Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Anthony Bourdain, RIP
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: June 9, 2018 20:10

Yes, this is a shocker especially coming on the heels of Kate Spade's death. Very sad.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 9, 2018 20:24

sad smiley

...wish it wasn't so.

RIP, Tony.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 9, 2018 22:08

RIP Anthony.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 01:04 by keithsman.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 9, 2018 22:12

Hmm, yes, very strange, but kind of touching. Kilmer has always been an odd one.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 9, 2018 22:51

Leonioid
There has NEVER been a RIP thread on IORR where at least person did not feel obligated to post something rude about the deceased. It is the way things are here. Seems the motto here is... if you have nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut feel free to blurt out all the negative nasty thing that come to mind, no brain to mouth fingers filter required to post here... no matter if it is a live show thread or RIP thread.

RIP AB

The Val Kilmer piece above is not exactly a ringing endorsement. While some spew vitriol for the sake of it, some people have valid reasons for saying whats on their mind. You shouldn't be so judgmental.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: June 9, 2018 22:57

You shouldn't be so judgmental.

...says one of the most judgemental posters on this site confused smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 9, 2018 23:03

Leonioid
You shouldn't be so judgmental.

...says one of the most judgemental posters on this site confused smiley

Well, most topics are debatable and open to opinion and disagreement. RIP's are more of a statement of expression on ones feelings for the person, good or bad.

Date: June 10, 2018 00:36

Leonioid
There has NEVER been a RIP thread on IORR where at least person did not feel obligated to post something rude about the deceased. It is the way things are here. Seems the motto here is... if you have nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut feel free to blurt out all the negative nasty thing that come to mind, no brain to mouth fingers filter required to post here... no matter if it is a live show thread or RIP thread.

RIP AB

exactly

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 10, 2018 01:13

Please post with respect and dignity. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 10, 2018 01:19

For me Anthony Bourdain TV show was very entertaining and original the first few years when it was cook's tour and his show after that. I read his book Kitchen Confidential which very good and a bit of an expose of the naughty things going on behind the scene, in the kitchens of high end restaurants in NY. He spawned many imitators and the best ones are on you tube with half million to two million hits for videos/ Maybe he was depressed when he saw these 30 something guys on YT doing it better than him today. One is Mark Wiens and another is strictly dumpling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 01:20 by triceratops.

Date: June 10, 2018 17:09

triceratops
For me Anthony Bourdain TV show was very entertaining and original the first few years when it was cook's tour and his show after that. I read his book Kitchen Confidential which very good and a bit of an expose of the naughty things going on behind the scene, in the kitchens of high end restaurants in NY. He spawned many imitators and the best ones are on you tube with half million to two million hits for videos/ Maybe he was depressed when he saw these 30 something guys on YT doing it better than him today. One is Mark Wiens and another is strictly dumpling.
Reducing his depression to being upset about his professional competition (completely unfounded speculation, btw) is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 10, 2018 17:18

Very sad that someone can be that depressed. I wonder if traveling all the time had something to do with that. I know he himself said being away from his family all the time took a big toll. That being said I can't fathom how anyone cares about listing to someone talk about food. Are you kidding me? People who spend their time talking about food irritate the hell out of me. I put an end to that really fast.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 17:39 by stanlove.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 10, 2018 17:20

keefriff99
BamaStone
Can't wrap my mind around these latest( Bourdain, Spade) millionaire suicides, I know we all have our issues, but if they came and lived one day in my life, trying to squeeze pennies, daily, they would run kicking screaming back to their zillionaire lives.....
This is not the time nor the place for your little self-pitying rant.

It said right in the announcement of Bourdain's death that depression and mental illness don't discriminate, and they don't care how rich or successful a person is.

But given the political opinions you've spewed on this site, I wouldn't expect you get that...ignorance and a chronic dearth of empathy are ever-increasing characteristics of your ilk.

I have not followed what he said but my guess is he is a right winger and you are a left winger so you claim to be a better person than he is. Am I correct? Did you call him a racist yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 17:44 by stanlove.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 10, 2018 17:20

Depression is a mental condition. It has nothing to do with how much fame and money you have.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: June 10, 2018 20:25

Rockman!

Thanks for the IP/AB conversation. I wish it was longer... A good interview is a conversation. For some reason AB was great at having a loose, but centered conversation in a very simple way. An every-day guy you don't meet every day.

I saw him in Seth Meyers' show a few months ago. And I remember thinking that he didn't look too well...

We lost Keith Emerson, a wonderful person, not long ago. Also depression ate up his soul...

Sad, sad, sad.

Frankie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 20:42 by frenki09.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 10, 2018 20:36

What I've always thought was somewhat odd was the fact that he had openly mentioned many times that he struggled with hard drugs in the past, but on nearly every show he would have a drink of some sort- sometimes just one, and other times he would get plastered. They aired one of his shows last night where he was taking shots of Jägermeister followed by pint after pint of beer with his chef buddy. I know there's a difference between shooting up heroin and drinking a beer and/or getting drunk, but something didn't seem right about it.

Date: June 10, 2018 21:15

Hairball
What I've always thought was somewhat odd was the fact that he had openly mentioned many times that he struggled with hard drugs in the past, but on nearly every show he would have a drink of some sort- sometimes just one, and other times he would get plastered. They aired one of his shows last night where he was taking shots of Jägermeister followed by pint after pint of beer with his chef buddy. I know there's a difference between shooting up heroin and drinking a beer and/or getting drunk, but something didn't seem right about it.
I don't know anything about Bourdain's recovery history, but it seems like he replaced hard drugs with alcohol, largely the same way Keith did.

I always thought his drinking was more played up for the cameras. He was actually in remarkable shape in recent years. He'd taken up Brazilian jiu-jitsu and lost quite a bit of weight. Check out these abs...not bad for a 60 year old...

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: June 10, 2018 23:39

I can't help wondering if this might have been an accident. You know. winking smiley

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 11, 2018 05:22

Anthony and Iggy

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 11, 2018 16:40

First and foremost, such a tragedy. Gone far too soon. My condolences.

(Second: The picture with Iggy is telling I think. Chefs are in a way the rock stars of our time. Since a decade or two. AB is not that well-known in Sweden. We have our own crop of 10-20 celebrity chefs (or cooks). Some of them on the downslope of their careers starting to appear in commercials (it's a sign). The phenomena has to do with wellfare I guess. The middle classes are doing well and have lots of money to spend on food, fancy restaurants, wines, travel and clothes.)

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 11, 2018 16:52

If you have never read any of AB's writing do yourself a favour and get a copy of Kitchen Confidential

[creedbooks.co.uk]

The best book about the restaurant business ever written. AB even looks like he is in a band on the front cover, Les Paul Juniour replaced by a very sharp knife.

Definitely the foodie Keith Richards

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 11, 2018 17:28

stanlove
Very sad that someone can be that depressed. I wonder if traveling all the time had something to do with that. I know he himself said being away from his family all the time took a big toll. That being said I can't fathom how anyone cares about listing to someone talk about food. Are you kidding me? People who spend their time talking about food irritate the hell out of me. I put an end to that really fast.

This made me chuckle a little. I also never watch food/cooking shows.
Why? All they do is make me hungry for what they’re making.
I did watch Anthony Bourdain shows for the last 10 years.
For the travel.
It is the pain part that’s painful.
RIP Anthony :-(

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 11, 2018 19:01

R.I.P.

OT: To SomeToronto Girl/Keffriff99
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 11, 2018 19:39

I'm sorry to have hurt someone's feelings, but yes I know about depression also, I'm living just as much as anyone else in the world with it in my own way, I've had a ton of loos in my life, and to you Keffriff99, you must have me mixed up with someone else, don't believe I've said anything on here to be considered racist, I'm not, you could be the ignorant one just connecting that moniker to my name, its easy isn't just because I'm from Alabama, right?

Re: OT: To SomeToronto Girl/Keffriff99
Date: June 11, 2018 19:48

I never accused you of racism. That wouldn't have even been germane to the conversation about Bourdain.

Fame and wealth have no bearing on depression. I used to think same thing: "How could people with millions of dollars and no financial cares be depressed?" That simply isn't the way depression works.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home