Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 30
Re: London Stadium show-1 UK 22-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live updates
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 23, 2018 19:32

Bjorn
Well...it sure ain´t 1982 anymore...I wouldn´t listen to this if they threw the bootleg after me...and I got paid...awful versions...

I hear you, Björn. You're not the only one... And do agree somewhat. Which takes some guts on a fan forum I guess...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2018 19:42

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Fool to Cry is the weak link of the show imo, and in the video posted seemed like a buzz kill for a majority of the crowd.
Almost would prefer the more up-tempo Emotional Rescue w/falsetto (God forbid), but nah....at least Fool has a cool '70's groove going for it.

It was a highlight, and people went crazy when Mick stopped singing and towards the ending, as we also can hear in the YT-video..

I guess that depends if you like the song in the first place.
Not one of my favorites by a long shot, and probably the weakest track on Black and Blue IMO.

I meant that the audience loved the version they played yesterday. People were ecstatic.

I understand what you meant, and probably the video I watched didn't give the full impression of the entire audience reaction ( the one I watched showed several people standing w/arms crossed looking a bit emotionless).
But as a personal preference, I thought it was the weak link of the show, and there were probably others who felt the same. Not everybody LOVES Fool to Cry, and there's a good chance that many casual fans don't even know it. Other than that small bump in the road, overall the show looked and sounded like a fantastic show especially opening with SFM- but my opinion is simply based on youtube video and reviews I've read.

Yeah, I was there, Hairball. I'll let others confirm it instead.

Confirm that the show was fantastic, or that people were ecstatic about Fool To Cry?
I don't really need convincing, as either way I'm sure there were those who thought it was great, and those not so much.

As for the show itself, mostly positive reviews that I've seen - though Dean Goodman's review does have some criticism about several issues (as always), but even then sounds like he thought it was generally a good show.
"Regardless of the boo-boos, which seemed to multiply as the night wore on, the Stones just powered through - albeit at 16 rpm speed" - Dean Goodman

As for Fool to Cry, again there's probably some who were just as ecstatic about it as you and others seem to be, and some who were not so moved by it and/or have never even heard of it.
But again, as a personal preference it wouldn't have been a highlight for me. Look at it this way, if I told you I didn't like sushi, and you replied "you should try it at Sams Sushi - everyone loves it and is ecstatic about it",
I can tell you with 100% certainty that I still wouldn't like it and would probably just order a bowl of rice. You can't really force your opinions on someone to persuade them to like something they already dislike, but that's not to say sushi is bad period - some people are ecstatic about it while others aren't.

Stoneage
Bjorn
Well...it sure ain´t 1982 anymore...I wouldn´t listen to this if they threw the bootleg after me...and I got paid...awful versions...

I hear you, Björn. You're not the only one... And do agree somewhat. Which takes some guts on a fan forum I guess...

Indeed.

That said, I'd be happy to listen to the boot if someone paid me - in fact I'd listen to it at least once without getting paid at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-23 19:47 by Hairball.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 23, 2018 19:48

Fool To Cry... Magical! Goosebumps.

Fantasic by the whole band. And a great song!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:08

The you tube videos have the RS playing very well! In fine fettle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-23 20:10 by triceratops.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:10

You can't judge on a YT video smileys with beergrinning smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:13

dnewton99
mine are going up here.. slowly [www.youtube.com]

Superb job. Thanks to you and all the others who uploaded these great clips

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:14

Hairball
powerage78
What a great solo by Wayne Perkins on the studio version.
Love this song, Till The Next Goobye also by the way...

The guitar solo is the saving grace and highlight on the studio version of Fool to Cry, and yes Till the Next Time is a fantastic song.
And even though there's similarities between the two, it's really the superior percursor to Fool. Maybe/hopefully they'll slip it into an upcoming setlist in place of Fool - more surprises are always nice. thumbs up

Very unlikely but they did rehearse it in Ferbruary 2014 in Bondy to everyone's amazement !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:15

HomerSimpson
roller99
They shut off all the freaking cell towers, or they block periscope. Friday I'm coming armed. Great show, Keith was on fire, you could hear Darryl, Mick tore it up.

God forbid something happens. What if there is an emergency situation and cell towers are off?

Yep.. I got a few emails off and on during show but couldn't share a photo on Facebook.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:18

strat72
I really wish BV would delete all reviews made by dickheads who were not at the show, but are basing their worthless drivel on shitty youtube clips recorded on shitty phones.

If you weren't at the gig.......... STFU please.

How bout if you STFU. I’m not going to be referred to as a “dickhead” because I have comments or feedback based on what I see online. And no one else who comments deserves that either.

Maybe we should ask BV to delete comments made by dickheads or @#$%& such as yourself.

People are entitled to form opinions and comment on them without having been at the show. And if you don’t like it - here’s a brilliant idea - DON’T F***ing read it.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:20

Superb show and Keith was great, better than Paris 2.

Only sour point was that my Pit A experience was dampened a bit by the same family who spoilt my pit experience in Paris.

They were guests of the band and just as in Paris they were downing loads of drink and being rude and aggressive to people. They thought they could just push people out of the way because they had the backstage passes - they pushed a woman out from the rail who had been waiting patiently there for ages.

It was a big middle aged bloke, his wife and two adult children. The wife looked like Keith.

Like Gazza said : Hats off to you dnewton99 for capturing parts of the show in beautiful quality. One of the best I've seen in many years. Great colours and sharpness.Thank You!

Posted by: thomashanck ()

fool to cry rehearsals London ...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 23, 2018 20:22

This Fool To Cry goes in the book of highlights from 2012-2018 for me!

Date: May 23, 2018 20:24

Fool to cry sounds fantastic. Proud of them

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:39

Testify
stargroover
keithsman
Is it just me but the show the other night in Dublin and now again tonight, Charlies drums sound very weak to me.
Sorry to say but they need a new drummer.
I love you Charlie but it's time to call it a day.

Sounds like you need to get your hearing tested for starters.What a lot of old tosh!
The criticism should be motivated, I have already asked several times, where Charlie was wrong and I had no answer, so I still do not understand this criticism.
When Keth was criticized in some concerts it was because of his mistakes, but I did not notice Charlie's mistakes.

Yes i said several times that he doesn't appear to hit the drums as hard and he seems to slow up the pace of the rockers, i actually apologized many times since i said that on this thread, i just want to move on now, we all say things we shouldn't at times without thinking.
I love Charlie i would hate to offend him.
I think he will speed up a bit as he goes along.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:50

It is very encouraging to hear that the band is in fine form from the people who actually attended the show. People that I know who were there confirm everything that people have posted here. Great stuff from Yhe Stones...... Good review from The Standatd also.

I'll take those people at their word, as opposed to the type of poster that says Charlie should be replaced based on a video they saw on Youtube that was recorded with a potato. We can take those opinions with a pinch of salt.

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:06

barbabang
Like Gazza said : Hats off to you dnewton99 for capturing parts of the show in beautiful quality. One of the best I've seen in many years. Great colours and sharpness.Thank You!
M
Thank you. But still frustrating how the lights on Mick's face where often super bright and so vids don't capture his face or focus goes off - a couple of times when he was right in front of me.. argg.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:29

I've only just had the opportunity to sit down and watch some youtube vids of last night. It certainly looks from my screen like they played better than in Dublin and probably better than last year in general. I still think they played better at Hyde Park a few years back but it's hard to tell given the more pro production given to Sweet Summer Sun.

I'm hoping they'll be really HOT by the time I get to see them in Southampton. (Same goes for the weather.)

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:44

Ronnierocks
See my full review on www.raysgigs.com

I love that site

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:55

sjs12
I've only just had the opportunity to sit down and watch some youtube vids of last night. It certainly looks from my screen like they played better than in Dublin and probably better than last year in general. I still think they played better at Hyde Park a few years back but it's hard to tell given the more pro production given to Sweet Summer Sun.

I'm hoping they'll be really HOT by the time I get to see them in Southampton. (Same goes for the weather.)

For me personally they were infinitely better last night than Hyde Park 6th July. The reduced volume level in Hyde Park makes a massive difference. Last night the bass level was immense and, in my view, that's what gives any live music its power. The guitars perhaps could have been a little louder in the mix last night but generally it was a world of difference from Hyde Park.

In terms of actual performance level as opposed to volume and sound quality, there was a few mistakes last night but they really didn't impact in any great way and were far outweighed by the overall experience. I'm guessing maybe you're referring to the DVD of Hyde Park which will no doubt have had overdubs - not least to cover up Keith's SMU intro!

If they play as good as last night in Southampton you will not be disappointed smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 23, 2018 21:57

Braincapers
Ronnierocks
See my full review on www.raysgigs.com

I love that site

Me too.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 22:19

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 23, 2018 22:26

UMT is not comparable to the 1981/82's live version
and I mean it thoroughly and in general: energy, speed and whatever but also
what for?
if I had to listen to these shows comparing it to 81 or whenever in the past, I would simply quit listening to the Rolling Stones, or simply wish they (would have) quit.
in this I am with those who say: enjoy the present for what it is
cheer!
because actually, if you think how those guys roll in their middle seventies is quite baffling
we can celebrate the greater creativity of other old acts like Neil Young for einstance. And I do, I did love the live set of him with the promised of the real, but hey, those are a bunch of young musicians in their prime.
the stones are, for the better and the worse, for the magic and the flaws, on a different league

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-23 22:34 by maumau.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 23, 2018 22:43

the guardian's review is exactly how I felt the last times I saw them

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 23, 2018 23:03

HomerSimpson
strat72
I really wish BV would delete all reviews made by dickheads who were not at the show, but are basing their worthless drivel on shitty youtube clips recorded on shitty phones.

If you weren't at the gig.......... STFU please.

How bout if you STFU. I’m not going to be referred to as a “dickhead” because I have comments or feedback based on what I see online. And no one else who comments deserves that either.

Maybe we should ask BV to delete comments made by dickheads or @#$%& such as yourself.

People are entitled to form opinions and comment on them without having been at the show. And if you don’t like it - here’s a brilliant idea - DON’T F***ing read it.

I prefer SFTD over STFU.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: May 23, 2018 23:15

powerage78

At some point you most certainly can judge a musical performance based on a recording. Pro shot vid? Yep, sbd audio? Yep, audience recording using pro field mics? Yep, YouTube shot on a crap phone? Kind of. Now you are never going to catch the vibe in the room that day of a YouTube video, even if proshot, and that’s where most couch listeners fall short in trying to make a critique, but to say someone can’t make an honest assessment of how a band is playing from a purely musical perspective is just false, imho anyway. It’s the old argument...the tape doesn’t reflect what went down in the room that night. It never does...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2018 23:25

dnewton99
This guy stood around me alot taking pics inside the barrier and is in some of my vids (back of his head).. he and his partner (a woman) had All Access passes plus media passes. he was very nice

[kosovotwopointzero.com]

Brian Rasic is one of the very few world leading professional protographers, doing pro shots of concerts and bands. This is his facebook pages:

[www.facebook.com]

Brian Rasic is distributing his photos through the famous agency Getty Images. When The Rolling Stones call upon Brian Rasic to shoot pictures, you are guyaranteed to see world class images from the show. Also, he is a real fasn on The Rolling Stones.

Bjornulf

Date: May 23, 2018 23:26

Right.
I was joking. And it does not matter. But if we respect this reasoning we can not say either that a performance is good on the basis of a YT video.
And I do not comment Stones concerts anymore.

forsure
powerage78

At some point you most certainly can judge a musical performance based on a recording. Pro shot vid? Yep, sbd audio? Yep, audience recording using pro field mics? Yep, YouTube shot on a crap phone? Kind of. Now you are never going to catch the vibe in the room that day of a YouTube video, even if proshot, and that’s where most couch listeners fall short in trying to make a critique, but to say someone can’t make an honest assessment of how a band is playing from a purely musical perspective is just false, imho anyway. It’s the old argument...the tape doesn’t reflect what went down in the room that night. It never does...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-23 23:32 by powerage78.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: May 23, 2018 23:34

Right, I get what your saying, but my point is that at some point, short of being there, one can make, and put forth an educated opinion on whether the band played well on a certain night, I.e live broadcast, pro shot release, etc...there is a line somewhere where the home listener can provide a valid opinion on how the band played. Even with that said, the home listener can’t ever account for the energy in the room, so what sounds like an average show my very well have been off the charts due to the energy in the room that will never be captured on any media.

Date: May 23, 2018 23:43

smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home