Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 30
Re: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 23, 2018 23:59

keithsman
Testify
stargroover
keithsman
Is it just me but the show the other night in Dublin and now again tonight, Charlies drums sound very weak to me.
Sorry to say but they need a new drummer.
I love you Charlie but it's time to call it a day.

Sounds like you need to get your hearing tested for starters.What a lot of old tosh!
The criticism should be motivated, I have already asked several times, where Charlie was wrong and I had no answer, so I still do not understand this criticism.
When Keth was criticized in some concerts it was because of his mistakes, but I did not notice Charlie's mistakes.

Yes i said several times that he doesn't appear to hit the drums as hard and he seems to slow up the pace of the rockers, i actually apologized many times since i said that on this thread, i just want to move on now, we all say things we shouldn't at times without thinking.
I love Charlie i would hate to offend him.
I think he will speed up a bit as he goes along.
You are making a big mistake. maybe because you do not know anything about drums, Charlie is a jazz drummer so he knows the volumes that are very complicated in jazz, while in rock they are not a problem, you can beat weak on the snare because the amplification allows it. Each volume adjustment is based on how much a drummer hits the tanburi. Regarding the rhythm of the songs, this is a decision of the band, I do not think it is dictated by Charlie, I assure you that it is harder for a drummer to play I Got The Blues than Neighbors. Of all the members of the Stones I think Charlie is the one who makes the least mistakes.
I hope that the concept of what I mean to say is understood, I am not a native English speaker, so forgive me for the mistakes. A greeting.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:01

redkev
sjs12
I've only just had the opportunity to sit down and watch some youtube vids of last night. It certainly looks from my screen like they played better than in Dublin and probably better than last year in general. I still think they played better at Hyde Park a few years back but it's hard to tell given the more pro production given to Sweet Summer Sun.

I'm hoping they'll be really HOT by the time I get to see them in Southampton. (Same goes for the weather.)

For me personally they were infinitely better last night than Hyde Park 6th July. The reduced volume level in Hyde Park makes a massive difference. Last night the bass level was immense and, in my view, that's what gives any live music its power. The guitars perhaps could have been a little louder in the mix last night but generally it was a world of difference from Hyde Park.

In terms of actual performance level as opposed to volume and sound quality, there was a few mistakes last night but they really didn't impact in any great way and were far outweighed by the overall experience. I'm guessing maybe you're referring to the DVD of Hyde Park which will no doubt have had overdubs - not least to cover up Keith's SMU intro!

If they play as good as last night in Southampton you will not be disappointed smileys with beer

I hope so. Can't wait!

I was there at both Hyde Park shows. I thought the sound was really good where I was (GA about 20 "rows" back or so. If they can play as good as they did then (which was better than I ever saw them in 2006) then I'm a happy man.

Worst sound for me was 2003 Paris SDF which was frankly almost inaudible near the B stage. Wembley Arena was never great sounding either, although very loud. Getting it loud without awful echos is an art! (And a science)

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:14

"The guardian's review is exactly how I felt the last times I saw them"

To be honest,Maumau, I have the impression that Guardian's review, which it's not the most enthusiastic among other articles published on UK Press, is more positive for the Stones than your comments are.

You basically say: "Actually, I don't care about how they are on stage, I just feel happy seeing them".
Guardian basically says: "These old devils are still really good in stage".

Notable difference, I would say.

Personally, I'm with... both of you: Feeling happy because they are still with us, feeling happy and proud because they remain an excellent, charming band.

winking smileyRe: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:18

Koen
HomerSimpson
strat72
I really wish BV would delete all reviews made by dickheads who were not at the show, but are basing their worthless drivel on shitty youtube clips recorded on shitty phones.

If you weren't at the gig.......... STFU please.

How bout if you STFU. I’m not going to be referred to as a “dickhead” because I have comments or feedback based on what I see online. And no one else who comments deserves that either.

Maybe we should ask BV to delete comments made by dickheads or @#$%& such as yourself.

People are entitled to form opinions and comment on them without having been at the show. And if you don’t like it - here’s a brilliant idea - DON’T F***ing read it.

I prefer SFTD over STFU.

LOL. winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:25

enthusiastic reviews again:

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.nme.com]

[www.standard.co.uk]

[inews.co.uk]

And another enthusiastic review from the American magazine Variety (though the writer's not very kind to Keith):

Rolling Stones Return to London for First Hometown Show in Five Years

"It’s refreshing that the guys aren’t phoning it in and playing the same hits every night. And to be fair,
they sound better than they have in years, though you have to wonder how much longer they can go".

Date: May 24, 2018 00:27

strat72
It is very encouraging to hear that the band is in fine form from the people who actually attended the show. People that I know who were there confirm everything that people have posted here. Great stuff from Yhe Stones...... Good review from The Standatd also.

I'll take those people at their word, as opposed to the type of poster that says Charlie should be replaced based on a video they saw on Youtube that was recorded with a potato. We can take those opinions with a pinch of salt.

That’s why they’re called “opinions”. You don’t have to agree with them but guess what??? People enjoy discussing the shows even if they weren’t there personally!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:43

Testify
You are making a big mistake. maybe because you do not know anything about drums, Charlie is a jazz drummer so he knows the volumes that are very complicated in jazz, while in rock they are not a problem, you can beat weak on the snare because the amplification allows it. Each volume adjustment is based on how much a drummer hits the tanburi. Regarding the rhythm of the songs, this is a decision of the band, I do not think it is dictated by Charlie, I assure you that it is harder for a drummer to play I Got The Blues than Neighbors. Of all the members of the Stones I think Charlie is the one who makes the least mistakes.
I hope that the concept of what I mean to say is understood, I am not a native English speaker, so forgive me for the mistakes. A greeting.

Keithsman.
Not to worry Testify, you explain it very well, i think i jumped in too quick yesterday with my flippant remark about Charlie, iv'e been watching youtube clips for an hour or so tonight and Charlie was great last night compared to Dublin.

Satisfaction was a bit of a train wreck but most of the show was excellent seeing as it was only the second gig.
You are right , i am not a drummer and i don't understand the intricacies of drumming that well.
If you go back to say 2003 Charlie was noticeably more powerful than today, its impossible for any of them to play like they did then with the exception of Ronnie who was getting better until this tour.
I don't need to be a drummer to to know what i hear with my own ears, the tempos of the rockers are definitely slower the last few years, that's ok , its understandable but i can't help but feel frustrated sometimes, i want them to rock harder, i expect too much from them, i want keith to move like he did 20 years ago,, i want the impossible winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 01:00 by keithsman.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 24, 2018 00:48

Well...ok...you shouldn´t trust your ears? A Brussels affair might be pure shite then...because I wasn´t THERE to feel the atmosphere? I HEAR what I hear...and there´s a bloody BIG difference between 1973 and 2018! I´m VERY capable of hearing what´s good or not!

Date: May 24, 2018 00:55

HomerSimpson
strat72
It is very encouraging to hear that the band is in fine form from the people who actually attended the show. People that I know who were there confirm everything that people have posted here. Great stuff from Yhe Stones...... Good review from The Standatd also.

I'll take those people at their word, as opposed to the type of poster that says Charlie should be replaced based on a video they saw on Youtube that was recorded with a potato. We can take those opinions with a pinch of salt.

That’s why they’re called “opinions”. You don’t have to agree with them but guess what??? People enjoy discussing the shows even if they weren’t there personally!

I think when people are actually at the gig the emotion of the spectacle and the atmosphere of the crowd cover up mistakes we see at home.
I agree its wrong for people to say mistakes on youtube are not mistakes, of course they are, but when someone is dancing and moving to the music , maybe even singing along after a few beers, they are not going to care abut tiny mistakes miss cue's and missed beats.
But we here on iorr have the right to comment and disagree, personally i thought Hyde park 2013 was way better than last night winking smiley It was at the end of a tour so its unfair to compare, Paint It Black was epic at Hyde Park compared to last night, what went against Hyde Park was the sound volume was too low.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2018 01:00

Gazza
dnewton99
mine are going up here.. slowly [www.youtube.com]

Superb job. Thanks to you and all the others who uploaded these great clips

Keith in HTW at "for a ride" totally misses the lick after sliding a wrong one in - and then Mick turns around and gives him a look.

Hilarious!

Date: May 24, 2018 01:05

GasLightStreet
Gazza
dnewton99
mine are going up here.. slowly [www.youtube.com]

Superb job. Thanks to you and all the others who uploaded these great clips

Keith in HTW at "for a ride" totally misses the lick after sliding a wrong one in - and then Mick turns around and gives him a look.

Hilarious!

Oh My God that was so funny, maybe Keith had a drink with Liam before the show winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 01:06 by keithsman.

Date: May 24, 2018 01:08

maumau
UMT is not comparable to the 1981/82's live version
and I mean it thoroughly and in general: energy, speed and whatever but also
what for?
if I had to listen to these shows comparing it to 81 or whenever in the past, I would simply quit listening to the Rolling Stones, or simply wish they (would have) quit.
in this I am with those who say: enjoy the present for what it is
cheer!
because actually, if you think how those guys roll in their middle seventies is quite baffling
we can celebrate the greater creativity of other old acts like Neil Young for einstance. And I do, I did love the live set of him with the promised of the real, but hey, those are a bunch of young musicians in their prime.
the stones are, for the better and the worse, for the magic and the flaws, on a different league

Listen to the lyrics on the London UMT and it will be worth it. Trust me grinning smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 24, 2018 01:15

Bjorn
...and there´s a bloody BIG difference between 1973 and 2018!

...wait...got it..45 years and counting...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 24, 2018 01:21

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Silver Dagger
Have they ever opened with Street Fighting Man before?
lots of times. i think all the arena gigs on the licks tour.
Yep, I was there opening night at Boston in 2002 and they opened with SFM...it was a killer opener.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 24, 2018 02:16

I guess the thing is that if you went to the concert you have invested time, money and love into it. Then you don't want to hear someone who have seen a 45 seconds long clip on Youtube
in poor audience quality telling you that it wasn't worth the effort. Quite understandable. I do understand that reaction.

Posted by: TheBlackRose ()
Date: May 24, 2018 02:19

Some photos of this amazing show!!!

Date: May 24, 2018 02:26

Stoneage
I guess the thing is that if you went to the concert you have invested time, money and love into it. Then you don't want to hear someone who have seen a 45 seconds long clip on Youtube
in poor audience quality telling you that it wasn't worth the effort. Quite understandable. I do understand that reaction.

How does someone’s opinion matter? If you went to the show, spent money and had an awesome time, that’s great. If someone watches a 45 second clip and rips the band to shreds based on that, how does this in any way diminish your memories or the great time you had? Ignore it.

What if based on the 45 second clip someone raves about how awesome it sounds? Does this make a difference? Do you now feel better about yourself because an anonymous internet commentator agrees with you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 02:29 by HomerSimpson.

Date: May 24, 2018 02:30

Sure Homer. I didn't go to the concert - I was just trying to put forward that I do understand people reacting like that.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 24, 2018 02:31

TheBlackRose
Some photos of this amazing show!!!

Amazing photos from an amazing show, again.

This is a great photo, thanks for sharing. smileys with beer

Date: May 24, 2018 02:35

Is it just me or doesn't Keith look more and more happy the older he gets? Good for him! He should play Happy on every gig!

Date: May 24, 2018 02:42

If you think of comparing the Stones of 2018 to those of the 70s - 80s it makes no sense, in life you need a bit of realism! Nobody here says that they are the same thing, but they are still the Rolling Stones and they still play incredibly decently, the youngest is 70 years old. I would like to see you....

Date: May 24, 2018 02:46

Who are you talking to, Testify?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 24, 2018 02:55

I think the Guardian summed up quite well what the Stones shows are about nowadays:

"In a world of stadium rock shows where every note seems perfectly choreographed and nothing is left to chance, it’s authentically thrilling and raw."

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 24, 2018 03:10

kowalski
I think the Guardian summed up quite well what the Stones shows are about nowadays:

"In a world of stadium rock shows where every note seems perfectly choreographed and nothing is left to chance, it’s authentically thrilling and raw."

[www.theguardian.com]

*that is a fantastic quote, thanks link/ will read.
I’ve been out and off all day after being very high on England open and ‘Fool To Cry’
My opinion:
It just feels like an incredibly strong England open! It’s ON :-)

Date: May 24, 2018 03:21

Found some Jagger funnies:

“We had a street party on Saturday,” Mick Jagger the unlikely knight tells his first London audience for five years, in one of several arch royal wedding references. “Keith made the sandwiches. Charlie was on the tea-urn. Ronnie was playing his gypsy tunes…”

Read more at: [inews.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 03:22 by 35love.

Date: May 24, 2018 03:22

Stoneage
With all those who compare the Rolling Stones of the 70s and 80s with today's Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2018 03:52

HomerSimpson
Stoneage

How does someone’s opinion matter? If you went to the show, spent money and had an awesome time, that’s great. If someone watches a 45 second clip and rips the band to shreds based on that, how does this in any way diminish your memories or the great time you had? Ignore it.

What if based on the 45 second clip someone raves about how awesome it sounds? Does this make a difference? Do you now feel better about yourself because an anonymous internet commentator agrees with you?

There's alot of glee and euphoria for those basking in the afterglow of a show they were just at, as well as alot of sensitivity if anything is said that goes against their personal experience. I know firsthand as I've been floating in ecstasy many times after a Stones show thinking it was a flawless performance. Then when the dust settles and reality sets in, you remember certain "boo boo's" that happened - Keith screwed up an intro , Ronnie butchered a solo, Mick sounded whiney, etc., etc., etc. This is when youtube videos can sometimes be helpful, because when you revisit something you thought was perfect while at the show, well the evidence in the video is clear and obvious that it was really bordering on catastrophic. While there's some of us who weren't at a particular show who like to comment and critique shows via youtube, bootlegs, etc. (that's what this forum is for isn't it?), there's no question it's nothing like being there in person soaking in the vibe and the energy of the entire atmosphere. That said, I've read a few "best show since...", "top five show ever" comments posted within hours of the show ending, and can only wonder if some of these folks will feel the same when reality sets back in and the dust has settled (and they have a chance to hear or see some of the playback evidence).

Looking forward to Fridays show, and hopefully there will be some sort of live stream for those of us not actually there. If that fails, we'll have plenty of youtube videos posted after the fact that can be dissected, critiqued, praised, and/or trashed. And for those who are actually at the show, enjoy yourselves as there's nothing quite like the experience of being at a proper Rolling Stones concert where all of the key members are happy and healthy - even if it's a subpar performance. Look forward to the reviews!

Date: May 24, 2018 05:17

Blah Blah Blah

I just watched a close up about 30 seconds was all I could handle,
OPEN with ‘Street Fighting Man’
Jagger ran out and jumped into the air then turned around
the aggression and force
if you can’t feel that,
I am very sorry.
I thought F me this is the force and look of the greatest frontman/ band/ ENGLAND

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 24, 2018 05:22

Testify
Stoneage
With all those who compare the Rolling Stones of the 70s and 80s with today's Rolling Stones.

Well, when the Stones manager recently claimed "they're still getting better" and "Keith would agree" nobody here was the least bit upset...or do you really believe that?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 24, 2018 09:05

laertisflash
"The guardian's review is exactly how I felt the last times I saw them"

To be honest,Maumau, I have the impression that Guardian's review, which it's not the most enthusiastic among other articles published on UK Press, is more positive for the Stones than your comments are.

You basically say: "Actually, I don't care about how they are on stage, I just feel happy seeing them".
Guardian basically says: "These old devils are still really good in stage".

Notable difference, I would say.

Personally, I'm with... both of you: Feeling happy because they are still with us, feeling happy and proud because they remain an excellent, charming band.

Actually I think I am more positive about them that the comment on UMT shows. I btought that example, which is imo undisputable, in the end to say how pointless is the constant and repetitve criticizing of some here who seem to listen with one ear in the present and the other firmly attached to the past, constantly comparing what is, imo, not comparable.
I actually dig lot of the clips I saw of the london show, and I think they sounded pretty good. But as I cant stand the naysayers that bait them just on the basis of the setlist or shaky videos with shaky audio, I just dont feel like praising too much without having been there.
what I hear is just enough for me to
cheer smileys with beer

about TheGuardian review, someone else quoted here a passage that also for me is the very truth about the band nowadays: a big corporate show (that somehow "demands" a warhorses setlist) that is completely different from the "preprogrammed" and "robotic" big shows that we may attend these days in that it is still basically a rock and roll show, with that liveliness and rawness that is at the same time startling and refreshing coming from septuagenarians.

p.s. great photos TheBlackRose!!! thanks

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-24 09:18 by maumau.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home