Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question regarding cities the stones play in.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 26, 2018 00:59

was just wondering from peoples vast experiences of travel and stones concerts.

im a bit concerned, that when i go to warsaw, prices will go up, is it something that usually happens when the band play in a city, that local businesses ie restaurants, bars, shops etc try to capitalize by increasing prices, or is there no difference.

Re: question regarding cities the stones play in.
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 26, 2018 01:49

When I was in Paris I got a cheap hotel no problem on booking.com and the restaurants were same price. I wouldn't worry too much.

Date: May 27, 2018 20:08

cheers schwonek, hopefully nought to worry about. ive heard stories of bar and restaurants putting prices up for football matches, champions league, world cup etc,

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 27, 2018 20:15

depends on the size of the city – in rather smaller cities prizes for accommodation go up since there are not enough hotel rooms, hostel beds etc. In big cities there's nearly no effect, e.g. 50.000 people more or less going to London don't matter much

Date: May 28, 2018 18:30

I have seen the Stones on every continent they have played on and I don't think this happens for just a one day event. Maybe when there is an event for a long period of time but changing all your prices for one maybe two days doesn't seem like the best idea.
If I found out the prices went up for just one day I would consider it price gouging and never return and probably find an alternative place to eat or stay. Sort of like when we have Typhoons and they raise the price on all the necessities because they know you have to purchase them and can charge what they want.

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: May 28, 2018 18:37

When I went to Dublin, hotel prices start skyrocketing once the gig was announced. But never to forget that Ed Sheeran played 3 gigs around the Stones concert, do the city was pretty booked. Other prices during my trip, like restaurants and bars to me seemed the same as always.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 29, 2018 11:18

The bigger the city, the smaller the impact is.
In cities with "limited" accomodation capacities, it definitely has an effect on hotel prices (offer and demand).

Posted by: AshtrayGirl ()
Date: May 29, 2018 13:33

buttons67
was just wondering from peoples vast experiences of travel and stones concerts.

im a bit concerned, that when i go to warsaw, prices will go up, is it something that usually happens when the band play in a city, that local businesses ie restaurants, bars, shops etc try to capitalize by increasing prices, or is there no difference.

Hi there! I've been living in Warsaw for 1 year now BUT before these happy times I took a trip there for big concerts and I don't feel that the prices go up too much during such events. It depends on your expectations and the holel stars you need tongue sticking out smiley
I guess...

Date: May 29, 2018 19:23

hi ashtraygirl. cheers, ive got my hotel booked, only my warsaw transport, food and drink to buy then. i was in warsaw last year, i find it a really interesting place, hopefully see a lot more of it this time around.

Date: May 29, 2018 20:18

I'm sure you will smiling smiley if you need any advice, you are more than welcome to ask.

Date: May 29, 2018 21:53

im not sure about public transport from modlin airport to warsaw centre and back, heard you can get a bus then train, or a direct bus to the centre, any advice about this would be most welcome thanks. also does the tickets bought at the metro stations also valid for buses and trams. i know you can buy tickets online before you arrive but dont want to choose this option incase my flight is late in.

Date: May 29, 2018 21:58

Modlinbus or train. I'm coming back from Edinburgh to Warsaw Modlin and I bought myself a cheap as hell Modlinbus which takes me to the very center of Warsaw (palace of culture and science, the most recognizable building in one of the most popular part of the city) where I can get a tube and take a rest at home. The tube takes you to the Stadium as well (M2). Stations M2 and M1 are situated very close to the Palace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-29 22:01 by AshtrayGirl.

Date: May 30, 2018 01:10

ive seen the modlinbus online, but wont book it, will buy ticket after i arrive as i dont know if flight will be late.

all i need to know now, is where does the modlinbus leave from when i want to go back to the airport. im staying just off swietokryska street, so not far from central warsaw.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 30, 2018 11:22

Certainly in Cardiff/Wales the various hotels and B&B places have exploited the Stones show on 15th June there to the absolute maximum, hotel prices went through the roof !!

I found two rooms for a friend of mine and I in a private house, it was on AIRBNB. We lucked out, because ...... our 'host' is also going to the show !! The night's accommodation will cost us just £25 each, it has to be one of the cheapest places to stay in Cardiff for the night of 15th June 2018 !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 30, 2018 20:27

paulywaul
Certainly in Cardiff/Wales the various hotels and B&B places have exploited the Stones show on 15th June there to the absolute maximum, hotel prices went through the roof !!

I found two rooms for a friend of mine and I in a private house, it was on AIRBNB. We lucked out, because ...... our 'host' is also going to the show !! The night's accommodation will cost us just £25 each, it has to be one of the cheapest places to stay in Cardiff for the night of 15th June 2018 !

That's some find. I'm day tripping this one. Direct fast train from Swindon to Cardiff. Swindon Station is 10-15 minutes from my office and the Principality Stadium is 5 minutes from Cardiff Central. No trains on the way back but there's a treacle slow Megabus leaving 2 streets from the stadium at midnight and arriving in Swindon at 3am. Several IORRians will be on board after I tipped them off grinning smiley

I did look into a night's accomdation in Cardiff but the avaialabilty was very low and what little there was astronomically priced. As others have said, the smaller the city the greater the pressure on prices. Big cities like london & Paris, with plenty of accomodation and tourist infrastructure are barely impacted price-wise when the Stones are in town.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home