Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do Mick and Keith watch Stones concert footage?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 8, 2018 04:27

Have they discussed this in interviews? I know some TV talk-show hosts do this so they can do "better" next time. Do Mick and Keith? (Do they even have the time?)

Drew

Re: Do Mick and Keith watch Stones concert footage?
Date: June 8, 2018 08:43

At least Keith used to listen to the audio recordings..

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 8, 2018 12:44

The Stones magic is that they sound not always perfect and clean !

Only Jagger tries to improve himself,

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 8, 2018 18:12

steffiestones

Yes, which is exactly what makes me wonder if he watches footage of their shows. smiling smiley

Drew

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 8, 2018 18:21

Usually the machinery starts working after 8-10 gigs or so. But with the short tours nowadays the tour stops when they have got the hang of it.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 8, 2018 19:59

drewmaster
steffiestones

Yes, which is exactly what makes me wonder if he watches footage of their shows. smiling smiley

Drew

Yes i agree, and i also think Mick listens to criticism on iorr or someone close to him passes it on to him in a subtle way because its as if he responds.
I know he will always keep the Warhorses but its unbelievable how Mick has improved bearing in mind some of us including myself was saying Mick holds back vocally and its not value for money etc.
Well he belts them out now throwing caution to the wind.
I criticized Mick saying all his movements were rehearsed to the finest detail but now he just goes for it, he changes it around, i love watching Mick now and he gives 100% every night even when he has a cold or a virus.

As for Keith i doubt very much that he watches footage, plus he says he hates the way he looks.
Can't imagine him looking in on iorr either.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 8, 2018 19:59

I'm pretty sure that Jagger studies the audicene reactions to every move he makes/has made

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: June 9, 2018 04:26

slewan
I'm pretty sure that Jagger studies the audicene reactions to every move he makes/has made
Yes. And that's exactly why they don't play anything new, rare, unusual, different, or recorded in last three decades. Audience reaction is KING. Its all down to marketing and ticket selling strategy...which it always was but now...geez....couldn't even keep 2 and a half minute PLAY WITH FIRE in the set last year...why not?..show ran too long!?...nope . Audience had blank stares...Jagger said no way....yeesh..

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: June 9, 2018 11:25

drewmaster
steffiestones

Drew

I do not know, whether they watch footage of their shows, but I doubt that Jagger is the only one trying to improve. They are professionals and I am pretty sure they have band meetings where they discuss what went wrong and would should be improved. This way the machine gets well oiled after a couple of gigs. They all know their faults, and strive to do better next show. If it works or not, is something else. Everyone of them screws up a detail in each show. That's the Stones for ya winking smiley

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: June 9, 2018 18:47

diverseharmonics
slewan
Yes. And that's exactly why they don't play anything new, rare, unusual, different, or recorded in last three decades. Audience reaction is KING. Its all down to marketing and ticket selling strategy...which it always was but now...geez....couldn't even keep 2 and a half minute PLAY WITH FIRE in the set last year...why not?..show ran too long!?...nope . Audience had blank stares...Jagger said no way....yeesh..

Yeah I agree. In the Google Play interviews for the dvd of Rounhay Park '82, Mick basically says this when talking about the set list for that show. He couldn't believe they played such 'obscure' songs like Let Me Go and Twenty Flight Rock and said how when you play outdoor shows you usually play it very safe otherwise you get blank faces and people get lost.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 9, 2018 18:56

slewan

I remember reading an interview w/Mick around the halfway point of the No Security tour where he said he could see the blank expressions on the faces of the audience when they would do lesser-known songs (I remember how the tour began with songs like Memory Motel, Undercover, and Sweet Virginia being prominent in the setlist) and it made him realize that most of the audience just wanted to hear the hits.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 9, 2018 19:00

theimposter
slewan

I remember reading an interview w/Mick around the halfway point of the No Security tour where he said he could see the blank expressions on the faces of the audience when they would do lesser-known songs (I remember how the tour began with songs like Memory Motel, Undercover, and Sweet Virginia being prominent in the setlist) and it made him realize that most of the audience just wanted to hear the hits.

nobody is forced to give their audience what they want - ask Bob Dylan…

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 9, 2018 22:28

slewan
theimposter
slewan

nobody is forced to give their audience what they want - ask Bob Dylan…

It's a weird entertainer who isn't interested in giving pleasure to his audience, though. I totally understand why Mick thinks it's important to play setlists dominated by numbers the majority will recognise and want to hear. And I'm prepared to believe that while giving consumer satisfaction is undoubtedly linked to making money ( a not unreasonable ambition ) he also wants to give his audience a good night out.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 9, 2018 23:23

Maybe, Lady Jane. But by doing that he reduces The Rolling Stones to a sixties revival act. With no relevance to the contemporary scene. An oldies act.
Something you can bring your grandad to. Like the British Museum.

My theory? Most of the audience comes to see The Rolling Stones. While they're still alive. If they play something - that's a bonus.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 10, 2018 01:01

drewmaster

No, they are bored by the setlists.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 10, 2018 01:23

Isn't Chuck Levelle the co-musical director? I can see him reviewing concerts and telling Mick what can be improved.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 11, 2018 04:03

DandelionPowderman

Ronnie too: [iorr.org]

Date: June 11, 2018 08:30

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

Ronnie too: [iorr.org]

Yeah, I remember that one smiling smiley

But I read that Keith used to listen to every show on after parties after the show. Could have been as late as in the 2000s.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: June 11, 2018 10:42

LeonidP
drewmaster

No, they are bored by the setlists.

Do you know what's even more boring? People who repeat always the same!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 11, 2018 10:50

…. I'll never say always the same again ….. promise

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 11, 2018 11:49

Just a thought about ‘blank faces’
or
‘Shattered’ being played last week and comments:
Audience was quiet, or ‘blank’
We are listening!
I know when I heard it,
it was a pleasure to hear Mick singing the words,
we are listening/ taking it in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home