Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 25 of 30
Re: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Date: May 24, 2018 09:15

retired_dog
Testify
Stoneage
Who are you talking to, Testify?
With all those who compare the Rolling Stones of the 70s and 80s with today's Rolling Stones.

Well, when the Stones manager recently claimed "they're still getting better" and "Keith would agree" nobody here was the least bit upset...or do you really believe that?

Better at some things, poorer at other things. I'm sure we can agree on that?

For example, Mick sings way better today than on Brussels Affairs, but the sound of his voice is poorer.

Another example, the sound is more dynamic and less one-dimensional today. It doesn't make it "better", but different.

And Charlie had yet to develop his style in 1973 (for better or worse).

Calling all the songs played in London "awful" is not really a contribution to a debate about the music, imo. At least, one should clarify why songs like SFM, REOD, FTC or MR were bad.

It's the arrogant "fvck you-attitude" I react upon, not that people in any way should agree with me or others at the show.

That goes for other people earlier in the thread, not you retired dog.

Sorry for the little rant smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 24, 2018 09:27

I get you Maumau...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 24, 2018 10:29

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Testify
Stoneage
Who are you talking to, Testify?
With all those who compare the Rolling Stones of the 70s and 80s with today's Rolling Stones.

Well, when the Stones manager recently claimed "they're still getting better" and "Keith would agree" nobody here was the least bit upset...or do you really believe that?

Better at some things, poorer at other things. I'm sure we can agree on that?

For example, Mick sings way better today than on Brussels Affairs, but the sound of his voice is poorer.

Another example, the sound is more dynamic and less one-dimensional today. It doesn't make it "better", but different.

And Charlie had yet to develop his style in 1973 (for better or worse).

Calling all the songs played in London "awful" is not really a contribution to a debate about the music, imo. At least, one should clarify why songs like SFM, REOD, FTC or MR were bad.

It's the arrogant "fvck you-attitude" I react upon, not that people in any way should agree with me or others at the show.

That goes for other people earlier in the thread, not you retired dog.

Sorry for the little rant smiling smiley

Now thát's what I call: a post.
Hear, hear!

Date: May 24, 2018 10:36

stargroover

Sorry to say but they need a new drummer.
I love you Charlie but it's time to call it a day.

I think I just experienced what is commonly known as 'a brain fart'.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 10:40

White drummers don't swing, except for Charlie Watts (Keith Richards)

The Rolling Stones without Charlie Watts? Impossible (Mick Jagger)

Charlie is good tonight

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 11:01 by 1962.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 24, 2018 11:20

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Fool to Cry is the weak link of the show imo, and in the video posted seemed like a buzz kill for a majority of the crowd.
Almost would prefer the more up-tempo Emotional Rescue w/falsetto (God forbid), but nah....at least Fool has a cool '70's groove going for it.

It was a highlight, and people went crazy when Mick stopped singing and towards the ending, as we also can hear in the YT-video..

I guess that depends if you like the song in the first place.
Not one of my favorites by a long shot, and probably the weakest track on Black and Blue IMO.

Well, I have never been very fond of Fool To Cry, it's not the weakest on B&B (that's either Hot Stuff, Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby or Memory Hotel) but it's a song I could easily never listen to again. But the live version I heard on YouTube of the London concert is rather good, I think, and I think I would have enjoyed it when I'd have been at the concert myself.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 24, 2018 11:25

snorton
Here is a much closer SFM

[www.youtube.com]

It's a good version, so much is true.
But I will never really understand the enthusiasm for this song. The studio album is sort of ok because of the production and I can see how it might be enjoyable, but it's nothing special, too simple, the voice copying the guitar riff and the guitar riff too basic, almost like a "Open Tuning Lesson 1" instruction song.
I am not saying this to annoy, just curious. What am I missing? (Ok, fair enough, the lyrics are okay).

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 24, 2018 11:26

Stoneage
I guess the thing is that if you went to the concert you have invested time, money and love into it. Then you don't want to hear someone who have seen a 45 seconds long clip on Youtube
in poor audience quality telling you that it wasn't worth the effort. Quite understandable. I do understand that reaction.

Really? It never bothers me when I read posts on a Stones Forum saying the Stones suck in concert. It seems to me that if they are here, then they are probably genuine fans, and ironically, it probably makes them feel a bit better if they can tell themselves it wasn't worth going. I can understand that feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 11:27 by drbryant.

Date: May 24, 2018 11:53

Once again, I agree with Dandelion.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:00

The point is clear: if you love a Stones show nowadays you are a poor delusional and childish mind that does not want to hear/see the truth, that some here generously offerwith the support of YT videos as evidence, on and on and on and on

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:09

I hear you Dandelion. You have a valid point there. But to dissect this would take to much time and space. Where is Doxa?

Date: May 24, 2018 12:29

Instead of bickering, I'll post my review here:

The Stones at their home turf, kicking off with Street Fighting Man – it doesn’t get better than that! We were all taken by surprise, and the sheer power of the song, combined with its London references, really did the trick.

London Stadium was beautiful, and the logistics worked pretty well. The sound was a bit passing (from General Admission, right in front of the yellow tents). However, what we heard was crisp and clear, and I was glad to hear Darryl loud and clear. That isn’t always the case.

Highlights of the evening were Street Fighting Man, Ride ‘Em On Down, a jawdroppingly beautiful Fool To Cry and (surprisingly) Sympathy For The Devil.

Keith had some sound problems when he was about to kick off Midnight Rambler. The sound came and went. Something with the wireless sound system wobbled, and he finally plugged in a cable to make sure the sound was right. Apart from the halting start, Rambler developed to be quite a showstopper: The boys went into new territories during the song, like only the Stones can. However, the fabulous mid-section was somewhat tainted by Mick starting a singalong, suspisciously similar to a Police-track I can’t remember here and now («…Ee, yaw, yaw, yaw…»).

Keith’s set was good, but not great. He had some trouble hitting the high notes this time, but his performance was heartfelt and soulful, as always.

For the nerds: Keith dropped his pick a few times (on Honky Tonk Women and Slipping Away, among others), leading to a few licks missing here and there. For guitar players that can be a nightmare, but Keith took it with a huge grin on his face.

It was good seeing the boys in London, and everybody could tell they loved every minute of it themselves.

Ron Wood had a fabulous night, and played like a God on the songs where he takes the solos. Ride ‘Em On Down and Fool To Cry were particularly good. Mick Jagger is immortal and is singing really well these days. Keith had a great night. Charlie’s sound faded a bit in and out, but what I heard was solid.

A great night, and a fabulous show!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 12:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:35

matxil
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Fool to Cry is the weak link of the show imo, and in the video posted seemed like a buzz kill for a majority of the crowd.
Almost would prefer the more up-tempo Emotional Rescue w/falsetto (God forbid), but nah....at least Fool has a cool '70's groove going for it.

It was a highlight, and people went crazy when Mick stopped singing and towards the ending, as we also can hear in the YT-video..

I guess that depends if you like the song in the first place.
Not one of my favorites by a long shot, and probably the weakest track on Black and Blue IMO.

Well, I have never been very fond of Fool To Cry, it's not the weakest on B&B (that's either Hot Stuff, Negrita, Cherry Oh Baby or Memory Hotel) but it's a song I could easily never listen to again. But the live version I heard on YouTube of the London concert is rather good, I think, and I think I would have enjoyed it when I'd have been at the concert myself.

Yeah... I only marginally like Fool to Cry (I don't like ballads from any band) and I did enjoy it. Live music is always a joy to me.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:41

My review here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:51

It's interesting how uneven the Stones are nowadays. Listening to this show on youtube, a few songs like Street Fighting Man are really well performed and powerful, while Satisfaction is probably the worst version I've heard and Jumping Jack Flash is subpar.

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs, while those who were at the concert heard all songs (including the highlights) and therefore got a different impression.

Date: May 24, 2018 12:51

Thanks for posting, Dandy and Johnny.

Date: May 24, 2018 12:53

TheBlockbuster
It's interesting how uneven the Stones are nowadays. Listening to this show on youtube, a few songs like Street Fighting Man are really well performed and powerful, while Satisfaction is probably the worst version I've heard and Jumping Jack Flash is subpar.

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs, while those who were at the concert heard all songs (including the highlights) and therefore got a different impression.

Even on Brussels Affair, JJF and ADTL are subpar. We forget that the Stones have always been a bit like that: "uneven".

I think one reason the youtube-critics are so quick to dismiss the show as crap is becasuse they just listened to one or two songs

I think you're right here.

Date: May 24, 2018 12:59

I think time is an element here. When I go back and listen to "Brussels" for example I do not find it as good as I did then. I see the flaws more clearly now. I didn't then. Time changes the perspective.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 24, 2018 13:03

dnewton99
Live music is always a joy to me.

What a sentence...
I completely agree with you!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2018 13:15

Thank you very much dnewton99 for your clips in youtube. I usually don't pay much attention to that sort of stuff, but yours was exceptional by all means, and I discovered myself being hooked to watch every clip from the start to the end...

It was really interesting to check Jagger working so close up. Clearly his energy level and physicality has lowered since, say, just four years ago (he was simply incredible in that sense during European Tour 2014, probably his last triumph as a physical super man), the 'fall' starting last year, but that doesn't mean he is getting any worse. No, I think that constant running and jumping around, over-emphasizing every move, has been replaced by a more 'stylistic', more nuanced, 'lesser is better' kind of physical presence, which allows more concentration into his vocal duties. His charisma hasn't faded away at all, actually this kind of new 'seriuosness' gives him some new credibility. It is interesting to see how one can 'grow up' (to age) within the Jaggerian showman universe. He is doing rather well at the moment I think.

It was especially great to see his work in "Fool To Cry" and "Paint It Black". Especially the latter was a stellar performance. It was one of those numbers Jagger had pretty much difficulties how to deliver it when they started to play it again in 1989 (he was so different person as the young rebel who once aggressively interpreted it in 1966). But he is getting more and more comfortable with it, and I would say that he is now finally doing the song justice - nicely mixing the old song and its Swingin' London gestures with his 'latter day self'. He has a right tone in his aged voice which he doesn't rely on over-nasality (I made a similar observation in regards to "Under My Thumb" last year). Seemingly he has nowadays more difficulties with the traditional rocker show highlights - "Flash", "Brown Sugar", etc. - which are so much based on his physicality and high energy-level, and which seem to ask more and more some sort of routine tricks to give the ageless Jagger impression.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 15:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 24, 2018 13:43

Doxa
Thank you very much dnewton99 for your clips in youtube. I usually don't pay much attention to that sort of stuff, but yours was exceptional by all means, and I discovered myself being hooked to watch every clip from the start to beginning...

It was really interesting to check Jagger working so close up. Clearly his energy level and physicality has lowered since, say, just four years ago (he was simply incredible in that sense during European Tour 2014, probably his last triumph as a physical super man), the 'fall' starting last year, but that doesn't mean he is getting any worse. No, I think that constant running and jumping around, over-emphasizing every move, has been replaced by a more 'stylistic', more nuanced, 'lesser is better' kind of physical presence, which allows more concentration into his vocal duties. His charisma hasn't faded away at all, actually this kind of new 'seriuosness' gives him some new credibility. It is interesting to see how one can 'grow up' (to age) within the Jaggerian showman universe. He is doing rather well at the moment I think.

It was especially great to see his work in "Fool To Cry" and "Paint It Black". Especially the latter was a stellar performance. It was one of those numbers Jagger had pretty much difficulties how to deliver it when they started to play it again in 1989 (he was so different person as the young rebel who once aggressively interpreted it in 1966). But he is getting more and more comfortable with it, and I would say that he is now finally doing the song justice - nicely mixing the old song and its Swingin' London gestures with his 'latter day self'. He has a right tone in his aged voice which he doesn't rely on over-nasality (I made a similar observation in regards to "Under My Thumb" last year). Seemingly he has nowadays more difficulties with the traditional rocker show highlights - "Flash", "Brown Sugar", etc. - which are so much based on his physicality and high energy-level, and which seem to ask more and more some sort of routine tricks to give the ageless Jagger impression.

- Doxa

some very convincing points in here
thanks

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 24, 2018 13:49

maumau
The point is clear: if you love a Stones show nowadays you are a poor delusional and childish mind that does not want to hear/see the truth, that some here generously offerwith the support of YT videos as evidence, on and on and on and on

Yep. That sums it up. I am a poor delusional. Just like Keith. :-)

Date: May 24, 2018 13:51

schwonek
maumau

And I have indeed a very childish mind..

Date: May 24, 2018 13:53

Don't worry, some say delusional people are happier than others!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2018 13:54

DandelionPowderman

Even on Brussels Affair, JJF and ADTL are subpar. We forget that the Stones have always been a bit like that: "uneven".

eye popping smiley

If those are "subpar" then the level of the highlights needs to go beyond any comprehensible criterion - or anything they have done since, say, 1989 can be classified as pure crap.

Inspired by your post, I re-listened those two Brussels songs, which was a huge mistake: what a great reminder, once again, what an incredible force of nature this band used to be at their peak, and how apologetic and contextualistic one needs to be in order to appreciate the band in its recent condition. The difference in quality is just.... goes beyond words..

But I guess one needs such reality checks once in a while... so thanks a lot guys for bringing up BRUSSELS AFFAIR into discussion concerning London show 2018... I guess my 'following' (behind the laptop) the recent tour stopped right here... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 14:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 14:08

@Doxa : thumbs upsmileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: May 24, 2018 14:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 15:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: May 24, 2018 14:20

schwonek
maumau

So am I.

Date: May 24, 2018 14:21

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

eye popping smiley

If those are "subpar" then the level of the highlights needs to go beyond any comprehensible criterion - or anything they have done since, say, 1989 can be classified as pure crap.

Inspired by your post, I re-listened those two Brussels songs, which was a huge mistake: what a great reminder, once again, what an incredible force of nature this band used to be at their peak, and how apologetic and contextualistic one needs to be in order to appreciate the band in its recent condition. The difference in quality is just.... goes beyond words..

But I guess one needs such reality checks once in a while... so thanks a lot guys for bringing up BRUSSELS AFFAIR into discussion concerning London show 2018... I guess my 'following' (behind the laptop) the recent tour stopped right here... grinning smiley

- Doxa

It depends what kind of quality you are looking for. To me, JJF sound detached from everything I treasure in that song: the vocals, Keith's playing - it's all wrong for me.

ADTL is easier. They did two trainwrecks on the Brussels-shows, hence they spliced them into one on the official release.

So, when Keith plays the Satisfaction-riff in the wrong place of the song for 5 seconds - we should think again before we call it a car crash. It's not even a punctured tyre! It has happened before smiling smiley

PS: As some may know, I have studied The Brussels Affair closely the last weeks. As a show (well, two songs and a guitar solo is from the 1st show) it's fantastic. However, there definitely are subpar moments – even on Brussels Affair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 14:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 24, 2018 14:37

bobo
schwonek
maumau

So am I.

Aren't we all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 25 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home