Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones' shows on consecutive nights?
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 5, 2018 04:56

Other than the 2 songs on 12.12.12 and then the 12.13.12 show, when was the last time the Stones played gigs on consecutive nights?

I am guessing Licks 2003, but does anyone know?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: Stones' shows on consecutive nights?
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 5, 2018 06:52

Ahoy/Vredenburg 2003.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 5, 2018 07:33

Iirc it was Mick having to cancel a Twickenham gig in ‘03 which put paid to consecutive gigs going forward.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 5, 2018 08:26

erikjjf
Ahoy/Vredenburg 2003.

A good combo!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2018 08:52

Rik
erikjjf
Ahoy/Vredenburg 2003.

A good combo!

Yes, funny though that I don't remember them being two consecutive nights.
I saw quite a few shows that summer, and it was like being in a whirlwind!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 5, 2018 10:57

tommycharles
Iirc it was Mick having to cancel a Twickenham gig in ‘03 which put paid to consecutive gigs going forward.

Spot on. That’s the last time they tried it and the 2nd Show was postponed on Doctors’ orders. It took place a month later.

Date: June 5, 2018 11:07

grzegorz67
tommycharles

Spot on. That’s the last time they tried it and the 2nd Show was postponed on Doctors’ orders. It took place a month later.

Also one of the two Amsterdam Arena shows was postponed (just prior to Twickenham), but don't know if they were originally scheduled on consecutive nights.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 5, 2018 11:15

stonesstein

RS Tour-dates: [en.Wikipedia.org] :

4 October 2002 - Landover
5 October 2002 - Hartford

22 October 2002 - Sunrise
23 October 2002 - Miami

29 November 2002 - Las Vegas
30 November 2002 - Las Vegas

21 January 2003 - Chicago
22 January 2003 - Chicago

4 March 2003 - Brisbane
5 March 2003 - Brisbane

15 March 2003 - Tokyo
16 March 2003 - Tokyo

20 March 2003 - Osaka
21 March 2003 - Osaka

15 August 2003 - Rotterdam
16 August 2003 - Utrecht

Date: June 5, 2018 11:27

Irix
stonesstein

RS Tour-dates: [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Rough Justice was performed more often than IORR and Miss You on the ABB-tour! smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 5, 2018 12:39

Hairball
grzegorz67
tommycharles

Also one of the two Amsterdam Arena shows was postponed (just prior to Twickenham), but don't know if they were originally scheduled on consecutive nights.

they were.

Amsterdam 19-20 August
Twickenham 23-24 August

the shows scheduled for 20 & 23 August were postponed (Amsterdam on the day of the show and Twickenham the day before it), and then at the start of September the Wembley Arena dates scheduled for 14 & 15 September were changed to 13 & 15 September.

They've never performed back to back full length shows since. The Wembley dates were the last time they scheduled shows on consecutive nights but the Rotterdam/Utrecht gigs on August 16/17 were the last time they actually did back to back performances.

My favourite story that came out of all that mess concerned the travel company who pulled up outside Wembley Arena on the afternoon of Sunday September 14th with a coachload of about 40-50 passengers, all of whom were oblivious to the fact that the show had taken place the day before. It appeared that none of them (including the organisers) used the internet much!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-05 12:45 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: June 5, 2018 13:25

They also stopped having only one night rest between two shows in 2014. 2013 had plenty of such concerts, but since october 2014 they scheduled min 2 days rest between shows.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 5, 2018 13:44

Stonesfan2146
They also stopped having only one night rest between two shows in 2014. 2013 had plenty of such concerts, but since october 2014 they scheduled min 2 days rest between shows.

Which makes touring more expensive. Off days cost as much as showdays, a friend told me.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 5, 2018 13:59

They cost fans more as well. Party time on off days !

Sc uk

Date: June 5, 2018 20:09

Gazza
Hairball
grzegorz67
tommycharles

they were.

Amsterdam 19-20 August
Twickenham 23-24 August

the shows scheduled for 20 & 23 August were postponed (Amsterdam on the day of the show and Twickenham the day before it), and then at the start of September the Wembley Arena dates scheduled for 14 & 15 September were changed to 13 & 15 September.

They've never performed back to back full length shows since. The Wembley dates were the last time they scheduled shows on consecutive nights but the Rotterdam/Utrecht gigs on August 16/17 were the last time they actually did back to back performances.

My favourite story that came out of all that mess concerned the travel company who pulled up outside Wembley Arena on the afternoon of Sunday September 14th with a coachload of about 40-50 passengers, all of whom were oblivious to the fact that the show had taken place the day before. It appeared that none of them (including the organisers) used the internet much!

Oh no haha, but I shouldn't laugh as that happened to me about ten years ago when my wife and I had cheap tickets to see the Temptations (or whatever was left of them) at Universal Ampitheater located within Universal Studios and City Walk. Walked up to the gate and the attendant said "that was last night"!!! My wife and I looked at each other, laughed it off, and enjoyed the evening at a bar instead. But I digress....

I had tickets to both of the postponed Amsterdam and Twickenham shows, but being that they were rescheduled a month later when I was back home opted for the refund. Actually it was a blessing as I saw quite a few shows within a short time frame during that summer (starting in Stockholm and ending in Glasgow) that the postponement gave me a bit of a reprieve from the overkill of live Stones shows haha. winking smiley
Thirteen shows in seven weeks...Stockholm x 3, Rotterdam x 3, Utrecht, Amsterdam, London x 3, Glasgow x 2...it was a whirlwind of good times and one of the greatest journeys I've ever been on.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 5, 2018 20:14

erikjjf
Ahoy/Vredenburg 2003.

Yeah, Rik, those were the days!!!

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 5, 2018 20:27

When was the last time they did a same day double header? The only artist I'm aware of that still frequently does in arenas or stadiums is Garth Brooks.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 5, 2018 20:46

erbissell
When was the last time they did a same day double header? The only artist I'm aware of that still frequently does in arenas or stadiums is Garth Brooks.

If memory serves it must have been Cologne '76 early June...wasn't it even Charlies birthday ?

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 5, 2018 20:53

TooTough
erikjjf
Ahoy/Vredenburg 2003.

Yeah, Rik, those were the days!!!

Indeed, they were!

Date: June 6, 2018 21:00

shortfatfanny
erbissell

If memory serves it must have been Cologne '76 early June...wasn't it even Charlies birthday ?

Yep. 2nd June '76.

Those shows were about 90 mins each.

Baton Rouge 1st June '75 - opening night of the TOTA'75 - saw them play two shows in a day which were about 2 and a quarter hours each! Probably the longest day of live music they ever did!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 6, 2018 23:04

I always thought 1999 was the last year they did consecutive nights. I remember when Licks tour kicked off in Boston Im sure they had at least one night off between performances. I also saw the first batch of shows in London 2003 and if I remember correctly the shows were spread out 2 days apart ( Twinkenham, Astoria, and then Wembly)
I could be wrong, on the upswing of 60. LOL

Date: June 6, 2018 23:26

There were several dates on the Licks tour where they did consecutive nights. Not as many as previously though. Its documented above that the last time was 2003.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 7, 2018 14:24

shortfatfanny
erbissell

Oshawa 1979 would be the very last one.

Date: June 7, 2018 14:48

Erik_Snow
shortfatfanny
erbissell

Oshawa 1979 would be the very last one.

Four gigs for Keith, Ronnie, Bobby and Mac smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1339
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home