Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live With Me - 1969 YaYas vs. 1971 UK Tour
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 5, 2018 14:04

For decades, I believed that Live With me off YaYas was among the Stones' top 2 released live moments, Let It Rock being the other. While LWM was good on 1970 Euro and the 71 Roundhouse and Coventry boots, the sound on both boots was challenging at best.....

The release of the expanded Sticky Fingers changed the game to me such that we now could hear, in all its glory, not just 1, but 2 different LWMs from back to back nights where the band was much better than many claimed. Finally, we could hear what has become my hands-down favorite Flash and LWM from Leeds and the different but equally amazing LWM from the Roundhouse gig.

This led me into q quandary - which LWM is my favorite - 1969 YaYas with its incredibly "THICK" guitar sound from the technology of the times or the slightly-more-crystalline 1971 UK LWM with its piano, sax, and yet THUNDEROUS guitars and bass?

How about y'all - what do y'all think?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: Live With Me - 1969 YaYas vs. 1971 UK Tour
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 5, 2018 14:15

Stonesstein - the correct lyrics in Rocks Off are "plug in, flush out and fight and fu ck and feed".

'Find the fu cking feed' or another common mistake 'fire the fu cking feed' just don't make sense.

Unfortunately most lyric sites give the wrong words.

The song is about a junkie's fix - 'plugging' or injecting the drug, 'flushing out' blood afterwards and then completing the rest of his survival duties.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 8, 2018 17:32

Why does there have to be the best? They're different. I'm glad you have more & better sounding Rolling Stones music to love.

I know a big Stones fan who never really like Live With Me until the 1995 live version was released.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 8, 2018 17:34

stonesstein
For decades, I believed that Live With me off YaYas was among the Stones' top 2 released live moments, Let It Rock being the other. While LWM was good on 1970 Euro and the 71 Roundhouse and Coventry boots, the sound on both boots was challenging at best.....

The release of the expanded Sticky Fingers changed the game to me such that we now could hear, in all its glory, not just 1, but 2 different LWMs from back to back nights where the band was much better than many claimed. Finally, we could hear what has become my hands-down favorite Flash and LWM from Leeds and the different but equally amazing LWM from the Roundhouse gig.

This led me into q quandary - which LWM is my favorite - 1969 YaYas with its incredibly "THICK" guitar sound from the technology of the times or the slightly-more-crystalline 1971 UK LWM with its piano, sax, and yet THUNDEROUS guitars and bass?

Don't forget the Marquee-version while you're at it. They even opened with it. And the stop/start towards the ending is really cool thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-08 17:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 8, 2018 17:43

I like the version on Light The Fuse, but the versions on Ya Yas and 1971 trump that one.

Date: June 8, 2018 18:53

The Stripped single-version is great, too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 9, 2018 10:07

stonesstein

I think the music on the "Roudhouse sample" is far superior to anything on GYYO. The band sound more mature more powerful. As Keef said in 69 they were "going back to school". In 71 they were a live juggernaut.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 9, 2018 21:44

stonesstein

That is a song I always skip any live recording of. They don't play it well live.

Date: June 9, 2018 21:49

Essen 1970 is one of my favourite versions. Bobby Keys was unstoppable there.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 10, 2018 17:43

I like the Yayas version better. The intro bassline becomes an opening riff. The 71 drums and piano intro just doesn't do it for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home