Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: smoking smileyRe: songs performed in 2018 – overview
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 6, 2018 17:53

RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

Ugh! It drives me crazy! I can't stand their setlists. Not that I don't love the songs, just that it never changes, for the most part. The ones on "every show" have been that way for years now! TAKE THEM OUT! ALL OF THEM!

To how many shows have you been so far, this year?

5 so far. None of them Stones however, my last show attended was Steve Earle. I don't go to see Stones anymore, I think 2002 was my last one ... due to price and more importantly the set-lists.

In my 5 shows, I did not hear JJF, HTW, Brown Sugar, and I somehow still enjoyed myself, as did the crowds!

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: June 6, 2018 21:00

LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

Ugh! It drives me crazy! I can't stand their setlists. Not that I don't love the songs, just that it never changes, for the most part. The ones on "every show" have been that way for years now! TAKE THEM OUT! ALL OF THEM!

5 so far. None of them Stones however, my last show attended was Steve Earle. I don't go to see Stones anymore, I think 2002 was my last one ... due to price and more importantly the set-lists.

In my 5 shows, I did not hear JJF, HTW, Brown Sugar, and I somehow still enjoyed myself, as did the crowds!

Great that you enjoyed the concerts of other bands you heared this year. I have attended three Stones shows this year so far and I enjoyed myself as well! As other hundreds of thousands did - although (or because!?) they played some of their greatest hits.

Date: June 7, 2018 22:15

RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

Great that you enjoyed the concerts of other bands you heared this year. I have attended three Stones shows this year so far and I enjoyed myself as well! As other hundreds of thousands did - although (or because!?) they played some of their greatest hits.

Great, glad you enjoyed yourself. But I have my own question ... if on the 2nd or 3rd show, if they did not play Brown Sugar & Honky Tonk Women, and instead played ... (just picking out random tunes) Crazy Mama & Monkey Man, would you have enjoyed it more or less?

Re: songs performed in 2018 – overview
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 10, 2018 13:52

updated 10/6/18

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 10, 2018 15:18

I just thank my lucky stars I was not in attendance for the show that Shattered was played. Dont care how great the show as a whole was , Shattered is always awful. IMHO of course.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 10, 2018 16:12

Speaking to a friend last night, he says the thing he really likes about the stones is how they vary the setlist. He's a Clapton fan where you get an identical setlist totalling about 15 songs every night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 16:13 by sjs12.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 10, 2018 16:45

LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

thumbs up

This is a kind of thread that can bring out the worst in people, at least in me. At the same time, it`s such stuff that bv would love; making little look much.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 10, 2018 16:57

Your friend is right, sjs12. 15 percent variation is better than 0 percent variation. I don't think Clapton delivers the songs in exactly the same manner every time though. But I don't know. Maybe he does?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 11, 2018 14:48

I mentioned in another thread seeing Paul Simon last week. He varies each date on his tour only slightly — adding a song or two or changing the order. But he doesn’t play all his warhorses. Most of the middle third of his show was relatively new work and rarities. Taking out of the set list, on this final tour, warhorses like Bridge Over Troubles Water and Mrs. Robinson, gives him more time to make this a different show. I’ve seen him many times, and not seen the same show from tour to tour.

The Stones decided long ago to make most of each show be the same songs. It’s not a question just of age — Simon is the same age. It’s a question of two things, I think. One is wanting to fill stadiums. The Stones don’t trust the audience to be there if they don’t play the biggest hits. And the other is the balance of the effort required for preparation v. artistic ambition. The Stones and Paul Simon have made different choices.

They both put on great shows. The shows have different levels of meaning.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: June 11, 2018 15:25

LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

Great, glad you enjoyed yourself. But I have my own question ... if on the 2nd or 3rd show, if they did not play Brown Sugar & Honky Tonk Women, and instead played ... (just picking out random tunes) Crazy Mama & Monkey Man, would you have enjoyed it more or less?

Maybe I'm too realistic that it just can't happen because lots of people in the stadium are there for just this show. Most of them. But I also got some great rarely played songs: Shattered, Neighbours, Fool To Cry, The Worst, Wild Horses, Under my Thumb, She's A Rainbow. Great! And I hope they keep on doing this. I would love to hear Sister Morphine, CYHMK or maybe Rough Justice. But I also love JJF, MR, Miss You...
I would not enjoy a show without warhorses because it's always great to her 60.000 people singing "I'm Jumping Jack Flash ist a gas gas gas" and "...pleased to meet you...!"

Date: June 11, 2018 16:46

The thing is: In the seventies they had almost the same setlist on tours. But the setlist varied between tours and they had new songs to fill in with.
So the setlist was relatively fresh between tours. Warhorse were fewer (and a lot younger of course). Surely less than 50 percent (as opposed to 85 percent now).

Date: June 11, 2018 16:46

The thing is: In the seventies they had almost the same setlist on tours. But the setlist varied between tours and they had new songs to fill in with.
So the setlist was relatively fresh between tours. Warhorses were fewer (and a lot younger of course). Surely less than 50 percent (as opposed to 85 percent now).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 17:01 by Stoneage.

Date: June 11, 2018 16:54

Stoneage
So the setlist was relatively fresh between tours. Warhorse were fewer (and a lot younger of course). Surely less than 50 percent (as opposed to 85 percent now).

problem is: they have given up adding new(er) songs to their setlists. Beside Keith's songs The Worst and Slipping away the newest song is from 1981! (Start Me Up)

Date: June 11, 2018 19:08

RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

Maybe I'm too realistic that it just can't happen because lots of people in the stadium are there for just this show. Most of them. But I also got some great rarely played songs: Shattered, Neighbours, Fool To Cry, The Worst, Wild Horses, Under my Thumb, She's A Rainbow. Great! And I hope they keep on doing this. I would love to hear Sister Morphine, CYHMK or maybe Rough Justice. But I also love JJF, MR, Miss You...
I would not enjoy a show without warhorses because it's always great to her 60.000 people singing "I'm Jumping Jack Flash ist a gas gas gas" and "...pleased to meet you...!"

They are much better than the used to be, at least they do mix up the middle, but I disagree about the warhorses completely. They have enough that they can even rotate those too -- if they play Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up, I doubt people would be complaining that they didn't hear Honky Tonk, JJF, Tumbling, etc.

They've done it in the past -- played big shows many years in the 60s and 70s with no Satisfaction in the set list. Same w/ JJF, that was not a regular in '73 or '75.

The thing is, back in '78 or '81, no one cared if they played the same setlist because no one ever knew back then. You went to your local show and that was it. Now w/ the information age, we get every show on dimeadozen or youtube, and they release them now ever tour, and we get JJF 8,000,000 times, I could easily go a show without hearing it! But back at my first ever show in '81, I was the most excited person in the crowd when they played it.

So back to my point ... the cost has become so high, it is a night out for many and they will get a spectacular show, i get it... but I've been there/done that, so for me I don't want to pay the high price for what I see as the same thing.

Now if they wanted me to spend, let's say $1500 ... give me a show w/ the 5 or 6 (or 7, one sax player allowed), and play me an unusual set, with songs, for example:

19th Nervous Breakdown
Mother's Little Helper
2000 Man
Break The Spell
Surprise Surprise
Tell Me
Ventilator Blues
Have Mercy
Jig Saw Puzzle
Feel On Baby
... you get the point. But Wow! I would gladly shell out for this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-11 19:15 by LeonidP.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 12, 2018 00:09

I’d go, LeonidP. But I’d also want to hear Memo From Turner.

Date: June 12, 2018 17:11

bam
I’d go, LeonidP. But I’d also want to hear Memo From Turner.

Haha, agree, but I wasn't trying to be greedy. But yes, it would even be more spectacular if they through in some rarities, especially for their loyal long-time fans. How about:

- Memo From Turner
- Thru the Lonely Nights
- We Love You
- Fancyman Blues
- We Had It All (gotta have a Keith rarity)
!!!

Date: June 12, 2018 17:51

We know the order by now. Three interchangeable songs in the first third of the gig. From then on the usual suspects. 85 percent warhorses, 15 percent variation.
What's the point speculating in something that is not going to happen?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 13, 2018 04:02

LeonidP
JJF, that was not a regular in '73 or '75.

It was. They finished a majority of the 1975 tour with Jumpin' Jack Flash.

In 1973 they played Jumpin' Jack Flash every show.

Date: June 13, 2018 22:05

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
JJF, that was not a regular in '73 or '75.

It was. They finished a majority of the 1975 tour with Jumpin' Jack Flash.

In 1973 they played Jumpin' Jack Flash every show.

Damn, might have been thinking of Satisfaction. Haven't listened to my Brusses in a while, I am almost sure it doesn't have JJF though.

Date: June 13, 2018 22:28

Stoneage
We know the order by now. Three interchangeable songs in the first third of the gig. From then on the usual suspects. 85 percent warhorses, 15 percent variation.

at least it's more variation than last year (in 2017 after the first few shows variation shrank down to two songs)

Date: June 16, 2018 10:32

updated 16/06/18

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: June 16, 2018 13:18

LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
RollingStonesFan
LeonidP
TheGreek
I love the setlists ...

You're both right. I would have gone @#$%& crazy to hear Monkey Man and I think Crazy Mama would have been an out of body experience (how long since they played that?) but 80% of the audience would be looking blankly at each other - just as at London Stadium when Fool To Cry started. 20% in raptures and the rest wondering what the 20% was so excited about lol

Date: June 17, 2018 13:33

updated 17/06/18 - with some statistic about the set list variation from show to show

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: June 20, 2018 18:12

»Bitch« and »Beast of Burden« from Twickenham can be added to the list now ...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 20, 2018 19:49

...Good job, slewan.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 20, 2018 20:40

Stoneage

BV should place this at the end of the “set list discussion” thread and just close it.

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: June 29, 2018 18:10

Adding Twickenham, Berlin & Marseille:

Before They Make Me Run 5
Bitch 1
Beast Of Burden 1
Brown Sugar (every show)
Dead Flowers 2
Fool To Cry 2
Get Off Of My Cloud 2
Gimme Shelter (every show)
Happy 3
Honky Tonk Women (every show)
It's Only Rock'n Roll (every show)
Jumping Jack Flash (every show)
Just Your Fool 7
Let’s Spend The Night Together 4
Like A Rolling Stone 4
Midnight Rambler (every show)
Miss You (every show)
Neighbours 1
Paint It Black (every show)
Ride 'Em On Down 5
Satisfaction (every show)
Shattered 1
She's A Rainbow 2
Slipping Away 1
Start Me Up (every show)
Street Fighting Man 3
Sweet Virgina 1
Sympathy For The Devil (every show)
The Worst 3
Tumbling Dice (every show)
Under My Thumb 3
Wild Horses 2
You Can't Always Get What You Want (every show)
You Got The Silver 4

34 songs in 11 shows à 19 songs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home