Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jimmy Miller article - Rolling Stone, May 24
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2018 19:40

Rolling Stones Producer Jimmy Miller: 15 Things You Didn't Know

We remember the man who added cowbell to "Honky Tonk Women" and manned the boards for the band's classic late Sixties and early Seventies LPs

Robert Altman/Getty Images

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 19:47 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Jimmy Miller article - Rolling Stone, May 24
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:56

I loved this piece! Had no idea about The Knack or that his sister was the NY Times journalist Judith Miller; and have read her forever....
...and etc... thanks for posting.
haha i even dug his own single; hadn't a clue about a lot of this fascinating stuff.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 25, 2018 01:21

Always love to read about JMiller..........thanks for posting

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 25, 2018 07:05

Yeah, that was a great little read.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 25, 2018 07:15

bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones Producer Jimmy Miller: 15 Things You Didn't Know

We remember the man who added cowbell to "Honky Tonk Women" and manned the boards for the band's classic late Sixties and early Seventies LPs

Robert Altman/Getty Images

[www.rollingstone.com]

*That’s a heck of a picture ^ (humbling)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 25, 2018 10:58

Amazing record producer of some of the best Stones Albums and Motörhead, good drummer as well.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 25, 2018 14:23

35love
That’s a heck of a picture

L.A studio, October 1969 iirc.

Jimmy Miller: 15 Things You Didn't Know - RS Mag. May 2018
Date: May 24, 2018 23:26

immy Miller: 15 Things You Didn't Know

[www.rollingstone.com]

The Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash," released as a single 50 years ago today, isn't merely the greatest song ever written about Keith Richards' gardener (who inspired the tune in name only). It recently came to light that, in the summer of 2016, a phrase from the opening line – "crossfire hurricane" – became the FBI code name for their investigation of President Trump and his ties to Russian meddling in the election. But due to the involvement of producer Jimmy Miller, "Flash" was already a landmark in the band's discographical lore.

The song arrived five months after the ill-fated Their Satanic Majesties Request LP, which had critics and fans alike questioning whether the Stones were still relevant. Writing for Rolling Stone, Jon Landau said "Their Satanic Majesties Request, despite moments of unquestionable brilliance, puts the status of the Rolling Stones in jeopardy. With it, the Stones abandon their capacity to lead in order to impress the impressionable. They have been far too influenced by their musical inferiors and the result is an insecure album in which they try too hard to prove that they too are innovators, and that they too can say something new." Landau further added that the album "was marred by poor production."

The Stones didn't need a rock critic to tell them they could use some help. Before you could say Jack Flash, they'd hired Brooklyn-born producer Jimmy Miller who, while they were recording Satanic Majesties in studio A at Olympic Studios, had been recording Traffic's debut album in studio B. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" was the first release with the new partnership.

The collaboration would be one of rock's most fruitful, with Miller producing the next five Stones albums: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, and Goats Head Soup. Those first four aren't just four of the best albums the Stones would ever record; they're four of the greatest rock albums of all time (coming in at numbers 58, 32, 64 and 7, respectively, according to Rolling Stone). "Jimmy Miller was one of the most simpatico producers that I've ever worked with," Keith Richards said in According to the Rolling Stones. "He could handle a band – especially this band – and gave everybody the same level of support. ... He had a very good rapport with Mick."

.... etc....and then a list; w links to tracks.

Re: Jimmy Miller: 15 Things You Didn't Know - RS Mag. May 2018
Date: May 24, 2018 23:28

Oh darn; i searched the message list for titles; but missed it.
There was a show too!!
A good poster was way ahead of me four days ago...
...so I'm gonna go there, and apologize to the rest of you for unintentionally doubling-up here;
I haven't even read the list yet....in any case, the link is here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 23:29 by hopkins.

Re: Jimmy Miller: 15 Things You Didn't Know - RS Mag. May 2018
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:38

Fanks Hopkins … ya learn a little more everyday

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 25, 2018 18:29

Thanks for this. Never knew there was a difference between UK and US versions of "Gimme Some Lovin'"

Miller also produced one of the greatest live albums of all time.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 25, 2018 18:51

Miller made Charlie great!

Many things I used to love about the Stones and Charlies'playing from that time was due to him/Miller.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 26, 2018 02:52

When I think , no ,when I look at the evidence and plain facts before me of how great this guy was and then sadly I have to compare it to an idiot sitting on the floor with headphones....thinking that producing a Stones album means saying “yeah Mick,awesome “ that sounds great Keith “ I have only one comment-it’s over.

Don’t even think about trying to make another one.it was a great run,the live show kicks ass and pays well,leave the catalog as it is .RIP JM,you were one of a kind.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2018 03:52

loog droog
Thanks for this. Never knew there was a difference between UK and US versions of "Gimme Some Lovin'"

Miller also produced one of the greatest live albums of all time.
[www.youtube.com]

Never knew about that either, nor his connection to George Clinton, and for all the years I've listened to Motorhead dating back to c.1980, never would have guessed he was considered "the fourth member of the band".
You learn something every day, and in this case I learned several things - thanks for the link bye bye johnny. thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 26, 2018 05:39

Funny thing, when Miller split with the Stones, it barely got a mention in the rock press.

At the time I wondered if there was sort of an understanding that if you wanted to cover the Stones and get cooperation from them, you didn't go there. Everything printed was their side of the story, and even then not much was said.

It was like the shift from Miller to Glimmer Twins was no big deal.

Considering what he did for the band, it was a HUGE deal when he left. But in the press there wasn't much information going out there about it at the time.

I'm glad that he's finally getting his due.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 26, 2018 10:00

Great producer!!
"Jimmy Miller was the producer behind The Rolling Stones’ killer streak of albums from 1968’s Beggars Banquet through to Goats Head Soup in ’73. When engineer Colin Leggett quit three days into the sessions for Movin’ On Up, Gillespie knew just who to call to finish what was already an ultra-Stonesy track: “The one guy in the world I wanted to mix us was Jimmy Miller. But he was hard to find, because within the music industry he was seen as a burn-out. But I went up to Eden Studios and he mixed Movin’ On Up for us there. And it was incredible. Then he did Damaged with Andrew Innes. We were blown away. He was really into groove and rhythm. On Movin’ On Up there’s this mad percussion thing going on, and it’s Jimmy playing two Coca-Cola bottles”
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 26, 2018 11:30

"We've never played an intro to 'Honky Tonk Women' live the way it is on the record," Watts said in According to the Rolling Stones.

Absolutely right. The only version of HTW that matters, is the studio version by the Stones. Out of the trillion covers or live renditions, I have never heard a single live or studio version, may it from the Stones itself or some other group, that sounded as good as the original studio version.

Date: May 26, 2018 16:28

The Jimmy Miller - Richard Buskin interview can be found here ---->>>>> [iorr.org]

Good ole Photobucket keeps collapsing so will upload the Buskin interview again soon ….

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-27 02:26 by Rockman.

Date: May 27, 2018 02:26

ROCKMAN

Date: May 27, 2018 02:32

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2018 02:41

The same sad story over and over. When men get crazy, the women suffer. sad smiley

Date: May 27, 2018 07:26

The Jimmy Miller - Richard Buskin interview ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2018 09:50

Nice.

One can see how a not so true picture of Brian not being on Beggars emerged. I see it as them remembering 1968 - 1969 as essentially one long block of recording and the blurring between spring 1968 and spring 1969 is understandible.

Still, he made it on to 8 or so tracks on Beggars, which is maybe more than Bill.

smoking smiley

Thanks as always for the scans ROCKMAN. smileys with beer

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 27, 2018 15:21

Thank you kindly for uploading those old clips Rockman.
Much appreciated.

Date: May 27, 2018 22:17

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up …. anytime man ….anytime

ROCKMAN

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 28, 2018 01:01

Rockman
The Jimmy Miller - Richard Buskin interview can be found here ---->>>>> [iorr.org]

Good ole Photobucket keeps collapsing so will upload the Buskin interview again soon ….

Thanks Rockman!! Jimmy Miller is an unsung hero. What a genius. I never knew he got his start producing in the NY NJ R&B scene. He produced The Parliaments! Amazing.

So sorry about his demise and death.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 28, 2018 01:21

From the account that's given on page 130 of the scan in Rockman's post, it seems Jimmy Miller deserved a writing credit on Jumping Jack Flash -- Mick took his suggestion to change the lyric for the chorus, and it gives the song a whole different meaning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home