Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: Coventry UK 2-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 3, 2018 14:08

wupperstein
Who plays the harp (harmonica) on Miss You?
The Youtube Video shows Mick is only playing the guitar.

eh eh matt clifford.. i bet, as the chorus on YCWGWYW I bet..

useless if not noxious to the songs imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 14:09 by maumau.

Date: June 3, 2018 14:35

jumpingjackflash5
E.g. this Paint it Black version is not stale.

[www.youtube.com]

I am not at all the type "best ever" but, though it has the same arrangement, I do prefer this version to the 1989/1990's one

Date: June 3, 2018 14:38

that Charlie photo is fantastic!

SFM as an opener is just the best ever (altought this version is not as good as in London)

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 3, 2018 14:52

I would just like to thank the complete dickhead in Pit B (I was in Pit A), who threw a plastic pint pot full of clear liquid (????) at Mick as he walked back up the ramp towards the end of Gimme Shelter. It hit him on the back and spilled on him, but being the pro that he is, he completely ignored it. Whoever did this, I hope security caught and threw the person out immediately. This is 2018, not 1976.

Date: June 3, 2018 14:52

surprisingly (for me) hot version of HTW

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 3, 2018 14:58

Glanced through the pages. SFM sure sounded nice. A great opener. And the daylight (in the beginning) made it nicer to look at. You could see the crowd's reaction. The interaction. Which is always nice.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:01

Look's like everyone had a great time..Last night...Silly question i have not seen any No Filter Beer Cup's..There were none in Dublin on the pitch anyway.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:05

Like A Rolling Stone last night in Coventry.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:05

Ride 'Em On Down - Coventry.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:06

Midnight Rambler - Coventry 2018

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:14

mikey C
Look's like everyone had a great time..Last night...Silly question i have not seen any No Filter Beer Cup's..There were none in Dublin on the pitch anyway.

Did mean to look, but I did not see any.

Rolling Stones - Coventry UK 2-June-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:22

Review: The Rolling Stones at Coventry's Ricoh Arena

By Bobby Bridge
3 JUN 2018

One day in the not-so-distant future, jaw-dropping evenings like these could be an experience only kept alive in our memories.

Rolling Stones top a list of iconic rock-and-roll powerhouses still plying their trade to the masses way beyond any financial requirement from any of its band members.

Some 47 years after Mick Jagger and company first played in the city, the Stones rolled into the Ricoh Arena with insatiable force and energy that defied their ever-advancing years.

While absorbed in the relentless wall of sound and kaleidoscope of colour flickering through four giant screens, there was a sinking moment of reflection - how many more nights like these can the legends of music's finest genre continue to produce?

In 20 years time, which current guitar-riffing, swaggering offering from today's market will be able to rock up on stage and deliver an awe-inspiring set of instantly-recognisable tunes?

Will there even be a thirst for live music in the year 2038 with music so readily available on phones allowing for a zombified generation of heads-down youths with over-sized earphones wandering vacantly into traffic?

For the time being, let us celebrate and indulge in a pass-time like no other, and a group of protagonists who've been at the top of their game far longer than the stadium they were playing in and many of those who'd paid to come along and watch.

'Coventry's favourite sons' The Specials - as Mick Jagger later coined them - warmed up the crowd with a foot-tapping set that concluded with a string of their most successful songs.

Before 'A Message to You Rudy', guitarist Lynval Golding declared it a dream to be performing in his home town before the esteemed headline act.

With little fuss nor introduction, messiahs Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards and Charlie Watt took up their positions along with a swelled group of backing singers and musicians and struck the first chords of Street Fighting Man, first recorded 50 years ago.

Out powered Jagger with youthful verve and tangible joy for his craft, entertaining crowds into his 75th year on this planet.

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) kept the fever pitch alive with the song, heard so frequently on radios and television screens for decades taking on a deeper, taking on an achingly brilliant Blues feel when being performed live.

While Jagger's cavorting and eye-catching outfit changes caught the eye, I was locked onto the master craftsman of arguably the greatest guitar pairing in British music history as Ronnie Wood locked into his riffs and Keith Richards - still in love with the music pouring from his fingers after all these years.

After Paint It Black completed Jagger reminisced about the bands' previous visits to Coventry, the first way back in the early 60s at the Matrix Ballroom: 'Now a car showroom' mused the frontman, then a subsequent concert at the Locarno - 'now a library', he added.

A slower, acoustic-led section of songs followed before 1969 hit Honky Tonk Woman powered in and Jagger delighted his crowd with words of praise for Coventry City after their promotion-sealing season, returning the club to 'the days of Jimmy Hill'.

Start Me Up, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar drew the main set to a close by 10.05pm, but of course the boys were back on stage just a few minutes later.

Inevitably the evening concluded with Satisfaction.

Appropriate given the mood of the thousands delighting in every chord, every word pumped out of the huge banks of speakers.

Nights like these, with icons of music, might be lost in years to come, so we must seize upon these opportunities to create lasting memories.

[www.coventrytelegraph.net]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:26

grzegorz67
I would just like to thank the complete dickhead in Pit B (I was in Pit A), who threw a plastic pint pot full of clear liquid (????) at Mick as he walked back up the ramp towards the end of Gimme Shelter. It hit him on the back and spilled on him, but being the pro that he is, he completely ignored it. Whoever did this, I hope security caught and threw the person out immediately. This is 2018, not 1976.

I didn’t see that incident as I was looking at the stage but I did see one of the crew hurriedly mopping up the catwalk right after the song and wondered what the reason was. The culprit must have been a pal of the idiot in gold circle who early on threw a pint of beer and drenched several of us in pit B.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:27

That's a great review.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:30

Cristiano Radtke
For those interested, here's a video with the whole concert (sorry if it was already posted): [www.youtube.com]

Just watching this, with a chilled glass of wine.

Thanks.

Still on a high from last night.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:47

Great show and a far better setlist than at Southampton. I was in the stands near the front and it was so different from my Pit experiences in the last 10 days but I had a special person in tow - my 10-year-old daughter who is now a huge Rolling Stones fan. So thank you Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie and the others - you made a grown man weep with joy.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:50

Beast
grzegorz67

I didn’t see that incident as I was looking at the stage but I did see one of the crew hurriedly mopping up the catwalk right after the song and wondered what the reason was. The culprit must have been a pal of the idiot in gold circle who early on threw a pint of beer and drenched several of us in pit B.

There were quite a few objects chucked about during the show last night in both GC and Pit. Moronic anti social behaviour, not required. I saw the crew member mopping the floor between Gimme Shelter and Satisfaction and that was the reason. The drink (or at least I hope that’s what it was!) scored a direct hit on Mick’s back and I wondered how he’d react but thankfully he ignored it.

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:51

Hi all. I was in the lucky position to go to see the Stones for the 19th time last night BUT with three friends who hadnt seen them before. They are casual fans - not like us on this forum, so I was really interested in finding out what they made of it to see how it differs from the views we perhaps get caught up on in the ‘bubble’ of IORR. They are all casual rock fans and have seen AC/DC, Springsteen etc before.

Their highlights:

Person 1: Charlie’s drums on the intro of PIB
Person 2: The bass solo in Miss You
Person 3: Keith’s loud Guitar on the chorus of sympathy

Their worst moment:

Person 1 and 2: Midnight Rambler - “messy and didn’t know where it was going”
Person 3: Ride em on Down “standard middle of the road blues number”

Please don’t shoot the messenger - but I do think it’s interesting to see how this wildly contrasts from what we are often say on here. I should say overall they were all singing the stones’ praises and loved the gig.

Finally, from my POV I thought the gig kept up the good standard of this tour. I thought the opening 4 songs were a little messier than in London. Keith was good but IMO he wasn’t quite as “on it” as he has been previously.

One last point: Please - whoever is doing the sound - sort Sachas volume out for gimme Shelter - twice now she has been singing her lungs out and it comes out like a whimper! They don’t even correct it during her solo - I think especially as it’s the encore they need to get this right quickly.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:58

odean73
Cristiano Radtke
For those interested, here's a video with the whole concert (sorry if it was already posted): [www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

smileys with beer

Just doing the same, I am at the end of GS and the question rise naturally to those who say they should call it a day: listen to this GS and tell me a good reason they should not keep on playing if they do it like this..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 15:59 by maumau.

Date: June 3, 2018 15:59

maumau
odean73
Cristiano Radtke

Thanks.

smileys with beer

Just doing the same, I am at the end of GS and the question rise naturally to those who say they should call it a day: listen to this GS and tell me a good reason they should not keep on playing it if they do it like this..

smileys with beer

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 3, 2018 15:59

Juniorjackflash
The Sicilian
I saw empty seats in the videos, the crowd seemed timid, and the tempo was slooooooow. All this reminiscing about the old days with the crowd well how about digging into the catalog and pulling out some gems. The show was average at best. Nothing epic about it.

Were you at the show or did you just watch a grainy hand held video of a snippet of the show and then comment?

Thought so - I was there they were awesome.

Only thing you’re right about was that there were some empty seats

Of course I wasn't there, and I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to see the same show over and over again.

BTW, the videos were of very good quality not grainy cell phone broadcasts as some are letting on.

Look, I've seen them first in 1978 and a bunch of times since and 40 years later I think I have a valid opinion of a Stones show.

I make a great pot of chili and have been making it for many years. It's a personal recipe. But it is as good as it gets. I've made it dozens of times and it is still the same every time, UNLESS, I add or change some of the ingredients or do something drastically different.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:10

I took my 10 year old son. His first ever concert, and he loved it. He's having drum lessons and thinks Charlie is super-cool. Just got home and we were showing his 7 year old brother the footage of SFM and they just think it's the coolest thing -especially when the announcer says "ladies and Gentlemen" and Charlie does a little roll on the drums...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:21

undertheradar
Just watched this show. I think this group could go far!

Gave our tickets to our boys to attend last night, still waiting for them to return and give the low down on the gig. All we have recieved so far was a two word text after the show 'Simply Amazing' ..guessing they liked it.

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:23

My oh my, The band is even better and tighter than last year !!!
2 more gigs to go for me, i am so HAPPY.
Jeroen

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:27

grzegorz67

That sux. Eject.
Although I thought I saw a pair of underwear/garter tossed up there too
(can’t remember which song)

*no reports or Bjornulf photos yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 16:30 by 35love.

Date: June 3, 2018 16:31

corriecas
Jeroen

My thoughts as well.

Two more for me as well.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:31

corriecas
Jeroen

I know.. good times, right?smileys with beer

Date: June 3, 2018 16:48

Any comments on Keith's playing here?
I mean, any anal ytical 5 pages long discussion on Keith's playing based on this?

[www.youtube.com]

Wonder why

it must be my wine smileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 16:55 by maumau.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:48

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:51

corriecas
tattooyou
Fantastic show - nice and loud. Apologies if this has been mentioned already but where is Keith’s skull ring?! Did he wear it in Southampton? It was present at both London shows from memory.

No, he did not wear the Skull in Southampton.
jeroen

Hmmm... has anyone seen Matt? grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home