Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: McGuinn/Hillman 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' 50th Anniversary Tour
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 2, 2018 21:36

bye bye johnny
What's the source of that info? The NY and Boston dates are wrong.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 2, 2018 22:03

Thanks. Site's got bad info, but a nice photo by Alysse Gafkjen... ; )

Date: July 3, 2018 04:08

How about a second lp that features only the Gram Parsons vocals? I've burned my own copy on cd-r using the bonus tracks from the deluxe edition. Now that's the way I love to listen to this album.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: July 3, 2018 04:09

It would be cool to catch one of the L.A. shows. I doubt that I'll make it, but I am looking forward to see the 90-year-old Burt Bacharach.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 3, 2018 21:26

bye bye johnny
What's the source of that info? The NY and Boston dates are wrong.

NYC is the 24th

Date: July 4, 2018 00:31

Yep. Posted same on the previous page. Looks like that website corrected their info too.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 18:56

yup

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 4, 2018 19:17

Can we please get this in Europe? I love, as in LOVE, that album. It’s one of the best 60s albums for me. I’m especially loving You’re Still On My Mind and Pretty Boy Floyd.
I’d travel as far as my limited means would let me to see a SOTR show.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 4, 2018 20:07

I think they'll be missing a very important ingredient: Gram Parsons.

The whole album was Gram's idea, and The Byrds were the back-up band.

It could have been any back-up band.

Nevertheless, it should be interesting.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 5, 2018 05:35

charlesbaudelaire
How about a second lp that features only the Gram Parsons vocals? I've burned my own copy on cd-r using the bonus tracks from the deluxe edition. Now that's the way I love to listen to this album.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Likewise; I made my own "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" with the original versions, with Gram Parsons' vocals, which was the way the album was supposed to be, but after Gram was safely out of the picture, the byrds went in and cut out his vocals from the majority of the tracks and replaced them with byrd vocals, and that was the way the album got released.

Date: July 13, 2018 21:47

Outlaw Country celebrates 50th anniversary of ‘Sweetheart of the Rodeo’

One of the most influential country-rock albums of all time, Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Such a milestone calls for a celebration, and Byrds co-founders, Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman have teamed up for a historic U.S. tour, backed by Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives.

These very special concert dates will feature Sweetheart of the Rodeo performed in its entirety, along with other favorites from over the years, with Stuart playing the same ’54 Telecaster that the late Clarence White played on the original album.

Additionally, McGuinn, Hillman, and Stuart are marking the anniversary with a special for SiriusXM Outlaw Country (Ch. 60), recorded in Nashville prior to their appearance on Marty Stuart’s ‘Late Night Jam’ at the Ryman Auditorium during CMA Fest.

Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, and Marty Stuart’s exclusive one-hour Sweetheart of the Rodeo radio special premieres Friday, July 13 at 8 pm ET. Tune in to hear them reflect on the landmark album, including the addition of the late Gram Parsons to the band, and the Byrds infamous performance at the Grand Ole Opry in 1968, along with tracks from the album and original versions of songs that inspired the project.

Don’t miss rebroadcasts: Saturday, July 14 at 8 am & 5 pm ET; Sunday July 15 at 1 am, 12 pm & 9 pm ET.

[blog.siriusxm.com]

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 14, 2018 16:50

bye bye johnny

Outlaw Country celebrates 50th anniversary of ‘Sweetheart of the Rodeo’

One of the most influential country-rock albums of all time, Sweetheart of the Rodeo by the Byrds is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Such a milestone calls for a celebration, and Byrds co-founders, Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman have teamed up for a historic U.S. tour, backed by Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives.

These very special concert dates will feature Sweetheart of the Rodeo performed in its entirety, along with other favorites from over the years, with Stuart playing the same ’54 Telecaster that the late Clarence White played on the original album.

Additionally, McGuinn, Hillman, and Stuart are marking the anniversary with a special for SiriusXM Outlaw Country (Ch. 60), recorded in Nashville prior to their appearance on Marty Stuart’s ‘Late Night Jam’ at the Ryman Auditorium during CMA Fest.

Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, and Marty Stuart’s exclusive one-hour Sweetheart of the Rodeo radio special premieres Friday, July 13 at 8 pm ET. Tune in to hear them reflect on the landmark album, including the addition of the late Gram Parsons to the band, and the Byrds infamous performance at the Grand Ole Opry in 1968, along with tracks from the album and original versions of songs that inspired the project.

Don’t miss rebroadcasts: Saturday, July 14 at 8 am & 5 pm ET; Sunday July 15 at 1 am, 12 pm & 9 pm ET.

[blog.siriusxm.com]
f

Dis anybody record this?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 25, 2018 13:15

Setlist from last night's tour opener in Los Angeles.

My Back Pages
Satisfied Mind
Mr Spaceman
Time Between
Old John Robertson
Wasn't Born To Follow
Sing Me Back Home
Drug Store Truck Driving Man
Mr Tambourine Man
- intermission
Country Boy Rock n Roll
Time Don’t Wait
You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere
Pretty Boy Floyd
Hickory Wind
Life in Prison
100 Years
Nothing Was Delivered
Blue Canadian Rockies
Christian Life
You’re Still On My Mind
You Don’t Miss Your Water
I Am A Pilgrim
You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere
-encores
So You Want To Be A Rock n Roll Star?
American Girl (w/Mike Campbell)
Wildflowers
Running Down A Dream
Turn Turn Turn

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-25 19:50 by tatters.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 25, 2018 17:53

Great show!

Date: July 25, 2018 19:44

Looks like a great opening night made extra special by Mike Campbell's appearance.

"American Girl" - [youtu.be]

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 25, 2018 20:43

Superb show last night. I think there are still some tickets for tonight’s show.

Date: July 25, 2018 21:28

Date: July 25, 2018 21:29

Date: July 25, 2018 21:30

Date: July 25, 2018 21:30

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 25, 2018 22:26

Thanks for posting the photos! The setlist looks great. I wonder if Crosby will
guest on any of the shows?

Date: July 25, 2018 22:37

The Byrds' Chris Hillman On The Birth Of Country Rock, Tom Petty And The Death Of The '60s

Steve Baltin
Jul 25, 2018

LOS ANGELES, CA - JULY 24: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members Chris Hillman (L) and Roger McGuinn (C), co founders of The Byrds, perform onstage during the 50th anniversary tribute to the Byrds album 'Sweetheart fo the Rodeo' at The Theatre at Ace Hotel
on July 24, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Scott Dudelson/Getty Images)

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: July 25, 2018 23:07

bye bye johnny
Looks like a great opening night made extra special by Mike Campbell's appearance.

"American Girl" - [youtu.be]

Seems like Marty was having difficulty joining in, did he miss rehearsal?

here is My back pages;

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 26, 2018 14:02

Bob Lefsetz's review of the second LA show:

Sweetheart Of The Rodeo At The Ace

It was astounding.

If you want to know what it was like in '68, if you want to steep yourself in the concert experience from way back when, go to this show.

First and foremost it was in a theatre. Hard to believe, but the acts lamented the move to arenas at first, because of the SOUND! It was muddy, still is. Sit in the back and if you don't know the words by heart, you're in trouble. And with fewer people it felt more intimate.

And everybody sat.

I don't get the standing thing. I think it's just a way for promoters to make more money. But once they got rid of the chairs, the whole encounter changed. It used to be a religious experience, sitting in your seat, letting your mind drift. Then it became about a hang, a social scene.

But tonight was a trip to church, or synagogue, and even if you're not a believer, you would have bowed down to the music emanating from the stage.

On the surface, this is 1 + 1 + 1 = 4. That's right, Roger McGuinn's been singing the same old hits for eons, if you wanted to hear them live, you already have. And although Chris Hillman has experimented musically, he's in even less demand. But if you add in wild card Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives, you end up with something you didn't anticipate, the whole enterprise is lifted to another level. OF MUSIC!

We've gotten so far from the music it's crazy. If you make hits, it's about the trappings, your stardom, curating your social media feed is part of your act, what's on stage is often canned, on hard drive, it's just a celebration of the rest of your career. But the truth is recordings are dropping in influence. It's what's done on stage that counts. And when you get it right, like the assembled multitude did tonight, it's TRANSCENDENT!

I didn't expect it to be a Byrds concert, I didn't expect it to be a celebration of what once was and still can be.

The show started with "My Back Pages."

Wait, they weren't immediately going to go into "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" and play a few hits and exit thereafter?

And there were stories before each number, they gave context, not too long, but just right. And the second song was a cover of Porter Wagoner's number "A Satisfied Mind," sung by Marty. I never heard it, never knew it, but instantly I loved it!

Marty Stuart, the guy with the big hair who never crossed over to rock. His locks are white these days, but he's younger than me. He's lived in a parallel universe, and our paths have not crossed. But tonight!

The thing about these country players is they're TIGHT! You get the idea they play every day, whether there's an audience or not, they're cohesive, and strong, the sound is AMAZING! It's so weird to hear what once was and now still is again. There was nothing on hard drive, plastic surgery was not a factor, these were old guys who were still young.

Chris Hillman had to sit in a chair at times. McGuinn never doffed his hat. But when the band fired up it was just as vital as way back when. But curiously, there was no nostalgia factor, at least not until they paid tribute to Tom Petty at the end of the show.

You know, you go to hear the oldies, to trigger your memories. Hell, Journey is not the only band with a faux singer. It's about the songs, they're now ours. But these players owned the material, it was as fresh as today, you reveled in the sound, you expected them to come back next year with a new album.

But they won't. Because no one wants to hear it, that's not how it works anymore. Used to be you had to go to hear the new stuff, otherwise you might never hear it again. But now its just old nuggets, again and again.

But "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" never gets play on stage.

But before that, in the first half, they toured their career, it was an Evening With.

And it wasn't just hits. Sure, we heard "Mr. Tambourine Man," amazing how McGuinn can still pick those notes, but there were obscurities, like "Time Between" and "Old John Robertson" and exquisite takes on "Wasn't Born To Follow" and "Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man."

As for the second half...

That's what people came to hear.

The bass player switched to pedal steel, Marty picked a mandolin when he wasn't wailing on Clarence White's guitar, and after a couple of Marty and band songs, it was...

"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere."

I didn't buy "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo," at least not in '68, but in the fall of '70, I went to visit my high school buddy Marc at the first year of Hampshire College and he picked it out on his guitar, I was immediately hooked. Funny how the hits fade and the album cuts persevere.

"Life In Prison" had meaning beyond the original.

"Blue Canadian Rockies" had visions of mountains hovering in front of your eyes.

"The Christian Life" made you a believer.

And "I Am A Pilgrim" united the audience, we're all searching for song.

And then another take on "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere," with the audience singing along, half the melody, half the harmony, and...

Even if you were not a fan of "Sweetheart," even if you didn't know the material well, you got it tonight, that's the power of music, that's the power of sound, that's the power of playing, that's the power of BEING THERE!

After twenty three numbers I wasn't sure there'd be an encore. And then they played "So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star," after McGuinn said most people think it's a Petty song...

They went into Petty. McGuinn played his cover of "American Girl," which just made me miss Tom.

But then Hillman performed his cover of "Wildflowers," the same, but different from the original, and you almost weeped, for the loss, that's when I got nostalgic, for what once was and forevermore will never be. Aren't your elders supposed to die first? Not that they shouldn't live, but in the natural order of things shouldn't Tom be paying tribute to the departed Byrds?

But then...

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'"

Whoa! What? That's right, Marty Stuart was singing RUNNIN' DOWN A DREAM! I thought back to buying "Full Moon Fever," that amazing run of songs on the first side, can those days ever come back? I'm not sure, as Tom is gone, but I'm still here and the band on stage was fully ALIVE!

The finale was "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and then they were gone.

To everything there is a season.

And we lived through it, the assembled multitude, no one under forty, most over sixty. When McGuinn wore his granny glasses on national TV, when we followed the personnel changes and stopped paying attention to sports, when there was a new exciting act on a regular basis, just like there was a new exciting app half a decade ago. We lived from one musical moment to the next, hopping along in ecstasy.

And then it ended. We loved that the young 'uns embraced Zeppelin and the Doors, but then melody went out the window and it became about melisma whereas subtlety used to have a place. And the oldsters sit around and bitch, wishing the old days would come back...

TONIGHT THEY DID!

[lefsetz.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 27, 2018 03:20

FYI: This show is now posted on Dime. Youtube clips make me wanna see it, but they ain't coming to the desert (Phoenix, AZ).

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 27, 2018 07:32

Cross your fingers - more dates to come, according to Chris Hillman's site:

[chrishillman.com]

Date: July 27, 2018 19:23

Roger McGuinn Talks ‘Sweetheart of the Rodeo’ Gigs, Rules Out Byrds Reunion

McGuinn also looks back on the creation of the 1968 country-rock landmark and recalls his friendship with Gram Parsons

From the interview with Andy Greene:

Are you going to add more dates?
Yeah, there’s still flexibility, though I feel it should end by the end of 2018 because 1968 to 2018 is a 50-year span. It don’t want it to be a permanent thing.

So there’s no chance of more dates next year?
There are people involved who would like it to continue, but I feel that’s not really the right way to go.

Full interview > [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 28, 2018 09:16

A little confused by his rationale although I guess it doesn't matter. He seems very hellbent on saying this isn't the Byrds when we all really know it is. At least that era of the Byrds, minus Gram of course. Sure, it would be great to have Crosby with them too, but he wasn't on this album which makes up a majority of the setlist. Don't really care either way, its still cool they are doing it. But its strange how much he wants to stress its not the Byrds when I think if they did this tour as that no one would bat an eye.

Also seems like yet another band with a very weird band dynamic. That Roger and David like each other but Roger seems to not have any interest playing with him at all, Byrds or otherwise. Super strange.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 28, 2018 10:28

RollingFreak
A little confused by his rationale although I guess it doesn't matter. He seems very hellbent on saying this isn't the Byrds when we all really know it is. At least that era of the Byrds, minus Gram of course. Sure, it would be great to have Crosby with them too, but he wasn't on this album which makes up a majority of the setlist. Don't really care either way, its still cool they are doing it. But its strange how much he wants to stress its not the Byrds when I think if they did this tour as that no one would bat an eye.

Because it's not The Byrds. And in this day and age you cash in on a band's legacy while still forsaking the actual name.

Also seems like yet another band with a very weird band dynamic. That Roger and David like each other but Roger seems to not have any interest playing with him at all, Byrds or otherwise. Super strange.

There really is no dynamic to speak of as Roger was the only constant member. And I don't think anyone, anywhere has any interest in playing with David.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 28, 2018 11:00

Dan
RollingFreak

Because it's not The Byrds. And in this day and age you cash in on a band's legacy while still forsaking the actual name.

There really is no dynamic to speak of as Roger was the only constant member. And I don't think anyone, anywhere has any interest in playing with David.

I go to Byrds concert in Central Park NY circa 1967 and no David Crosby! Only four guys He had gotten the boot.

Roger is a religious Christian
Chris Hillman goes to Greek Orthodox church due to his wife who was born into it.
**** Dave Crosby is uncontrollable godless heathen and not needed on this tour....in fact he would make it implode

Just ask Graham Nash who cannot bear to be w Dave these days

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home