Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Just Play em Like On Ya Yas Boys
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2018 04:31

DandelionPowderman
Bjorn
What Ya-Ya´s riff in the middle of the song? Note for note?

Keith's 1969 guitar riff. Many here don't hear it on the newer version. I made a recording of it.

Ronnie throws in some 1975-76 licks as well! There are elements of that version more present in this Manchester performance than any previously - at least to my ears.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2018 07:36

Charlie can't play like he did in 1969. Nor can Keith. Mick sure as hell can't sing like he did in 1969.

Sure, they could up the pace a good bit with SFTD and play it "more like" GYYYO or LYL's versions - guitar driven - but that will never happen. It's the Casio version since 1989... perhaps if it was a bit faster Keith would be able to get through it quicker.

Date: June 6, 2018 11:01

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Bjorn
What Ya-Ya´s riff in the middle of the song? Note for note?

Keith's 1969 guitar riff. Many here don't hear it on the newer version. I made a recording of it.

Ronnie throws in some 1975-76 licks as well! There are elements of that version more present in this Manchester performance than any previously - at least to my ears.

The clip I posted was from Hamburg 2017. Haven't heard the Manchester-version.

Keith always plays this after his first solo, methinks.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2018 12:48

stonehearted
It would've been great if in '69 they could've played em like on Rolling Stones Now!

Too have a full, rich recorded live document of those first three albums would have been perfect.

Those early live recordings don't do their early performances justice.

But alas, by '69, they could no longer play like they did in '65.

grinning smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:10

Bungo
I was watching the Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park show the other day and it struck me how retarded a song like Sympathy For The Devil has become over the years compared to the amazing versions heard on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Why don't they just play it like that? 2 guitars, drums and bass. And the guitar lines they play in these current versions are just childish and un-musical compared to the perfect simple guitar lines on Ya Yas. I just don't get it. Do they not know how good they sounded on the '69 and '72 tours? Can they not remember those classic, simple guitar lines? I can't believe they're physically or mentally incapable of playing these songs properly. The guitar parts on Ya Yas are not that damn complicated. Any reasonably competent guitar player can replicate those versions, which are the best versions they've ever played "live". I just don't f@@king get it. I quit. I'm out.

Often wondered the same thing. It was just a total head scratcher why they never wanted to do Sympathy as they once did. The Love You Live version is a bit sloppier but still awesome. SFTD is perhaps THE song most damaged by the decision to try and duplicate studio arrangements onstage.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:16

GasLightStreet
Redhotcarpet
Doxa
GasLightStreet
It started, obviously, in 1989 with SFTD because Mick wanted them to sound like the records. Here's Keith with that as well:

Over the years, you develop a simplified road version of a song that you get used to. But this time, we thought, Let's go back and listen very carefully to the records to find what we were originally going for when we made it. All the subtleties and the half bar jumps. We thought we ought to do the songs up proud and have the things that were on the record. And once you go back and research what you did, you say, Well, the reason we did it like that is because we had these voices or because we had these horns. That's why we have the enlarged line-up. Tumbling Dice without the voices is kind of bare.

[timeisonourside.com]

Fortunately they completely changed SMU.

That was a kind of novel idea back in 1989 to reconstruct the originals on stage, but it turned out to be a blueprint for all the tours ever since, one cannot talk much about 'evolvement' since 1989, but more like how well they manage in that reconstruction policy.

Compare that to what Jagger says in regards to BRUSSELS AFFAIR (while promoting it) - he sounded amused how "fast" the versions were back then. That makes an impression Mick is no any way related to the way band sounded back then. There is no absolutely way to go back...

- Doxa

A calculated recreation without the the creativity.

It was novel in 1989. It was fresh. They rode the wave of new interest and presented a fantastic greatest hits show with new songs interspersed. Hell, the cowbell had 3 different notes from the sample they did for HTW.

Fortunately the MIDI keyboard sampling hell between 2000 Light Years and SFTD died after the 1989/90 tours. But the 1989 SFTD lives on, unfortunately.

A lot of things were novel in 1989, but lost their magic when repeated ad infinitum:
The piano solo in HTW, the Sympathy loop, etc.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:46

The Sicilian
Thankfully, when you see a Paul McCartney concert, the songs sound much like the original versions.

Paul can pick and choose who he want for his backing band. Younger musicans who can copy an play anything and make it (almost) sound like the Beatles or Wings. Stones are a band and stuck with the band members of 70+.
I prefer this veraion of Rolling Stones to Mick performing with youngsters who are trying to recreate the sound of 60/70s Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:08

GeorgV
The Sicilian
Thankfully, when you see a Paul McCartney concert, the songs sound much like the original versions.

Paul can pick and choose who he want for his backing band. Younger musicans who can copy an play anything and make it (almost) sound like the Beatles or Wings. Stones are a band and stuck with the band members of 70+.
I prefer this veraion of Rolling Stones to Mick performing with youngsters who are trying to recreate the sound of 60/70s Stones.

Yes, and not sure why it's considered a positive that Paul and his younger band can replicate studio versions of all the songs he plays. That's one of the main reasons I find his live concerts a bit boring, and had the same feeling when I saw an Eagles show about 10 years ago, and the Cars back in the '80's. What's the point in seeing a band playing near exact replicas when you can sit at home and listen to the albums? Sure it's fun to be surrounded by thousands of people in a party like atmosphere, but other than that I sort of want a band to experiment and/or veer away a bit from the studio standards...playing live in the moment - warts and all.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:34

GeorgV
The Sicilian

Paul's had the same band for close to 17 years. Although the drummer is in his mid-40s, the others are 63, 62 and 59...younger than Paul, of course, but hardly "youngsters." The misconception has come up here before that his band is full of young hotshots in their 20s or 30s.

Date: July 13, 2018 21:38

Bungo
I was watching the Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park show the other day and it struck me how retarded a song like Sympathy For The Devil has become over the years compared to the amazing versions heard on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Why don't they just play it like that? 2 guitars, drums and bass. And the guitar lines they play in these current versions are just childish and un-musical compared to the perfect simple guitar lines on Ya Yas. I just don't get it. Do they not know how good they sounded on the '69 and '72 tours? Can they not remember those classic, simple guitar lines? I can't believe they're physically or mentally incapable of playing these songs properly. The guitar parts on Ya Yas are not that damn complicated. Any reasonably competent guitar player can replicate those versions, which are the best versions they've ever played "live". I just don't f@@king get it. I quit. I'm out.

Do you expect Rod Laver to play tennis these days like he did in 1969, when he won four GS tournaments?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 22:18

Jah Paul
GeorgV
The Sicilian

Paul's had the same band for close to 17 years. Although the drummer is in his mid-40s, the others are 63, 62 and 59...younger than Paul, of course, but hardly "youngsters." The misconception has come up here before that his band is full of young hotshots in their 20s or 30s.
I see what you're saying. They're OLDER, sure, but still musicians who were hired for their virtuosity, consummate professionalism and ability to play just about anything as Paul dictates.

He didn't have to go through the '60s and '70s with those guys and come out grizzled and damaged the way the Stones did.

It's a different situation even though they're older.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: July 13, 2018 22:33

This argument that the band is too old to play these songs like on Ya Ya's is ridiculous. Unless they're irreparably brain damaged they could easily replicate these versions. Any reasonably competent guitar band could. It's apparent that they simply choose not to play them like that any more and prefer something closer to the recorded versions, except for the interminably over-extended lengths of some of these songs nowadays. If they want to go this route then play them the same length then and they could squeeze in 3 or for more songs in the set.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home