the Licks tour was probably in my top 5 of Stones shows I have seen. We got a mini-set list of Let It Bleed tunes including Love In Vain, plus later on the show Can't You Hear Me Knocking which I had waited all my life to finally hear in concert. Plus the opening act of Chrissie H and the Pretenders was not too shabby either!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 12, 2018 15:45

HomerSimpson
After skimming this thread over the past weekend I decided to dust off my dvd box set and give the Paris club show a whirl. Great show!

That's one of my favourite shows...wish they'd released this one on CD instead of that weird Live Licks "compilation album".

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: June 12, 2018 15:57

saltoftheearth
exactly

Date: June 12, 2018 16:05

FrogSugar
HomerSimpson

That's one of my favourite shows...wish they'd released this one on CD instead of that weird Live Licks "compilation album".

Many of the songs on Live Licks are indeed from the Olympia-show.

The problem is that they sound way better on the DVD..

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 12, 2018 16:24

God what a tour. The last truly great one they will ever do (though they still have great shows to offer us). I would LOVE it if either (preferrably) a club or an arena show from this tour got a From The Vault release in its entirety. I know we're already getting a 99 show coming up soon and fans are clamoring for older stuff (as am I), but I hope the Licks tour is slated for eventual release because, frankly, "Live Licks" did NOT do it justice.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home