Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17
Re: Coventry UK 2-June-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 3, 2018 16:55

SomeTorontoGirl
corriecas
tattooyou
Fantastic show - nice and loud. Apologies if this has been mentioned already but where is Keith’s skull ring?! Did he wear it in Southampton? It was present at both London shows from memory.

No, he did not wear the Skull in Southampton.
jeroen

Hmmm... has anyone seen Matt? grinning smiley

I saw him several times yesterday. He was in Pit A a little further forward from me, on the catwalk rail, wearing an Event Staff Tee from Havana grinning smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 3, 2018 17:09

The end of the article:

"Nights like these, with icons of music, might be lost in years to come, so we must seize upon these opportunities to create lasting memories..".

120% true...

Rolling Stones - Coventry UK 2-June-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 3, 2018 17:24

Date: June 3, 2018 17:25

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: June 3, 2018 17:25

I think that's exactly what thet are giving us now!

All the Best!

laertisflash
The end of the article:

"Nights like these, with icons of music, might be lost in years to come, so we must seize upon these opportunities to create lasting memories..".

120% true...

Date: June 3, 2018 17:26

Date: June 3, 2018 17:27

Date: June 3, 2018 17:34

THE ROLLING STONES, RICOH ARENA, COVENTRY 2/6/2018

By Andy Thorley - June 3, 2018

“We first played Coventry in 1963”, says Mick Jagger tonight. Even allowing for the practicalities of that – its Charlie Watts’ 77th Birthday today, together with Ronnie Wood’s 71st yesterday – then even if you just stop and consider the political and social changes in those 54 years it is remarkable that music made by men this age and that era still resonates.

The vast majority of the crowd weren’t born the day that The Stones played The Matrix Ballroom that day in the early 60s, but the Stones transcend any normal boundaries. There are few rock bands that are genuine legends, were genuine innovators and who genuinely captured the Zeitgeist, The Rolling Stones did and they are here to prove why.

At 8.20 tonight on come The Stones. There’s a cast of thousands but all that matters is Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood are among them and “Street Fighting Man” joins them At 10.25 the quartet, alone, take their final bow after “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” and there really is nothing on this planet to compare it to.

Because here’s the thing: it doesn’t matter if you’ve got all the back catalogue, or if you’re like me and own about four Stones albums (one of them a Greatest Hits, naturally) it doesn’t matter whether you liked them from the start or got into them because you heard a cover of “Heartbreaker” (criminally ignored in the vote for audience song tonight in favour of “Like A Rolling Stone”) on The Quireboys live album in the early 90s (absolutely true), it is impossible not to get swept along in the tide of near hysteria that descends on Coventry.

And that hysteria isn’t much to do with a slick production – the big screens are ace, but there aren’t the usual stadium trappings – it is only to do with the sheer charisma, the sheer….something, that The Rolling Stones have.

They, give or take the odd blues thing from the album they released recently – and “Ride ‘Em On Down” is superb – they keep firing the hits at you. These are not songs you may know, these are songs that everyone, everywhere in the world has heard of. “Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)”, “Tumbling Dice”, “Paint It Black” and my personal favourite “Dead Flowers” would each be the signature tune of most careers, here they play on the undercard.

If we assume that “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” amounts to half time – basically Jagger has a sit down after while Richards plays a couple, not least of which is “Happy” with excellent back up from Wood’s Lap Steel, the second half of the set finds a gear that ordinary people don’t possess.

Never mind adding “for their age” after those words either. This is no sympathy vote. By any measure, the last 45 minutes of this is incredible. The gathering dark (and a stadium gig is always best in the dark) allows the light show to kick in, but if you are going to play gigs for 50 odd years, then you’d best find a last six to close your set like “Sympathy For The Devil”, “Miss You” (more camp than a row of tents in Go Outdoors, but just you try to resist it), “Midnight Rambler” – an extended jam that almost goes trance like –“Start Me Up”, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Brown Sugar” otherwise you can forget it.

Most of this works basically because Mick Jagger is the best there is. All other frontmen still try and copy him. They can’t get close on this evidence. He is phenomenal. A freak, a force of nature, whatever, but he’s brilliant here.

And he’s not finished. At least not until “Gimme Shelter” soars and the aforementioned “…Satisfaction” does its unmistakable stuff, Jagger racing from side to side time and again.

Saying that it’s only rock n roll is like saying football is only a game. Such a glib statement neglects to mention that music is a huge part of billions of lives, and the soundtrack to many people’s lives over the last six decades have been made by these men. You will likely as not never see their like again – hell, you might never see them again. And that is why this gig mattered more than most. That The Rolling Stones still have it, is beyond question.

[www.maximumvolumemusic.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 3, 2018 17:40

Photos added to the Coventry pages and reports coming soon see iorr news.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 18:07 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones - Coventry UK 2-June-2018
Posted by: powerage78 ()

Ronnie is on fire.
Impressive guitar hero pose, nothing forced.

bye bye johnny

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: odean73 ()

These reviews are absolutely brilliant and we'll summed up.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 3, 2018 17:41

Yes these reviews are great!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 3, 2018 17:56

Sicilian, tempo was not slow. And the fact that you are done with the Stones concerts, as you would like different songs, doesn't make the gigs "average at best". These two are different issues. Obviously, your opinion/feelings as for the first is affecting what you claim as for the second one.

Every one is entitled on his/her opinion, of course. But how do you explain that there is not other negative opinion about the particular gig, on the forum? Among so many pages... I guess that the explanation is what I already wrote.

PS: The Stones are performing in packed stadiums (from 95% to 100%, only at Croke Park the percentage could be a bit lower than 90%) once again. Despite the fact that, on the current round, they have scheduled 8 stadium shows in a relatively small area, by high prices (which should be lower of course). That's the reality. So, don't count empty seats. It's pointless. I don't think your criticism could look justified, this way. Just my opinion.

Date: June 3, 2018 18:19

Watching the show again from last night, and just wondering about the verse in midnight rambler, something to the effect ' in my kitchen ' what does it refer to?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: June 3, 2018 18:25

odean73
Watching the show again from last night, and just wondering about the verse in midnight rambler, something to the effect ' in my kitchen ' what does it refer to?

Robert Johnson

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 3, 2018 18:40

ChrisL
odean73

Robert Johnson

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 3, 2018 18:44

Is he mixing in some verse from You Gotta Move?

Exactly. I heart that last night on fb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 18:53 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 3, 2018 18:58

dead.flowers
Is he mixing in some verse from You Gotta Move?

Exactly. I heart that last night on fb.

no they play a verse of "Come on in my kitchen"

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 3, 2018 19:14

Hairball
It's kind of odd, but in many recent pics Ronnie looks like he's been airbrushed or polished - very smooth.

The magic of Botox

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 3, 2018 19:15

maumau
Any comments on Keith's playing here?
I mean, any anal ytical 5 pages long discussion on Keith's playing based on this?

[www.youtube.com]

Wonder why

it must be my wine smileys with beer

No its not your wine, what Ronnie and Keith just achieved there was immense, i am just in awe, what are they doing saving there best till last, weaving like never before ?, i've never heard Wood play like this, its as though every time he goes out on stage its for the last time, as though time is almost out and he's going to do it one more time better than ever , he is a man possessed right now, i know he makes a mess of the odd solo but his interlocking playing with Keith is like a glorious never ending solo that lasts two hours.

Yes maumau this sort of guitar work in GS deserves 5 pages of in depth praise.

In fact i'm pleased Sasha is turned down so i can hear the guitars properly, it doesn't even need a vocal on it, its beautiful , full of emotion, intensity and depth, just love Ronnie and Keith's face and expression of concentration, some of Ronnie's playing is coming from deep within his soul, finding notes he's never felt before, oh man i just can't wait to see them Tuesday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 22:25 by keithsman.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: June 3, 2018 19:19

laertisflash
Sicilian, tempo was not slow. And the fact that you are done with the Stones concerts, as you would like different songs, doesn't make the gigs "average at best". These two are different issues. Obviously, your opinion/feelings as for the first is affecting what you claim as for the second one.

Every one is entitled on his/her opinion, of course. But how do you explain that there is not other negative opinion about the particular gig, on the forum? Among so many pages... I guess that the explanation is what I already wrote.

PS: The Stones are performing in packed stadiums (from 95% to 100%, only at Croke Park the percentage could be a bit lower than 90%) once again. Despite the fact that, on the current round, they have scheduled 8 stadium shows in a relatively small area, by high prices (which should be lower of course). That's the reality. So, don't count empty seats. It's pointless. I don't think your criticism could look justified, this way. Just my opinion.

And could add, 9x% of the audience wanna hear those 1x songs they play again and again. "They" are not "us". They are there for the "Greatest Hits". Most of them don't even love MR.
Face it, they play and deliver to the crowd that night. And that crowd will not follow the boys for the next one. Me Sunday Ramblin'.

TE
Oslo

Date: June 3, 2018 19:22

keithsman
maumau
I mean, any anal ytical 5 pages long discussion on Keith's playing based on this?

[www.youtube.com]

Wonder why

No its not your wine, what Ronnie and Keith just achieved there was immense, i am just in awe, what are they doing saving there best till last, weaving like never before ?, i've never heard Wood play like this, its as though every time he goes out on stage its for the last time, as though time is almost out and he's going to do it one more time better than ever , he is a man possessed right now, i know he makes a mess of the odd solo but his interlocking playing with Keith is like a glorious never ending solo that lasts two hours.

In fact i'm pleased Sasha is turned down so i can her it all properly, it doesn't even need a vocal on it, its beautiful , full of emotion and depth, just love Ronnie and Keith's face and expression of concentration, oh i just can't wait to see them Tuesday.

You are spot on, I don't know but the stones are playing better than ever in this current period.
I enjoyed Amsterdam last year, but playing wise, this was another notch up.

The other thing, how does Mick still do it, his movement and dancing is unreal for a guy his age.

Date: June 3, 2018 19:24

keithsman
maumau

[www.youtube.com]

Wonder why

In fact i'm pleased Sasha is turned down so i can her it all properly, it doesn't even need a vocal on it, its beautiful , full of emotion and depth, just love Ronnie and Keith's face and expression of concentration, oh i just can't wait to see them Tuesday.

Yes me too was happy to hear the music over her voice

have nothing against her but dont like particularly her style, miss lisa though I have become a bit tired in the years of the gs gimmick and choreography

so yeah this is something that strikes me too in the coventry clip, the fact that I realized there's no need no vocal in that coda

super

Date: June 3, 2018 19:40

On tour with Charlie Watts’ socks... Keeping it classic for Coventry - 02.06.18 #CharliesSocksRock #stonesnofilter

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 3, 2018 19:50

Yes. Best since Glastonbury. That´s my honest opinion.

Date: June 3, 2018 20:08

James Watkins

[www.instagram.com]

Date: June 3, 2018 20:16

maumau
keithsman
maumau

[www.youtube.com]

Wonder why

Yes me too was happy to hear the music over her voice

have nothing against her but dont like particularly her style, miss lisa though I have become a bit tired in the years of the gs gimmick and choreography

so yeah this is something that strikes me too in the coventry clip, the fact that I realized there's no need no vocal in that coda

super

I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with you two on this. Sasha is an extremely talented singer and the vocals she does in this spot are great. As BV says in his review, much more like the original Merry Clayton version snd much more down to earth than the Lisa versions in recent years where it just seemed like she was bored with the song. Don't get me wrong, Lisa was great but I want to hear Sasha.

Anyone who doesn't think sasha is a great singer look up some of her solo stuff.

But even if you're not a fan of Sasha why on earth would you want to ruin the climax of this song for the rest of the audience

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-03 20:17 by sjs12.

Date: June 3, 2018 20:16

bye bye johnny

James Watkins

[www.instagram.com]

great charlie!

grinning smiley

Date: June 3, 2018 20:20

maumau
bye bye johnny

James Watkins

[www.instagram.com]

great charlie!

grinning smiley

Looks like someone have him a magic cigarette for a birthday treat

Date: June 3, 2018 20:25

I dont wanna ruin nothing for no one, just praise Keith where usually we love to discuss about his scarves smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1643
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home