Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT - Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) great trailer
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:38

Wow, if the movie lives up to the trailer it should be really good!

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) great trailer
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 05:26

I"m impressed. Rami Malek is a great choice for Freddie, but I'd still love to have seen what Sacha Baron Cohen would have done with the role.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2018 05:41

keefriff99
I"m impressed. Rami Malek is a great choice for Freddie, but I'd still love to have seen what Sacha Baron Cohen would have done with the role.

Sacha Baron Cohen On What Happened With The Freddie Mercury Biopic

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 18, 2018 07:10

I'm a hard core Queen fan and as such have been pretty sceptical. Trailer was great, I actually thought that was Brian May talking! The guy playing Freddie also seems to has got "the part" down too!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 18, 2018 19:59

keefriff99

Agree with all of that and assumed this would be terrible. It probably still will be, but I agree its a good trailer that piqued my interest.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:43

MileHigh
Wow, if the movie lives up to the trailer it should be really good!

[www.youtube.com]

Nice Trailer. I want to see this movie. Queen is for me the band with the most talented musicans.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:52

Can’t wait to see it!

Date: July 18, 2018 05:38

[www.youtube.com]

New trailer released today...looks very promising!

Date: July 18, 2018 07:18

They're killing it with trailers. I hope it is good but I still can't imagine it will be. These biopics rarely work and this one had such a troubled past. Again, I really hope its good and the trailers are super promising. I still think it might end up being a bust.

Date: July 18, 2018 15:31

RollingFreak
They're killing it with trailers. I hope it is good but I still can't imagine it will be. These biopics rarely work and this one had such a troubled past. Again, I really hope its good and the trailers are super promising. I still think it might end up being a bust.
Lol, you're really pessimistic on this one...I suppose it could end up disappointing but the trailers have given me a glimmer of hope that it will transcend the usual biopic dreck.

I thought Walk the Line was incredible. That was probably the last of these types of movies that really floored me...haven't seen Ray.

Date: July 18, 2018 17:06

keefriff99
RollingFreak
Lol, you're really pessimistic on this one...I suppose it could end up disappointing but the trailers have given me a glimmer of hope that it will transcend the usual biopic dreck.

I thought Walk the Line was incredible. That was probably the last of these types of movies that really floored me...haven't seen Ray.

Just my nature lol. Yeah, Walk The Line was fantastic. Doubt it'll be that quality. That Straight Outta Compton one about NWA was also really great, and I'm not NWA fan. But really well done and seemed like it didn't hold back. I expect this to be in that vein and not an Oscar winning vein like Cash. Again, my wishes to it. Its a great story, Malik seems great, and the trailers are very promising. I'm still bitter about the Sasha Baron Cohen stuff, especially because it looks like they did (smartly) change direction and make it all about Freddie, but I hope all the years of trouble this went through weren't all for naught. I really hope its not dreck.

Date: July 18, 2018 17:18

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak

Just my nature lol. Yeah, Walk The Line was fantastic. Doubt it'll be that quality. That Straight Outta Compton one about NWA was also really great, and I'm not NWA fan. But really well done and seemed like it didn't hold back. I expect this to be in that vein and not an Oscar winning vein like Cash. Again, my wishes to it. Its a great story, Malik seems great, and the trailers are very promising. I'm still bitter about the Sasha Baron Cohen stuff, especially because it looks like they did (smartly) change direction and make it all about Freddie, but I hope all the years of trouble this went through weren't all for naught. I really hope its not dreck.
Ah yes! I loved Straight Outta Compton as well.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 19, 2018 04:04

Small error: Freddie didn't have a mustache yet when recording WWRY.

Date: July 19, 2018 04:39

There's something about artificial rock star wigs that never seem to really work.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 19, 2018 10:19

I may actually see this though I am not a Queen fan at all. The trailer looks interesting. Freddie and the rest were extremely talented and I'm happy for their success but I could never get into them.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: July 20, 2018 12:16

Queen was my life, together with Stones. Think Jagger was the only one better than Freddie at the front. Just me... That Live Aid show, can watch it again and again and will probably do now. Day off.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 7, 2018 09:07

Posted by: ChrisX ()
Date: September 7, 2018 09:55

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-07 09:59 by ChrisX.

Date: September 7, 2018 10:07

Cristiano Radtke
Rami Malek looks like Mick on this new trailer.

Bohemian Rhapsody - “Can You Go a Bit Higher?" Clip - 20th Century FOX

Yeah, I've seen several other people remark that Rami looks more like Mick than Freddie in this clip.

Date: September 7, 2018 14:40

Still have yet to see a bad clip.

Date: November 2, 2018 16:50

Saw it last night. Thought it was excellent.

As a fan there's a ton of historical inaccuracies, and I'm fairly certain the way they portrayed the tension in the band was completely off. Also many of the obvious cliches you'll find in a biopic (just sitting down and popping out an incredible song, as if thats how it happens) and some eye roll lines ("you're already a legend Freddie").

But overall, I thought it was wonderful. Its a fun enjoyable film that keeps the pace moving and keeps you interested. I thought the Live Aid stuff they did was just phenomenal and overall the cinematography was fantastic. And Rami was brilliant was Freddie. Deserves an Oscar nomination. Enjoyed a lot of John Deacon's funny one liners (and happy they highlighted his importance cause he tends to get sidelined). They also did a fantastic job sprinkling in songs throughout their career and making it feel fairly natural I thought. Again, I could harm on the negatives but I really thought it was excellent. Can't believe after 10 years it came out this good, even though I would have really loved to see what Sasha Baron Cohen could have done with it.

Date: November 2, 2018 17:30

RollingFreak

As a fan there's a ton of historical inaccuracies, and I'm fairly certain the way they portrayed the tension in the band was completely off. Also many of the obvious cliches you'll find in a biopic (just sitting down and popping out an incredible song, as if thats how it happens) and some eye roll lines ("you're already a legend Freddie").

But overall, I thought it was wonderful. Its a fun enjoyable film that keeps the pace moving and keeps you interested. I thought the Live Aid stuff they did was just phenomenal and overall the cinematography was fantastic. And Rami was brilliant was Freddie. Deserves an Oscar nomination. Enjoyed a lot of John Deacon's funny one liners (and happy they highlighted his importance cause he tends to get sidelined). They also did a fantastic job sprinkling in songs throughout their career and making it feel fairly natural I thought. Again, I could harm on the negatives but I really thought it was excellent. Can't believe after 10 years it came out this good, even though I would have really loved to see what Sasha Baron Cohen could have done with it.
Good to see that John Deacon got some highlights...from the trailers, it looked like he was going to be completely ignored.

He's played by Joseph Mazzello, who played young Timmy in Jurassic Park waaay back in 1993. He's a few years younger than me and went to school with my cousins a couple of school districts away from me growing me.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 2, 2018 17:34

I'm going to see it right now! I'll let you know.

Date: November 2, 2018 17:50

keefriff99
RollingFreak

Good to see that John Deacon got some highlights...from the trailers, it looked like he was going to be completely ignored.

He's played by Joseph Mazzello, who played young Timmy in Jurassic Park waaay back in 1993. He's a few years younger than me and went to school with my cousins a couple of school districts away from me growing me.

Yeah, I thought he was the best band member besides Freddie. Had great lines and he's a great actor. Was also in The Pacific and a few other things. Didn't get a HUGE role or anything, but as big as the other members and I'm glad they highlighted that he wrote You're My Best Friend, I Want To Break Free and Another One Bites The Dust. Definitely an important overlooked member in the band's history. What I find funny too is despite giving pretty gracious songtime to most of their catalogue, You're My Best Friend is never played. Amazing that the band had so many hits they couldn't even squeeze this one in, despite it being in almost every movie trailer known to man (that and Don't Bring Me Down by ELO).

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 2, 2018 18:47

I can´t even stand the original FM.

Date: November 2, 2018 20:16

For what it's worth, review from Variety: Bohemian Raphsody

Film Review: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

Rami Malek does a commanding job of channeling Freddie Mercury's flamboyant rock-god bravura,
but Bryan Singer's middle-of-the-road Queen biopic rarely lives up to the authenticity of its lead performance.
By Owen Gleiberman

Freddie Mercury was the most majestically debauched of all rock stars. A bad-boy diva with a famous overbite that made him look not just sexy but libidinous, he strutted around onstage with the come-hither flamboyance of a leering vampire prince. And, of course, no one in rock history had pipes like his. In his heyday as the lead singer of Queen, during the mid-to-late 1970s, Mercury crooned and wailed, but more than that he soared, like Robert Plant fused with the spirits of Cher and Tina Turner. He was as down-and-dirty as any rock ‘n’ roller, but his melodic glide could lift you to the heavens. Queen’s iconic anthem “We Will Rock You” was written as a call-and-response between the band and its fans, but the way Mercury sang it, with his snaky grandiloquence (“Buddy, you’re a boy, make a big noise playing in the street…”) the song came off as his unholy credo. The message was: He will rock you.

How do you cast the role of Freddie Mercury? It’s like finding someone to play Mick Jagger or Michael Jackson — at every moment, you’re going up against the real thing, a pop deity who has never stopped living inside our imaginations. Yet in the scrappy and sprawling rock biopic “Bohemian Rhapsody,” Rami Malek, the 37-year-old Egyptian-American actor from “Mr. Robot,” takes on the role of Freddie Mercury as if born to it. Swarthy and insinuating, if neither as tall nor as serpentine as Mercury, Malek has been outfitted with a set of fake front teeth, a recreation of the jutting Freddie overbite that works well enough, though it’s often a bit distracting, because there don’t appear to be any spaces between the pearly whites — it’s like seeing a Freddie who got his teeth capped. That said, Malek winds up looking, and inhabiting, the part to a remarkable degree. Watching “Bohemian Rhapsody,” we always feel like we’re seeing Freddie Mercury standing right in front of us.

Onstage, Malek’s Freddie is a studded leather peacock, swoony and liberated, letting the life force pour out of him in a glorious tremolo, most extraordinarily during the film’s climactic sequence, a song-for-song, move-for-move reenactment of Queen’s legendary reunion set at the London Live Aid concert in 1985 (though the film drops the infectious Elvis bop of “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”). Malek, wearing a wife beater and arm band and Mercury’s signature honcho mustache, with liquid dark eyes that drink in the crowd and stare it down, struts and poses and leads the audience in vocal chants as if he owned the world (which, at that moment, Freddie sort of did).

Offstage, Malek nails the star’s fusion of charm and ego with a suavely nervy command. Freddie, born in Zanzibar (as Farrokh Bulsara), spends the early scenes, set in London in 1970, toggling between his proper Parsi family and the nightlife that lures him like a flame. When he learns that Smile, a local band he’s been following, has lost its lead singer, he belts out an impromptu croon in front of the band’s other members, guitarist Brian May (Gwilym Lee) and drummer Roger Taylor (Ben Hardy), just outside their club gig, and as soon as they hear what Freddie can do they hire him.

He already has the scarf-tossing pansexual darling bravado of a post-glam rock star, yet Freddie, in his way, is also a tea-time British gentleman. He becomes the band’s leader, renaming them Queen and getting them to sell their rickety touring van to make enough money for a demo tape, and he possesses an awesome belief in his own talent — right down to the four extra teeth on his upper jaw, which he proudly claims add to his vocal power. Yet the way Malek plays him, there’s a captivating sweetness to Freddie. He treats everyone with the same soft-edged, velvet-voiced regard (at least, until he becomes a drugged-out rock-star prima donna), notably Mary Austin (Lucy Boynton), the playful and loving lass he falls for and forms a tender domestic union with. When he struggles to keep the relationship going after he discovers, on the road, that his essential attraction is to men, it’s not just because he’s concealing his erotic drive (though that’s part of it). It’s as though he can’t bring himself to break Mary’s heart.

So with a performance as commanding as Rami Malek’s at its center, why isn’t “Bohemian Rhapsody” a better movie? Directed by Bryan Singer, who is now officially credited (after rumors that his name might be taken off the picture due to his failure to show up on set during the final weeks of filming late last year), the movie, despite its electrifying subject, is a conventional, middle-of-the-road, cut-and-dried, play-it-safe, rather fuddy-duddy old-school biopic, a movie that skitters through events instead of sinking into them. And it treats Freddie’s personal life — his sexual-romantic identity, his loneliness, his reckless adventures in gay leather clubs — with kid-gloves reticence, so that even if the film isn’t telling major lies, you don’t feel you’re fully touching the real story either. Freddie Mercury was a brazenly sexual person who felt compelled to keep his sexuality hidden, but that’s no excuse for a movie about him to be so painfully polite.

As a director, Singer has always been a big-budget short-order cook, the kind of filmmaker who brings more energy than texture to what he’s doing. “Bohemian Rhapsody” creates a watchable paint-by-numbers ride through the Queen saga, yet it’s rarely the movie it could or should have been. As scripted by Anthony McCarten (“Darkest Hour,” “The Theory of Everything”), it lacks the cathartic intimacy, the rippingly authentic you-are-there excitement of a great rock-world biopic like “Sid and Nancy” or “Get On Up” or “Love & Mercy.” Yet the film’s limitations may not end up mattering all that much, since its once-over-lightly quality could prove to be highly commercial (and Malek’s captivating performance is pure awards bait). The movie can work for mainstream audiences as a jukebox musical pegged to a heart-tugging semi-synthetic version of Freddie Mercury’s rise and fall.

In a strange way, it’s Queen’s music, delectable as it is, that’s most underserved by Singer’s one-thing-after-another sketchbook approach. In terms of the Queen songbook, the movie gets a few things wonderfully right, like the Live Aid performance, or the recording — and marketing — of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the one-of-a-kind existential rock-opera mash-up (“Nothing really matters..to me”) that, in 1975, became Queen’s signature six-minute radio masterpiece. The marathon recording session exuberantly evokes the song’s shoot-the-works quality, and there’s an irresistible sequence, built around the in-joke of casting Mike Myers — yes, Wayne Campbell himself — as an EMI executive, in which the members of Queen try, and fail, to convince the label to release “Bohemian Rhapsody” as a single. The rest, as they say, is history.

Yet for all the attention it lavishes on its title song, “Bohemian Rhapsody” doesn’t show much interest in how Freddie and Queen came together to carve out their heavy-metal/pop-echo-chamber wall of sound. The first true Queen single, “Killer Queen,” in 1974, becomes the occasion for a squabble between the band members and the producers of “Top of the Pops” about why the band has to lip-sync their performance of it on television. But even if that really happened, who cares? What we miss is how the band came up with “Killer Queen” in the first place — the merging of Mercury’s Tin Pan Alley jauntiness and Brian May’s guitar-god power, backed by the insane multi-tracking of Mercury’s voice into an infinitely mirrored chorus. That’s the invention of the Queen sound, and it’s barely an afterthought in the movie.

As much as that, we miss the formation of what Freddie was onstage. Partly because the film doesn’t want to upstage the Live Aid sequence, there’s hardly a moment where we see Freddie discover who he is as a performer. And here’s why that’s a crucial omission. It wouldn’t be homophobic — in fact, it would be homophobic to deny — that Freddie Mercury brought a spark of gay sensibility to rock ‘n’ roll. He envisioned the concert stage, and the recording studio, as a thunder-rock cabaret, and his vocals projected a newly naked male emotionalism that was stunning in its larger-than-life intensity.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” has a good time showing how Queen conceived a handful of their iconic hits, from the ominous funk of “Another One Bites the Dust” to the gladiatorial surge of “We Are the Champions.” But for most of the film, the awesome expressiveness of Freddie Mercury, the way he used his voice as an enraptured instrument of agony and ecstasy, isn’t front and center. It’s telling that Queen’s 1976 single “Somebody to Love” isn’t featured in the movie (it’s just background music), because not only is it one of their greatest songs, it’s one of Mercury’s most ardently autobiographical. It could have been an epiphany — but the film backs away from it, because it’s backing away from the emotional bravura of what Freddie Mercury was singing.

As “Bohemian Rhapsody” goes on, the band falls apart and comes back together in inevitable, if not always historically accurate, melodramatic ways. The camaraderie among the members of Queen is fun to behold, because the film captures what different cloths they were cut from, and the actors fill in their roles — Gwilym Lee is especially good as Brian May, with his Louis XIV mane, virtuoso guitar licks, and jovial straight-arrow crispness. When Freddie reveals to the band, during rehearsals for the Live Aid show, that he has HIV (even though he wasn’t, in fact, diagnosed until two years later), it’s moving, because at that moment the film touches the truth of all great rock bands: that they’re brothers. Freddie’s Live Aid performance gets reconfigured into his secret way of fighting back against the disease. He’s sick, with an ailing throat, but he looks and performs as though he’s in his prime, a show-must-go-on mirage that’s a testament to his rock ‘n’ roll fervor. In a sequence like that, “Bohemian Rhapsody” nails Queen’s majesty. What eludes the film is Freddie Mercury’s mystery.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 2, 2018 21:12

I know this movie is getting mixed reviews (60% critics & 93% audience...as of now on Rotten Tomatoes), and I know there are inaccuracies, but I will still see this movie!cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 21:13 by BluzDude.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 2, 2018 23:12

Saw it last night

Took a few artistic liberties with a few things, but overall a good movie. The actors who played Brian May & John Duncan really looked like them...and Rami, Rami does such a good job at channeling Freddie, especially in the last third of the film that its almost eerie.

Sidenote, Mike Myers steals the scene with his diatribe against Bohemian Rhapsody in favor of I’m in Love with my Car.

Live Aid scenes....damn, I can’t believe it was 33 yeas ago.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: November 2, 2018 23:21

This kitch movie appears 50 years too early. Put on some great footage of Queen and you get to see the real thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 23:22 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 2, 2018 23:35

steffialicia
I'm going to see it right now! I'll let you know.

Liked it very much. I would recommend seeing it.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home