Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 27 of 30
Re: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 22:33

Joyce Smyth smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley

"What you will see is the Stones without the filter - just them playing at their very best because I honestly think they're getting better and better. I know Keith [Richards] himself will tell you that, but they really are".

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 24, 2018 22:53

My day, my thoughts...

Arrived at Pancras Int'l at 10am. Rode my skateboard through town, bought a Blondie CD at Sister Ray's (love that place), and rode all the way to 102 Edith Grove...what a disappointment! I dunno what I expected, well yes, at least some graffiti, or a few other fans taking pictures or a commemorative plaque (lol), it was just the most mundane place you could imagine, not the slightest trace of any Stones history whatsoever, and definitely not worth the sweaty effort I made to get there; next time I'll head over to Sticky Fingers and drink some beer!

Went solo to the show (thanks again to SilverDagger for the ticket, unfortunately we weren't in the same section)...had a great time, only my 4th Stones show (1st in 2007 Paris Stade de France) but just as good as the other ones I've seen.

Olympic Stadium: surprisingly fluid getting in, hardly any queues for the loo or beers, very friendly staff, sound seemed fine to my General Admission ears, no complaints...

In terms of the previous threads:
Medley: hey, sorry but I'm all for it, I also would love more deeper cuts!
Midnight Rambler: I get that people love it, but that's the one song I just don't care for, I use it for a pissbreak and to buy a beer.
Charlie: Seemed fine to me, honestly the only glitch I noticed in the entire show was the minor guitar hiccup at the very beginning of Satisfaction.

As I didn't want to get stuck in neverending lines back to the metro, I left right after the beginning of Satisfaction (as did a few hundred others!), managed to get back to King's Cross easily and without any unecessary waits. Grabbed a nice Stones longsleeve from a street vendor for just 10£.

Sunday: went to Camden Market and talked to other Stones fans in a sunny terrace drinking beer (right after buying a No Security CD!).

Great 2-day trip. Back in Paris now, and miserable as ever with work!!!

Cheers,

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:01

johnnythunders
My review here [onlyrockandroll.london]

I loved reading this and being reminded of that line about Jade. I wish I could have been there. I was going past the stadium on a train to fgo to work at 8.30pm as the Stones were taking the stage and the sun setting. It was agony not to be there. Roll on Coventry and Twickenham!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:07

philrock90
keithsman
I think the mistakes are part of their charm, they could still be as good as they were 20 years ago but only if they did 80 date tours, so it is what it is, always a bit rusty, or because of their ages, a bit rusty and tired.
That's it basically.

Keith said last year at the end of the 14 date tour that he and Ronnie said to each other "but we are just getting into our stride"
The reason they cant play more frequently than twice a week and not tour for more than 14 shows is because Micks voice can't take it. FACT. His voice goes if its used too much.

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

And i'd say keiths arthritus comes into it too its funny when you think though since 2012 they been touring every year i guess this is how it will be until they pack up i do wonder if they will ever play london again though

Yeah i forgot that, Keith definitely struggles with those fingers in the cold weather.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:12

Lady Jayne
johnnythunders

I loved reading this and being reminded of that line about Jade. I wish I could have been there. I was going past the stadium on a train to fgo to work at 8.30pm as the Stones were taking the stage and the sun setting. It was agony not to be there. Roll on Coventry and Twickenham!

Love reading all the reviews what a show and from Johnny:
‘Jade, the daughter that Jagger sings about putting on his knee, is now 46 and she watched the song from behind Charlie Watts’ drum riser.’
I knew it! Awwwww

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:24

35love
Lady Jayne
johnnythunders

‘Jade, the daughter that Jagger sings about putting on his knee, is now 46 and she watched the song from behind Charlie Watts’ drum riser.’
I knew it! Awwwww

It’s worth noting that Jade now has a granddaughter the same age as she was when the song was first released eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:25

MonkeyMan2000
A lot of people who were not at the shows seem sour because they didn't take the chance. You're a fool if you go to a Stones show expecting tight musicianship and a band playing flawlessly. Their shows are about much more than just the playing (which is the only thing that can be judged by recordings/videos). Actually the atmosphere plays a much more important role at how memorable a show is.
Personally I go to a Tomatito concert when I want to see exceptional guitar playing and I go to a Vulfpeck show if I want to see an unbelievably tight band. But I go to a Stones show to have fun and after all they still hold the only key to their sound as a journalist recently put it.

Do you really believe that? I havent seen them live since 1998 and I only wish id seen them live in 78, 75, 73,72,69, 67 or 66. Or 1981. Mostly 72 or 73. And 75.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2018 23:34

grzegorz67
35love
Lady Jayne
johnnythunders

I knew it! Awwwww

It’s worth noting that Jade now has a granddaughter the same age as she was when the song was first released eye rolling smiley

Yes, we’re all older now.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 25, 2018 00:17

35love
Lady Jayne
johnnythunders

I knew it! Awwwww

My apologies, 35L, for doubting you earlier, on the song. I see now. She was five when the song came out. Maybe we can add the adult women in there too, in the later verses, huh.

(Thanks, jonnythunders.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 25, 2018 00:21

Hairball
matxil
Fool To Cry, it's not the weakest on B&B (that's either Hot Stuff, Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby or Memory Hotel)

Hairball
I agree about Negrita and Cherry Oh Baby being inferior, but Memory Hotel is superior, and Hot Stuff is the second best tune on the album with Hand of Fate being the best IMO.

If I ever have to read something about Memory Hotel I'll Paint It Red with Jumping Fred Flash...

...the curse of the the domino effect...

cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2018 00:29

That was a bit...emotional...the old Stones back in London...
Even though they're zillionaires selling overpriced tickets for a show with songs over 30 years old, they're still bringing alot of joy to many...it was quite moving.
Bless the Stones! thumbs up

Date: May 25, 2018 00:39

strat72
bobo
Wild Slivovitz
It's been a great gig indeed. I'm surprised to read so much negativity about it. I totally loved it (Just Midnight Rambler was maybe a little slow.).

And as usually most of the negative comments and opinions are from people who weren't at the gigeye rolling smiley

That certainly seems to be the truth. I get frustrated coming onto a concert thread and have to read through loads of comments from people that were not even at the gig. I want to know the opinion of the people who were there, not someones opinion of a Youtube clip.

BV really needs to think about having a separate thread for Youtube clips (And what people think of them) for each gig.

I like the way it is...before,during and after the show...building up tension,news,infos,pictures and clips popping in...interesting even days after to read and follow.
The ability to scroll isn't that hard to learn.

By the way...have you been at the show ?

Date: May 25, 2018 00:42

shortfatfanny
Hairball
matxil
Fool To Cry, it's not the weakest on B&B (that's either Hot Stuff, Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby or Memory Hotel)

Hairball
I agree about Negrita and Cherry Oh Baby being inferior, but Memory Hotel is superior, and Hot Stuff is the second best tune on the album with Hand of Fate being the best IMO.

If I ever have to read something about Memory Hotel I'll Paint It Red with Jumping Fred Flash...

...the curse of the the domino effect...

cool smiley

It was supposed to be released, though winking smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 25, 2018 00:44

i keep seeing mention of a medley. what are people talking about?

Date: May 25, 2018 00:54

sundevil
i keep seeing mention of a medley. what are people talking about?

Not sure but I think Stoneage had the idea which is ok...but I don't want medleys by the Stones...

Maybe that could be a fine seperate thread.
I won't start it...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2018 01:05

I'm not propagating for medleys per se. It's just that I'm fed up by warhorses like JJFlash, Brown Sugar and satisfaction. Heard them a hundred times to many.
So I proposed to make a medley out of them. If not only to to spare time for other songs. But forget it. It was me against the stream. The stream won!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 25, 2018 01:35

little queenie
I'll be interested to hear if Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs will be playing with Liam Gallagher tonight. Should be a good opening act.

As I'm sure you heard by now, Bonehead did join him for Some Might Say and Cigarettes and Alcohol

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 04:42

Hairball
To compare Brussels era Stones vs. today...a 45 year difference....hmmmm...without saying one is better than the other, there is some obvious differences imo.

First of all, the skill levels of all have drastically changed.
Keith no longer plays at the same level which should be obvious.
Ronnie Wood is no Mick Taylor, and that's not a knock on Ronnie.
Charlie played with a ferocity that is no longer possible.
Mick is more subdued and restrained today than when he was back then.
Back then the keyboards were embellishments, today Chuck is too upfront.
They were playing still new original songs back then while today the newest original song is 30 years old.
The overall energy level back then was off the charts like a raging thunderstorm, while today they're more like a nice comfy wool blanket.
The unevenness of back then was due to the out of control energy, while today any unevenness is due to dimninishing skill levels.
Still enjoyable for some, yet very different on so many levels.

Hairball. We've met and I like you, but I have some questions:

When did you last attend a show from the pit?
Do you play an instrument?
Do you not understand how the technology has improved over the years?

The overall energy back then was off the charts? No, it wasn't. It was a drug infused sloppy mess, with bad amplification and crappy PA systems. When was your first show? Comfy wool blanket? Did you wander into this thread by mistake?

Anyone who was not present at this show has no place being in this thread.

Date: May 25, 2018 04:53

roller99
Hairball
To compare Brussels era Stones vs. today...a 45 year difference....hmmmm...without saying one is better than the other, there is some obvious differences imo.

They were playing still new original songs back then while today the newest original song is 30 years old.
The overall energy level back then was off the charts like a raging thunderstorm, while today they're more like a nice comfy wool blanket.
The unevenness of back then was due to the out of control energy, while today any unevenness is due to dimninishing skill levels.

The overall energy back then was off the charts? No, it wasn't. It was a drug infused sloppy mess, with bad amplification and crappy PA systems. When was your first show? Comfy wool blanket? Did you wander into this thread by mistake?

-Last time I was in the PIT was Desert Trip - just two years ago.
-Yes I play guitar, and have played for over 40 years.
- My first Stones show was in 1981 at L.A. Coliseum (both nights)and have seen them 54 times since then - including clubs, theaters, arenas, and stadiums.
As for the rest of your complaint/comment: "Anyone who was not present at this show has no place being in this thread" - this is an open forum for all members and always has been.
If you can't tell the difference in the quality of playing and overall energetic performances between the Brussels era Stones vs. the Stones of today, don't know what to tell you other than listen to recordings of both.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 25, 2018 04:58

roller99
Hairball

Sloppy mess? What a load of rubbish! It was the pinnacle of live Rock'n'Roll.

Date: May 25, 2018 05:01

I think Redhotcarpet summed it up well:

"Sometimes fans who love what they perform today say that there are bad versions of songs in 1972 or 1973 but cmon they were overall so incredibly better then that you cant really compare. Different bands, almost different genres of music. 1973 was the greatest live act ever in the history of rock. 1972 too. 2018 is a better version of 2017 which was horrible. To me they sound a lot better now than last year. But 1973 is something else. They could @#$%& up anything back then and it wouldnt matter".

To which Dandelion replied:

"No one disagrees with that, and I'm not even comparing. Merely pointing out that they were uneven back then, too".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 05:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2018 05:15

roller99

That right there is just about the most offensive, antagonizing thing I've ever read on this forum.

People so full of themselves they feel entitled to elevate themselves above other fans.

Because of the price of a concert ticket.

The fan police.

Some people think they own the Stones.

"But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me..."

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 25, 2018 05:26

MonkeyMan2000
A lot of people who were not at the shows seem sour because they didn't take the chance. You're a fool if you go to a Stones show expecting tight musicianship and a band playing flawlessly. Their shows are about much more than just the playing (which is the only thing that can be judged by recordings/videos). Actually the atmosphere plays a much more important role at how memorable a show is.
Personally I go to a Tomatito concert when I want to see exceptional guitar playing and I go to a Vulfpeck show if I want to see an unbelievably tight band. But I go to a Stones show to have fun and after all they still hold the only key to their sound as a journalist recently put it.

It's not about the occasional flaw here and there (which, btw, seemed to appear to a much lesser degree "back then" compared to nowadays. And "tight musicianship"? I hear a lot of exactly that in the recordings from back then. Not like a group of musicians playing together certain songs (and needing signs from the keyboarder to mark changes all too often!), but a group of musicians sounding like one, with an almost dream-like understanding. That was the art of the Stones for me, that was the magic. It's not totally gone, it sometimes even happens live in concert here and there (Fonda Theatre may be just one example), and in the studio ("Blue And Lonesome"). If record sales would still generate considerable income, I am pretty sure they would by now concentrate their energy on studio work, avoid the greatest hits live shows and, in case they're still keen to play live, would present shows that were artistically much more demanding, and in the end, more satisfying for them - and most probably for a lot of us fans.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: May 25, 2018 05:35

stonehearted
roller99

That right there is just about the most offensive, antagonizing thing I've ever read on this forum.

People so full of themselves they feel entitled to elevate themselves above other fans.

Because of the price of a concert ticket.

The fan police.

Some people think they own the Stones.

"But, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me..."

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 25, 2018 07:42

These live show threads are as predictable as the sun rising and setting... as the same old full of themselves usual suspects come in long after the show is over to blather their same old nit picking BS about this that and the other... blah blah blah... not as good yadda yadda... same old meaningless sht posted in every live show thread for 15 years.

These same old usual suspects who have stated many times that they are done seeing the band live, don't like anything they have recorded in 30 years... but still show up here to blather their nonsense and defend their right to do so... same thing been going on for 15 years.

Its only rock and roll... period.
The Stones are still rocking and rolling, playing well, playing great songs,
selling 40,000-100,000 tickets to every show and 99% of attendees are delighted... period

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 25, 2018 07:45

"do a melody of their greatest songs"...

lol... that's one of the lamest things I have read here....
that is one of the lamest things I have ever read anywhere

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 25, 2018 08:43

police fan is really bad, and everyone is entitled to any opinion but if I should come here basically to contribute with just the same fundamental criticism to the band in what is in the end a "fan forum", I would ask myself some questions. What am I doing here? dont think the the musical world ends with the stones, exspecially in 2018, plenty of great music out there to be passionate and positive and/or critical about

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 08:44 by maumau.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 25, 2018 09:43

Stoneage
I'm fed up by warhorses like JJFlash, Brown Sugar and satisfaction. Heard them a hundred times to many.

Yeah. Same with the wife.hot smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 25, 2018 09:51

maumau
dont think the the musical world ends with the stones

I see what you mean. But think about it: Your musical world might not end with the Stones. But for other people Stones music makes their life.
For me: I have never ever heard a song like the studio version of Midnight Rambler (or Brussels) that blows me away like that. My musical world is big ranging from Mozart to Type O Negative to DMB to Nick Cave to the Beatles.
But for me it ends right there: Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 25, 2018 10:10

schwonek
maumau
dont think the the musical world ends with the stones

I see what you mean. But think about it: Your musical world might not end with the Stones. But for other people Stones music makes their life.
For me: I have never ever heard a song like the studio version of Midnight Rambler (or Brussels) that blows me away like that. My musical world is big ranging from Mozart to Type O Negative to DMB to Nick Cave to the Beatles.
But for me it ends right there: Midnight Rambler.

smileys with beer I do hear what you mean, same here and that's why I keep coming here. though the Stones makes me mad or sad sometimes for what they do or don't. As soon as I hear MR that gives me a thrill that is unique, but my first thought is not Brussels 1973 at all, but that thrill.

It is a bit like love or maybe A LOT like a love story. I am asking: what if, for a long time, ALL you can think of your partner is how good, fun and smart she was 30 years ago?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 27 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home