Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 18 of 21
Re: Southampton UK 29-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 30, 2018 20:48

It was about a 7 on the scarf scale SMU.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: May 30, 2018 20:49

One odd thing re the show not being quite sold out (there were a few empty seats near us).

I was curious to see which seats were being sold in which price category, so the day before the show I tried to book a few (without completing) to see what came up. A couple of categories were already marked as sold out, but there appeared to be availability on most. However, everything I tried came up as 'nothing available' both on AXS and Ticketmaster.

So it looks as though they stopped selling on Monday evening for some reason. I assumed that they must be sold out, and thought no more of it, but it might have added some fuel to the cancellation rumours!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:05

vertigojoe
It was about a 7 on the scarf scale SMU.

Yes I would agree with that. The Hyde Park shows were about a 9 or a 10 on the Scarf scale.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:13

Hairball
Wild Slivovitz
mikehat
Hairball
maumau
This is a different video of SMU to discuss the quality of the intro

[youtu.be]

Listened to the beginning which is obviously a train wreck, and once Keith derails it there's not much chance in saving it -sounds like Charlie fell over his drum set. Even Mick seems confused, and not until his first "Start Me Up" does the tune become recognizable. As for the rest of the tune, didn't listen as it's never been a favorite of mine, but I assume it sounded OK for those who were there?

It was just a flubbed chord in the intro.
Once the rest of the band kicked in it was very obvious what the song was and it sounded fine. No big deal.

Well, yes, but still it's a downer. It's the very first chord of the gig and in the most anticipated moment of it (i.e. the band coming on stage).

Anyway once it's done there's not much choice but to carry on with the song and try to save it anyhow.

I always think of casual fans who are in attendance at shows and/or those who are seeing them for the first time..."The Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band"...and this is the first impression they get.
By the time the show's over I'm sure they can appreciate what the fuss is all about, but some of today's shows are a bit hit and miss from one song to the next.

I don't think you need to worry about casual fans. I have spoken/texted with 7 people in the past week who have never been to a Stones gig before and went to one or other of the London shows - all of them were blown away by the experience, had a great time and in one case is already trying to get tickets for another. Not one complaint. Ok it's a small sample but more positive than on here sometimes.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:19

Silver Dagger
Under My Thumb from Southampton May 29 2018

Message blank on my end and I'm anxious to revisit as it had some new droll PC lyric chanes.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:24

Glam Descendant
Silver Dagger
Under My Thumb from Southampton May 29 2018

Message blank on my end and I'm anxious to revisit as it had some new droll PC lyric chanes.

Click here: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 30, 2018 21:25

harlem shuffle
Keith is not able to play snymore,let,s face it.

Yeah, let's face it.

Oh, wait! Why are we here again - in the show thread?

Maybe he can play a little after all...

Date: May 30, 2018 21:35

I have an observation about the show. Love the stage and I love all the visuals etc. But when the show starts, all the lights on the stage go out - i.e. When the Stones come on the stage is totally bare and bland and some of the hype and excitement momentarily drops. It's fine once then and come out and start playing but I think it would be cool if they maintained the drama a bit more..

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:46

mikehat
harlem shuffle
Keith is not able to play snymore,let,s face it.

You're not able to spell anymore but you still give it a damn good go. winking smiley
thumbs up

Rolling Stones - Southampton UK 29-May-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 30, 2018 21:55

On tour with Charlie Watts’ socks. 29.05.18 Southampton - Saints red.. #CharliesSocksRock #StonesNoFilter

[twitter.com]

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:11

grzegorz67
brownsugar86
When was the last time they played Sweet Virgina ?

Stockholm last year.

Cheers

Posted by: AshtrayGirl ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:20

brownsugar86
grzegorz67
brownsugar86

Stockholm last year.

Cheers

I was there. Brilliant gig but people way too pushy at the front of Pit(A) which I didn't experience in Amsterdam having almost the same spot but on Keith side.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:27

Peanut gallery comment about perceived ‘space’
Looked to me pretty jammed up standing, people packed in very tightly,
trying to get as close as possible,
close quarters of the human crowd kind.
Maybe that’s why some space at the back.

BTW, the seated folks in England sure are reserved LOL!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:43

AshtrayGirl
brownsugar86
grzegorz67
brownsugar86

Stockholm last year.

Cheers

I was there. Brilliant gig but people way too pushy at the front of Pit(A) which I didn't experience in Amsterdam having almost the same spot but on Keith side.

Weird. I was in that pit as well. (Pretty much standing next to Ronnies wife and ex-wife.) Loads and loads of space on that pit.

Posted by: AshtrayGirl ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:51

I saw Ronnies wife for a second but I was in the corner with people from Ukraine. They were very pushy at the beginning. Obviously it was OK later but I was squeezed for a while. I'm very curious about the crowd in Edinburgh.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 30, 2018 22:59

Silver Dagger
drwatts
Silver Dagger
Sweet Virginia from last night.

video: [youtu.be]
Best number of the tour so far! Thanks. Wish we could see Keef tho...

I was in Pit A this time so Keith was out of view quite a bit.

Very good; Ronnie's guitar playing is excellent.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 30, 2018 23:03

BowieStone
AshtrayGirl
brownsugar86
grzegorz67
brownsugar86

Stockholm last year.

Cheers

Weird. I was in that pit as well. (Pretty much standing next to Ronnies wife and ex-wife.) Loads and loads of space on that pit.

So they are friendly, Jo and Sally? Hope so, but I don’t know.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 31, 2018 00:01

AshtrayGirl
I saw Ronnies wife for a second but I was in the corner with people from Ukraine. They were very pushy at the beginning. Obviously it was OK later but I was
squeezed for a while. I'm very curious about the crowd in Edinburgh.
Well if it's anything like last time it will make Southampton look like a Teddy Bears picnic.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2018 00:47

keithsman
I just think the tempo of the songs is too slow on SMU and BS and a few others, i put that down to Charlie, no big deal, just my opinion.
they need a new drummer was tongue in cheek, just being flippant, not serious, hadn't worked out the consequences of my words down to the last detail, didn't realize a week later my words were going to still be scrutinized, but some of you take everything seriously on here.
Dean Goodman said exactly the same thing, i doubt he meant it either.
Yes i know Keith does the intros slow sometimes, but that's not intending the songs to be played slow throughout, its just Keith having fun with it, mixing it up a little, sometimes i don't think you really get Rock And Roll, its about the neck down, its about having a few beers and dancing and letting your hair down, its not to be over analyzed because you loose something when you do that, the Stones themselves probably forget the bum notes in 5 minutes, they are to busy making incredible sounds on the next song to care

When you say Rock and Roll is not to be over analyzed, well isn't that what we all do here? I mean, maybe we could talk about Mozart instead, or the latest hit movie, or maybe the volcanic eruptions in Hawaii (fascinating!), or a number of different things, but that would all be off topic. Just so happens the site is dedicated to the Stones and rock and roll, so that's what we discuss...even down to the minutiae of Keith hitting a few bum notes (sometime glaring), or Charlie hitting a cymbal instead of a snare (not often), or the possibility of Mick developing laryngitis with some even speculating the show might be cancelled! Etc., etc., etc., etc.......
Bottom line, it's only rock and roll and we like to discuss it, and I've never known you to be shy of voicing your opinions on any member of the band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 01:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2018 00:56

Sounds like a completely different person who wrote this than the previous post...maybe it's Keithsmans loony twin brother?

keithsman
Hairball you remind me of a troll with a high IQ, i'm not entirely convinced you like this band at all but you do a good job of pretending you do.

And sorry again Mick doesn't have laryngitis, it did look like Mick had laryngitis during London 2, pardon me for jumping to conclusions, plus last night people witnessed him blowing out mucus from his nose so who knows, he might have had the start of inflammation and infection and got excellent treatment over the previous 4 days.
No one knows for sure but we talk on here and sometimes we get it wrong and sometimes we get it right.
@#$%& it i'm bailing out, what a wind up who needs this shit.

Lol...yeah I've seen them 54 times since 1981 just so I can pretend to like them. thumbs up
Sounds like you can dish it out, but are unable to accept it when you get called out for having double standards, and then resort to the personal attacks ...typical.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 31, 2018 02:07

UMT sounded really good in that video.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 31, 2018 02:35

It sounded good in the venue too but I'm firmly of the opinion it shouldn't be performed if he's gonna change the words as much as he did at St Mary's.
Either do it as it was written or consign it the dustbin of different times but don't try to fit it into some PC mindset that really doesn't suit.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: May 31, 2018 04:12

vertigojoe
It sounded good in the venue too but I'm firmly of the opinion it shouldn't be performed if he's gonna change the words as much as he did at St Mary's.
Either do it as it was written or consign it the dustbin of different times but don't try to fit it into some PC mindset that really doesn't suit.

Well, quite. Would Tina Turner or Kim Carnes change the words of their versions if they sang it now?

Date: May 31, 2018 10:06

vertigojoe

Yeah I tend to agree. The song sounds good and the band are playing it well but the lyrics just don't sound right or make any sense....e.g. "Under my thumb is a charming girl who once had me down, under my thumb is a sweetheart who once kicked me around" just sounds bizarre.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: May 31, 2018 10:08

I am just back home from Southampton.

It was a great show. They were in top form. Really.

I have loved Sweet Virginia and Keith’s set. Keith was brilliant and he made a great solo on HTW (usually, this solo is ´weird’).

One regret, Mick seemed to have problems with his voice after Paint It Black. It was ok because he managed the situation very well, but I feel he tried to save his voice. Or maybe it was just a problem in the mix. We cannot hear Sasha very well in GS also.

Appart from this, they gave a very impressive and nice show. As usual, they did their best and they still rock !! How lucky we are !!

Date: May 31, 2018 10:26

john lomax
vertigojoe

Yeah I tend to agree. The song sounds good and the band are playing it well but the lyrics just don't sound right or make any sense....e.g. "Under my thumb is a charming girl who once had me down, under my thumb is a sweetheart who once kicked me around" just sounds bizarre.

Did he do the ..."peel her off...-verse" this time?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 31, 2018 10:40

john lomax
vertigojoe

Agreed. I don't like the lyrics of UMT, wbich is a shame when the music's so good, but if you're going to sing it, sing it properly.

That was one sweet Sweet Virginia. Waiting now for someone to post Keith's set and let me hear the rest of what I missed when the one and only decent live feed ended mid-Worst.

Date: May 31, 2018 11:01

Green Lady
john lomax
vertigojoe

Agreed. I don't like the lyrics of UMT, wbich is a shame when the music's so good, but if you're going to sing it, sing it properly.

That was one sweet Sweet Virginia. Waiting now for someone to post Keith's set and let me hear the rest of what I missed when the one and only decent live feed ended mid-Worst.

On the stream I noticed that Keith forgot the «take all the pain, it's yours anyway - get out, kid-verse» on The Worst (he just played his guitar instead), but he came nicely in with Bernard after that. Unfortunately, the stream died after that.

Up till then it was a very good version, despite the little hick up smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-31 11:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 31, 2018 11:44

RiffKichards

I have loved Sweet Virginia and Keith’s set. Keith was brilliant and he made a great solo on HTW (usually, this solo is ´weird’).

One regret, Mick seemed to have problems with his voice after Paint It Black. It was ok because he managed the situation very well, but I feel he tried to save his voice. Or maybe it was just a problem in the mix. We cannot hear Sasha very well in GS also.

Apart from this, they gave a very impressive and nice show. As usual, they did their best and they still rock !! How lucky we are !!

I thought Sasha was pretty much inaudible on her solo in GS. It was strange because you could see her screaming away into the microphone but you just couldn't hear her. Such a shame really as this is meant to be a climatic moment. Someone should tell the sound engineer that she is doing more than backing vocals on this bit!

Other than that I thought the sound was spot on. Crystal clear and loud from GA. You could even hear Keith singing clearly, which makes a change. (I think maybe he is also singing into the microphone more.) Friends who lived 3 miles away could hear the gig clearly.

Date: May 31, 2018 11:56

sjs12
RiffKichards

Apart from this, they gave a very impressive and nice show. As usual, they did their best and they still rock !! How lucky we are !!

I thought Sasha was pretty much inaudible on her solo in GS. It was strange because you could see her screaming away into the microphone but you just couldn't hear her. Such a shame really as this is meant to be a climatic moment. Someone should tell the sound engineer that she is doing more than backing vocals on this bit!

Other than that I thought the sound was spot on. Crystal clear and loud from GA. You could even hear Keith singing clearly, which makes a change. (I think maybe he is also singing into the microphone more.) Friends who lived 3 miles away could hear the gig clearly.

It was the same on London #1..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 18 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home