Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 13 of 16
Re: Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 11, 2018 07:01

ThroughTheLonelyNights
Cristiano Radtke
Edinburgh hotel departure (short video)

"Thank you Edinburgh for welcoming us in to your beautiful country"

[www.instagram.com]

Scotland rules! What a nice gesture and the audience at the show must have been great too from the reports we got. That´s the way it has to be.

Looking forward to Berlin and Stuttgart hoping the crowds will be enthusiastic like that. But to be honest I am a little afraid of the local security guys at the show who are sometimes over accurate, especially in the seated fos section ruining the vibes because they like to force you to stand exactely in your place without moving one little step where you rather like to dance and cheer the band....PLEASE RS Security Staff have an eye on those local securities...we pay a lot, but those guys sometimes ruin the whole atmosphere...

Security staff doesn't decide whether people sit on their seats looking somehow bored/intellectual or (like in Edinburgh) they are stading up singing and dancing.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 09:26

We just happened to pass the stones hotel on the saturday morning, and was surprised how many people were outside.

We also passed it on the sunday by the train station and once again a big crowd in attendance.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: June 11, 2018 09:38

Just posted my Edinburgh pics on Love you Live:

[www.facebook.com]

Enjoy!

Hendrik Mulder

Date: June 11, 2018 10:52

The only slight thing that spoilt it for me on saturday, was that some idiots were throwing the plastic glasses of what ever was in them onto the crowd.

I really thought them days were over.

Date: June 11, 2018 11:47

Great photos Hendrik!!!

Date: June 11, 2018 11:56

So, my review;

Our trip started on Friday. I was really suprised how many stones fans where on the plane. I think 50% was there for the show. I have been to Edinburgh before and knew it was one of Europe’s finest cities. I was very suprised to see a lot of sunshine. After the sightseeing we went to Bannermans Bar. What a great club this is! The Suitcase Junket played fantastic and there were only Stones fans. The Dirty Strangers I found a little dissapointing, the Suitcase Junket stole the show. I just love being in a place where everybody wears Stones gear, and tattoo’s. Make me feel happy. Also nice to see Charlotte Watts there. She was very friendly to all the other fans.

Showday had arrived and I decided I wanted to pick up my Lucky Dips early because I could not wait any longer. After a cheap and fast taxi drive I arrived at the ticket building, where there was no one waiting. One couple walked out with seat tickets. After a little talk I got an enveloppe which i’m pretty sure they knew it was a LUCKY one. After opening it I could not believe it, PIT B ! I was so buzzed and thanked the lovely ladies who gave me the tickets. Very happy too I could make someone happy with my GA tickets.

After some relaxing in the hotel we went to the pub next to Haymarket Hub. After some mediocre food (I really don’t like the english kitchen) and some drinks we decided it was time to go to the stadium. The atmosphere outside at the pub was not the one I was looking for. Lots of happy Stones fans for sure, but the view of road constructions and trams while having to stay behind a rope is not ideal.

West fan village was boring. No music and nothing to do or see. At 3.45 there was a soundcheck, i heard Under my Thumb, She’s a Rainbow and Tumbling Dice. 4.30 the gates opened and it was time to check out the pit. Now I have been to the front (even rail) a few times before and altough the view is great, I just hate waiting and not being able to walk arround, going to the toilet and getting beer. With these pit tickets you can have the best of both worlds. Fantastic! But GC places are great to. Better than Europe 2017. One think I most love in the pit is watching people coming in and not believing how cool the pit is.

Richard Aschcroft brought some die hard fans with him in the pit who seemed to have a great party. Richard looked fantastic (like a clone of jagger/wood) with a great jacket and a Stones shirt. His set was amazing. One of the best warm ups I have seen.

Then it was showtime. Due the rain there was not so much time to prepare the stage but the crew worked very hard so the Stones could start at 8.20. Keith comes on with a great smile, does his riff and….. nothing… turns up the volume and then we get a classic version of Scarf me Up. But to be honest, except the first riff it was a fantastic rocking version. The sound was the best I have ever heard. So loud and clear. Just wow.

Keith was so focussed. Every now and then he went to smoke behind the drum kit but he looked so happy. Also he and Mick are getting along so well.

LSTNT was great, as was IORR and Dice. The band sure was in great spirits. UMT was a bit boring for me (sounded thin) and REOD would not be my choice for the blues number. Loved Rainbow. I heard the best SFTD version since I don’t know when. Very good. Miss You is so great on this tour. Love that song nowadays. Mick did not gave his guitar to his guitar tech, but threw it.

Rambler was hard rocking. Mick did a blues bit in the middle, Keith played a lick when he should not have done it. You should see Mick’s face (bv has a perfect picture of this moment). Afther that it was a homerun. Very well played warhorses. Sasha looked great but is no Lisa. Good to see some decent fireworks.

I absolutely loved this show. A lot of how you perceive the show is influenced by the sound, your seats, your neighbours but also your own mood. I did go to shows where they played fantastic but there was something missing for me (Amsterdam 2006, Arnhem 2017). Also I did go to shows where they did no play so well but i loved every second (Madrid 2007, Hamburg 2017). But this show had it all (like Paris 2006, Slane 2007)

Thank you Stones! Thank you Edinburgh!

Wrapup:

Keith is very very good and focussed.
Ronnie is very very good and clowning arround
Charlie is very very good and happy
Mick is very very good, focussed, clowing arround and happy.

Date: June 11, 2018 11:58

This is the moment in MR where I am talking about. One of my highlights

(picture from bv)

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:46

Back in home,now... Solid gig, with many excellent parts and showstopping moments, which can not be overshadowed by a few mistakes, of course. Great audience. I suppose that the particular level of enthusiasm is the higher you can live in the whole North Europe (South is another issue). And an AMAZING city, with nicest people, of course.

More later. And maybe a complete review, if I can be in time for it. Now I have to evacuate the suitcases...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:50

odean73
The only slight thing that spoilt it for me on saturday, was that some idiots were throwing the plastic glasses of what ever was in them onto the crowd.

Welcome to Scotland odean sad smiley Loutish public drinking and the resultant arsehole anti-social behaviour is an increasing problem throughout the UK but it's always been worse in Scotland than anywhere else. And I say that with great shame as a native Scot. I parked in a side street on the other side of the railway line near Tynecastle Park, an area I know very well as a Hearts supporter. When my cousin and I returned to the car after the show we saw loads of people staggering about in a drunken stupour, many of whom were female.

2 rows in front of me were 3 drunk guys in their mid 30s standing in front of mostly older fans, all seated and whose view they blocked. They hung onto one another swayed around, spilling drinks on those around them and continually bumped into people. They had GA wristbands and shouldn't even have been there. I went to security to complain (they were useless) and when I returned they'd thankfully gone.

It beats me why people would pay good money for an entertainment event, be it sport, music or other and get into that sort of state, impairing their own enjoyment of it and that of those around them if they behave like dicks.

At Coventry, there was stuff being chucked around in the crowd too - a plastic pot of clear liquid (!!???) hitting Mick on the back towards the end of Gimme Shelter.

Maybe at 51, I'm becoming an intolerant old curmudgeon before my time... eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 14:52 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 11, 2018 15:10

After some mediocre food (I really don’t like the english kitchen) ...

Pity our Scottish and English friends to be hit like that.

Date: June 11, 2018 15:35

grzegorz67
odean73

Welcome to Scotland odean sad smiley Loutish public drinking and the resultant arsehole anti-social behaviour is an increasing problem throughout the UK but it's always been worse in Scotland than anywhere else. And I say that with great shame as a native Scot. I parked in a side street on the other side of the railway line near Tynecastle Park, an area I know very well as a Hearts supporter. When my cousin and I returned to the car after the show we saw loads of people staggering about in a drunken stupour, many of whom were female.

2 rows in front of me were 3 drunk guys in their mid 30s standing in front of mostly older fans, all seated and whose view they blocked. They hung onto one another swayed around, spilling drinks on those around them and continually bumped into people. They had GA wristbands and shouldn't even have been there. I went to security to complain (they were useless) and when I returned they'd thankfully gone.

It beats me why people would pay good money for an entertainment event, be it sport, music or other and get into that sort of state, impairing their own enjoyment of it and that of those around them if they behave like dicks.

At Coventry, there was stuff being chucked around in the crowd too - a plastic pot of clear liquid (!!???) hitting Mick on the back towards the end of Gimme Shelter.

Maybe at 51, I'm becoming an intolerant old curmudgeon before my time... eye rolling smiley

Yes i recall you saying about the coventry incident and sadly it can happen any where.

There were a few drunks by us and acting around and i said to my Mrs, that i am going towards the back, where i can do my own thing comfortably.
To her credit she stayed with her nephew and friends.

Don't get me wrong i really enjoyed the Scottish hospitality and how every one was so friendly, one guy put his arm around me during rainbow and started singing with me and one couple said we was going the wrong way to the concert as we was heading back to our accommodation to freshen up after visiting the castle.

its always small things like this, that make it.

Just got Cardiff left now.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: June 11, 2018 17:14

I think I did warn people about the potential for overly-drunk fans. Grzegorz67 - I agree about becoming less tolerant the older I get (53). It's just the luck of the draw really, as to who you end up next to. The Murrayfield Hotel bar, both inside and outside, had a good atmosphere before and after the show. Face-painting Stones tongues, and people happily enjoying plenty of drinks without totally over-doing it.

GC where I was had a fantastic atmosphere. Lots of singing, cheering and dancing. Hugs all round during and after the show. Happy, smiling faces, and no "statues" nearby. Later on at the Murrayfield Bar (as opposed to hotel), a bar room brawl broke out which carried on into the street at closing time. Both men and women involved. Sounded like Glasgow accents to me. The bouncers eventually dealt with it and police arrived later to take statements. Bar staff were a bit miffed to say the least, as they must have witnessed obnoxious, drunken behaviour all day.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the 3 drunk guys at the gig. It's disappointing to hear this but not entirely surprising! It was still a brilliant gig, and a fantastic couple of days build up etc.

[

quote=grzegorz67]
odean73

Maybe at 51, I'm becoming an intolerant old curmudgeon before my time... eye rolling smiley[/quote]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 11, 2018 18:54

dead.flowers

LOL.
And, obnoxious drunks sux.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: June 11, 2018 18:57

Back home after a fun weekend in Edinburgh! Great great gig!
For me it was the closest to the stage I ever been. We were at Pit B.
Lost my voice from cheering and singing along.
The audience was the best. Everybody on their feet from the beginning.

SomeTorontoGirl was great meeting you cool smiley

Got a great gift from Ronnie smileys with beer
ITZ7aT5%ScSRqGWRHb5eww by rstoned, on Flickr

sXYi0pYES4ew3Jnx3OLHPw by rstoned, on Flickr

And shot a great video of Sympathy from pit B
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 19:07 by dimrstone.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 11, 2018 19:41

35love
dead.flowers

LOL.
And, obnoxious drunks sux.
Great food in Scotland. Just don't chose the battered ones. Lots of good, fresh meat, fish in various styles. Got myselves salmon, lamb, steak, scallops and good beer amd whisky.
. The smoked ones like Talisker, Lagavulin, Lafroig, Ardmore...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 21:13

She's a rainbow is quite good.
Lot of fun for Mick.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 11, 2018 22:01

powerage78
She's a rainbow is quite good.
Lot of fun for Mick.

Yeah, he looked delighted, didn't he? grinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2018 22:07

grinning smiley
Love this song though.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: June 11, 2018 22:50

Beast
TE
Rainbow

Only me or does Mick look like "why do we play this"
Just got home, wasn't there.
Found the video. Looks like he hates the B pit.

Probably just me. Will read all tomorrow...

TE
Oslo

Oh, right. I wondered why he ripped off his T-shirt and threw it into the pit B crowd.

OK OK, lol, found a better video. Still can't find any T-shirts to the crowd that night. But who cares, one of the best songs they do.
Sorry Beast.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: June 11, 2018 23:14

Yet another brilliant show....made all the better after sneaking past lax security into Gold circle (even though I would have had a very decent seat).

Date: June 12, 2018 02:23

Midnight Rampler

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 12, 2018 02:25

Great videos Dimrstone - thanks so much!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 12, 2018 02:32

daniel t wrote:

"Some people really believe that Keith's botched intro of SMU is on purpose??? Come on.... I hope it's not true 'cause it would be an immense lack of respect for the audience who pays 200, 300 and 400 Euros.... not mentioning the fact that they play 19 songs...I think he simply doesn't have the ability he had some years ago when he was younger. Simple as that... well I hope, though. Otherwise, how can you explain his many other fu..ups in other songs later in the concert???"

I don't think Keith did it on purpose, agree with you on that. But I strongly disagree with your claim about "his many other fu..ups in other songs later". Keith's notable bad moments were (a) the intro of SMU and (b) a "numb" part of "Happy". Any other mistake or "mistake" was factoid. (Believe me, on some boots from 1978 you could hear more mistakes!). His overall performance was solid in Edinburgh (and it included good solos IMO). Keith is really good on the tour overall, I would say.

As for the botched intro, I don’t think that a kind of “Scarf Me Up” syndrome does really exist. Maybe something like “opening riffs” syndrome, which is… visiting Keith from time to time … Because what happens sometimes with SMU (as opener) since 2013, it had been observed with “Brown Sugar” several times in 2003. Also, listening to boots from 1981, I have heard some unrecognisable intros of “Under My Thumb”. And Keith was 37 years younger then.

So, I don’t have the impression that the whole “opening riffs” issue has mainly to do with Keith’s age. IMO it has basically to do with factors affecting Keith’s nervousness or Keith’s “serenity”, when a gig starts. Don’t ask me more, it’s hard to “diagnose” Keith’s soul…

In Edinburgh the gig started with a “scarf me up” but it turned, quickly, to “hey, these old devils started us up once again, like no one else can do it…”. And that’s what matters to me.

Date: June 12, 2018 02:37

SomeTorontoGirl
Great videos Dimrstone - thanks so much!

Thank you, you're very kind.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 12, 2018 07:52

Did anyone notice Keith had to turn up his guitar, hence the reason there was no sound on the first riff. He made a small gesture of disappointment and I suspect that threw him off a little bit. He recovered well in my opinion. But Happy was another story, haha.

Posted by: Gerry ()
Date: June 12, 2018 08:51

RisingStone
A tight, solid performance, not a bad show really — there isn’t a bad Rolling Stones show, for that matter — but I felt something was thin, if not entirely missing. Call it the fifth element or whatever you name it.

I don’t think they were phoning it in or going through the motions. But in Manchester, I got the impression the band gave everything, and then some. What I felt lacked from their Edinburgh show is that some portion, a special something.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because of the crap nosebleed seat I hit on with my LD.

I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow for years and years — the moment those three words were projected on the gigantic, monolithic screens as the vote winner, I was so glad. Yet when they finished it, I found I was slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t work live that brilliantly. Clearly one of those numbers whose value rely on their rare outings in live performance rather than the actual on stage dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to hear it for sure. But once is enough.

The whole experience has left me in a somewhat anticlimactic state of mind. Just another night for me.

My two cents.

Arrived at home yesterday lately. I read your comment and agree with. I'm looking forward to hear She's a Rainbow, but I was also disappointed.

My opinion is, that there is no "red thread" of the setlist. Very mixed up. Some songs should change their position in the set.

I can also complain on the sound. It was the third time after Dusseldorf, Desert Trip 2 and now Edinburgh, that the guitars were louder adjusted than anything elso. I like it loud, but the sound wasn't good again.

I can also agree that the Band may played "usual as Business". But nothing special.

OT: Edinburgh the first time. What a city. What a landscape. Beautiful. Top!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 12, 2018 10:39

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-12 11:28 by keithsman.

Date: June 12, 2018 10:51

Stoneage
Is it a computer loop or does Chuck play the melody on UMT?

He (or is it Tim?) plays the "marimba"-parts, just like Mac did in 1981 and Chuck himself did in 1982. Ronnie also plays the melody. Keith plays reggae- and soul-licks.

I think it sounds good smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-12 10:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 12, 2018 12:35

Bitter Sweet Symphony
Great performance by Richard Ashcroft in Edinburgh.
Very worth opening for the Stones!
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 12, 2018 12:40

Any video of Keith set ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 13 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home