Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17
Re: Manchester UK 5-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 7, 2018 02:57

Cristiano Radtke
For those who want to hear Miss You, it starts on 1:00:35 on this video:

Stones Manchester

THANKS!
Listen, I’m not to proud to say live ‘Miss You’ seduces me with beautiful colored lights of pretty women's faces (lightening strikes added) blue/purple
and dancing funky grooving bass and drums, choppy guitars, yep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 02:57 by 35love.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 7, 2018 04:04

Wow, they sound surprisingly great here. They seem to have actually upped the tempo on the warhorses, and Miss You is more funky and less boring than it has been on recent tours.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 7, 2018 10:07

bustabutton

My single Lucky Dip got me into Pit B as well. Met some great fans.
I'll sort through my vids and post soon...

I hope you got IORR - the only song which is missing a full version online

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 7, 2018 10:35

bustabutton
I've seen the Stones 16-18 times (can't remember exactly) since the Steel Wheels tour and I've never seen them as musically good as they were at Manchester last night. And I am a professional musician. I couldn't believe my ears, I was laughing out loud from happiness. I was moved. The playing was tight and expressive at the same time. And they seemed to be having so much fun. God Bless and long live The Rolling Stones!
My single Lucky Dip got me into Pit B as well. Met some great fans.
I'll sort through my vids and post soon...

A bit unreal how several of us got Pit B with our single Lucky Dips.
Couldn’t have been many singles sold as the glitch was only live for a short time.. Almost like they decided anyone quick enough to catch it was generously rewarded! (Thanks to whomever it was on here that pointed it out during the regular sale..)
Believe we were next to each other in the pit.. great and enthusiastic crowd where we were. First concert for me in England and one of the most enjoyable and memorable -ever (course I say that and mean it after a lot of shows, but this one really was spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 7, 2018 12:57

powerage78
That means Keith could have been off ? Well...
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?
I have never read "Keith is-was off" here.

Plenty of Keith is-was off here, I believe I have never read a concert thread in the past ten years without someone saying something in the lines of "he cant play anymore"

Yes of course most of these comments were coming from people watching clips published during the gigs while people coming from the gig usually have always been enthusiastic and yes, sometimes, denying bad playing by Keith.

Would you blame them for that? Would you consider ten years general enthusiasm some counter sign of the evident deterioration of Keith's (and the band) playing? Is this enthusiasm of fan and first goers some kind of world conspiracy to make them better than they really are? Is it possible that people listen in the here and now of the moment of the gig and not in the there and then of the past golden age?

And the opposite could be said as well anyway: Have you ever read here good reviews of Keith playing by those who post only in occasion of bum notes or scarfed intros?

I really enjoy the band playing "by today standards". That means that I am enthusiastic by performances like MR in Coventry or Gimme Shelter (exspecially Keith's playing in that) but that does not blind me at all when I hear weak versions of Shattered like that in Manchester or stop me in criticizing Keith's bad work on Sympathy for a long time (last year and before, since Shine a light at least..and before) And I am not at all the only one here I think.

Paris three last year was, compared to this tour, apparently much weaker. They sound tighter now and I dont know why. It was kind of end of school loose trainwrecking jams then, but still I had so much fun. No I was not there in the pit counting scarved notes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 13:06 by maumau.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 7, 2018 13:19

Thank you Cristiano for posting thst video and a big shout out to young duo who made it!

Was nice to see from a 'normal fan' perspective! eye rolling smiley, loved the Richard Ashcroft section, and was cool to see the nosebleed department having a blast. All in all a lovely insightful video.

Shame they kinda skipped Midnight Rambler (hope they were busy dancing and not saving battery..lol).. heard two thirds of it on another clip and it sounded awesome.

Anyway glad they had a good time and for some reason I fancy a McDonalds now.thumbs up

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 7, 2018 13:39

Ronnie seems extremely physically fit.

Date: June 7, 2018 15:07

maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

Plenty of Keith is-was off here, I believe I have never read a concert thread in the past ten years without someone saying something in the lines of "he cant play anymore"

Yes of course most of these comments were coming from people watching clips published during the gigs while people coming from the gig usually have always been enthusiastic and yes, sometimes, denying bad playing by Keith.

Would you blame them for that? Would you consider ten years general enthusiasm some counter sign of the evident deterioration of Keith's (and the band) playing? Is this enthusiasm of fan and first goers some kind of world conspiracy to make them better than they really are? Is it possible that people listen in the here and now of the moment of the gig and not in the there and then of the past golden age?

And the opposite could be said as well anyway: Have you ever read here good reviews of Keith playing by those who post only in occasion of bum notes or scarfed intros?

I really enjoy the band playing "by today standards". That means that I am enthusiastic by performances like MR in Coventry or Gimme Shelter (exspecially Keith's playing in that) but that does not blind me at all when I hear weak versions of Shattered like that in Manchester or stop me in criticizing Keith's bad work on Sympathy for a long time (last year and before, since Shine a light at least..and before) And I am not at all the only one here I think.

Paris three last year was, compared to this tour, apparently much weaker. They sound tighter now and I dont know why. It was kind of end of school loose trainwrecking jams then, but still I had so much fun. No I was not there in the pit counting scarved notes.

What made it weak? I've seen it three times now. The tempo (which was similar to that of the original version)?

I couldn't hear any bum notes or wrong verses. IMO, the solo was good and Keith was damping that guitar like it was 1978 again...

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 7, 2018 15:13

DandelionPowderman
maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

What made it weak? I've seen it three times now. The tempo (which was similar to that of the original version)?

I couldn't hear any bum notes or wrong verses. IMO, the solo was good and Keith was damping that guitar like it was 1978 again...

Also, why was Paris 3 "much weaker"? I was in Paris 3 and in London 1 and 2 and Manchester, and I cannot see much difference in the band's playing. If anything, Paris 3 had an incredible atmosphere, maybe because it was not open air, and I remember it as an incredibly good gig.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: June 7, 2018 15:31

Like you, Mr DDDD I said 'best ever' after London 1, think maybe I say that after every show too, either they just get better or I'm just desperate for another Stones-fix (been to 8 shows since 1965, 7 in England, + Desert Trip 2).

Interesting comments from people I was with at London 1:

Me: 'best ever, even though Satisfaction was a train wreck'
38 year old (3rd concert): 'no way! Desert Trip was way better, 10/10, making this 6/10. But if I'd never been to Desert Trip, this would be 9/10'
(There's logic there somewhere!) 'these tiny little screens, and I've held better sparklers than those fireworks!'

I guess we all want different things from our RS concert, but interesting that for some it's the 'whole experience', right down to the fireworks, that matter.

Interested too to notice the age range, never seen so many youngsters there, (not since 1965 anyway!)

The setlist is definitely aimed at the casual fan, understandably so imo.

Sadly I accept London 1 could have been my Last Time, but what memories!

Date: June 7, 2018 15:42

DandelionPowderman
maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

hey hey it's just my opinion/taste smoking smiley and I think the tempo is what I dont like though it sure is similar to the recorded one. Sometimes that works fine, not in this case FOR ME.

besides I needed a fresh example to my argument cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 15:44 by maumau.

Date: June 7, 2018 15:49

maumau
DandelionPowderman
maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

hey hey it's just my opinion/taste smoking smiley and I think the tempo is what I dont like though it sure is similar to the recorded one. Sometimes that works fine, not in this case FOR ME.

He he, don't worry, mate. I just wondered what you didn't like about it smileys with beer

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 7, 2018 15:54

DandelionPowderman
maumau
DandelionPowderman
maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

He he, don't worry, mate. I just wondered what you didn't like about it smileys with beer

I really like it when they do it in the original tempo. That's why I love this version. The version from New Jersey 94 is good too.

Date: June 7, 2018 16:00

MartinB
DandelionPowderman
maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

Also, why was Paris 3 "much weaker"? I was in Paris 3 and in London 1 and 2 and Manchester, and I cannot see much difference in the band's playing. If anything, Paris 3 had an incredible atmosphere, maybe because it was not open air, and I remember it as an incredibly good gig.

Again it was just my take. Maybe I have exaggerated the impression of sloppiness for the purpose of my argument. I remember I did not like particularly She's so cold and also She's a rainbow did not catch me as much. Speaking of Keith I remember him not playing much of the final solo of Satisfaction (maybe for tech problems?) So when I hear how Keith is focused and sharp playing these days I cannot deny a difference, but I do agree that in the end there's not that much difference.

And I do agree on the atmosphere. Great interaction among the band and the band and the audience. As I said I had a lot of fun (also I was on second line in the pit Keith's side smoking smiley )

Date: June 7, 2018 16:09

DandelionPowderman

smileys with beer

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 7, 2018 16:16

theimposter
Wow, they sound surprisingly great here. They seem to have actually upped the tempo on the warhorses, and Miss You is more funky and less boring than it has been on recent tours.

Mick’s little rap is a snippet of Joey Purp/Chance the Rapper track “Girls” that he was dancing to in warmup video he posted from Dublin.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 7, 2018 16:22

I think that many fans when they listen to Shattered live expect a quick version like in 1981, but if we go to listen to the studio version it's similar to the Manchester version. Personally I prefer these versions to those of 81! I'm happy that Miss You has higher guitars in the mixer, it's nice to listen to Ronnie's riff!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 7, 2018 16:31

ycagwywpmd
Like you, Mr DDDD I said 'best ever' after London 1, think maybe I say that after every show too, either they just get better or I'm just desperate for another Stones-fix (been to 8 shows since 1965, 7 in England, + Desert Trip 2).

Interesting comments from people I was with at London 1:

Me: 'best ever, even though Satisfaction was a train wreck'
38 year old (3rd concert): 'no way! Desert Trip was way better, 10/10, making this 6/10. But if I'd never been to Desert Trip, this would be 9/10'
(There's logic there somewhere!) 'these tiny little screens, and I've held better sparklers than those fireworks!'

I guess we all want different things from our RS concert, but interesting that for some it's the 'whole experience', right down to the fireworks, that matter!

Couldn't agree more... A lot goes into it.
And like you...Desert Trip 2 was my last "best ever" show before Manchester..cool smiley May hold up over time .. But hoping for three more contenders after my last shows of this tour!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 7, 2018 18:36

noughties

He does, doesn’t he? drinking smiley.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2018 18:53

Shattered seems OK to me, and Ronnie's solo seemed pretty good vs. some versions of the past as it was closer to the studio version, but it was Mick's singing that seemed a bit off to me. Definitely not the greatest sound quality of the video I watched, but it sounded monotone/rappish vs. singing. Again, bad sound quality on video and/or laptop speakers, so maybe he sounded fine, and for that matter maybe Ronnies solo wasn't as good as what I heard. Will listen again later.

That all said, prefer the rambunctious fast versions from 1981 vs. the plodding versions of the latter era.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:00

35love
Cristiano Radtke

Stones Manchester

THANKS!
Listen, I’m not to proud to say live ‘Miss You’ seduces me with beautiful colored lights of pretty women's faces (lightening strikes added) blue/purple

the opening act, Richard Ashcroft..? what song is he doing, at 21.18?

cant think what it is, but I like it.. thanks in advance ( and great vlog whoever did that!)

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:05

35love
noughties

Must life weights. He has great arms. Just sayin. I am a Mick girl and won't be unfaithful.

Date: June 7, 2018 20:07

steffialicia
35love
noughties

Must life weights. He has great arms. Just sayin. I am a Mick girl and won't be unfaithful.
Oops...

Undertheradar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 20:10 by undertheradar.

Date: June 7, 2018 20:09

duke richardson
35love
Cristiano Radtke

Stones Manchester

THANKS!

cant think what it is, but I like it.. thanks in advance ( and great vlog whoever did that!)

Bittersweet Symphony

Undertheradar

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:26

I made a video about the show. Great to be back on the tour doing this smiling smiley
video: [www.youtube.com]

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 7, 2018 20:51

undertheradar
duke richardson
35love
Cristiano Radtke

Stones Manchester

THANKS!

Bittersweet Symphony

Thank you
Quite a bit of history on that song. Very interesting.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 7, 2018 21:39

I understand your opinion
One thing is sure.
On Happy for example, such a great song.
In 1972, 1976 or 1978, he is playing guitar all the time while he's singing. Non stop.
In 1989 (at the Max), 1990 (Tokyo Dome), half even third of the time. Hands totally detached from his guitar. It hurts a lot the intensity of the song.

maumau
powerage78
What Tour ?
What show ?
In what IORR review ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 21:40 by powerage78.

Date: June 7, 2018 22:51

powerage78
One thing is sure.
On Happy for example, such a great song.
In 1972, 1976 or 1978, he is playing guitar all the time while he's singing. Non stop.
In 1989 (at the Max), 1990 (Tokyo Dome), half even third of the time. Hands totally detached from his guitar. It hurts a lot the intensity of the song.

I dont agree with the consequence of you reasoning
I accept time passing and what it takes

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 7, 2018 23:07

powerage78, it's hard to accept our idols or heroes getting old but it happens, like most 75 year old gutarists , the best most intense playing is behind them ( look at Clapton 2 years younger ) i don't think Keith is capable of giving more in a two hour show than what he is already giving. Remember he only plays twice a week tops when on tour. It's just not enough for him to get as fluid as we would wish for, we see at the end of these 14 or 15 date tours that Keith just gets going when it all comes to an abrupt end.

I actually think its taken a hell of a lot of effort for Keith to get to this level, he is holding his own and doing what is expected of him.
You would like him to play harder and faster all of the time, i would like to see him move like he used to, but we just have to accept that it is what it is now. It's futile to expect more or ask for more, Mick makes mistakes, Ronnie @#$%& up solo after solo, it's just a fact of life, people get old and get past their peak, Keith is never going to solo Happy or BTMMR like he did 30 years ago, he isn't that man anymore, but he can charm you with his slow songs, he can still cajole and beguile us with his playing and singing.
He is just about to start prowling the stage again, and he can improve slightly as the shows progress, its usually at about 7 or 8 shows into the tour he start's coming forward with more enthusiasm.
It can't be easy for Keith playing sober, this is a more introverted Keith , but he is playing better and he is playing more throughout each show.

powerage78 tell me if you are still disappointed with his playing at the end of this tour, i will be interested in what you think.
It's not Keith's fault these tours end so soon , he said at the end of the last tour to Ronnie that he was just getting going when it ended, who knows maybe he will carry on with the Wino's after this tour to keep sharp, i can see a sober Keith wanting to do more as a player and as an artist.
This could be the second coming of Keith, you can never write him off, i know that much, i just have this feeling he is going to have a breakthrough with his playing, but he needs to stay sober and i got the impression he didn't look so good in Manchester, all the colour seemed to leave his face, hopefully i'm wrong about that, could just be the lighting and tiredness.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 7, 2018 23:15

During LSTNT Mick worked the microphone-stand "old school" style; I like it.
Rockanddoll,
Mops

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home