Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stage design
Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: June 3, 2018 01:52

Out of all the stages from 63 to present I honestly think this is their best one,the lighting is phenominal even without the guy who passed away not to long ago I forget his name,but this stage is very intriguing,SFTD should not open a show but they been doing this for so long now they may get bored with start me up etc,I'm very jealous of this stage compared to when I saw them on zip code columbus,oh..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 01:53 by mitchrambler.

Re: NoFilter Stage design
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 3, 2018 02:35

mitchrambler

the guy who passed away not to long ago I forget his name

It was Mark Fisher - [www.Stufish.com] - Wikipedia .

The NoFilter-Stage was designed by a Team of Stage-architects from Stufish led by Ray Winkler.

Date: June 3, 2018 03:00

From [www.LiveDesignOnline.com] :

"The Rolling Stones' No Filter Tour features creative direction by Patrick Woodroffe and set design by Ray Winkler of Stufish.

Woodroffe and Winkler’s set is a clean design of modern simplicity, featuring four monolithic 72'x36' LED video screens. Each screen has an LED return to each side to create a 3D slab look, which is accentuated by a horizontal strip of lights across the vertical recess at the top of each screen.

The two outer towers rotate outwards to break away from the conventional flat backdrop. Suspended 39' over the band is a custom cantilever, transparent roof. Additionally, there is a 92' T-shaped catwalk and b-stage.

Each system fills 17 trucks. It takes 2.5 days to load-in, with six fork lifts and two cranes, and then 18 hours to disassemble and load back onto the trucks.

Wonder Works and StageCo collaborated on the technical design elements of the set, including two steel, tower, and roof systems.

Wicreations developed and fabricated the aluminium-clad, transparent roof, complete with its own drainage system formed from four curved 39' steel roof beams that each break down into two sections. Wicreations also supplied the wind bracing system and motion control hoists that are connected to the black steel base of the towers.

StageCo built the spot/delay towers, platforms, and covered front of house risers, provided pulley beams, lifting cables, and the trussing support system for the video screens as well as handled all the scaffolding and stage decking requirements. Lighting/video control and sound each had their own riser.

Central to Woodroffe’s lighting design are nine Martin by Harman fixtures positioned on each of the roof’s 39' sections that travel in custom-built beams."

More about the NoFilter-Stage: [www.Stufish.com] , [www.StageCo.com] , [www.WIcreations.com] , [www.LSionline.com] , [PLSN.com] , [Accessaa.co.uk] , [www.Pollstar.com] , [www.Disguise.one] .

Re: Stage design
Posted by: kevos ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:33

I would of loved to see the Bigger Bang stage. AND how the hell did you get to be inside it?!! Was that for guests and VIP's ?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:39

It’s nice to see that they’ve evolved away from the bells and whistles stages. Or evolved back to a more simple design if you will.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: ABB Stage design
Date: June 3, 2018 18:50

kevos

I would of loved to see the Bigger Bang stage. AND how the hell did you get to be inside it?!! Was that for guests and VIP's ?

[www.Stufish.com]

[www.RollingStonesItalia.com]

The special Ticket (for everybody) was €450 (CHF 600). Tickets were also raffled.

Other pictures from the balconies: [iorr.org] - (note the stairways). Reports: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Gerry ()
Date: June 3, 2018 19:15

For me the best stage design was during the Voodoo Lounge-Tour.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 3, 2018 19:26

I love the Voodoo Lounge first, then Babylon. I paid the price for the Bigger Bang "onstage" ticket. It was special of course and a great spectacle. Also Licks and Urban Jungle were great. Sorry to say the new stage is my least favorite. I even liked 14 On Fire better. 1981 was nothing in comparison to the later tours but still holds a special place for me since it was my first Stones gig. These are my rankings for what it's worth.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 3, 2018 21:47

Irix
From [www.LiveDesignOnline.com] :

"The Rolling Stones' No Filter Tour features creative direction by Patrick Woodroffe and set design by Ray Winkler of Stufish.

Woodroffe and Winkler’s set is a clean design of modern simplicity, featuring four monolithic 72'x36' LED video screens. Each screen has an LED return to each side to create a 3D slab look, which is accentuated by a horizontal strip of lights across the vertical recess at the top of each screen.

The two outer towers rotate outwards to break away from the conventional flat backdrop. Suspended 39' over the band is a custom cantilever, transparent roof. Additionally, there is a 92' T-shaped catwalk and b-stage.

Each system fills 17 trucks. It takes 2.5 days to load-in, with six fork lifts and two cranes, and then 18 hours to disassemble and load back onto the trucks.

Wonder Works and StageCo collaborated on the technical design elements of the set, including two steel, tower, and roof systems.

Wicreations developed and fabricated the aluminium-clad, transparent roof, complete with its own drainage system formed from four curved 39' steel roof beams that each break down into two sections. Wicreations also supplied the wind bracing system and motion control hoists that are connected to the black steel base of the towers.

StageCo built the spot/delay towers, platforms, and covered front of house risers, provided pulley beams, lifting cables, and the trussing support system for the video screens as well as handled all the scaffolding and stage decking requirements. Lighting/video control and sound each had their own riser.

Central to Woodroffe’s lighting design are nine Martin by Harman fixtures positioned on each of the roof’s 39' sections that travel in custom-built beams."

More about the NoFilter-Stage: [www.Stufish.com] , [www.StageCo.com] , [www.WIcreations.com] , [www.LSionline.com] , [PLSN.com] , [Accessaa.co.uk] , [www.Pollstar.com] , [www.Disguise.one] .

Thanks for sharing these.....a little peek behind the scenes.

Posted by: samMuc ()
Date: June 3, 2018 23:03

This is an early sketch of the no Filter Stage. Posted on the Stufish Facebook Site back in September. I like the Lighting Towers inbetween the screens. Note the
Catwalk was still in the state everyone expected from layout as seen on the ticket provider sites. Must have been changed in the last minute.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 4, 2018 10:59

IMHO 14 on fire was the worst stadium stage ever used by the Stones, looking really cheap/standart.

The No Filter is one of my faves, along the Voodoo Lounge and SW/UJ
Licks the Licks stadium stage was very novative with the moving screens parts
The BTB tour's bridge was also great, the rest of the BtB stage staying pretty classic.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 4, 2018 11:27

I like the more spare design they are using now; and have always loved that walkway and 'b' stage design.
My only caveat is that I think it's more exciting,
(despite whatever other tech prep, they've got toppermost crew),
when the whole band, (the spare version without All the various cast members),
also do that killer and casual walk-way strut to a much smaller set-up,
but smack dab in the middle of the fans,
and play a mini-set very close together physically,
which lends much more fascination to me,
as I watch them work off of each other; and rely on each other in close quarters.

Mick can work the whole crowd from there obviously.
Mick could work a sheep meadow and the dogs would bring fresh lamb for Keith;
that's not the point.

I've always been fascinated with their little 'looks' and subtle 'cues' at each other;
or even the non-so-subtle ones.
It gives you at least the illusion; but I'd contend some of the real impact,
of those classic club shows;
And on a stage even much smaller than Fonda, (Triumphsmileys with beer) and roughly equivalent to a lot
of clubs that even artists on the edge of the business work regularly.

Speaking of Fonda, let's have some more Sticky in this leg of the No Filter Tour. I don't think the usual arguments about how everything has to be
familiar to the more casual public, really works with SF material.
Honestly I admit I was supprised at how hard and beautifully they really
rodked that place. At least we have fine recorded versions of it.
That was a genuinely exciting show; and I think you can tell that Mick
himself, a true master at going thru the motions credibly,
was really getting his own ass off that night. my impression anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-04 11:41 by hopkins.

Date: June 4, 2018 14:58

nothing beats the ABB stage. The lights where so beautifull. Great B Stage also.

Personally i like one screen better than the 4 towers we have now. It gives another dynamic to watching the band and the stones always had a extremely good director.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 4, 2018 15:48

Steel Wheels, what a massive set!

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 6, 2018 14:40

So are they still doing 2 stages...As`one goes up one come's down like in previous tour's?

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: June 6, 2018 15:07

kevos

The view from a balcony (Pittsburgh 2015) :

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 6, 2018 15:12

Massimo68
kevos

The view from a balcony (Pittsburgh 2015) :

There was a SMS game in Munich inside the stadium. A friend of mine was lucky and we both went up there :-)

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 6, 2018 18:46

1. Bridges to Babylon
2. Steel Wheels
3. Voodoo Lounge
4. Bigger Bang
5. No Filter
6. Licks
7. 2014-2015

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 6, 2018 18:58

The new one is the best. Because it's functional. Based on big video screens. Serves it's purpose best.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 6, 2018 19:11

1.Urban Jungle Tour 1990
2.Voodoo Lounge Tour 1995
3.No Filter 2017

HMN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2018 19:19

Although it wasn't built specifically for the Stones (I believe Roger Waters had a hand in it's design), The Desert Trip stage was amazing - a massive single screen.

And here's what Roger Waters did to it for a portion of the show:

And a pic I took just prior to Roger Waters show:

Date: June 6, 2018 19:29

Yep, videos screens is it. That's all you need. The rest is history.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 6, 2018 20:34

I've seen them all going back to 1972, including No Filter in Paris, and also liked VL the best of the stadium shows. No Security gets my vote for arenas. BUT the video screens are so much better nowadays, such that the No Filter set up and overall impression creates a magnificent concert experience where it's all about the band and music - no gimmicks. And, of course, the audio blast is better than ever now too.

HBK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 21:18 by HouseBoyKnows.

Date: June 6, 2018 23:05

Enormous steel constructions, fire breathing snakes, huge fallos symbols, inflatable dogs and hookers versus video screens = 0-5!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 7, 2018 12:08

The old style stages had a wow factor the moment you walked into the stadium. The new NF style stage does not create a wow factor until the show starts and even then not until it's dark.

Personally, I prefer the larger higher definition screens of this tour. It means that even those at the back of the concert get a really good experience.

In particular I would like to highlight the bit in the middle of MR (well you heard about the Boston.... ) where the screens flash up red. That is spine tingling and really good use of technology to enhance great music.

Perhaps SFTD needs some real fire though. Something to burn the eyebrows off the audience on the first "pleased to meet you".

My ranking of the stages that I saw:

1. No Filter
2. Voodoo Lounge
3. ABB
4. B2B
5. 50 and Counting (O2)
6. Licks
7. Hyde Park

I would also like to mention that weird animatronic fire breathing phoenix on top of the stage at Glastonbury. I wasn't there but it looked pretty cool on TV.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 7, 2018 16:20

kevos

IORR Detroit ON STAGE Review

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: June 7, 2018 18:05

Bridges to Babylon
Voodoo Lounge
A Bigger Bang (No latinamerica-new zealand stage)
Licks
Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle

No filter, Zip Code/14 On fire/Ole Tour, are not Top 5 Stages, they dont have concept or something extraordinary...

50 Anniversary Arenas Stage is in other Level, really good for the date!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 7, 2018 18:35

I still particularly like the Voodoo Lounge stage.

But I also like the current No Filter Stage a lot, especially with a view to the huge video columns.

Remembering Stadtpark Hamburg show on 9 Sep 2017 on the big meadow, the intro SFTD was so impressing with the fire red lighting and huge real flames coming out from the top of the construction.

And then, with the meadow with the infield and the grandstands being surrounded or flanked by huge old trees, remembering the sight of the trees, beautifully illuminated in all tones of red, yellow, orange and purple, or seeing pictures of it, is still unforgetable and touching to me.

NB: Police reported a crowd of 100,000 with 85,000 inside the place and 15,000 watching from outside.

d.f

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 7, 2018 21:01

After Licks had progressed beyond the “stage decorations flanking one big screen” look, I always felt ABB was a bit of a step back. While the sides did look cool and futuristic when lit up in the dark, in daylight it looked like a parking garage.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: June 7, 2018 21:23

The big HD screens work very well. Also I think the production is done very well. It is quite smart or economical too as very few parts are bespoke.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home