Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LISTEN ... Brian Jones Film Soundtrack
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 26, 2018 18:32

A Degree Of Murder

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-26 21:42 by schillid.

Re: LISTEN ... Brian Jones Film Soundtrack
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 26, 2018 19:12

No recording took place in September 1966. He hadn't even been asked to write music for the film at that point.

An error that keeps getting repeated.

It's most likely all recording took place over a few sessions in February 1967.

Really hope the soundtrack gets a proper release some day. Copyright might have run out on it in 2017, but probably runs out in 2020 due to it being released in USA in 1970.

I've made tentative start on recording a redux of it myself. See how that goes.

Date: May 26, 2018 19:22

Love this part!

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 26, 2018 22:03

I love it always have. Thanks for info His Majesty, Prince Jones.

Date: May 26, 2018 23:05

His Majesty
Love this part!

A bit of a medieval touch. Short, vulnerable but beautiful indeed. Is it Brian on guitar as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-26 23:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 26, 2018 23:18

The wailing harmonica sounds like his playing on 2120 SMA.

Date: May 27, 2018 00:55

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty
Love this part!

A bit of a medieval touch. Short, vulnerable but beautiful indeed. Is it Brian on guitar as well?

Fragile and beautiful. That's why I love it!

Not sure who plays guitar. Keith is supposed to have helped complete the soundtrack so could be him. Basic stuff, but I think the exact same guitar recording is used again, but with harmonica doing the melody later in the soundtrack.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 27, 2018 14:32

His Majesty
No recording took place in September 1966. He hadn't even been asked to write music for the film at that point.

Really hope the soundtrack gets a proper release some day. Copyright might have run out on it in 2017, but probably runs out in 2020 due to it being released in USA in 1970.

I would like to see a full and proper release of the soundtrack too. Unfortunately the tapes would have to be found first. If they are still around they are probably with someone or a company connected to the film itself. I asked ABKCO about this and to their credit they checked this out and informed me that they did not have any of the tapes relating to Brian's work on A Degree Of Murder. I'd imagine that the tapes were delivered to the director or more likely someone else connected with the production. It would certainly be fascinating to hear the music Brian handed over in it's entirety. I wonder how much music was recorded in total.

Date: May 27, 2018 15:10

The producer Rob Houwer supposedly has the master tape and film, but views the film as inferior work and/or has issues with director Volker Schlondorff.

It's sad that his soundtrack is completed right as various shit storms kick off in Rolling Stones world. It's probably why nothing else was done with it at the time.

I asked ALO about it and he said he had his own survival and not being busted to be thinking about.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 28, 2018 03:51

His Majesty

Even Jimmy Page seems to have got it wrong, too. In his book and on his website, he says the photo with him and BJ is from 5 September 1966. Also on his website are gigs he did with the Yardbirds, and they were touring the States in early September. Why he or his editor attached a date to that photo, well, who knows?
I think HM may be right on Feb 1967, as that's the only real break in the Yardbirds' schedule.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 28, 2018 10:43

Couldn't it be possible that Brian started in September 1966 on his own and Page came in during the finishing stages in February 1967?

The movie was premiered already on April 19, 1967. Starting from scratch in February 1967 would be a little late in my humble opinion.

Director Volker Schlöndorff is still among the living and has his own website. Did anyone here ever try to contact him to ask about the soundtrack?

[www.volkerschloendorff.com]

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 10:49 by NeddieFlanders.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 28, 2018 16:47

Nico has Brian working on the score sporadically between September 5, 1966 and February 11, 1967 with the film premiering in April 1967.

Date: May 28, 2018 21:53

Earliest work began on soundtrack is most likely December 1966. That's approx when Brian with Keith in tow visited Munich to spot the rough cuts of the film for inclusion of music.

Things moved fast in 60's. February recording fits in with various participants timelines and availability and also with Volker being uneasy about Brian not presenting completed work close to agreed deadlines.

With Mike Leander and top session guys involved, the soundtrack being recorded in in one or two sessions would not have been unusual.

The Page photos are from no earlier than very late December 1966. He didn't put mirrors on his tele until right before end of the year and he also didn't get/buy the shown Sola Sound Tone Bender until December.

That those photos by Stu are from February is backed up by the double exsposure on them of a Duke Ellington concert... Duke toured UK in February 1967.

I love the soundtrack, it is however essentially just a verse and chorus length melody played in different styles with some improvised blues jams thrown in. It's not the kind of work that requires 6 or so months to realise.

smileys with beer

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 22:15 by His Majesty.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 28, 2018 22:24

^
Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 29, 2018 15:32

This site has some nice pictures of Anita Pallenberg and Brian Jones and some press articles and Cannes 1967:

[schloendorff.deutsches-filminstitut.de]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 29, 2018 17:50

runaway
This site has some nice pictures of Anita Pallenberg and Brian Jones and some press articles and Cannes 1967:

Brian looking pretty relaxed, given the situation with Anita and Keith at the time.
Maybe the drugs were good...or in his own fantasy, he thought he might win Anita back.

Would Andy Johns have a copy of the soundtrack?
Or The Estate of Brian Jones?

Date: May 29, 2018 18:12

jlowe
runaway

Brian looking pretty relaxed, given the situation with Anita and Keith at the time.
Maybe the drugs were good...or in his own fantasy, he thought he might win Anita back.

Would Andy Johns have a copy of the soundtrack?
Or The Estate of Brian Jones?

Andy passed away and there’s no BJ Estate, Volker Schlöndorff was the filmdirector but you may be lucky bying the Film on internet.

Date: May 29, 2018 18:45

Surely there is a 'BJ Estate'.
Which receives royalties from his period with the Stones.

Date: May 29, 2018 18:52

jlowe

What I meant is his guitars and other belongings, a lot got stolen.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 29, 2018 19:04

sounds a little like "Why Don't we Sing this All Together"

I've never seen this movie and copies are hard to come by...anyone know if there is a link on line to watch it??

Date: May 29, 2018 19:06

I guess you are meaning Glyn Johns, he doesn't have it.

Date: May 29, 2018 19:40

His Majesty

HM thanks for correcting and Andy was some years later involved

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: May 29, 2018 19:44

Have always hoped to hear all in entirety.

Date: May 29, 2018 20:17

His Majesty
Earliest work began on soundtrack is most likely December 1966. That's approx when Brian with Keith in tow visited Munich to spot the rough cuts of the film for inclusion of music.

Things moved fast in 60's. February recording fits in with various participants timelines and availability and also with Volker being uneasy about Brian not presenting completed work close to agreed deadlines.

With Mike Leander and top session guys involved, the soundtrack being recorded in in one or two sessions would not have been unusual.

The Page photos are from no earlier than very late December 1966. He didn't put mirrors on his tele until right before end of the year and he also didn't get/buy the shown Sola Sound Tone Bender until December.

That those photos by Stu are from February is backed up by the double exsposure on them of a Duke Ellington concert... Duke toured UK in February 1967.

I love the soundtrack, it is however essentially just a verse and chorus length melody played in different styles with some improvised blues jams thrown in. It's not the kind of work that requires 6 or so months to realise.

smileys with beer

That chronology of events and your rationale for your placements was excellent. Well done!

Date: May 29, 2018 21:56

runaway
His Majesty

HM thanks for correcting and Andy was some years later involved

Well, the attachment above states 1966/67 ANDY JOHNS: Audio Engineer and Music Producer.

Date: May 30, 2018 01:05

jlowe

Well, the attachment above states 1966/67 ANDY JOHNS: Audio Engineer and Music Producer.

They are mixing up their Johns. smiling smiley

Date: May 30, 2018 01:39

In 1966/67 I believe Andy was a tape operator.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 30, 2018 17:51

runaway
jlowe

There is and never was a BJ estate, and nothing was ever stolen after he died. Basically his father took charge, and took possession of everything (which was his legal right). A lot of BJ's personal stuff was sold in the 70's and 80's, including his clothing, tapes, instruments and what more. Some of his guitars remained in the Stones camp, some were given away and some sold. The whereabouts of just about all of his guitars are known.

As far as I know, when his parents died all the rights went to his sister Barbara.

Mathijs
Ps a stash of his tapes are now being sold for $7500, but the owner does not disclose what's on it.

Date: May 30, 2018 19:25

Mathijs
runaway
jlowe

There is and never was a BJ estate, and nothing was ever stolen after he died. Basically his father took charge, and took possession of everything (which was his legal right). A lot of BJ's personal stuff was sold in the 70's and 80's, including his clothing, tapes, instruments and what more. Some of his guitars remained in the Stones camp, some were given away and some sold. The whereabouts of just about all of his guitars are known.

As far as I know, when his parents died all the rights went to his sister Barbara.

Mathijs
Ps a stash of his tapes are now being sold for $7500, but the owner does not disclose what's on it.

It is true that Brian's residence at Cotchford Farm was stripped clean of Brian's furniture, instruments, clothes and even his stash of money. Suki Poitier (Brian's girlfriend after Anita) was shocked to discover that all of Brian's valuable possessions had disappeared from his house right after his death, saying that, "the interior of the house had been ransacked".

Date: May 30, 2018 21:03

Mathijs

The ones on sale are just nonsense fables from a well known dubious 'author'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home