Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 29 of 30
Re: London Stadium #1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 25, 2018 16:46

roller99
smileys with beersmiling smiley
keithsman
No offence taken roller99, you always explain yourself in an articulate way when pressed, its all good with me thumbs upsmileys with beer

Thank you kindly!

thumbs up smiling smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 25, 2018 19:48

roller99
Anyone who was not present at this show has no place being in this thread.

Rubbish.

Re: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2018 21:56

roller99
stonehearted
roller99

That right there is just about the most offensive, antagonizing thing I've ever read on this forum.

People so full of themselves they feel entitled to elevate themselves above other fans.

Because of the price of a concert ticket.

The fan police.

Some people think they own the Stones.

"But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me..."

Full of myself? Elevating myself? Rubbish. You cannot experience the nuances of a show though a YouTube clip. When you're up front, you can hear the band playing through their amps, before it gets to the PA. Darryl asked me if I could hear this exact thing. So people up front have a much different experience than those further back. Critiquing a performance shot with a phone is like reviewing a car without having driven it. Sour grapes....

Which is like saying you can't critique an album if you weren't in the studio to hear it while it was being recorded, or at least having heard the master played back through the production console, because there are more nuances to be heard in the studio playback; for instance, a vinyl album contains only 90% of the bass.

roller99
Why thank you, I'll wear that comment proudly, even though it's totally misinformed and dripping with jealousy.

How pathetic.

Oh, by the way, if you read my comments in this thread, I said only positive things about the performance based on the YouTube clips I saw.

Does that still mean that I'm not allowed to post in this thread, because I wasn't there?

What I took offense to was your pompous, self-righteous approach to fandom.

You're not the sort of person I'd want to have a beer with, mate --

You're the sort of person I'd want to throw a beer at.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 22:03

It's amazing how people seem to think YouTube somehow inserts bum notes and flat vocals into the audio stream.

The ability to capture video and audio now is so advanced that it IS possible to glean whether a performance was good or bad without being there.

Now, whether or not YOU notice that if you're there in the moment is a different story. I've been at concerts where I was totally oblivious to mistakes because I was in the moment and hyped up on adrenaline, and then listened to the performance on YouTube at a later date and thought, "wait, I totally missed that mistake".

Rolling Stones - London 22-May-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2018 22:13

Photography by John Hayhurst for Rock Shot:

Date: May 25, 2018 22:14

Date: May 25, 2018 22:15

Date: May 25, 2018 22:16

Date: May 25, 2018 22:18

Re: Rolling Stones - London 22-May-2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2018 20:05

bye bye johnny
Photography by John Hayhurst for Rock Shot:

More great pics, and a nice review to top it off.
Hopefully Mick can keep up with the pace.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 27, 2018 12:50

Thanks for your always great reviews Dean G. But I think on Tuesday Mick was talking about Dalston Baths, rather than a Dalston bar.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 27, 2018 15:59

stonehearted
roller99
stonehearted
roller99

That right there is just about the most offensive, antagonizing thing I've ever read on this forum.

People so full of themselves they feel entitled to elevate themselves above other fans.

Because of the price of a concert ticket.

The fan police.

Some people think they own the Stones.

"But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me..."

Full of myself? Elevating myself? Rubbish. You cannot experience the nuances of a show though a YouTube clip. When you're up front, you can hear the band playing through their amps, before it gets to the PA. Darryl asked me if I could hear this exact thing. So people up front have a much different experience than those further back. Critiquing a performance shot with a phone is like reviewing a car without having driven it. Sour grapes....

Which is like saying you can't critique an album if you weren't in the studio to hear it while it was being recorded, or at least having heard the master played back through the production console, because there are more nuances to be heard in the studio playback; for instance, a vinyl album contains only 90% of the bass.

roller99
Why thank you, I'll wear that comment proudly, even though it's totally misinformed and dripping with jealousy.

How pathetic.

Oh, by the way, if you read my comments in this thread, I said only positive things about the performance based on the YouTube clips I saw.

Does that still mean that I'm not allowed to post in this thread, because I wasn't there?

What I took offense to was your pompous, self-righteous approach to fandom.

You're not the sort of person I'd want to have a beer with, mate --

You're the sort of person I'd want to throw a beer at.

Perhaps I overstated. Apologies. I go home and look at my clips shot on my mobile and think they are poor. I even shoot some songs at 720p and still think they pale. And everyone's is entitled to their opinion, whether there or not.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 28, 2018 00:51

Don't know if posted before. Heard this: Liam Gallagher was standing in the pit with some bodyguards watching the Stones - and he was smoking. He was several times asked to stopp it but he didn't. So he had to leave the pit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 15:13 by MAF.

Date: May 28, 2018 01:44

Isn´t it allowed to smoke, when the roof of the stadium is open and it´s open air...?? Serious question, I need to know....

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: May 28, 2018 03:09

keefriff99
It's amazing how people seem to think YouTube somehow inserts bum notes and flat vocals into the audio stream.

The ability to capture video and audio now is so advanced that it IS possible to glean whether a performance was good or bad without being there.

Now, whether or not YOU notice that if you're there in the moment is a different story. I've been at concerts where I was totally oblivious to mistakes because I was in the moment and hyped up on adrenaline, and then listened to the performance on YouTube at a later date and thought, "wait, I totally missed that mistake".

Part of the reason you wont notice as many of the imperfections as while there in the moment is the sound balance at the concert will obscure them to some extent, by which I mean in person the bass, drums, guitars and other instrumentation will be mixed to be a whole, and while we have great recording devices these days, the limitations with the microphones mean they accentuate some instruments (based on their frequency range) and reduce others (to some extent) which means listening back to a phone recording is going to difer to some degree from the actual listening experience while at the event.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2018 12:33

angee

Doxa, always interesting. Were you in attendance at the shows where you say Mick last showed his full physical powers?

Well, I catched him in Stockholm 2014, and that was probably the best performance by him I ever have wittnessed live (starting, though, only from 1995). Never felt him presence so strongly both physically and (especially) singing-wise. Like he was really letting himself go. He really sounded and moved like it would be his last performance ever. I thought after a few numbers - things like "All Down The Line" and "Out of Control" were totally out of his world - that let's see how he will get this show through, because there was no any control - it looked like - energy-level-wise. He was clearly stronger in every level than, for example, I saw him in Hyde Park a year earlier (which was a normal case of his 'professionalism' I've wittnessed many times earlier). People following him closely made the similar onservation during that European Tour. This high note lasted I think until during Australian Tour his throat broke down (he got ill). And I think he has been more careful ever since, slowing a bit his physicality in order to control better his voice. From the base of the clips I've seen this tendency has continued tour by tour.

I cannot help but think that L'Wrenn's tragedy had something to do with MIck performing his ass off every gig in the following tour (Europe), and giving more from himself than usual (an odd kind of sign of humanity and mortality). Like it would be the last gig ever every night. Probably that was a part of his personal healing process. Just speculating though.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 12:36 by Doxa.

Date: May 28, 2018 12:47

Doxa
angee

Doxa, always interesting. Were you in attendance at the shows where you say Mick last showed his full physical powers?

Well, I catched him in Stockholm 2014, and that was probably the best performance by him I ever have wittnessed live (starting, though, only from 1995). Never felt him presence so strongly both physically and (especially) singing-wise. Like he was really letting himself go. He really sounded and moved like it would be his last performance ever. I thought after a few numbers - things like "All Down The Line" and "Out of Control" were totally out of his world - that let's see how he will get this show through, because there was no any control - it looked like - energy-level-wise. He was clearly stronger in every level than, for example, I saw him in Hyde Park a year earlier (which was a normal case of his 'professionalism' I've wittnessed many times earlier). People following him closely made the similar onservation during that European Tour. This high note lasted I think until during Australian Tour his throat broke down (he got ill). And I think he has been more careful ever since, slowing a bit his physicality in order to control better his voice. From the base of the clips I've seen this tendency has continued tour by tour.

I cannot help but think that L'Wrenn's tragedy had something to do with MIck performing his ass off every gig in the following tour (Europe), and giving more from himself than usual (an odd kind of sign of humanity and mortality). Like it would be the last gig ever every night. Probably that was a part of his personal healing process. Just speculating though.

- Doxa

Interesting, as I never thought of it like that. I didn't attend the Stockholm-show, though.

However, I saw the 2012 (O2 I), Hyde Park I, Oslo 2014, Roskilde 2014, Hamburg 2017, Amsterdam 2017 and London I 2018. I missed the 2015 and 2016-tours.

I'd say that the less energetic performances of these shows (from Mick) were Oslo and Roskilde 2014 and Hyde Park I (Especially Oslo: the first show after L'Wren's death).

If we can read something into this, it would be that Mick is human after all. Sometimes he's in incredible shape, other times he listens to his body and takes it down a notch.

But I think we need more shows under our belts, than you and I attend, Doxa, to be able to conclude on this..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 12:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2018 14:07

DandelionPowderman

Interesting, as I never thought of it like that. I didn't attend the Stockholm-show, though.

However, I saw the 2012 (O2 I), Hyde Park I, Oslo 2014, Roskilde 2014, Hamburg 2017, Amsterdam 2017 and London I 2018. I missed the 2015 and 2016-tours.

I'd say that the less energetic performances of these shows (from Mick) were Oslo and Roskilde 2014 and Hyde Park I (Especially Oslo: the first show after L'Wren's death).

If we can read something into this, it would be that Mick is human after all. Sometimes he's in incredible shape, other times he listens to his body and takes it down a notch.

But I think we need more shows under our belts, than you and I attend, Doxa, to be able to conclude on this..

Surely there were and are more energetic nights than others during every tour, but I think it was not just me seeing the European Tour 2014 generally special for Jagger. That was a quite common feature among many reports that of Mick being extraordinary (which says a lot since his 'normal' energy-level goes beyond sense, and is taken for granted). Especially I recall poster named Justin making some damn insightful posts about it. And it was not just Jagger running and jumping and dancing around (that's something for granted still at the time; for example, IORReans usually don't even note about in their reports) - it was him putting more effort into his actual vocal delivery than usual. It could be that you had a bad luck - a rusty and nervous opening night, and a festival performance. Or that I was extraordinarily lucky...

Actually I looked the other day those 2012 performances, and while he was as rabit-like energetic as always there physically, his vocal deliveries were much more 'typical' for the latter day era Stones than in 2014 (and something I've fed up with a long time ago). So much nasal and technical voice saving, with no much emotional attachment, in order to keep the show going on. So the extra-level in energy didn't emerge in 2014 for running some more, but that of using his voice more strongly and effectively. That was something I have had never wittnessed from him live earlier (I am talking about a dozen or so concerts I've attened to - which, mostly, have been typical huge crowd stadium shows). When those two - the languages of body and vocals - were in synch, or affecting into each other naturally, that made a huge difference to a cynical soul like me. That was a Jagger I've never seen before, less a highly cold and calculating the 8th wonder of the world robot we supposed to admire from a distance, and more a true artist giving and delivering us something via his performance. (Of course, the context here is 'modern era' Jagger & The Stones, of which I only have any first-hand experience - not any relevance to the times when Mick & The Stones were still in the process of making their legacy and not yet milking it out. I am sure the Jagger I've been 'familiar with' is a long cry from the Jagger from the 60's and 70's)

Yep, all of this is coming from a rather small material evidence (observations based on a few concerts, youtube clips, bootlegs and official live releases), and surely doesn't justify for any firmer conclusions. So all of this remains in a hasty level. But then again, if one sees every concert by being present, and taking how subjectively loaded every concert as an experience is, I guess actually seeing any difference in the long run would be even harder. There are some advantages by being mostly an arm-chair critic with just some casual concert interventions...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 14:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: May 28, 2018 16:56

Doxa
angee

- Doxa

I agree with you Doxa.
The Stockholm show in 2014 was one of the best Mick's performance I've seen.
Though, his performance 3 days ago in London #2 was spectacular, let's not forget he is 4 years older now.

Benjamin.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 28, 2018 22:15

Thanks, Doxa!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 29, 2018 12:33

Here's my video of opening song Street Fighting Man from the first London show.

Date: May 29, 2018 12:40

Silver Dagger

Fab version, fab opener. Thanks for posting, Mike! Great, great stuff! thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 29, 2018 12:53

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

Fab version, fab opener. Thanks for posting, Mike! Great, great stuff! thumbs up

I have more from close up but will post in the coming days.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: May 29, 2018 14:53

....., but I can't see no link?

All the Best!

Silver Dagger

Date: May 29, 2018 14:56

Heart for Stones
....., but I can't see no link?

All the Best!

Silver Dagger

If you're using your phone you can't see the embedded YouTube player.

That's why I always post the full link + the link without the "s" in https, to make sure the link is visible as well.

Here's the link to Mike's post: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-29 14:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 21, 2018 13:28

Lovely to have the lead in Record Collector mag this month for my review of the gig, but for an unedited version that makes more sense please go to

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 13:41 by johnnythunders.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 22, 2018 20:22

The Rolling Stones - Live in London 2018 full video soundboard and rehearsals

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 22, 2018 21:27

TooTough

[www.youtube.com]

the sound is rather thin, I'd say. There are audience recordings around that sound much better

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: August 23, 2018 00:08

slewan
TooTough

[www.youtube.com]

the sound is rather thin, I'd say. There are audience recordings around that sound much better

Could that be Mick's monitor/in-ear mix? Cause it just sounds like most musicians prefer their monitor mix, a clean sounding mix of the band with the own insturment/voice a bit louder.

Two days in London, full concert soundboard
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 19, 2018 09:51

Not sure is this is an official release or not

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 29 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home