Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: McGuinn/Hillman 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' 50th Anniversary Tour
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 28, 2018 18:14

"Uncontrollable godless heathen"? That's hilarious. Wasn't similar said about many rock'n'roll performers? Isn't that why many of us got hooked on the Stones - that they represented wild abandon and wantonness, heathenism as it were?

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 28, 2018 20:09

dmay
FYI: This show is now posted on Dime. Youtube clips make me wanna see it, but they ain't coming to the desert (Phoenix, AZ).

Could anyone get this show for me? I don't have an account on Dime...

pekingi.ferenc at gmail dot com

THANKS!!!

Date: July 28, 2018 20:11

bye bye johnny

Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, and Marty Stuart’s exclusive one-hour Sweetheart of the Rodeo radio special premieres Friday, July 13 at 8 pm ET. Tune in to hear them reflect on the landmark album, including the addition of the late Gram Parsons to the band, and the Byrds infamous performance at the Grand Ole Opry in 1968, along with tracks from the album and original versions of songs that inspired the project.

Don’t miss rebroadcasts: Saturday, July 14 at 8 am & 5 pm ET; Sunday July 15 at 1 am, 12 pm & 9 pm ET.

[blog.siriusxm.com]

Has anyone recorded this????? I would LOVE to listen to this!!!!

Pleaseeeeeeeee!

pekingi.ferenc at gmail dot com

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 28, 2018 21:26

My first time trying this. Hopefully this link to the show works for y'all. If not, let me know what I need to do to properly load the link.

[wetransfer.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 29, 2018 03:21

RollingFreak
A little confused by his rationale although I guess it doesn't matter. He seems very hellbent on saying this isn't the Byrds when we all really know it is. At least that era of the Byrds, minus Gram of course. Sure, it would be great to have Crosby with them too, but he wasn't on this album which makes up a majority of the setlist. Don't really care either way, its still cool they are doing it. But its strange how much he wants to stress its not the Byrds when I think if they did this tour as that no one would bat an eye.

Also seems like yet another band with a very weird band dynamic. That Roger and David like each other but Roger seems to not have any interest playing with him at all, Byrds or otherwise. Super strange.

It's kinda like when Jimmy Page and Robert Plant toured in the 1990s. They didn't call it Led Zeppelin, but in hindsight, those were the Led Zeppelin reunion tours. And in the same way Page and Plant refused to play "Stairway," in order to hammer home the point that it wasn't Led Zeppelin, it appears that McGuinn and Hillman have chosen to conspicuously omit their "Stairway," by not doing what is far and away their best song, "Eight Miles High."

And before anyone tries to tell me that they can't play EMH because it's too psychedelic to be part of a country music performance, consider this recording, which can be found on Chris Hillman's 2005 album, The Other Side.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-29 03:35 by tatters.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2018 07:06

tatters
RollingFreak
A little confused by his rationale although I guess it doesn't matter. He seems very hellbent on saying this isn't the Byrds when we all really know it is. At least that era of the Byrds, minus Gram of course. Sure, it would be great to have Crosby with them too, but he wasn't on this album which makes up a majority of the setlist. Don't really care either way, its still cool they are doing it. But its strange how much he wants to stress its not the Byrds when I think if they did this tour as that no one would bat an eye.

Also seems like yet another band with a very weird band dynamic. That Roger and David like each other but Roger seems to not have any interest playing with him at all, Byrds or otherwise. Super strange.

It's kinda like when Jimmy Page and Robert Plant toured in the 1990s. They didn't call it Led Zeppelin, but in hindsight, those were the Led Zeppelin reunion tours. And in the same way Page and Plant refused to play "Stairway," in order to hammer home the point that it wasn't Led Zeppelin, it appears that McGuinn and Hillman have chosen to conspicuously omit their "Stairway," by not doing what is far and away their best song, "Eight Miles High."

And before anyone tries to tell me that they can't play EMH because it's too psychedelic to be part of a country music performance, consider this recording, which can be found on Chris Hillman's 2005 album, The Other Side.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess because this specific album was basically made by 3 people, one of which is dead and the other two are touring it, I'd consider that as true and loving a reunion of that lineup as you can get. Again, not that I care that it isn't called that, I still think its great. Just seemed odd, but you make a lot of sense with the Zep comparison. I guess in my head Zeppelin I get is too big an umbrella whereas with the Byrds you are mainly just getting Byrds fans no matter what you call it. But I have no problem with the transparency.

Date: July 29, 2018 19:40

Wowwww!

You made my day! Early Christmas present! Thanks so much for posting this! I just finished downloading it! Can't wait to hear it!

Thankssssssssssssss!!!!!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 29, 2018 20:09

dmay
My first time trying this. Hopefully this link to the show works for y'all. If not, let me know what I need to do to properly load the link.

[wetransfer.com]

Many thanks! Am downloading now. I always like the Byrds-Stones connection that was going on even before Graham Parsons.>>>>> Cool Ride The Lear Jet Baby. Cool ride the Lear Jet.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 30, 2018 16:39

tatters
...And in the same way Page and Plant refused to play "Stairway," in order to hammer home the point that it wasn't Led Zeppelin, it appears that McGuinn and Hillman have chosen to conspicuously omit their "Stairway," by not doing what is far and away their best song, "Eight Miles High."

But 'Eight Miles High' is a Crosby song...
this tour isn't about David Crosby at all.
(and I'm not in agreement that 8MH is "far and away their best song")

These shows are the brainchild of Marty Stuart to celebrate an album.
An album that simultaneously turned the rock world and the country world upside-down. Anything else that they choose to play in concert is a bonus.

Frankly, if Crosby was involved then I wouldn't be going.

Date: July 30, 2018 16:45

triceratops
Dan
RollingFreak

Because it's not The Byrds. And in this day and age you cash in on a band's legacy while still forsaking the actual name.

There really is no dynamic to speak of as Roger was the only constant member. And I don't think anyone, anywhere has any interest in playing with David.

I go to Byrds concert in Central Park NY circa 1967 and no David Crosby! Only four guys He had gotten the boot.

Roger is a religious Christian
Chris Hillman goes to Greek Orthodox church due to his wife who was born into it.
**** Dave Crosby is uncontrollable godless heathen and not needed on this tour....in fact he would make it implode

Just ask Graham Nash who cannot bear to be w Dave these days

I never knew The Byrds were a christian band?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 30, 2018 16:59

Kurt

Song's credited to Clark, McGuinn and Crosby.

McGuinn refutes Gene Clark's claim that the song was all his.

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: July 30, 2018 17:56

Kurt

These shows are the brainchild of Marty Stuart...

...I stand corrected.

Roger McGuinn Explains Partial Byrds Reunion

Date: July 31, 2018 00:25

Kurt
tatters
...And in the same way Page and Plant refused to play "Stairway," in order to hammer home the point that it wasn't Led Zeppelin, it appears that McGuinn and Hillman have chosen to conspicuously omit their "Stairway," by not doing what is far and away their best song, "Eight Miles High."

An album that simultaneously turned the rock world and the country world upside-down. Anything else that they choose to play in concert is a bonus.

"Eight Miles High" is mostly a Gene Clark song. Crosby's contribution consists of a single line of the lyrics. I get that they're trying, in the opening set, to show how the Byrds were always a little bit country by playing pre-SOTR songs that prove that they were already well on their way to becoming a country band long before Gram Parsons arrived on the scene. But if they're also doing non-country hits like "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn," which they are, then I don't see why they can't also work up a stripped-down, mandolin and acoustic guitar version of "Eight Miles High" like this one here:

[www.youtube.com]

I'd much prefer to hear that as an encore over the tribute to Tom Petty that they're currently doing, which, frankly, doesn't make a whole lot of sense within the context of a country-themed show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-31 00:30 by tatters.

Date: July 31, 2018 20:03

Has anyone recorded the radio show on Sweetheart that was mentioned earlier in this thread????

I hope so...

Date: August 1, 2018 04:42

bye bye johnny
Kurt

Song's credited to Clark, McGuinn and Crosby.

McGuinn refutes Gene Clark's claim that the song was all his.

[www.theguardian.com]

An immortal photo of the Byrds in London (Rain gray town known for it's sound
In places small faces unbound) at your UK Guardian source. A must see.

Key word is "unbound" in 1966. Brian must have consulted the most with them. Wanting to know how Jim/Roger McGuinn got his sitar sound out of his 12 string. So he could do it for Paint It Black but Brian used-abused-misuses a real sitar there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-01 04:44 by triceratops.

Date: August 1, 2018 04:59

tatters
Kurt
tatters

"Eight Miles High" is mostly a Gene Clark song. Crosby's contribution consists of a single line of the lyrics. I get that they're trying, in the opening set, to show how the Byrds were always a little bit country by playing pre-SOTR songs that prove that they were already well on their way to becoming a country band long before Gram Parsons arrived on the scene. But if they're also doing non-country hits like "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn," which they are, then I don't see why they can't also work up a stripped-down, mandolin and acoustic guitar version of "Eight Miles High" like this one here:

[www.youtube.com]

I'd much prefer to hear that as an encore over the tribute to Tom Petty that they're currently doing, which, frankly, doesn't make a whole lot of sense within the context of a country-themed show.

The Tom Petty material was for the LA insider crowd. Nice gesture but will be dropped as they head to flyover America.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 1, 2018 07:12

Will it? It seemed from the interview it was staying. Personally, I'd agree it seemed specific to LA and particularly Mike who was there night 1, but its also something that would work everywhere. I could see it staying and from the Roger interview it made it sound like this IS the setlist for every show. Who knows.

Date: August 1, 2018 14:33

Apparently, they did the Tom Petty encore (without Mike Campbell) at the show in Northern California this past Sunday, so it looks like they may be keeping it when the tour resumes in September. It's not hard to see why they love TP. He was heavily influenced by the Byrds and used those influences to achieve great success, but performing several of his songs as an encore just seems .... unseemly. A great artist, no doubt, but from their point of view, still basically just a very talented and successful Byrds fan. It would be like Paul McCartney encoring with a bunch of Jeff Lynne songs. Or Robert Plant singing "Crazy on You" and "Barracuda." It violates all the known laws of show business, which clearly state that you pay tribute to your predecessors (and maybe your contemporaries, if you're so inclined), while heaping derision upon those who came after you and stole from you. If they're going to pay tribute to anyone, it should be Gene Clark.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-01 14:40 by tatters.

Date: August 1, 2018 15:05

@tatters

Agree 100%. You said it much better than I could. For me back in my boyhood the Stones and Byrds were co-equals at the top. Eric and The Animals were way up there w the Yardbirds. John Mayall w Eric Clapton too. I saw Mayall with Mick Taylor/ pre Stones obviously.

This was all in East Coast America not in England.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-01 15:11 by triceratops.

Date: August 1, 2018 16:20

Chris Hillman and Tom Petty connection...

Chris Hillman and Tom Petty's Final Recordings???

Date: August 1, 2018 16:24

Marty Stuart and Tom Petty Connection...

Date: August 1, 2018 16:30

Roger McGuinn and Tom Petty Connection...
King of the Hill from Back from Rio

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 1, 2018 17:22

"My Back Pages" should be in the set list. It may not equal the Dylan tribute concert version - as multiple musicians were involved in that piece However McGuinn kills it!!

Not sure why certain remote venues are chosen - best believe- it will be a pricey ticket.

Date: August 1, 2018 17:43

"My Back Pages" has been the opening song at all three shows thus far.

Date: August 1, 2018 19:18

Chris Fountain

Not sure why certain remote venues are chosen - best believe- it will be a pricey ticket.

Ticket prices vary depending on the market. At Town Hall, a 1500 seat theater in New York City, prices top out at $277, while at the Akron Civic Theater in Ohio, the most expensive seat is only $93.

I think they're doing their best to book as many suitable venues as possible, but, as is often the case in this business, the venues they'd like to appear at aren't always able to "make the numbers work."

Date: August 1, 2018 19:35

NYC ticket prices were $49, $79 and $99. Where's that $277 from?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 1, 2018 20:59

tatters
Apparently, they did the Tom Petty encore (without Mike Campbell) at the show in Northern California this past Sunday, so it looks like they may be keeping it when the tour resumes in September. It's not hard to see why they love TP. He was heavily influenced by the Byrds and used those influences to achieve great success, but performing several of his songs as an encore just seems .... unseemly. A great artist, no doubt, but from their point of view, still basically just a very talented and successful Byrds fan. It would be like Paul McCartney encoring with a bunch of Jeff Lynne songs. Or Robert Plant singing "Crazy on You" and "Barracuda." It violates all the known laws of show business, which clearly state that you pay tribute to your predecessors (and maybe your contemporaries, if you're so inclined), while heaping derision upon those who came after you and stole from you. If they're going to pay tribute to anyone, it should be Gene Clark.

I think you're discounting their personal relationships with Petty...McGuinn, for example, wanted to meet him after he first heard 'American Girl' and thus began a decades-long friendship with him.

McGuinn's statement after Petty's death...

“Before there were books, music recorded our history. Tom Petty was a historian. He didn’t just write songs. He wrote about the stories, people, and cultures of our times and then he put it all to music. When he wrote a song, he flew up to the great wide open, caught an idea and would come free falling back to earth. Then he did it again. I know, I had the privilege of writing with him once. His songs are movies for our imaginations and longer than 4 words. His every verse a diamond and every chorus gold. His music will always be with me and all of us.”

And Hillman's...

“I loved Tom so much. He was such a blessing in my life. Tom touched everyone with his beautiful music. I am praying for his family, bandmates and friends.”

Three songs in an encore in tribute to their friend, less than a year after his unexpected passing? "Unseemly" is the last word that comes to mind.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 1, 2018 23:01

tatters
Chris Fountain

Ticket prices vary depending on the market. At Town Hall, a 1500 seat theater in New York City, prices top out at $277, while at the Akron Civic Theater in Ohio, the most expensive seat is only $93.

I think they're doing their best to book as many suitable venues as possible, but, as is often the case in this business, the venues they'd like to appear at aren't always able to "make the numbers work."

I would love to see this show. I went to the Town Hall website and the show was virtually sold out -- the cheapest ticket left is $327, the highest $452.

Some men rob with a six gun, some with a fountain pen, some with a website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 20:13 by Wry Cooter.

Date: August 1, 2018 23:57

bye bye johnny
NYC ticket prices were $49, $79 and $99. Where's that $277 from?

There were front row seats available for $277, but the now the prices appear to have risen further. These are not even "resale" tickets, but seats that were deliberately held back, and now that they are all that's left, been designated "Official Platinum" and put on sale at exorbitant prices. Damn, I'm glad I don't live in New York anymore!

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 00:11 by tatters.

Date: August 2, 2018 01:49

Interesting. Town Hall tickets were originally sold through Ticketfly.

Official Platinum is TM's odious not resale resale arm.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home