Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: London 2 Song Vote
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2018 11:16

keithsman
all great, but

Dead Flowers

or

Live With Me (without Bobby?)

I hear you, Bobby is very much missed, anyone else notice how Keith completely ignores Karl's very much changed effort on Brown Sugar.
Ronnie goes over to karl but never Keith. Actions speak louder than words.

Lol Karl the new guy gets no respect - his solos on Brown Sugar sound a bit like something Kenny G would play.
They did play Live With Me at Desert Trip wkd 2, but it wasn't Karl on the sax solo. Tim Ries played it and it was quite bad - just a bunch of obnoxious honking noises.
Bobby will always be missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 11:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 11:24

I guess that Bobby Keys' first contribution to Stones' music was Live With Me.
And it was fantastic.
Never tired of listening to that sax solo.
Karl is in a very difficult situation cause he always reminds everyone of Bob's irreplaceable beauty
(Anyway Tim Rice is very different but great IMO)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 11:32 by 1962.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 25, 2018 11:55

keithsman
matxil
JumpinJeppeFlash
Monkey Man
Live With Me
Dancing With Mr D
Dead Flowers

Dead Flowers or Live With Me.
Dancing with Mr D is a lame song and Monkey Man is fantastic but it doesn't work live at all..

This not working for you matxil ?

[www.youtube.com]

It's a good version, I admit. I guess it depends on what you like about the song.
To be clear: I absolutely love the studio version, it might be in my top-10 of all time best Stones songs. They are all great: Charlie (of course), Mick Jagger but especially this is Keith's showcase. So, it needs those glass-hard cutting riffs and all its variations, like a machine gun. Maybe they can pull that off in a small venue but in a stadium it's impossible, the guitars will never have that bite. So it just sounds like a woolly rocker, and it's not supposed to sound like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 11:56 by matxil.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 14:41

Final result:

Is Dead Flowers the winner ?
(seen on Twitter)

My guess both Monkey Man (36%) & Dead Flower (37%) will be played

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 14:50 by 1962.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 15:06

Monkey man got 67% on facebook dead flowers got 66%

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 25, 2018 15:48

matxil
keithsman
matxil
JumpinJeppeFlash
Monkey Man
Live With Me
Dancing With Mr D
Dead Flowers

Dancing with Mr D is a lame song and Monkey Man is fantastic but it doesn't work live at all..

[www.youtube.com]

It's a good version, I admit. I guess it depends on what you like about the song.
To be clear: I absolutely love the studio version, it might be in my top-10 of all time best Stones songs. They are all great: Charlie (of course), Mick Jagger but especially this is Keith's showcase. So, it needs those glass-hard cutting riffs and all its variations, like a machine gun. Maybe they can pull that off in a small venue but in a stadium it's impossible, the guitars will never have that bite. So it just sounds like a woolly rocker, and it's not supposed to sound like that.

Well the way the vote is going we might well get to hear it tonight, will be interesting to see if they can pull it off in a stadium.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 16:14

keithsman
matxil
keithsman
matxil
JumpinJeppeFlash
Monkey Man
Live With Me
Dancing With Mr D
Dead Flowers

[www.youtube.com]

Well the way the vote is going we might well get to hear it tonight, will be interesting to see if they can pull it off in a stadium.

Indeed, it was one of the highlights for me at my first ever Stones show at Wembley Stadium 1995.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 25, 2018 16:42

Yes that was when they planned it brilliantly, i was there too sjs12, was my 3rd Stones show.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 18:00

keithsman
Yes that was when they planned it brilliantly, i was there too sjs12, was my 3rd Stones show.

In fact it might have been my 2nd Stones show. I went to nights 1 and 3 at Wembley and I can't remember which they played this and which was GS.

They rotated MM quite regularly on that tour so it would have been quite polished. If they play it tonight it could well be a bit rusty but worth a go.

Monkey Man, Dead Flowers and Dancing With Mr D are 3 songs that I REALLY want to see live and have never witnessed the latter two in person. If nothing else, I would really want to see Dead Flowers above all else as it is one of my favourite songs. My fingers and toes are crossed for Southampton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 20:11 by sjs12.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 25, 2018 18:21

I listened to Monkey Man from the Dublin rehearsals and it was pretty slow paced and almost ballad-esque. So don't expect a tight version with ''bite'' if it wins. Still a far more interesting choice than Dead Flowers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 18:22 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 25, 2018 20:36

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2018 20:55

TheBlockbuster
I listened to Monkey Man from the Dublin rehearsals and it was pretty slow paced and almost ballad-esque. So don't expect a tight version with ''bite'' if it wins. Still a far more interesting choice than Dead Flowers.

The way they play some songs these days almost comes across like a funeral dirge with Chuck's keyboards sounding like what would be played in a funeral parlour.
And the biting riffage involved with Monkey Man might be a bit tough for Keith. If Dead Flowers is indeed the winner, might be easiest for all band members.
Was hoping for Live With Me, but oh well.....always loved Dead Flowers both studio and live. thumbs up

Date: May 25, 2018 21:08

Keith's riffing was good on the rehearsal.

The played the instrumental bridge a bit too long, though. Pretty sure they held the tempo of the studio version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 21:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 26, 2018 14:11

Sorry, Have to call BS here, on the Stones site it showed Monkey Man winning over Dead Flowers 39 to 35% right when the poll closed.

...so we know the system is rigged

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: May 26, 2018 15:27

Well I think this year the poll is a mix of all the social media accounts. So not necessarily what is winning the app vote will get played. But yes, that vote seems to be a bit suspicious for quite a while now. Probably since it exists.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 26, 2018 18:02

I still don’t understand the facebook poll.
Why are there 2 polls?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-26 18:04 by BowieStone.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home