Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Coventry song vote
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 1, 2018 13:40

lars sounds cheap here but it is always fun out there under the stage.. jump! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 1, 2018 13:42

maumau
lars sounds cheap here but it is always fun out there under the stage.. jump! smiling bouncing smiley

problem is that they Stones never understood that it ain't no good to perform that song as a pop song/anthem

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 1, 2018 13:43

hockenheim95
Coventry song vote on Twitter:

[twitter.com]

- Like a Rolling Stone
- Heartbreaker
- Dancing with Mr. D.
- She's so Cold

Could we have all 4?

I think as listed above is the right order for me :-)

Date: June 1, 2018 13:47

slewan
maumau

problem is that they Stones never understood that it ain't no good to perform that song as a pop song/anthem

it seems that this is exactly what did with the song in 1995, turned it into an arena anthem to jump along with and it worked

anyway I voted for Mr.D >grinning smiley<

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 1, 2018 13:49

Juniorjackflash
Interestingly they have not put it on the stones app. Just Facebook and Twitter. Probably because the app skews them to the more hardcore stones fan choice (rocks off won on the app alone last time) but the other two platforms just pull out the most ‘famous’ of the 4 songs. So all they have to do is put a well know one they want to play alongside 3 ‘lesser’ known songs (to the casual fan at least) and they will be able to tailor what the choice will be.

Either way I am happy enough to see LARS tomorrow.

What would be epic would be if they changed the opener again and came out to Honky Tonk as they did in 1995/6. Long shot and unlikely but would be fantastic. Failing that I’m hoping for Street Fighting Man but if I was a betting man I would guess it would come full circle of the 4 different openers and come back to sympathy

Good observation.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 1, 2018 14:11

maumau
slewan
maumau

it seems that this is exactly what did with the song in 1995, turned it into an arena anthem to jump along with and it worked

yeah, mix vintage scotch with coca cola and it will work for a hell lot of (tasteless) people – still it's a sin

Date: June 1, 2018 14:19

slewan
maumau
slewan
maumau

yeah, mix vintage scotch with coca cola and it will work for a hell lot of (tasteless) people – still it's a sin

grinning smiley

Date: June 1, 2018 14:27

misterrespectable
LARS will go down well with the casuals. Most people, outside the IORR crew, won't know the others. Dancing with Mr D is a great song, loved it in Paris last year, but it won't engage a stadium like LARS will. Hoping for Ruby Tuesday's first appearance of the tour!

How can it be that most people outside of IORR crew won't know these songs when "Goats Head Soup" sold roughly 4 MILLION copies ????

Number 1 album in at least 8 countries ..... number two album in a couple of other countries.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 1, 2018 14:31

Winning Ugly VXII
misterrespectable
LARS will go down well with the casuals. Most people, outside the IORR crew, won't know the others. Dancing with Mr D is a great song, loved it in Paris last year, but it won't engage a stadium like LARS will. Hoping for Ruby Tuesday's first appearance of the tour!

How can it be that most people outside of IORR crew won't know these songs when "Goats Head Soup" sold roughly 4 MILLION copies ????

Number 1 album in at least 8 countries ..... number two album in a couple of other countries.

Most people outside IORR camp don't remember 1973. They're either too young or too old. Things from this era has got to be reminded to them. And the only song from GHS that is frequent reminded on compilations and live is Angie.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 1, 2018 14:37

Heartbreaker every time.

Date: June 1, 2018 15:12

Winning Ugly VXII
misterrespectable

I am going with a group of 20 people, only one of who (in addition to me) has GHS. The others will expect to hear what they know and will accept the Keith songs as a necessity, but want to hear the hits. I'd like loads of others to be played, Play With Fire, Out of Time, Sway, Bitch, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Memory Motel for example. I'm not going to get them, nor many others. However I don't complain because I would rather have the Stones do what they do than nothing at all. DWMD was fine in Paris but a lot of people took a beer break when it was played. A great song, as is Heartbreaker, but not one for the masses. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 15:13 by misterrespectable.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 1, 2018 16:10

I am not voting until they give us the Southampton song choice..the B@*#@#ds spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 1, 2018 16:13

That's the problem. The people who bought these albums are not the same people going to these shows.

If you're one of the 4 MILLION who bought the album,then you know the songs.

The reason that the people who bought these albums are (for the most part) NOT the same people going to these shows?? Something to think about.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 1, 2018 16:49

That's not fair. A more fair song vote list would be:

"Like A Rolling Stone"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"A Day In The Life"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"

- Doxa

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 1, 2018 17:28

The way they played "She's So cold" in 2017, this vote should be a no-brainer...

Even if they play it hàlf as good as last year, you'd still be in for a treat! smoking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 1, 2018 17:29

I went Heartbreaker, though Like A Rolling Stone is a very close second for me.

Date: June 1, 2018 17:38

Doxa
That's not fair. A more fair song vote list would be:

"Like A Rolling Stone"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"A Day In The Life"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"

- Doxa

Lol

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 1, 2018 17:51

And the last Rolling Stones hit is Start me up, 1981.

misterrespectable
Winning Ugly VXII
misterrespectable

I am going with a group of 20 people, only one of who (in addition to me) has GHS. The others will expect to hear what they know and will accept the Keith songs as a necessity, but want to hear the hits. I'd like loads of others to be played, Play With Fire, Out of Time, Sway, Bitch, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Memory Motel for example. I'm not going to get them, nor many others. However I don't complain because I would rather have the Stones do what they do than nothing at all. DWMD was fine in Paris but a lot of people took a beer break when it was played. A great song, as is Heartbreaker, but not one for the masses. winking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 1, 2018 17:57

powerage78
And the last Rolling Stones hit is Start me up, 1981.

misterrespectable
Winning Ugly VXII
misterrespectable

I am in the same position as you, and agree with what you say.

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: June 1, 2018 18:54

really want Star Star to be an option for Manchester...Then again if it gets outvoted for something like Ruby Tuesday I'll be even more upset. Democracy never works with these things

Date: June 1, 2018 18:55

franzk
Winning Ugly VXII

Most people outside IORR camp don't remember 1973. They're either too young or too old. Things from this era has got to be reminded to them. And the only song from GHS that is frequent reminded on compilations and live is Angie.

I have noticed that GOATS HEAD SOUP has a rather bad reputation among 'casual fans' (if they know the album at all). It is not just because of rock critics and historians have generally dumped it as the beginning of their artistic downhill (which of course it did, after the Big Four, which wouldn't have...), and it being the album which started to make the Stones to look irrelevant and as 'old farts' at the time (but still popular, of course), but I think more because of it actually sounds like. Everybody knows and loves "Angie" for sure, but altogether the album doesn't offer that kind of music people expect from the Stones. It's too moody and obscure, and I think getting through the first three songs - "Mr D.", "100 Years Ago, "Coming Down Again" - starts to be too much asked from a casual listener. It really doesn't sound anything like LET IT BLEED, or EXILE or STICKY FINGERS or SOME GIRLS. For example, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL is much mure 'easy-listenable'. Probably "Heartbreaker" and "@#$%&" stem out a bit publicwise. Though I have also noticed, when playing some individual tracks - such as "Winter" - people are usually positively surprised - "Is that really the Stones going that moody, fine-nuanced and deep? Sounds wonderful".

Anyway, it is interesting that the Stones have played such almost forgotten (by a bigger public) numbers as "Mr. D" and "Silver Train" during the last couple of years. In addition to more frequently played "Angie", "Heartbreaker" and "@#$%&". Add there that they have used some of its 'moody' numbers (such as "Hide Your Love" and "Winter", probably "Coming Down Again" and "100 Years Ago" as well) as soundtrack in their documentaries during the recent (10+) years. In those contexts they usually work very well as laying out a certain feel. Seemingly they haven't forgotten the album.

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 19:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 1, 2018 19:01

Heartbreaker

Date: June 1, 2018 19:04

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-01 19:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: gagiwh ()
Date: June 1, 2018 23:25

I'm so hot for her, I'm so hot for her
I'm so hot for her and she's so cold

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.rs]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 2, 2018 00:24

Mr. D 14% yawning smiley(

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 2, 2018 01:10

Hopefully Mr D wins.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 2, 2018 01:22

Doxa
franzk
Winning Ugly VXII

I have noticed that GOATS HEAD SOUP has a rather bad reputation among 'casual fans' (if they know the album at all). It is not just because of rock critics and historians have generally dumped it as the beginning of their artistic downhill (which of course it did, after the Big Four, which wouldn't have...), and it being the album which started to make the Stones to look irrelevant and as 'old farts' at the time (but still popular, of course), but I think more because of it actually sounds like. Everybody knows and loves "Angie" for sure, but altogether the album doesn't offer that kind of music people expect from the Stones. It's too moody and obscure, and I think getting through the first three songs - "Mr D.", "100 Years Ago, "Coming Down Again" - starts to be too much asked from a casual listener. It really doesn't sound anything like LET IT BLEED, or EXILE or STICKY FINGERS or SOME GIRLS. For example, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL is much mure 'easy-listenable'. Probably "Heartbreaker" and "@#$%&" stem out a bit publicwise. Though I have also noticed, when playing some individual tracks - such as "Winter" - people are usually positively surprised - "Is that really the Stones going that moody, fine-nuanced and deep? Sounds wonderful".

Anyway, it is interesting that the Stones have played such almost forgotten (by a bigger public) numbers as "Mr. D" and "Silver Train" during the last couple of years. In addition to more frequently played "Angie", "Heartbreaker" and "@#$%&". Add there that they have used some of its 'moody' numbers (such as "Hide Your Love" and "Winter", probably "Coming Down Again" and "100 Years Ago" as well) as soundtrack in their documentaries during the recent (10+) years. In those contexts they usually work very well as laying out a certain feel. Seemingly they haven't forgotten the album.

- Doxa

*Interesting views/ expression. I’m not a casual fan, and I don’t like GHS.
I was shocked to see some recent Mick quote ‘I worked so hard on GHS/ gave it a lot of energy’ or something like that.
To me, Jimmy Miller left carving evil signs into the wood console sums it up.
Too depressing, IDK, but I never liked it except ‘Winter’
Don’t hammer me, don’t like ‘Angie’ either.
However, ‘Dancing With Mr. D’ LIVE is some dirty funky fun thumbs up
I voted for ‘Heartbreaker’ then ‘Dancing Mr. D’

Oh and I hate to be cynical but GHS promo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-02 01:23 by 35love.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home