Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16
Re: Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 12, 2018 23:40

Miss You was one of the highlights in Edinburgh, much to my surprise.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 12, 2018 23:58

letitloose

I thought it was boring. Just dont like the song in live gigs. Have heard it too often.
Jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:13

I still think it would be nice to hear something original from the last 37 years. Aside from Keith's Slipping Away and the Worst, it's as if they're ignoring a majority of their studio output, and in the process denying diehard and casual fans the chance to hear something "recent". The blues cover is nice for sure, but a cover is a cover - why not showcase something they wrote on their own? Nostalgia is fine and dandy, but how about something current and relevant? During each show while watching it unfold, I'm on the edge of my seat hoping for something "modern", but so far it's been deflating. Oh well, if it ever happens I will raise a glass, but meanwhile the hope is like beating a dead horse...or a dead warhorse...

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:28

corriecas
letitloose

I thought it was boring. ust dont like the song in live gigs. Have heard it too often.rom the live shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 07:04 by Tonstone.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:45

letitloose

This was a clip I just viewed until around 4:30 minutes song around 7:00 minutes
[m.youtube.com]
‘Miss You’ Edinburgh 2018 thru phone 3rd tier but can see screens and yeah
it is a very sexy song. ‘What your mama think about that’ unless Darryl’s Mother was in the audience? I dunno, I think Darryl looks great/ matching guitar, Keith and Ronnie have excellent guitar parts in at beginning-
maybe it’s the extended play that is too long
but Mick’s at his jiving MOFO best plus he plays guitar/ killer dance moves/ we wonder if he’s having a low down nasty time, or funky time, etc

I guess I go back to:
Chicks dig it.

Edit for spelling Darryl’s name wrong (2 r’s, 2 r’s)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 01:11 by 35love.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 13, 2018 00:50

Hairball
I still think it would be nice to hear something original from the last 37 years. Aside from Keith's Slipping Away and the Worst, it's as if they're ignoring a majority of their studio output, and in the process denying diehard and casual fans the chance to hear something "recent". The blues cover is nice for sure, but a cover is a cover - why not showcase something they wrote on their own? Nostalgia is fine and dandy, but how about something current and relevant? During each show while watching it unfold, I'm on the edge of my seat hoping for something "modern", but so far it's been deflating. Oh well, if it ever happens I will raise a glass, but meanwhile the hope is like beating a dead horse...or a dead warhorse...

It's because of where they are in their lives.

They won't be remembered for Saint Of Me, but Satisfaction, Jack Flash, etc., the songs that defined an era and made the legend.

Wishing they were "current" and "relevant" is to cling to an idea of the band as they used to be.

If you were a young fan who bought Hot Rocks and were going to see them for the first time, you'd want to hear as many of those classic songs as time would allow.

For the older fans, the greatest hits are what most all agree on -- hence, the reason they were hits in the first place.

Why play obscure album cuts that only 5% of a concert audience could agree on?

If you're playing to 50,000+, you want to hear the applause of 50,000+, not a mere 2,500.

Date: June 13, 2018 01:11

stonehearted
Hairball

It's because of where they are in their lives.

They won't be remembered for Saint Of Me, but Satisfaction, Jack Flash, etc., the songs that defined an era and made the legend.

Wishing they were "current" and "relevant" is to cling to an idea of the band as they used to be.

If you were a young fan who bought Hot Rocks and were going to see them for the first time, you'd want to hear as many of those classic songs as time would allow.

For the older fans, the greatest hits are what most all agree on -- hence, the reason they were hits in the first place.

Why play obscure album cuts that only 5% of a concert audience could agree on?

If you're playing to 50,000+, you want to hear the applause of 50,000+, not a mere 2,500.

But I think you're underestimating the value and quality of some of the latter era tunes. While not my favorite era (I can think of maybe half a dozen that would be nice to hear live) I know there's many younger fans whose first albums bought were from this era, and for them that's what makes the band current and relevant. Someone even mentioned their disappointment in a recent show thread that nothing was played from their favorite album - Bridges to Babylon I think it was. It wasn't that long ago when they were playing One More Shot and Doom and Gloom every show (neither of which I liked), and occasionally You Got Me Rocking or Out of Control, and a few others. So why all of the sudden abandon and ignore all of that? As it stands, it's like listening to an antique jukebox filled with hits from decades ago. Nostalgically it's great, but when the last 37 years of your recorded output is ignored, seems something is missing.

PS - If they have such little appreciation for all of the latter era tunes, you have to wonder why they even bother making a new record it all.
And if and when they do finish and release a new album, will it also be ignored in a live setting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 01:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 13, 2018 02:13

Hairball
But I think you're underestimating the value and quality of some of the latter era tunes.

Not really -- I like many of those myself. I just don't listen to the later stuff as often I would from, say, the 63 to 83 period.

I was just thinking in terms of what they are remembered for.

They helped define the 1960s and 1970s, culturally and musically speaking.

By 1989, they were purely ceremonial figures.

Hairball
While not my favorite era (I can think of maybe half a dozen that would be nice to hear live) I know there's many younger fans whose first albums bought were from this era, and for them that's what makes the band current and relevant. Someone even mentioned their disappointment in a recent show thread that nothing was played from their favorite album - Bridges to Babylon I think it was.

True enough, but their 90s output was hardly career defining.

Suppose they debuted in 1994 with Voodoo Lounge, and all you had for a concert set list was that album, Bridges, and ABB -- would you shell out $500+ multiple times each year just to hear those albums done live?

Hairball
It wasn't that long ago when they were playing One More Shot and Doom and Gloom every show (neither of which I liked), and occasionally You Got Me Rocking or Out of Control, and a few others. So why all of the sudden abandon and ignore all of that?

Maybe they were just listening to their inner applause-o-meters.

The show I saw, the crowd down in front went into huge cheering when One More Shot started -- they thought they were getting Street Fighting Man. The noise dropped off sharply when they realized they weren't.

Applause following both those numbers was tepid at best.

Hairball
As it stands, it's like listening to an antique jukebox filled with hits from decades ago. Nostalgically it's great, but when the last 37 years of your recorded output is ignored, seems something is missing.

It isn't really nostalgia -- it's their cultural legacy.

Hairball
PS - If they have such little appreciation for all of the latter era tunes, you have to wonder why they even bother making a new record it all.

I didn't know that they did. smiling smiley

Hairball
And if and when they do finish and release a new album, will it also be ignored in a live setting?

The source from Universal in that thread said the band would never even tour behind it, that it would just be a bonus.

I think that means the boys have accepted their place in history.

No longer England's newest hitmakers, they still have plenty of hot rocks and fazed cookies that gather no moss.

Date: June 13, 2018 05:46

stonehearted
It isn't really nostalgia -- it's their cultural legacy.

Call it whatever you want, but the fact is it's filled with nostalgia as several reviews have pointed out - though I admit "cultural legacy" sounds more prestigious, eloquent, and maybe even less 'OLD'.
Look no further than this very thread in a review from the Edinburgh Evening News:

"They start with Start Me Up, of course they did, which turned out to be the most recent song they played having been on 1981’s Tattoo You
and then it was an oldie jukebox all the way going straight into Let Spend the Night Together and It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll"

"There’s not a single person here, on and off-stage, who isn’t aware this is a bit of a nostalgia-fest"

So whether you call it nostalgia or cultural legacy, to me it's like a visit to the museum visiting all the old dinosaur bones, ancient artifacts, and/or masterpieces of art.
While it's great to see masterpiece paintings in a museum, if the artist is still alive it's just as important to see some of his/her more recent work. Might not be up there with their best, but it does show some relevance.
Even a retrospective exhibit of work from a living artist most always includes work that spans their entire career - not just work from when they were churning out the good stuff 40 years prior.
But in the end that's the way the dice tumbles - I've repeatedly said over the last five years or so that the future of the Stones lies in their past (archival releases, etc.) and this tour seems to be proving the point beyond anything I could have imagined. They could have called it Retro-Filter and it would have made more sense.

stonehearted
The source from Universal in that thread said the band would never even tour behind it, that it would just be a bonus.

Lol that thread is filled with so much speculation from a variety of sources that it's hard to remember whats been said, but I believe your mincing several speculative "facts" together adding even more speculation to the quagmire. From what I recall, the particular source (not Universal) stated that if there ever is a new album it will be a bonus period, and whether or not they tour behind it was just the same source speculating based on albums and tours of the past. First things first, I'm sure Universal would love a new album to begin with, and you have to think that if there ever is one I doubt they're going to deny or prevent it being toured - they'll milk it for every drop it's worth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 05:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 13, 2018 12:45

I read only a few posts on this page 15 of the thread and find myself much in sympathy with the contents of Hairball's posts here.

Maybe one also could argue directly that it is by featuring a few more recent songs that the Stones concerts would be experienced not as the mentionned nostalgia juxebox of their distant past, but therefore really as a genuine documentation of their cultural legacy. Where many periods count, but obviously some periods to a greater extent in that respect.

Presented with the viewpoint that the Rolling Stones will be remembered for quite few songs only, one may think that it is by playing some more other songs live that they at the moment may contribute to a couple of those songs, too, to be remembered at least by the very people, who are attending shows now. Those people will act as their most fresh witnesses in the near future. One tends to think that is a point of view that ought to count with Mick and Keith in choosing songs for their current setlists.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 13, 2018 13:05

"So whether you call it nostalgia or cultural legacy, to me it's like a visit to the museum visiting all the old dinosaur bones, ancient artifacts, and/or masterpieces of art".

Hairball, if you know any museum where old dinosaur bones make 50,000 or 70,000 people singing, dancing, smiling, screaming and celebrating, please, inform me about, because I would like to visit it.

What happens at Stones gigs is a completely different issue. It's the power, the incisiveness of Stones music the main factor that does move the things. You can see around people being enthusiastic with songs written years or decades before their birthdays. JJF and "Gimme Shelter" were not anthems of their generation. But these people loved many Stones songs, because the songs remained timeless, functional, in any era. I would not call it nostalgia. To me, it's rather the result of an ability that Stones music and Stones performances still have: To
be above provisional modes.

Personally, I enjoyed a lot any post - 1981 Stones song which has been played live, in the last years. Just saying that I enjoy a Stones concert either the set lists include "Worst" from 1994, "Out Of Control" from 1997 and "Doom & Gloom" from 21th Century (and, yes, "Streets of Love" that works well live!), or the most "recent" song is "Start Me Up". In every case, I feel something I take and something I lose.

But,regardless of personal preferences,I think the parallel between a museum and a rock lively celebration, it's unfair and unfounded. Otherwise, I'll wait for info as for the magical museum I wrote about,in the beginning of my post...

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 13, 2018 13:05

I was at the Isle of Wight when they didnt play Gimme Shelter or Paint It, Black but instead "treated" the audience to Rough Justice, You Got Me Rocking, Wanna Hold You and Aint To Proud To Beg. They died on their holes - at least until the part of the set when they started plating things like Miss You.

Compare to Glastonbury where they pretty much stuck to the bangers and levelled the place.

Date: June 13, 2018 13:07

They have played Out Of Control, Just Your Fool, Ride 'Em On Down, Hate To See You Go, You Got Me Rocking, Slipping Away, Like A Rolling Stone and The Worst on the No Filter-tour so far.

All of these might be called latter-day songs for the Stones (1989-2016). I'm pretty sure that's how they regard them.

It doesn't matter whether a few of them are covers. They play what they wanna play. Right now, Blue And Lonesome is the most recent music we have from them - and they play a little from that album.

Not sure if we want much more from the latter-day albums. Maybe a few more mixed in, to alternate a bit: A couple of more B&L-tracks in rotation + something from B2B and ABB + D&G?

If Hairball keeps it up, though, I'm pretty sure he'll get Streets Of Love in Poland grinning smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 13, 2018 13:37

Stones gigs have been on the pattern of nostalgia-fest for a while now and for a variety of reasons, I try a random and surely uncomplete list

1. scale of the act
2. age of the musicians
3. ideas of the man in charge of the setlist about which songs work and which dont, and why
4. (not) release of new material
5. dramatic change in the music business: revenue from tours versus from record sales

2002/2003 tour was a brilliant idea (3 gigs in some cities in theatre/arena and stadium) to add pepper to the recipe

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 13, 2018 14:55

DandelionPowderman
They have played Out Of Control, Just Your Fool, Ride 'Em On Down, Hate To See You Go, You Got Me Rocking, Slipping Away, Like A Rolling Stone and The Worst on the No Filter-tour so far.

All of these might be called latter-day songs for the Stones (1989-2016). I'm pretty sure that's how they regard them.

It doesn't matter whether a few of them are covers. They play what they wanna play. Right now, Blue And Lonesome is the most recent music we have from them - and they play a little from that album.

Not sure if we want much more from the latter-day albums. Maybe a few more mixed in, to alternate a bit: A couple of more B&L-tracks in rotation + something from B2B and ABB + D&G?

If Hairball keeps it up, though, I'm pretty sure he'll get Streets Of Love in Poland grinning smiley

Stranger things have happened! They got it in Rome 4 years ago, though I believe it was a bit of a hit in Italy. I do hope they play Angie in Poland. I know Poland very well (hence my user name despite being a Scot), have visited for over 20 years and speak the language a bit too. For some reason, the song is massive there, popular with both Stones fans and non Stones fans. No idea why. Perhaps our resident Poles can explain winking smiley .

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 13, 2018 15:44

grzegorz67

Stranger things have happened! They got it in Rome 4 years ago, though I believe it was a bit of a hit in Italy.

yes it was because it was used in a very popular ad campaign by Vodafone

Date: June 13, 2018 16:53

grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman

Stranger things have happened! They got it in Rome 4 years ago, though I believe it was a bit of a hit in Italy. I do hope they play Angie in Poland. I know Poland very well (hence my user name despite being a Scot), have visited for over 20 years and speak the language a bit too. For some reason, the song is massive there, popular with both Stones fans and non Stones fans. No idea why. Perhaps our resident Poles can explain winking smiley .

Not a big hit in Norway, but we did get it in Bergen in 2006 smiling smiley

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: June 13, 2018 17:03

Oh dear, I think, once more, Hairball is maybe getting confused between
'Exhibitionism' and live performance.

Exhibitionism = 'like a visit to a museum visiting all the old dinosaur bones'
(I was seriously underwhelmed at my London visit)

RS concert = rock and roll, nothing like the live performance, warts and all
(I was seriously overwhelmed at London1 concert)

I could go on blah blah
But it's all been said, innit?

smiling smiley

Date: June 13, 2018 17:19

DandelionPowderman
grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman

Not a big hit in Norway, but we did get it in Bergen in 2006 smiling smiley

In fairness it was a current song then, hence the winking smiley winking smiley ?(if you're talking about SOL and not Angie). I got it in Cardiff 3 days previously, though I don't specifically recall it.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: June 13, 2018 17:20

Having been to three shows this time, I only wonder why some of their other old hits don't appear. 19th Nervous Breakdown, The Last Time, It's All Over Now, Not Fade Away etc.

And I don't understand why Street Fighting Man isn't a fixture! I'd prefer that every time to, say, Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 13, 2018 18:16

nobodyimportant -I like what you say. Interesting username. Maybe not true though. Cheers!

Date: June 13, 2018 18:24

nobodyimportant
Having been to three shows this time, I only wonder why some of their other old hits don't appear. 19th Nervous Breakdown, The Last Time, It's All Over Now, Not Fade Away etc.

And I don't understand why Street Fighting Man isn't a fixture! I'd prefer that every time to, say, Tumbling Dice.

100% agreed. The band have a good few very famous songs from their 60s heyday which are better known to the general public than several of those regularly played live, yet are seldom played and have never been warhorses. All of those on your list are high on that list. NFA worked very well as the show opener on Voodoo Lounge but has barely been played since, if at all.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: June 13, 2018 19:07

I mentioned on another thread that by dropping YCAGWYW, Midnight Rambler and Miss You they would free up over 25 mins.
This would allow about 6 or 7 shorter songs.
I was at Murrayfield with Mrs GW who had never seen the band before
She could be classed as an average Josephine who was only familiar with the hits.
She was mightily impressed with the performance and noted how the whole band appeared to be loving playing live.
She couldn't believe Jagger's energy and thought his vocals were perfect.
Not being a fan she noticed a big dip in energy during Keith's songs and felt "that long song" was a bit too long - MR.
The war horses to the end were enough to leave her with an overall view that the gig was one of the best she had been to.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 13, 2018 19:27

ycagwywpmd
Oh dear, I think, once more, Hairball is maybe getting confused between
'Exhibitionism' and live performance.

Exhibitionism = 'like a visit to a museum visiting all the old dinosaur bones'
(I was seriously underwhelmed at my London visit)

RS concert = rock and roll, nothing like the live performance, warts and all
(I was seriously overwhelmed at London1 concert)

I could go on blah blah
But it's all been said, innit?

smiling smiley

Yes.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 13, 2018 19:42

GuessWho
"that long song" was a bit too long - MR.

eye popping smiley
Blasphemy!!!!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: June 13, 2018 20:02

Wild Slivovitz
GuessWho
"that long song" was a bit too long - MR.

eye popping smiley
Blasphemy!!!!

You're not married to her!

Date: June 13, 2018 21:09

laertisflash
Hairball, if you know any museum where old dinosaur bones make 50,000 or 70,000 people singing, dancing, smiling, screaming and celebrating, please, inform me about, because I would like to visit it....

Lol valid, but you failed to address the part of my post that mentioned the living artist who paints masterpieces..."While it's great to see masterpiece paintings in a museum, if the artist is still alive it's just as important to see some of his/her more recent work. Might not be up there with their best, but it does show some relevance".

laertisflash
I think the parallel between a museum and a rock lively celebration, it's unfair and unfounded. Otherwise, I'll wait for info as for the magical museum I wrote about,in the beginning of my post...

There was a movie not long ago titled Night at the Museum with Tom Hanks and Robin Williams (maybe even a sequel?), and while I never saw it, the previews showed dinosaurs dancing around the museum! winking smiley

Really though, the lack of latter day original tunes being played is not that huge of a deal to me , and has been mentioned some of them have been played at various shows during the No Filter tour. It's the shows that don't have any of that - where the newest original tune is Start Me up - those shows I find a bit peculiar. I can't think of any other working band that goes on tour and neglects/ignores nearly 40 years of their most "recent" work, and instead focuses solely on their biggies from decades ago. There's some nostalgia acts touring around who do that, but none of them have recorded anything for decades so it's understandable. The only exception I can think of is Roger Waters when he toured The Wall several years ago where the album was played from start to finish and that was it. But it was widely advertised as that, and it was no surprise when nothing else was played. There might be other bands who are doing what the Stones do, but can't think of anyone...anybody know of any?

As for Streets of Love, I saw it played several times during the ABB tour, and lets just say it's not on my wish list of latter era tunes lol. But there are a half dozen others from the the latter era that could easily be mixed in. While not everyone's favorite, Rain Fall Down worked great live the times I saw it and got the crowd really going with it's funky dance vibe. If it was played today, chances are it would have the same effect. Give Darryl another extended bass solo, and it would be a smash! lolwinking smiley

In the meantime, looking forward to the Cardiff show for yet a another trip down memory lane again, and with any luck we will be surprised with something "new"!!!

Witness
I read only a few posts on this page 15 of the thread and find myself much in sympathy with the contents of Hairball's posts here.

Maybe one also could argue directly that it is by featuring a few more recent songs that the Stones concerts would be experienced not as the mentionned nostalgia juxebox of their distant past, but therefore really as a genuine documentation of their cultural legacy. Where many periods count, but obviously some periods to a greater extent in that respect.

Presented with the viewpoint that the Rolling Stones will be remembered for quite few songs only, one may think that it is by playing some more other songs live that they at the moment may contribute to a couple of those songs, too, to be remembered at least by the very people, who are attending shows now. Those people will act as their most fresh witnesses in the near future. One tends to think that is a point of view that ought to count with Mick and Keith in choosing songs for their current setlists.

Yes, and now I'm reminded of this 2005 quote from Mick, where he was willing to take a risk and challenge the fans:

"If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits.
People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer.
If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough.

There's no harm in (touring behind a greatest hits CD) occasionally but we didn't want to do it again so soon. You become like an oldies band. We put new stuff out because we still can.
We have lots of it - it's not like we're just eking out. Rock fans tend to be conservative. Ah, I much prefer "Brown Sugar". Yeah, well, but listen to THIS, c*nt".

Yes times have changed since 2005, but kind of wish he would have the same snotty attitude today as he did back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 21:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 13, 2018 21:36

corriecas
letitloose

I thought it was boring. Just dont like the song in live gigs. Have heard it too often.
Jeroen

You're both right. Boring, but it's fun to watch the regular folks having a good time. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, and they certainly dug it in Edinburgh.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 13, 2018 22:26

DeanGoodman
corriecas
letitloose

Jeroen

You're both right. Boring, but it's fun to watch the regular folks having a good time. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, and they certainly dug it in Edinburgh.

Correction corriecas is right winking smiley It's a fact that it's played too often regardless of audience reaction.

Date: June 14, 2018 00:14

There are way more people who see the Stones only once or twice than us, Riffie. They (the majority) are over the moon about MY, and Mick knows it smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home