Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Telecasters on No Filter 2018 tour
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 30, 2018 13:54

Keith’s use of Telecasters on the 2018 tour.

I’m taking the debate out of the Southampton live concert thread to make a new general thread on this topic.

The "new" white and turquoise (with no name as far as I know?) have regularly been used for Street Fighting Man, Jumpin’ Jack Flash (except London #2) and Tumbling Dice in Dublin.

Micawber has been regularly used for Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Before They Make Me Run + Wild Horses and Let’s Spend the Night Together.

Malcolm was used on JJ Flash in London (#1)

Sonny has been used on YCAGWYW, Tumbling Dice in London (#1 & 2) and Southampton + Happy.

I don’t think Gloria and George have been used.

This is Micawber (a 1953 Tele), easy to recognize with the missing black dot on the 17th fret and that big scratch on the upper bout.

Photo credit: blue lena

This Malcolm (a 1954 Tele), recognizable with the dark wood lines on the guitar body.

Photo credit: Brian Rasic

And this is Sonny (a 1966 Tele)

Photo credit: Brian Rasic

I’m sure others know more about these guitars then I do, so please correct me if I’m wrong!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 00:49 by The Worst..

Re: Keith's Telecasters on No Filter 2018 tour
Date: May 30, 2018 14:13

I miss his black Fender (i think) he used on JJF in 2006. That was a mean sounding monster.

Date: May 30, 2018 14:20

PaintMonkeyManBlack
I miss his black Fender (i think) he used on JJF in 2006. That was a mean sounding monster.

The very same custom he used (in standard tuning) on the 81/82-tours.

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: May 30, 2018 14:24

DandelionPowderman
PaintMonkeyManBlack

The very same custom he used (in standard tuning) on the 81/82-tours.

We're talking about the one with humbuckers?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 30, 2018 14:27

Sonny is from 1967. Changing his 1975 Tele Custom to a 5-string is like uttering Jehova! during the times of Bvian…………..grinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 30, 2018 17:34

The Worst.

The "new" white and turquoise (with no name as far as I know?) have regularly been used for Street Fighting Man, Jumpin’ Jack Flash (except London #2) and Tumbling Dice in Dublin.

That's a 1967 Lake Placid Blue Tele.

Mathijs

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 30, 2018 17:59

You know why this name "Malcolm" ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:44

The "new one" is a 1967 tele, lake placid blue.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:35

all beat up looking. amazing sound anyways

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 30, 2018 23:36

I think my guitar heroe list his chops the day he changed radically the black custom 72 to opem tunning, that Gibson pick up selector in the place of a tone pot.
The weapon that won so many battles from 1972 to 1982 was destroyed in 2005 for the ABB Tour.
Anyway it sounded glorious during the JJF opening in SOL FILM

Date: May 30, 2018 23:47

Such an iconic rock guitar......destroyed

Date: May 30, 2018 23:57

KeithNacho
I think my guitar heroe list his chops the day he changed radically the black custom 72 to opem tunning, that Gibson pick up selector in the place of a tone pot.
The weapon that won so many battles from 1972 to 1982 was destroyed in 2005 for the ABB Tour.
Anyway it sounded glorious during the JJF opening in SOL FILM

The black custom he used for ABB tour is a 75 and It's the same guitar that is on display at exhibitionism. The switch was removed because Keith plays high up on the neck. Remember in 81-82 he played these guitars in standard tuning with 6 strings, for the ABB tour and also with Winos in the early 90s he played it with Open G tuning and five strings. Also Keith have had a few black customs, no one knows how many between 75-82, maybe Mathijs can tell you more about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-30 23:58 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: May 31, 2018 00:01

Telecasters rule r&r. The lost link between Gibson and Fender

Date: May 31, 2018 00:51

BTW... What happened to "George" that was frequently used on the Licks tour?
Has he used it on stage since 2002/03?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 31, 2018 08:36

Micawber was missing by the end of last year's tour. I think it had gone before Paris. I did ask the question here, but got no answer as to why. I wondered if it had got too fragile as I remember Keith (I think) mentioning that it was only used for HTW nowadays . It missing from that song was very noticeable. I think he used Malcolm instead which gave a brighter sound and a "shrill" solo.
It's back with a vengeance on this tour I see ! He's used it on lots of numbers, Maybe even BS in Dublin ?

SC UK

Date: May 31, 2018 08:44

straycatuk
Micawber was missing by the end of last year's tour. I think it had gone before Paris. I did ask the question here, but got no answer as to why. I wondered if it had got too fragile as I remember Keith (I think) mentioning that it was only used for HTW nowadays . It missing from that song was very noticeable. I think he used Malcolm instead which gave a brighter sound and a "shrill" solo.
It's back with a vengeance on this tour I see ! He's used it on lots of numbers, Maybe even BS in Dublin ?

SC UK

Which one did he play on LSTNT IN Paris last year?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2018 09:23

straycatuk

SC UK

I don't know the answer but any guitar of that age in regular use will from time to time require repairs and servicing that need something more than a quick fettle on the road.
Maybe Micawber needed some "hospital" treatment last year ?

I must admit that I like the slightly softer and sweeter sound of Micawber for most purposes.
Malcolm has a louder, more aggressive "in yer face " sound.

[Probably in part due to the differing pickup specs...and I could well be wrong but I'd bet it's also heavier]

Date: May 31, 2018 09:34

Dandelion: He used one with a single coil pick up, so it might have been George pictured above. It should be easy to verify if someone has a good photo of Keith on LSTNT in Paris, because "George" is carved in on the guitar (the markings next to the bridge) and because of that damage on the lower bout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 09:35 by The Worst..

Date: May 31, 2018 10:05

Thanks, Worst!

Date: May 31, 2018 13:31

He may have used George on HTW last year as I'm sure it had a single neck pick up ?

sc uk

Date: May 31, 2018 15:19

Straycat, I had a closer look at youtube videos from Paris last year - and it seems evident that George was indeed the guitar used on HTW. If you pause this video at 2.21-2.22, you can celarly see the marks/damage on the lower bout.
I'm sure this must have been the same guitar he also used on LSTNT at Paris#1.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 31, 2018 19:12

Thanks for the replies. It's becoming an obsession..can't beat the sound of Macawber IMO.

SC UK

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 1, 2018 11:10

Spud

I must admit that I like the slightly softer and sweeter sound of Micawber for most purposes.
Malcolm has a louder, more aggressive "in yer face " sound.

[Probably in part due to the differing pickup specs...and I could well be wrong but I'd bet it's also heavier]

Its exactly the other way around -Micawber has a distinct loud and aggressive in-you-face sound. It really jumps right out of the mix. Malcolm has a more round and sweeter sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: June 2, 2018 11:22

Here they all are, taken during the 1st London show:

For more pictures, check out the album section on my FB page Love You Live:
[www.facebook.com]

Hendrik Mulder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-02 11:27 by Hendrik.

Date: June 2, 2018 14:00

The Worst.
BTW... What happened to "George" that was frequently used on the Licks tour?
Has he used it on stage since 2002/03?

Keith have used "George" every tour since Licks Tour.

He used it for HTW several times during last years tour and for example BS and SMU London 2.

Posted by: MickDaseway ()
Date: June 2, 2018 14:07

Micawber in London - Tuesday May 22, 2018
Micawber lives

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-02 14:09 by MickDaseway.

Date: June 2, 2018 14:21

Micawber has been "away" during very few shows last couple of years and then it has mainly been replaced by George or Malcolm some times. They like to try diferent guitars out at diferent times. But obviously Micawber is very much "worn out" these days and because of that used less.And these days they also got "the new one" since Ole tour, the lake placid blue 1967 tele.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home