Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17
Re: Coventry UK 2-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: hilary ()
Date: June 3, 2018 23:50

keithsman
sjs12
keithsman
sjs12
In addition, the out front mix has no bearing at all on Mick, how he sings or "competes".

The on stage monitoring is all separate and done from a different set of engineers on a different desk.

If Mick wants, he can ask for his monitor feed to have none of her vocals in during the solo part, bearing in mind he stays back on the main stage when she does her stuff.

Bearing that in mind i think my theory sucks now, sorry about that.

But Mick surely still needs to sing harder to come across to the audience when Sasha is going full pelt regardless of Micks on stage monitoring from a different set of engineers. He still needs to compete unless Sasha is turned down.
Reading BV's review and a few other reviews i got the impression they thought Sasha had been deliberately turned down and was asking for her to be turned up at the next show.

Anyway great review BV and Dean and some of those pictures were amazing, thank you to all concerned.

I don't think there ous anything wrong with Mick's voice on this. The only issue is that the out front mix is wrong.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Micks voice on this, its great, but i don't think the engineers wouldn't make a mistake 4 times in a row on the out front mix.
Its more than likely Mick has requested them to turn Sasha down.
Ok we agree to differ.

Sorry, maybe i missed something...why should Mick want this?? i dont understand the sense

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 4, 2018 00:11

keithsman
nobodyimportant
keithsman
It is a puzzle, interesting to see if its rectified in Manchester, i think four times in a row would mean its on purpose.

Already four times (London 1 & 2, Southampton and now reportedly Coventry). Not sure about Dublin. But it was the same at all three shows I attended.

So i am right then, its intended. Does this mean i'm not stupid after all winking smiley

Sorry I said I thought what you said was stupid! I meant only that the concept of Mick asking for the vocal solo to be turned down on purpose was, in my opinion, just wrong to the core. I perhaps should have been a bit more eloquent to begin with.

Date: June 4, 2018 00:15

keithsman
sjs12
keithsman
sjs12
In addition, the out front mix has no bearing at all on Mick, how he sings or "competes".

The on stage monitoring is all separate and done from a different set of engineers on a different desk.

If Mick wants, he can ask for his monitor feed to have none of her vocals in during the solo part, bearing in mind he stays back on the main stage when she does her stuff.

But Mick surely still needs to sing harder to come across to the audience when Sasha is going full pelt regardless of Micks on stage monitoring from a different set of engineers. He still needs to compete unless Sasha is turned down.
Reading BV's review and a few other reviews i got the impression they thought Sasha had been deliberately turned down and was asking for her to be turned up at the next show.

Anyway great review BV and Dean and some of those pictures were amazing, thank you to all concerned.

I don't think there ous anything wrong with Mick's voice on this. The only issue is that the out front mix is wrong.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Micks voice on this, its great, but i don't think the engineers wouldn't make a mistake 4 times in a row on the out front mix.
Ok we agree to differ.

I think it is more like a mistake oor technical issue than on purpose as directed by Mick. That said i am really perplexed about why this is possible.

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: June 4, 2018 00:15

On the Sasha voice mix question... The Stones have one of the most professional technical teams you will ever see. Show after after show. Every light cue, every video cue right on the money as fitting a band of this caliber.

For whatever reason, her voice is mixed down, and the one thing you can know for sure is that this is not a mistake. It's not because the sound team doesn't understand how it sounds outside their booth. These guys are top notch professionals. They know how to mix the sound to be the best it can be in every venue they play. They do exactly what they're supposed to do show after show after show.

There's a very remote chance that it could happen once. But there's no way this happens by accident more than one time.

So here's what we know:

1) Sasha's voice has been mixed way down on her featured part in G.S.
2) It's not an accident.

Beyond that, the speculation can continue.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 4, 2018 00:22

hilary
keithsman
sjs12
keithsman
sjs12

Ok we agree to differ.

Sorry, maybe i missed something...why should Mick want this?? i dont understand the sense

Yes i said this in a previous post.

I think Sasha is a brilliant back up vocalist, but like Bernard i don't so much enjoy her vocals playing a lead role, they are irreplaceable in doing what they do to thicken Micks vocals, and they mesh really well with the music and the band, but give me Lisa any day when it comes to GS.

I don't think its a mistake each night with the engineers when it comes to Sasha being hard to hear on GS, i would imagine Mick has requested it for some reason, perhaps he doesn't want to strain his voice trying to sing over her or up to her level.

Oh so you think the engineers turned her down four shows in a row by mistake and no one noticed and no one mentioned it to anyone. Funny that we can hear her perfectly the rest of the show doing back up vocals. I already explained my theory , Mick doesn't want to sing too hard while duetting with her and understandably so, it was while Mick was duetting with Florence during Wild Horses that his voice began to crack, Micks voice has struggled towards the end of the last few shows according to people that attended the shows and i just think he doesn't want to get drawn into over reaching .
Just my view, i'm probably wrong.

It's possible even feasible Mick may have requested it for this reason to the engineers,

Date: June 4, 2018 00:35

vibrolux
On the Sasha voice mix question... The Stones have one of the most professional technical teams you will ever see. Show after after show. Every light cue, every video cue right on the money as fitting a band of this caliber.

For whatever reason, her voice is mixed down, and the one thing you can know for sure is that this is not a mistake. It's not because the sound team doesn't understand how it sounds outside their booth. These guys are top notch professionals. They know how to mix the sound to be the best it can be in every venue they play. They do exactly what they're supposed to do show after show after show.

There's a very remote chance that it could happen once. But there's no way this happens by accident more than one time.

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

#

Thank you for clarifying vibrolux, its not really even speculation, it's obvious Mick's the commander, he makes the decisions, when he gets to hear about this discussion and the various reviews from Matt or whoever he will probably turn her back up next show, job done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-04 00:36 by keithsman.

Date: June 4, 2018 00:38

keithsman
hilary
keithsman
sjs12
keithsman
sjs12

Ok we agree to differ.

Yes i said this in a previous post.

I think Sasha is a brilliant back up vocalist, but like Bernard i don't so much enjoy her vocals playing a lead role, they are irreplaceable in doing what they do to thicken Micks vocals, and they mesh really well with the music and the band, but give me Lisa any day when it comes to GS.

I don't think its a mistake each night with the engineers when it comes to Sasha being hard to hear on GS, i would imagine Mick has requested it for some reason, perhaps he doesn't want to strain his voice trying to sing over her or up to her level.

Oh so you think the engineers turned her down four shows in a row by mistake and no one noticed and no one mentioned it to anyone. Funny that we can hear her perfectly the rest of the show doing back up vocals. I already explained my theory , Mick doesn't want to sing too hard while duetting with her and understandably so, it was while Mick was duetting with Florence during Wild Horses that his voice began to crack, Micks voice has struggled towards the end of the last few shows according to people that attended the shows and i just think he doesn't want to get drawn into over reaching .
Just my view, i'm probably wrong.

It's possible even feasible Mick may have requested it for this reason to the engineers,

Sorry but this is just illogical reasoning. The on stage monitor mix has nothing whatsoever to do with the out front mix. It is more likely a technical issue or a persistent mistake, e.g. a sound man not knowing how it's meant to sound, rather than Mick being unprofessional or not understanding how monitors work after more than 50 years inn the business.

Posted by: mymick ()
Date: June 4, 2018 00:46

A guy from New York we met yesterday got lucky. Met the Group before the show, got his seats upgraded to the Pit, caught a drum stick and then Keith’s plectrum thrown into crowd. He was, as expected, so overjoyed and think he is probably still smiling nowsmoking smiley

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: June 4, 2018 01:06

mymick
A guy from New York we met yesterday got lucky. Met the Group before the show, got his seats upgraded to the Pit, caught a drum stick and then Keith’s plectrum thrown into crowd. He was, as expected, so overjoyed and think he is probably still smiling nowsmoking smiley

Just smilingggg?? i would say hot smiley jumpping!! how the hell he met the group??!!

Date: June 4, 2018 02:39

vibrolux

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

thumbs up I think you´ve got it right. They are professionals and that´s the reason why they did it.

I felt a little bit sorry for Sasha, and she might be a good singer and a nice women who fits perfectly in for the dancing duet on Gimme Shelter but IMO it was more like screaming what she did, especially compared to Lisa who distinguished Gimme Shelter as a live experience. And this is a totally different issue concerning the record with Merry Clayton.

Nothing against Sasha but this might have been a well thought decision - may be I´m wrong - and why Lisa Fischer is not on board anymore is another unknown decision - they decide whoever knows, but I´m sure they won´t decide because of any suggestions on this board - well almost.....

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 4, 2018 04:19

Perhaps it’s as simple as choosing on this tour leg to reduce the importance of the backup singer’s vocal on the song. Merry Clayton’s vocals were not mixed up front on the record. Of course, neither were Jagger’s.

Re: Rolling Stones - Coventry UK 2-June-2018
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 4, 2018 04:47

bye bye johnny
With Tony Iommi:

Had a fantastic night at the Stones show and it was so nice to see my old friends.

Tony

[twitter.com]

This was the highlight of the evening. Too bad they didn't bring him out to play on a song or two. Which songs would be a good fit? What Sabbath song would be a good Stones cover?

Sway or Hey Negrita
Fairies Wear Boots or Sweet Leaf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2018 04:54

The Sicilian
bye bye johnny
With Tony Iommi:

Had a fantastic night at the Stones show and it was so nice to see my old friends.

Tony

[twitter.com]

This was the highlight of the evening. Too bad they didn't bring him out to play on a song or two. Which songs would be a good fit? What Sabbath song would be a good Stones cover?

Sway or Hey Negrita
Fairies Wear Boots or Sweet Leaf

Tony could beef up Heartbreaker with a heavy sizzling solo.
As for which Sabbath song would be a good Stones cover? I'm kind of stumped on that one...can't think of any...probably none.
But maybe Mick could do a solo cover of Changes...I can almost hear it as I read the lyrics: Changes lyrics

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 4, 2018 05:01

The Sicilian
bye bye johnny

Tony

[twitter.com]

This was the highlight of the evening.

Yeah, it's usually straight downhill after the pre-show photo op, innit?

Date: June 4, 2018 08:48

vibrolux

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

She could be a wee bit sick..

Date: June 4, 2018 12:01

grzegorz67
SomeTorontoGirl
corriecas
tattooyou
Fantastic show - nice and loud. Apologies if this has been mentioned already but where is Keith’s skull ring?! Did he wear it in Southampton? It was present at both London shows from memory.

No, he did not wear the Skull in Southampton.
jeroen

Hmmm... has anyone seen Matt? grinning smiley

I saw him several times yesterday. He was in Pit A a little further forward from me, on the catwalk rail, wearing an Event Staff Tee from Havana grinning smiley

I stood next to this guy. I was in front of Pit-A just beside the guard rail and then he suddenly appeared in front of me without a word when the show started. I didn't bother much, but he's properly mental, diving on the floor like a madman anytime Keith or Ronnie threw their guitar picks. I can't say I was impressed by that confused smiley

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 4, 2018 12:23

Having only received a two word text( Simply Amazing ) after ths Coventry gig, our lads finally arrived home 10pm Sunday evening. We thought they may have been sight-seeing or making most of the day so asked where thay had been - recovering, was the reply. Too much to drink, I asked. ...No just sheer exhaustion!

They had seen them before during the Bigger Bang tour but were just pups back than. A bit older now and have been to quite a few gigs and festivals of current bands etc, they mow give us an account of the evening's events.

They took with them our Lucky Dips and pulled Block 23 ...not quite the Pit B, Mrs Radar and I managed at Southampton but all dips are lucky..( we are all lucky to be in this bands presence)..anyway being the resourceful young men they are managed to find themselves on the pitch approx 15 rows back from Gold Circle fairly central to the stage. They were impressed with Specials and the atmosphere they provided to crowd. Then the Stones come on and are Blown Away by the bands energy and command of the stadium..they let themselves go and got caught up in all the momentum of the show, expended themselves completely by the end and were worn out to the point they could hardly write a text message. eye popping smiley They spent most of they sunday in bed ,even paying extra to stay until 6pm in the hotel..lol

..So in summation, "The best show we have been too, loved the 'smart phone' stage - thought the visuals were another level.. and HOW the bloody hell do those guys do it.. we are a third of their age and can't keep up.. then again they are not called Living Legends for nothing"

...Thanks for that boys I have taught (brainwashed) you well! ....Bring Cardiff on already!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-04 12:38 by undertheradar.

Date: June 4, 2018 14:25

undertheradar
Having only received a two word text( Simply Amazing ) after ths Coventry gig, our lads finally arrived home 10pm Sunday evening. We thought they may have been sight-seeing or making most of the day so asked where thay had been - recovering, was the reply. Too much to drink, I asked. ...No just sheer exhaustion!

They had seen them before during the Bigger Bang tour but were just pups back than. A bit older now and have been to quite a few gigs and festivals of current bands etc, they mow give us an account of the evening's events.

They took with them our Lucky Dips and pulled Block 23 ...not quite the Pit B, Mrs Radar and I managed at Southampton but all dips are lucky..( we are all lucky to be in this bands presence)..anyway being the resourceful young men they are managed to find themselves on the pitch approx 15 rows back from Gold Circle fairly central to the stage. They were impressed with Specials and the atmosphere they provided to crowd. Then the Stones come on and are Blown Away by the bands energy and command of the stadium..they let themselves go and got caught up in all the momentum of the show, expended themselves completely by the end and were worn out to the point they could hardly write a text message. eye popping smiley They spent most of they sunday in bed ,even paying extra to stay until 6pm in the hotel..lol

..So in summation, "The best show we have been too, loved the 'smart phone' stage - thought the visuals were another level.. and HOW the bloody hell do those guys do it.. we are a third of their age and can't keep up.. then again they are not called Living Legends for nothing"

...Thanks for that boys I have taught (brainwashed) you well! ....Bring Cardiff on already!!

They did well to get on the pitch. I tried but couldn't manage it as they were checking arm bands. I tried to charm several people dishing out arm bands too but they weren't having it. Ah well, as you say, all LDs are lucky!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 4, 2018 19:04

vibrolux

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

The band (Mick?) got tired of the "Lisa Fischer" arrangement where the female vocal spot would go down on the audience like a hurricane (a nod to the studio version). Maybe Mick finally decided it was a bit cheesy? So now he lets the guitar speak?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 4, 2018 19:33

sjs12
Cristiano Radtke
For those interested, here's a video with the whole concert (sorry if it was already posted): [www.youtube.com]

Scroll through to 1.15 on this video halfway through midnight rambler. Watch Keith entice Mick into singing a phrase from come on into my kitchen. Then look at the smile on Keith's face. That is a magic moment.

Wonderful, indeed!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 4, 2018 19:45

dcba
vibrolux

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

The band (Mick?) got tired of the "Lisa Fischer" arrangement where the female vocal spot would go down on the audience like a hurricane (a nod to the studio version). Maybe Mick finally decided it was a bit cheesy? So now he lets the guitar speak?

Then why have Sasha strut all the way to the b stage in full glare, sing her lungs out, and do the theater bit with Mick?

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: June 4, 2018 19:55

DeanGoodman
dcba
vibrolux

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

Then why have Sasha strut all the way to the b stage in full glare, sing her lungs out, and do the theater bit with Mick?

Exactly! Why not just drop it? It really is a mystery.

(I don't mean drop GS - I mean drop the female solo/duet part and just leave Sasha on backing vocals)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-04 20:01 by nobodyimportant.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 4, 2018 20:16

Did anybody to go the green room, before or after?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 4, 2018 21:04

Wow,I've never been a big fan of The Stones doing "Like A Rolling Stone", but I need to admit that was a smokin' version - they had a really good thing going on. Jagger's seems to love that number, full of enthusiasism and energy and Keith and especially Ronnie doing good stuff. Was the version a bit faster than previously? Probably not, but it felt to me... Besided that brief moment of Mick and Keith sharing the mic always warms up even the most cynical Stones fan....

"Dead Flowers" didn't work that well me thinks... sounded like Mick and Keith were singing different tune in chorus... Ronnie's good, though. Must have sounded great there at presence.

- Doxa

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 4, 2018 21:25

odean73

What is the green room?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 4, 2018 21:29

undertheradar

Fantastic read, thanks :-)

Date: June 4, 2018 22:40

DeanGoodman
dcba
vibrolux

So here's what we know:

2) It's not an accident.

In a nut shell, either save her the humiliation of turning her down or keep her at the back on on backing vocals.

Just wanted to say i really enjoy the honesty and integrity of your reviews Dean, it means so much more when you are full of praise for the band, because from you we know its the truth whether it's good or bad.thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 4, 2018 22:56

Bastion
odean73

What is the green room?

It was advertised by the arena for pre and after drinks and entertainment. I should imagine it would have been one of the conference venue,s in the ground.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 4, 2018 23:01

Bastion
odean73

What is the green room?
yeah went after - on the understanding shuttle busses would run til 2am, we left at 1am and...no buses but got an uber back to hotel in coventry pretty quick. It was a massive exhibition hall, lots of tables/seating, dance floor, food trucks and mobile bars round the edges, a merch stand that shut around midnight (and still had lithos) and a really good DJ. Played lots of stones and other rock. Really good natured, happy crowd (as you'd expect after a great gig), 1000 or so i'd guess. For me and the +1, was a better option than joining 30,000 departing at 10.30pm :-)

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 4, 2018 23:13

yorkshirestone
Bastion
odean73

What is the green room?
yeah went after - on the understanding shuttle busses would run til 2am, we left at 1am and...no buses but got an uber back to hotel in coventry pretty quick. It was a massive exhibition hall, lots of tables/seating, dance floor, food trucks and mobile bars round the edges, a merch stand that shut around midnight (and still had lithos) and a really good DJ. Played lots of stones and other rock. Really good natured, happy crowd (as you'd expect after a great gig), 1000 or so i'd guess. For me and the +1, was a better option than joining 30,000 departing at 10.30pm :-)

You made a good call. I joined the taxi queue and wasted an hour and a half waiting for a ride back to the hotel, instead of kicking back for an hour or so until the rush to leave wound down.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home