Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 12, 2018 13:14

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Is it a computer loop or does Chuck play the melody on UMT?

He (or is it Tim?) plays the "marimba"-parts

Probably Matt Clifford.

Date: June 12, 2018 13:35

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Is it a computer loop or does Chuck play the melody on UMT?

He (or is it Tim?) plays the "marimba"-parts

Probably Matt Clifford.

Yep, you're right.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 13:54

DP, do Matt and Chuck play any "guitar rhthym sound" to "sustain" a riff ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-12 13:57 by powerage78.

Date: June 12, 2018 13:57

powerage78
DP, do Matt and Chuck play any "guitar rhthym sound" ?

No, but Matt was awfully close on the 89/90 tours (Can't Be Seen and Rock And A Hard Place + the awful interlude on 2000 Light Years From Home).

On Steel Wheels you can hear a keyboard with an acoustic guitar sound on CBS and RAAHP (tn the bridges).

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 12, 2018 14:00

Gerry
RisingStone
A tight, solid performance, not a bad show really — there isn’t a bad Rolling Stones show, for that matter — but I felt something was thin, if not entirely missing. Call it the fifth element or whatever you name it.

I don’t think they were phoning it in or going through the motions. But in Manchester, I got the impression the band gave everything, and then some. What I felt lacked from their Edinburgh show is that some portion, a special something.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because of the crap nosebleed seat I hit on with my LD.

I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow for years and years — the moment those three words were projected on the gigantic, monolithic screens as the vote winner, I was so glad. Yet when they finished it, I found I was slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t work live that brilliantly. Clearly one of those numbers whose value rely on their rare outings in live performance rather than the actual on stage dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to hear it for sure. But once is enough.

The whole experience has left me in a somewhat anticlimactic state of mind. Just another night for me.

My two cents.

Arrived at home yesterday lately. I read your comment and agree with. I'm looking forward to hear She's a Rainbow, but I was also disappointed.

My opinion is, that there is no "red thread" of the setlist. Very mixed up. Some songs should change their position in the set.

I can also complain on the sound. It was the third time after Dusseldorf, Desert Trip 2 and now Edinburgh, that the guitars were louder adjusted than anything elso. I like it loud, but the sound wasn't good again.

I can also agree that the Band may played "usual as Business". But nothing special.

OT: Edinburgh the first time. What a city. What a landscape. Beautiful. Top!

After all, the same old story here again — while a number of people had a weekend of lifetime, some — like you and me — went home unimpressed. Human factor, that is. There isn’t a 100% perfect Rolling Stones show that satisfies everybody who is there.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 14:35

Thanks.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
DP, do Matt and Chuck play any "guitar rhthym sound" ?

No, but Matt was awfully close on the 89/90 tours (Can't Be Seen and Rock And A Hard Place + the awful interlude on 2000 Light Years From Home).

On Steel Wheels you can hear a keyboard with an acoustic guitar sound on CBS and RAAHP (tn the bridges).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Gerry ()
Date: June 12, 2018 15:48

RisingStone
Gerry
RisingStone
A tight, solid performance, not a bad show really — there isn’t a bad Rolling Stones show, for that matter — but I felt something was thin, if not entirely missing. Call it the fifth element or whatever you name it.

I don’t think they were phoning it in or going through the motions. But in Manchester, I got the impression the band gave everything, and then some. What I felt lacked from their Edinburgh show is that some portion, a special something.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because of the crap nosebleed seat I hit on with my LD.

I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow for years and years — the moment those three words were projected on the gigantic, monolithic screens as the vote winner, I was so glad. Yet when they finished it, I found I was slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t work live that brilliantly. Clearly one of those numbers whose value rely on their rare outings in live performance rather than the actual on stage dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to hear it for sure. But once is enough.

The whole experience has left me in a somewhat anticlimactic state of mind. Just another night for me.

My two cents.

Arrived at home yesterday lately. I read your comment and agree with. I'm looking forward to hear She's a Rainbow, but I was also disappointed.

My opinion is, that there is no "red thread" of the setlist. Very mixed up. Some songs should change their position in the set.

I can also complain on the sound. It was the third time after Dusseldorf, Desert Trip 2 and now Edinburgh, that the guitars were louder adjusted than anything elso. I like it loud, but the sound wasn't good again.

I can also agree that the Band may played "usual as Business". But nothing special.

After all, the same old story here again — while a number of people had a weekend of lifetime, some — like you and me — went home unimpressed. Human factor, that is. There isn’t a 100% perfect Rolling Stones show that satisfies everybody who is there.

It was a very nice weekend spent in Edinburgh. But yes, I saw better shows, where I was much more satisfied.
Yes, they're older. They are all in their 70ies. But compared to 1989/90 and 1994/1995 the last shows were a bit unimpressed for me. I can't explain why. Maybe I saw them 1995 for the first time and it was impressive to see THE STONES live. I got tears in my eyes to hear the songs for the first time live.
But the setlists at that time feel more "straight forward" than now.

Why paint it black is played between ycagwyw and honky tonk women or miss you between sympathy and midnight rambler?

And again. The sound was till 2006 much better than now. But yes, these are only my feelings and statements. Sorry.

Date: June 12, 2018 15:58

Gerry
RisingStone
Gerry
RisingStone

My two cents.

It was a very nice weekend spent in Edinburgh. But yes, I saw better shows, where I was much more satisfied.
Yes, they're older. They are all in their 70ies. But compared to 1989/90 and 1994/1995 the last shows were a bit unimpressed for me. I can't explain why. Maybe I saw them 1995 for the first time and it was impressive to see THE STONES live. I got tears in my eyes to hear the songs for the first time live.

Why paint it black is played between ycagwyw and honky tonk women or miss you between sympathy and midnight rambler?

And again. The sound was till 2006 much better than now. But yes, these are only my feelings and statements. Sorry.

Hmm..

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 12, 2018 16:08

Great show, great energy! Loved it!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 12, 2018 16:26

Gerry
RisingStone
Gerry
RisingStone

My two cents.

As much as i enjoyed the show in Manchester last week i can't help but feel a little disjointed, i'm certainly not as excited to see them Friday.
For me its the waste of time that Miss You is, 10 minutes of the show down the drain for me. YCAGWYW the same. Shattered a surprise but weak. LSTNT no guts to it. YGTS lovely but we heard it too many times before Keith.
I found myself being there and enjoying the sound but half the time wishing they played something else. I felt a little had to be honest, that's taking nothing away from the way they played, Keith and the rest of them were great in fact, but it was just too predictable for my liking.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 12, 2018 16:31

Same here, I can definitely do without Miss You and YCAGWYW.

dead.flowers

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 12, 2018 17:14

dimrstone
Bitter Sweet Symphony
Great performance by Richard Ashcroft in Edinburgh.
Very worth opening for the Stones!
[www.youtube.com]

Thank you~
I would have loved to have been where you were standing to hear the song correctly/audio clear live.
I have read some recent-er interviews w/ Richard and I like him personally too.
I’m not sure of his mannequin w/ the Jagger shirt behind him on stage grinning smiley
but
WELL DONE ******

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-12 17:15 by 35love.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: June 12, 2018 17:21

Miss You and YCAGWYW; boring songs. Why in the setlist? Only for: Can you sing .....?

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: June 12, 2018 17:44

I see the stones play since 1976. I do not compare any period any concert, I take as they are and it's always a lot of fun. Each show is different but I like that !! The only regret is the price of tickets I can not do all the concerts and not all in the Pit! Edinburgh was a big concert of the Stones!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 12, 2018 19:25

YCAGWYW is one of the 10 - 15 best Stones songs, IMO. It's a classic song for sure. An rock anthem, I would say. But here some folks are calling it "boring"... What can I say?

In Edinburgh I validated, once again, that the songs which make the audiences absolutely enthusiastic are ALL included in the "black list" of some IORRians. The "please, drop these" list... Fortunately,the Stones are not fools!

Rolling Stones - Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 12, 2018 20:13

© J.Bouquet

> LARGE version <

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 12, 2018 20:33

laertisflash
YCAGWYW is one of the 10 - 15 best Stones songs, IMO. It's a classic song for sure. An rock anthem, I would say. But here some folks are calling it "boring"... What can I say?

In Edinburgh I validated, once again, that the songs which make the audiences absolutely enthusiastic are ALL included in the "black list" of some IORRians. The "please, drop these" list... Fortunately,the Stones are not fools!

Nostalgia can be very powerful, and many old Stones tunes are classic and timeless. But the fact is they have so many classic and timeless tunes that it would be nice to mix things up once in awhile beyond the standard warhorses. Not saying they should all be dropped (though it would make for a good show anyways imo), but mix them up from show to show - and I'm not talking about just changing their places within the setlist.
Does every show need Miss You? Does every show need YCAGWYW? Does every show need Tumbling Dice? Due to the nostalgia factor perhaps so, but if one or the other was changed out for some other classic, it would add a bit of variety and doubt anyone would complain.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 12, 2018 20:39

Forgive me, but listen to the Rolling Stones fans Miss You and YCAGWYW are boring songs ...confused smiley Hallucinating!

Date: June 12, 2018 21:01

laertisflash

Yes but if you take into account Miss You has been the stable diet live since 1978, it does become boring for concert attendees, there are so many equal if not better songs to play, not only that but a lot of fans who love Miss You would surely sacrifice it for two songs in its place such as Ruby Tuesday and Waiting On A Friend, even Memory Motel, the list goes on.

If i was Mick Jagger and i wrote the depth of songs that he and Keith have, i would be so proud of my work that i would want the world to hear as much of it as possible, especially live. I actually think Mick has little interest in the songs he has written as long as they earn him maximum profit at the box office, job done as far as he is concerned.

Date: June 12, 2018 21:16

I enjoyed the hell out of Miss You. Loved every second of it. So much better than on other tours.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 21:29

keithsman
laertisflash

Yes but if you take into account Miss You has been the stable diet live since 1978, it does become boring for concert attendees, there are so many equal if not better songs to play, not only that but a lot of fans who love Miss You would surely sacrifice it for two songs in its place such as Ruby Tuesday and Waiting On A Friend, even Memory Motel, the list goes on.

If i was Mick Jagger and i wrote the depth of songs that he and Keith have, i would be so proud of my work that i would want the world to hear as much of it as possible, especially live. I actually think Mick has little interest in the songs he has written as long as they earn him maximum profit at the box office, job done as far as he is concerned.
y

Would love to hear waiting on a friend of ruby tuesday. If they did memory motel, I have gone to heaven.

I did kind of notice when dead flowers was played at Coventry, there was a few blank expressions.

Date: June 12, 2018 21:43

PaintMonkeyManBlack
I enjoyed the hell out of Miss You. Loved every second of it. So much better than on other tours.

Well good for you, so why is Miss You so good this time compared to other tours ? why do you need to hear that particular song played live instead of other great songs that don't get a look in.
Would you not like to hear Mick sing Let It Loose, Sweet Black Angel, Memory Motel, Tops, Waiting On A Friend, Angie, Salt Of The Earth ? Mick could easily fit two of these songs in every other show to replace Miss You.
Miss You is my toilet break but unfortunately i didn't need to go last week so had to suffer it.

To be fair at Manchester the crowd sounded exited when we heard the start of MY, then after a couple minutes people appeared to get bored except for watching Ronnie and Keith meeting and greeting and grinning and grinning some more.
So when you go to see a Stones gig you want to hear the same songs over and over again, that's cool, i respect that, but why is it a problem that some of us are bored with Miss You. I don't mean you personally, just generally i feel like i am out of order for daring to say i'm bored with songs like that.
I can understand a casual fan wanting to hear Miss You and YCAGWYW but not a hardcore fan.
Don't get me wrong it's great song for playing to the audience but why can't it be replaced for equally good songs, now that we are all so familiar with Miss You.

Date: June 12, 2018 22:18

keithsman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Well good for you, so why is Miss You so good this time compared to other tours ? why do you need to hear that particular song played live instead of other great songs that don't get a look in.
Would you not like to hear Mick sing Let It Loose, Sweet Black Angel, Memory Motel, Tops, Waiting On A Friend, Angie, Salt Of The Earth ? Mick could easily fit two of these songs in every other show to replace Miss You.
Miss You is my toilet break but unfortunately i didn't need to go last week so had to suffer it.

To be fair at Manchester the crowd sounded exited when we heard the start of MY, then after a couple minutes people appeared to get bored except for watching Ronnie and Keith meeting and greeting and grinning and grinning some more.
So when you go to see a Stones gig you want to hear the same songs over and over again, that's cool, i respect that, but why is it a problem that some of us are bored with Miss You. I don't mean you personally, just generally i feel like i am out of order for daring to say i'm bored with songs like that.
I can understand a casual fan wanting to hear Miss You and YCAGWYW but not a hardcore fan.
Don't get me wrong it's great song for playing to the audience but why can't it be replaced for equally good songs, now that we are all so familiar with Miss You.

Ofcourse i would like to hear tops and heaven. It is not up to us what songs they play. It is up to them. And if you dont like it (as you basicly say you would prefer a toilet break instead of having to endure the horror called miss you)you have the choice to not spend a small fortune.

On all four no filter shows i saw it was the turning point where the crowd got really going.

Anyway I just said i enjoy miss you. Not expected to having to defend myself for liking a stones song

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: June 12, 2018 22:25

Miss You has grown in popularity in recent years among younger and newer Stones fans. Not playing it would piss people off, particularly folk who only go to one show.

Whereas if you go to multiple shows, a lot of setlist repetition is the price you're going to pay.

Date: June 12, 2018 22:28

PaintMonkeyManBlack
keithsman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Ofcourse i would like to hear tops and heaven. It is not up to us what songs they play. It is up to them. And if you dont like it (as you basicly say you would prefer a toilet break instead of having to endure the horror called miss you)you have the choice to not spend a small fortune.

On all four no filter shows i saw it was the turning point where the crowd got really going.

Anyway I just said i enjoy miss you. Not expected to having to defend myself for liking a stones song

It's not that, i just don't understand why i feel apologetic for being bored with Miss You, i have every right to be sick of it. Why should i miss out on the chance of seeing my heroes live on home turf because i don't like Miss You.
I'm ok that some of you still enjoy it, you don't need to defend yourself, i just wondered why it was better this year, lots of people saying it was better this year. confused smiley
Wouldn't different songs be better too ?

Date: June 12, 2018 22:35

Yes i would prefer other songs. But i accept the fact that they decide the setlist and not me. Dont waste energy on things you have no control over.

Date: June 12, 2018 22:41

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Yes i would prefer other songs. But i accept the fact that they decide the setlist and not me. Dont waste energy on things you have no control over.

Very true PaintMonkeymanBlack, i need to get over it and enjoy the rest of the show thumbs up

Date: June 12, 2018 22:48

Rock on my friend

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 22:59

CaledonianGonzo
Miss You has grown in popularity in recent years among younger and newer Stones fans. Not playing it would piss people off, particularly folk who only go to one show.

Whereas if you go to multiple shows, a lot of setlist repetition is the price you're going to pay.

Yep you've hit the nail on the head. 99% of the audience are going to one Rolling Stones show each tour (i.e. every 5 years or so) or per decade or once in their life. The 99% of the audience want to see these amazing songs.

If you go to several gigs per tour we already know that they play three quarters of the set list the same each show. Why complain? Especially when they more often than not play those songs BETTER than the ones they play less often. And especially when they play on average a quarter of the songs different each night! That in itself is quite an achievement.

If you can't stand seeing the same 3/4 of the set list the same multiple times on a tour, only go to one show. Likewise, if you can't stand hearing these songs more than once per decade, only go once every 20 years. It really is quite simple.

For me, I find it hard to bore of a song when I get to see it live once every five years or so...

Date: June 12, 2018 22:59

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Rock on my friend

smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home