Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) great trailer
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 19, 2018 05:17

marianna
Rip This
my understanding is that it isn't a true depiction of his personal life and that its sugarcoated. Dude was special. Doubt he'd go for the whitewashing.

He was private about his private life when he was alive. What would be the point, or the source of the material? "Behind the Candelabra" was very frank about Liberace, and it felt like exploitation. Liberace was a bit creepy, to me, but I felt he didn't deserve that(and the filmmakers had a source for it, at least). I may see this movie, eventually, through a rental. I'm not a big Queen fan to begin with, but it looks like an interesting try.

The thing with any of these is its their own private life. Sure, Freddie's was interesting but thats why I never knew if Borat's approach was right. Just airing it all out there warts and all. Sure we know it, but this is a movie that is then seen by many that don't. Is it truly necessary for the story of their band? Any way its done with Liberace or Freddie, it feels invasive, if they're not here to sign off on it. Brian May can think what he wants, but Freddie lived a very specific life and dealt with it his own way. It wasn't meant to really be a cautionary tale or anything like that. I thought they did well with it here but I agree that in the end it feels invasive. Would any of us really want our private lives, which no one but us really knows, really put up on the silver screens? I get that its in books and maybe isn't secret, but there's something about reenacting it that always feels a tad exploitive.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: November 19, 2018 06:13

I've seen the movie twice and enjoyed it both times. Don't really care about his private life. The only problem I had with the movie was that there were a lot of bothersome historical inaccuracies, but that's what they do in the movies.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 19, 2018 21:25

that's the whole point of what I'm saying...the inaccuracies and complete white washing of events/depictions in his life seem to have come into a lot of criticism from a lot of places. Otherwise I heard the concert footage ws entertaining.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 20, 2018 03:30

One question I've always wondered: what happened to Queen in the US in the 80s? After the 1982 tour they never toured North America with Freddie again. Its like they were hot in the 70s then in the early 80's, poof their popularity dissipated despite being popular every where else in the world.
Any ideas why?

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 08:54

It was a good movie. Very entertaining. It wasn’t a documentary. It told a bit of a tale of the man behind the songs. That’s it. And, that’s all. I loved it.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 20, 2018 10:56

Happy Jack
One question I've always wondered: what happened to Queen in the US in the 80s? After the 1982 tour they never toured North America with Freddie again. Its like they were hot in the 70s then in the early 80's, poof their popularity dissipated despite being popular every where else in the world.
Any ideas why?

ELO stopped touring the States after the early '80s, as well. America moved past semi-progressive pop-rock? It may have had something to do with the novelty nature of some of their later hits,too. "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" were AM hits, but may not have appealed to the people who bought arena concert tickets.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 20, 2018 13:08

Happy Jack
Any ideas why?

No idea but something (likely) happened to Freddie in NYC 1982.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 20, 2018 15:43

marianna
Happy Jack
Any ideas why?

ELO stopped touring the States after the early '80s, as well. America moved past semi-progressive pop-rock? It may have had something to do with the novelty nature of some of their later hits,too. "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" were AM hits, but may not have appealed to the people who bought arena concert tickets.
Yeah I thought it was just that a LOT of British acts didn't tour America for most of the 80s. Either do to changing tastes, or just being more popular in Europe. Queen was definitely one of those bands HUGE in Europe but not America. They were big but it didn't totally translate, at least the later stuff. Thats why they worked so well at Live Aid in Wembley. It would have been very different in Philly. I think I just assumed they stuck to the places they knew they got super appreciated. Cause as you say, a lot of bands did the same thing. It didn't really become fashionable to play America till the Stones did on the Steel Wheels tour I'd argue, at least for massive bands.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: November 20, 2018 17:52

Happy Jack
Any ideas why?

The main reason that Queen quit playing the USA in the 1980s was the stupid reaction to the video of "I want to break free".
MTV refused to play the video and the bigots who ran (run) the US entertainment industry shunned the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 17:53 by ElGeordie.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:20

MTV played the "I Want Break Free" video. I remember seeing it more than once. Freddie in pearls, a wig, and skirt, while pushing a vacuum cleaner (and the other guys dressed as women, or at least some of them). It may not have helped their popularity among some fans, but the song itself wasn't all that memorable compared to some of their past hits.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:31

They were always slammed by the critics and i dont think they topped another one bites the dust in the US. They really were their own genre. I like some of their songs(slightly mad - their greatest song, breakthru, dust, invisible, gaga, brighton rock, under p.) but i cant stand Bohemian (overrated) to name one. And their fillers were often sub par. Very uneven band.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home