Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: camera for concert photography
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 29, 2018 18:58

roller99
Canon SX60, great optical zoom.

that's what i have too.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: May 30, 2018 06:49

Nice example shot. I def plan to use manual mode so I can learn as I shoot. I ended up going with Panisonic Lumix DMC-ZS 100 due to the fact that I should be able to get it into all venues with out fuss and that it has a decent zoom for a point and shoot. Going to start doing some local shows to get some practice in before I hit the bigger shows this summer. I inherited about 7 various M series (from 2s-9s), but given they are all analog it isn't really feasible for concert photos. I do plan on breaking them out at some point once I get up to speed on using them. Thanks again for the info and advice. I'll post some shots if I take anything worthwhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-30 06:52 by forsure.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 30, 2018 11:27

Good choice, probably the best concert camera in terms of features/size/price ratio you can get at this time thanks to it's 1" sensor, 10x zoom and excellent microphones. I've read on Amazon it could have some reliability issues though with the zoom suddenly going dead. My old TZ-7 was also prone to getting dust on its sensor.

This recent Clapton concert was filmed with the ZS-100/TZ-100 and it's absolutely stunning : [www.youtube.com]

I was at a show last night and a girl in front of me in the mosh pit kept snapping away with a compact Sony Alpha (A5100 ?) with an even larger sensor and interchangeable lens. Still compact but that might get disallowed in some venues so not worth sweating it out each time you go to a show !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-30 12:02 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: May 31, 2018 00:16

Another example from last night's show:

Shot with Sony DSC-WX500
Aperture: 6.3
Shutter speed: 1/3200
ISO: 800
Auto white balance

Make sure you know and understand your camera and as always: enjoy the show!

Hendrik Mulder

Date: May 31, 2018 18:53

Wow that's an EV of 14, i.e. "Full Sunlight" equivalent ! Gotta love the Stones for their powerful equipment ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 5, 2018 01:41

Pretty happy with this one from Marseille with my HX90V.

Focal : 672mm equivalent
ISO : 800
Aperture : 6.3
Shutter : 1/320

--------------

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 5, 2018 14:05

^^^

Gotdablouse, that photo is stunning - truly a portrait. IMO, it surpasses most of the pro studio shots I've seen of Keith in recent years. Well done!! thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: July 5, 2018 14:46

Thanks, yes it came it pretty good and the "look" is interesting, he was looking at Mick of course ;-) It was during MR to get his "cues", that moment is always great as Mick as at the end of the "B stage" and they still manage to "communicate", these guys are great together ! As a side note, thanks to the picture I noticed that Keith's eyes weren't as "glazed" as in 2012 at the Trabendo where he had really come close to us during JJF, that was pretty scary !

Oh and since we're talking MR, that's Mick showing that harp who's boss :

--------------

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 5, 2018 18:13

Hendrik, you also had a hx90V if I remeber well, what made you switch to the WX500 ?

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: July 5, 2018 20:19

Using a Sony DSC-HX80, settings
ƒ/6.3
1/250
38.47 mm
ISO 800

sjouke

[/URL][/img]

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 5, 2018 20:46

Nice photos. I was wondering if there's a digital camera that produces less noisy pics using ISO800 (in a concert setting). All the pics posted here are a bit noisy for my liking.

Date: July 6, 2018 11:55

The only way to hope to achieve that is to get a camera with a 1" sensor. Sony RX100 series but until the latest VI version (10x) they had very little reach, Panasonic TZ100 (10x zoom) or TZ200 (20x zoom).

--------------

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 6, 2018 21:05

About noisy photos.

If you scan through the pics posted in the Prague review it's clear that the best quality pics were taken by Hendrik Mulder. Kudos! They seem to be the least noisy. I wonder what camera was used...

Date: July 7, 2018 01:14

I'd be surprised if he changed cameras since Marseille ;-) So per his messages above it's a Sony WX500, i.e. a Sony HX90V without GPS, flip-up screen and electronic pop-up viewfinder. Not too bothered about GPS (although it doesn't hurt to have the info during trips) but I'd miss the other two features.

--------------

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: July 8, 2018 11:33

I am not done with my pictures from PIT B in Marseille yet, but here's one of the two badasses. What do you think?

(ps: after uploading, I noticed an increase in grain/decrease in quality. Maybe some compression happens during uploading)

1/125 sec. ima/5,9 76,8 mm
iso 320
Lumix TZ101

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 11:35 by damnation.

Date: July 8, 2018 11:42

one more. Both of them are unprocessed jpg. Lumix captures in RAW as well.

1/2000 sec. ima/5,9 76,8 mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 11:45 by damnation.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 8, 2018 13:14

In awe of these photos. The one of Keith watching Mick is brilliant!

Date: July 8, 2018 14:39

Glad you like it ;-)

@damnation - thanks for sharing ! Maybe I'm not looking at them right but I'm not seeing a lot of difference between the quality/noise of the WSX500/HX90V and TZ100 ? I would have thought the 1" sensor would have made a bigger difference. I think there might be more of an impact on video as there's so much you can do with the settings and the sound is also a ton better on the Panasonic cameras.

Here's a somewhat similar one of Mick I took :

--------------

Date: July 9, 2018 00:30

Well the 1" sensor probably does make a difference but in other conditions than live concert photography. And probably also with a better photographer than me - I consider myself fully illiterate in the matter, but I always liked to take concert pictures.

I should find some time to see if the RAW image gives more detail - but I doubt.

Reason for the quality loss is the use of zoom. But totally zooming out (allowing a 2.8f) doesn't give net pictures in a concert setting.

These are great memories though.

Oh and yes, filming in 4k is great with these. You need a steady hand though smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2018 13:13

frenki09
About noisy photos.

If you scan through the pics posted in the Prague review it's clear that the best quality pics were taken by Hendrik Mulder. Kudos! They seem to be the least noisy. I wonder what camera was used...

Well it turns out he DID change cameras after the Marseille show and got the new Sony RX100 M6 with the 1" sensor, no wonder he took great pics !

--------------

Date: August 12, 2018 17:36

Yes, For the last 2 shows I exchanged my DSC-WX500 for a RX100-VI, really made a difference: It's fast and the bigger sensor made it all worth it!

Posted the following on my FB Group Love You Live:
[www.facebook.com]

Camera – part 2
After the Marseille show I posted, on many request, details about my camera and the settings I use.
Peter Den Hartog brought to my attention that Sony would put a new RX100 on the market: the RX100-VI.
The RX100 series is, without a doubt, one of the best compact camera’s around: big sensor, light sensitive and very fast but unfortunately lacking the zoom range I require.
Now, with the RX100-VI, Sony changed this: 24-200mm f/2.8-4.5.
So, according to these impressive specs and an enthusiastic Hauke Jürgensen, I decided to buy it; the only problem is that it is so new that there was almost no availability in the market; most web shops would have it in stock mid july but as we all know, too late because the tour would be over.
After some research I found a store in my hometown who had it available so one day before the Prague show I got it.
Usually I need more time to know the camera but now I only could practise on show day…
I decided to use similar settings as I did with the DSC-WX500 and created the same short cuts to adjust settings quick when neccesary. I also brought the DSC-WX500 with me in case things wouldn’t work out but fortunately, according to the pictures of the Prague show, it all worked out well.
I have to play around a little more with the color settings and the focus area because quite a few came out with the faces too white. Also I think I can use faster shutter speeds so will try 1/400.
Overall I’m very pleased with the first results and will keep on working on my way to perfecton in Warsaw.
Most important thing: know your camera, understand the settings and…Enjoy the Stones!

Posted by: TheBlackRose ()
Date: August 12, 2018 17:40

This photo is shot with the canon g7x mark ii.

Settings:
Aperture: 2.8
Shutter speed: 1/400
ISO: 200
Auto white balance

Date: August 12, 2018 17:42

Taken with the Sony RX100-VI, Warsaw 2018, Street Fighting Man:

Settings:
Aperture: 7.1
Shutter speed: 1/250
ISO: 1000

Hendrik Mulder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-12 17:55 by Hendrik.

Date: August 29, 2018 18:42

Nice picture, very touching, a bit of the "glazed" look again, it seemed to me he'd lost it lately...

Had missed your update on the camera upgrade. That RX100 M6 sure is tempting...apart from its price and truth is I don't think I could have gotten the pic of Keith I posted above using the a 672mm equivalent with my HX90v.

BTW - I was just in front of you in Marseille ;-)

--------------

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 29, 2018 19:04

some great photos there, but why the need for very fast shutter speeds on some of them while using a high ISO number.

A high ISO number has to be used if there isnt much ambient light, but using a slower shutter speed is a better option as it allows more light on to the sensor and in turns gives an option to use a lower ISO number, which reduces noise.

Date: September 5, 2018 15:56

Fast shutter because the boys still move quickly, gotta freeze the moment ;-)

--------------

Date: September 14, 2018 21:00

Pretty happy with this one too with my trusty HX90v

--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home