Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16
Re: Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: JoolsH ()
Date: June 10, 2018 18:22

I second Rip This' sentiments. Which song was it please? Saw the 2 London shows, Cardiff and Twickers next and hope they repeat this!! Warms my heart, it does! Like the old days!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 10, 2018 18:39

JoolsH
I second Rip This' sentiments. Which song was it please? Saw the 2 London shows, Cardiff and Twickers next and hope they repeat this!! Warms my heart, it does! Like the old days!

On lets spend the night together.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 18:44 by corriecas.

Rolling Stones - Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 10, 2018 18:41

Music review: The Rolling Stones, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Lisa Ferguson

By Chris Mackinnon
Sunday 10 June 2018

The Rolling Stones, Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

The numbers are scary. It’s 54 years since they first played here at the comparatively intimate Usher Hall and 58 since Mick and Keith bumped into one another at Dartford train station after losing touch for a few years. There’s even a plaque to commemorate that event.

They know how to make an entrance, arriving in the capital in their own private jet. Although these days, the hotel rooms are safe. No TVs will be hurled out the window on this visit. Mick even managed a wee jaunt to the Pentland Hills the other day to relax.

They start with Start Me Up, of course they did, which turned out to be the most recent song they played having been on 1981’s Tattoo You and then it was an oldie jukebox all the way going straight into Let Spend the Night Together and It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll, The dice tumbled and a little banter from the front man, drily mentioning that they’d likely be leaving Murrayfield a little happier than the last Englishmen who visited. “You’ll be supporting us when we get to the semi-final of the World cup though, won’t ya?”. We’ll get back to you on that Michael.

One of the most overwhelming aspects of the evening was how much they were clearly enjoying themselves, Keith in particular. The man never stopped grinning.

The obligatory cover, an old Jimmy Reed track next and then back to business, specifically a fan-voted option of one of their rare psychedelic tracks She’s A Rainbow with Ronnie Wood providing glorious slide guitar backing. You Can’t Always get What You Want provided an invite from Jagger for a sing-along. Challenge accepted. More banter from the ageless frontman along the lines of “gie it laldy” and “ you’ll have had yer tea” and into a slow but rather wonderful Paint It Black which bled into Honky Tonk Women and some more chat, Mick claiming they’d all come here on the trams. Aye, right.

At this juncture, old rubber lips took a break and Keith took over, belting out You Got The Silver and Happy. Still grinning like a loon.

Mick returned front of stage for Sympathy For The Devil, the crowd filling in on the “whoo-hoo” bit before even the backing singers did. A few more classics, they’re all classics really and a quick break and into a storming Gimme Shelter on which backing vocalist Sasha Allen was given free reign to wander out to the end of the walkway to duet with the main man and then Satisfaction to close.

There’s not a single person here, on and off-stage, who isn’t aware this is a bit of a nostalgia-fest and there’s nothing wrong with that and to listen to the roar that greeted them on stage was something else. And despite the predictable demographic, there was a surprising amount of well under 30s there too, all of whom seem word perfect on the lyrics, which is rather pleasing. The last time?

[www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com]

Date: June 10, 2018 18:48

Lisa Ferguson

Lisa Ferguson

Date: June 10, 2018 18:51

Lisa Ferguson

Lisa Ferguson

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 10, 2018 19:50

Erik_Snow
Funny, except Start Me Up and Miss You - all songs comes from the Jones or Taylor era. Well, Ride Em on Down is also an exception, but that's a coversong

Never thought of it like that, and thought something was a bit odd when looking at the setlist, but you've cleared it up for me.
Wonder how Ronnie feels playing a show where 90% of the setlist are songs he originally had no part in - it's almost like playing in a covers band for him.

Silver Dagger
12 of last night's 19 songs were from the 60s. Interesting.

Hmmm, that's another interesting/odd fact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 19:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 10, 2018 19:55

Hello,

Back home after a fun weekend in Edinburgh- loved the show! We had rubbish LDs but took a chance and walked to the entrance for GC/Pit B and to my surprise and delight, nobody checked any tickets so GC it was!

The band are clearly having a ball and it shows: I think that the levels were a couple of percent lower than at Manchester but honestly, I'm splitting hairs by even thinking that!

Kudos to all in that crowd, except for the couple who barged in and then made nuisances of themselves: they deserve and belong together, hah-hah! Everyone left that stadium grinning like idiots...and that continued into the night too!

IMG_0337 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0328 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0305 (1) by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0262 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0155 (1) by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0216 (1) by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0088 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0146 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_1368 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0228 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

IMG_0342 by nicholl.simon, on Flickr

Great to meet Fillmore, Topi, Mr Jimmy and Pierre de B., as well as a few other loons along the way!Sorry not to meet-up with Mike, Gordon, Iain,STG, Beast and Bjornulf to name a few. Another time I hope! Safe travels home...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 20:57 by SimonN.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 10, 2018 19:55

From where we sat (lower tier, West stand) both PiT A & B looked extremely packed. How was it really like, in there? Overcrowded, or comfortable to move around?

Re: Rolling Stones - Edinburgh UK 9-June-2018
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 10, 2018 20:00

bye bye johnny

I vote for this as the new picture on the IORR homepage. This picture on a tee-shirt I would definitely buy.

Date: June 10, 2018 20:26

I agree Sicilian - such a great shot of Mick and Keith. thumbs up

And thanks for posting the review above bye bye johnny.

[www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com]

"There’s not a single person here, on and off-stage, who isn’t aware this is a bit of a nostalgia-fest and there’s nothing wrong with that and to listen to the roar that greeted them on stage was something else".

That pretty much sums it all up, but still think it would be nice if they added something form the latter era (post '81)- I can think of a half a dozen tunes that would be great to hear live.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 10, 2018 20:52

Still amazed they didn't do something special with a few songs from Some Girls, the album TURNED 40 LAST NIGHT!!!!!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: June 10, 2018 20:56

Shes Like a Rainbow

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 10, 2018 21:05

RoughJusticeOnYa
From where we sat (lower tier, West stand) both PiT A & B looked extremely packed. How was it really like, in there? Overcrowded, or comfortable to move around?
On the back is was perfect but think whole pit was perfect. Went to toilet on ycagww and was back on my spot in 5 min

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 10, 2018 21:46

A tight, solid performance, not a bad show really — there isn’t a bad Rolling Stones show, for that matter — but I felt something was thin, if not entirely missing. Call it the fifth element or whatever you name it.

I don’t think they were phoning it in or going through the motions. But in Manchester, I got the impression the band gave everything, and then some. What I felt lacked from their Edinburgh show is that some portion, a special something.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because of the crap nosebleed seat I hit on with my LD.

I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow for years and years — the moment those three words were projected on the gigantic, monolithic screens as the vote winner, I was so glad. Yet when they finished it, I found I was slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t work live that brilliantly. Clearly one of those numbers whose value rely on their rare outings in live performance rather than the actual on stage dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to hear it for sure. But once is enough.

The whole experience has left me in a somewhat anticlimactic state of mind. Just another night for me.

My two cents.

Date: June 10, 2018 22:16

Perhaps I will sound like a stones fan posting in a stones fans forum....

Anyway...

Keith Richards is the only guitar player in this planet who may start SMU however he likes....

Maybe a skilled 14 years old guitar player nails it but you know I prefer Keith.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 10, 2018 22:20

RisingStone
A tight, solid performance, not a bad show really — there isn’t a bad Rolling Stones show, for that matter — but I felt something was thin, if not entirely missing. Call it the fifth element or whatever you name it.

I don’t think they were phoning it in or going through the motions. But in Manchester, I got the impression the band gave everything, and then some. What I felt lacked from their Edinburgh show is that some portion, a special something.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because of the crap nosebleed seat I hit on with my LD.

I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow for years and years — the moment those three words were projected on the gigantic, monolithic screens as the vote winner, I was so glad. Yet when they finished it, I found I was slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t work live that brilliantly. Clearly one of those numbers whose value rely on their rare outings in live performance rather than the actual on stage dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to hear it for sure. But once is enough.

The whole experience has left me in a somewhat anticlimactic state of mind. Just another night for me.

My two cents.

Understand perfectly

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 10, 2018 22:41

Got back home after the dreaded train journey back to Brum.

Seven and half hour journey, but there we go.

First thing a big thank you to Scotland and also the people, I cheekily wore my England stones t shirt and a few people said nice shirt etc.

I would say the best crowd i have witnessed for a stones concert and the second half i went towards the back and it was still a great atmosphere, with loads of people dancing.

I thought the sound seemed a bit tinny, until Honky Toni women, nice to hear rainbow, but would have preferred heart breaker.

Stand outs for me was ycagwyw, silver, really enjoyed happy and midnight rambler, but all enjoyed.

But disappointed with the stadium organisation, tried about 2 different entrances for G A and then found we had to climb over seats to get back to the path way and also at the end the concourse toilets were all blocked off, I thought something had gone on as there were a few men arguing but then noticed all the toilets were blocked off.

Walked back to town and finished the night off with a couple bottles of wine.

Apologies Simon for not contacting you, I think my nephews and their friends were entertaining me and me them.

I had a couple of stones virgins with me and they were absolutely blown away, the one said what have I been missing and should have listened to me years ago, the other one was looking to go to Studgart, and said this can t be my last show this year, all the under 30,s loved it, absolutely.

Just have cardiff now and in the G C when it my tickets turn up.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: June 10, 2018 22:44

emotionalbarbecue

Anyway...

Keith Richards is the only guitar player in this planet who may start SMU however he likes....

Maybe a skilled 14 years old guitar player nails it but you know I prefer Keith.

Yeah, spoken like a true fan!

When I heard it (I wasn't there) it took me right back to Hyde Park 1 (I was there) where they opened with SMU, fluffed in a very similar way. And y'know what? None of the people I was with even noticed, which astonished me at the time

Interesting too, in the press review kindly posted by bye bye johnny above, the journalist makes no mention of it, that I find surprising too.

Seems like the only whingers are here.
The rest of Jo Public, Casual Fan, call them what you like, are too busy having a great time.

Hmmm ..........

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 10, 2018 22:53

ycagwywpmd
emotionalbarbecue

Anyway...

When I heard it (I wasn't there) it took me right back to Hyde Park 1 (I was there) where they opened with SMU, fluffed in a very similar way. And y'know what? None of the people I was with even noticed, which astonished me at the time

Interesting too, in the press review kindly posted by bye bye johnny above, the journalist makes no mention of it, that I find surprising too.

The rest of Jo Public, Casual Fan, call them what you like, are too busy having a great time.

Hmmm ..........

the point is not denying the mess keith made of that intro, which is short of embarassing, but that here in a minute with had a medical diagnosis of a status of psychophisical impairment... it really gets me..

no wonder regular people is too busy having a great time, listen to SFTD or JJF or PIB and the rest of SMU as well smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 22:56 by maumau.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 10, 2018 23:20

Meant to say, Coventry just shared it for me musically and first home concert in 40 years.

Edinburgh far away the best atmosphere.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 11, 2018 00:18

Really love reading about how well this gig went down for (almost) everybody - I do know what a thrill it is to really ‘hear’ them struttin’ their stuff...

To,me, they didn’t really ‘gel’, yesterday. Not that they didn’t try, or didn’t put enough effort to it; it just sounded a bit tired and sloppy (especially during the first half)... no real chemistry (as I witnessed in Paris last year, Arnhem & Amsterdam too.) But ah, well: you can’t always...
(Mind you: I didn’t have really good seats, soundwise. So that might have had something to do with this.)

Loved hearing Rainbow; loved their version of Paint it Black. And their Ramblers these days are sparkling, shining, dareing, young, vivid, exploratory, fascinating. Highlight!

Next one: Cardiff. Finishing off, si Dieu le veut, in Marseille. Looking forward to these!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 11, 2018 00:25

maumau
ycagwywpmd
emotionalbarbecue

Anyway...

Hmmm ..........

the point is not denying the mess keith made of that intro, which is short of embarassing, but that here in a minute with had a medical diagnosis of a status of psychophisical impairment... it really gets me..

no wonder regular people is too busy having a great time, listen to SFTD or JJF or PIB and the rest of SMU as well smoking smiley

Why focus on a few minuttes bum notes than 2 hours of a fantastic show!!! We go to a concert for a good atmosphere and having a great time. If it was perfection without errors it could have been playback.... how fantastic would that have been! No concert ia without an error here and there. That has been Stones and always will be.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 11, 2018 00:52

Here's another 108 amazing photos taken by Michael Schofield: [michaelschofield.photoshelter.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 11, 2018 01:39

corriecas
tioms
@ Beast,You say: "" right. I wondered why he ripped off his T-shirt and threw it into the pit B crowd"".
He also did it in Arnhem (2017) during the song 'Street Fighting Man' He did it on Keith's side. It was a black shirt with on the front side in yellow letters 'STONES'

Mick does this ehrn he is having a great time.and a @#$%& great nite it was.
Jeroen

Yes, indeed. My comment was intended as a sarcastic response to the person who wrote that Mick seemed to hate pit B confused smiley

It was during JJF and gave rise to a scrum in pit B. A young Polish guy won the fight for it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:04

Cristiano Radtke
Here's another 108 amazing photos taken by Michael Schofield: [michaelschofield.photoshelter.com]

There are some really nice shots .............thanks for posting Christiano

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 11, 2018 02:17

An indication of the June night-time temperature in Edinburgh - you could see
Mick’s breath whenever he sang on the catwalk and Sasha’s too.

Date: June 11, 2018 02:52

Cristiano Radtke
Edinburgh hotel departure (short video)

"Thank you Edinburgh for welcoming us in to your beautiful country"

[www.instagram.com]

Scotland rules! What a nice gesture and the audience at the show must have been great too from the reports we got. That´s the way it has to be.

Looking forward to Berlin and Stuttgart hoping the crowds will be enthusiastic like that. But to be honest I am a little afraid of the local security guys at the show who are sometimes over accurate, especially in the seated fos section ruining the vibes because they like to force you to stand exactely in your place without moving one little step where you rather like to dance and cheer the band....PLEASE RS Security Staff have an eye on those local securities...we pay a lot, but those guys sometimes ruin the whole atmosphere...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 03:24 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 11, 2018 05:17

TE
Rainbow

Only me or does Mick look like "why do we play this"
Just got home, wasn't there.
Found the video. Looks like he hates the B pit.

Probably just me. Will read all tomorrow...

TE
Oslo

I watched the video and I didn't get that impression at all.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 11, 2018 05:38

This thread, and every concert thread here, is proof that what people see and hear is more a reflection of themselves than what's coming from the stage.

It's like that story of witnessing an accident -- ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different eye witness accounts.

A case in point, those two different impressions of She's A Rainbow just above.

Sounds fine to me.

Why does someone think Mick didn't want to play it?

Notice how at 1:53 when Mick hears cheering from the crowd, he comes alive and acknowledges them with some unrehearsed theatrical movements.

That's what they live for -- that people appreciate what they do.

Date: June 11, 2018 06:24

Looks like Mick was quite proud of it to me, and while it wasn't as "electric" or "edgy" as the original version, seems they played it fine in almost a subtler folk style version.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home