Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: The Guardian ranks the Stones albums
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 18, 2018 06:51

I would agree with slots 1 through 4, not necessarily in that order, but I would move "Tattoo You" and "Some Girls" into slots 5 and 6 respectively. "Emotional Rescue" needs to be in the top 10, even possibly at number 7.

I didn't have time to think about how I'd rank all the rest of the albums.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 18, 2018 06:54

.... fair rank by Mr Petridis ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2018 09:35

vertigojoe
Certainly better than Beggars, which for me is no 4 in the Big 4

I wonder if Jumpin' Jack Flash had been located as the second track, right after Sympathy For The Devil, whether we'd have concluded that Beggar's was clearly the best of the big four?

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 18, 2018 09:42

vertigojoe
For me Tattoo You should be higher and Dirty Work I'd put above any of the studio LP's that came after it. I know that's controversial but in DW I can hear Keith's passion to keep the band together and make an album in the traditional Stones manner. In the SW and beyond albums I only hear the need to put out an album so they can go on tour. A concept since dispensed with.

Today I played the whole Dirty Work and am impressed with most of it, very "stonsey", but some songs show their age by being funky trendy, not working at all for me

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:31

Voodoo Lounge much higher in my own ranking
But it's a tough job and each his own

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 18, 2018 13:35

treaclefingers
vertigojoe

I wonder if Jumpin' Jack Flash had been located as the second track, right after Sympathy For The Devil, whether we'd have concluded that Beggar's was clearly the best of the big four?

Yes maybe. Although personally I’d put it at track 3 and scratch the execrable Dear Doctor

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:34

The author seems to navigate to some Stonesology. If my memory serves me well, Between The Buttons wasn`t that great. -Maybe a parallalell to Manfred Mann`s lame As Is. I agree with those who say; strip the latter day CDs of superfluos tracks, and you`d have a lot of strong albums, containing even possible live staples.

Date: May 19, 2018 09:44

noughties
The author seems to navigate to some Stonesology. If my memory serves me well, Between The Buttons wasn`t that great. -Maybe a parallalell to Manfred Mann`s lame As Is. I agree with those who say; strip the latter day CDs of superfluos tracks, and you`d have a lot of strong albums, containing even possible live staples.

agree with you on the latter day stones opinion, however Between the Buttons is probably their most underrated album,UK or US version. Like TSMR was a momentary departure into psychedelia, BtB was a momentary departure into pop. It didn't stick, but it didn't mean they didn't do an amazing job of it (in either albums case). 1967 was a year where stones accomplishments were overshadowed by everyone else, but they were still rising towards the top of their game.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 19, 2018 14:50

15. It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll (1974)
13. Tattoo You (1981) - below ER = crazy.
12. Emotional Rescue (1980), comeeee on, NO WAY, this should be further down.

IORR below ER LOLLLL

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: May 23, 2018 08:34

vertigojoe
treaclefingers
vertigojoe

Yes maybe. Although personally I’d put it at track 3 and scratch the execrable Dear Doctor

Come on!

Dear Doctor marks the start of the Stones entrance into the genre of country comedy music...from this you get songs - not all country but work with me here Joe - like Country Honk, Far Away Eyes, Neighbours, Short and Curlies, Claudine, Brand New Car, Do You Think I Really Care, Indian Girl (ok that one may not have been intentional), Honourable Mention goes to "Stoned" and "Spider and the Fly" which are in no way country but predate Dear Doctor.

We need a stones comedy album now!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 25, 2018 23:43

Oh gosh. I suppose today I would say...

1.) LET IT BLEED
2.) EXILE ON MAIN STREET
3.) BEGGARS BANQUET
4.) STICKY FINGERS
5.) AFTERMATH
6.) BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
7.) THE ROLLING STONES
8.) THE ROLLING STONES no. 2
9.) OUT OF OUR HEADS
10.) SOME GIRLS
11.) TATTOO YOU
12.) GOATS HEAD SOUP
13.) IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL
14.) EMOTIONAL RESCUE
15.) VOODOO LOUNGE
16.) BRIDGES TO BABYLON
17.) STEEL WHEELS
18.) UNDERCOVER
19.) BLACK AND BLUE
20.) A BIGGER BANG
21.) DIRTY WORK
22.) THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
23.) BLUE AND LONESOME

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 26, 2018 00:24

I agree, BtB is not a good album. It is something very strange to me. There are some great great numbers on it,maybe the best ones of the Vegas era, but the final result ia a failed album

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 26, 2018 05:46

Black and Blue...is largely unlistenable, but that’s my opinion. The top 4, well at least we can all agree on the albums that belong there.

Some Girls
Tattoo You
Goats Head Soup
It’s Only Rock & Roll
Emotional Rescue
Undercover

A comprehensive list including the Live Albums, including the vault releases with the same thoughtfulness and less argumentative personal bias and tastes...that would be an interesting 10 to 15 minute read.

As far as personal bias and tastes go...when they are shared here I always find them compelling. To me the Spring and Summer of 1997’s soundtrack was Bridges to Babylon...I love that album and love a few songs that have been slagged. Now just because I’ve got a personal connection to the album or song doesn’t mean I cannot objectively see its musical merits or its paint by the numbers approach.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 26, 2018 10:22

JumpingKentFlash
To have the 89-05 albums that low is just stupid and it screams “We haven’t heard them in years”.

Neither have I.

I would have put Out Of Our Heads somewhere near number 1, half of Undercover is good enough to maybe put it a little higher, I keep forgetting Blue & Lonesome exists so maybe someday I will rank it somewhere, but I generally have a dim view of latter era covers albums by any band.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 26, 2018 14:25

It is refreshing to see TATTOO YOU decidedly away from the top, in marked contrast to the views among so many posters on IORR, which so often have much puzzled me. Only fault, it should have been further down, towards the bottom.

On the other hand, I am appalled to see THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST and BETWEEN THE BUTTONS so far from the very top. Also EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER to me belong to a multi-headed top.

And BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BICGER BANG to me do not aspire to the bottom layer, even if there ought to be between 13 and 15 albums, that are better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 27, 2018 02:04

1. STICKY FINGERS
2. LET IT BLEED
3. EXILE ON MAIN STREET
4. TATTOO YOU
5. BEGGARS BANQUET
6. GOATS HEAD SOUP
7. BLUE AND LONESOME
8. UNDERCOVER
9. AFTERMATH
10. OUT OF OUR HEADS
11. SOME GIRLS
12. IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL
13. BLACK AND BLUE
14. EMOTIONAL RESCUE
15. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
16. BRIDGES TO BABYLON
17. THE ROLLING STONES
18. THE ROLLING STONES NO. 2
19. A BIGGER BANG
20. VOODOO LOUNGE
21. STEEL WHEELS
22. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
23. DIRTY WORK

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2018 02:14

Silver Dagger
Let It Bleed No 4? C'mon man, it's pound for pound their greatest album.

Lol.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2018 02:29

treaclefingers

agree with you on the latter day stones opinion, however Between the Buttons is probably their most underrated album,UK or US version. Like TSMR was a momentary departure into psychedelia, BtB was a momentary departure into pop. It didn't stick, but it didn't mean they didn't do an amazing job of it (in either albums case). 1967 was a year where stones accomplishments were overshadowed by everyone else, but they were still rising towards the top of their game.

The freaky pop and psychisms was the stones being themselves in the times and lives they were actively living. More honest in a way than their bluesier music.

They were regurarily getting monged on acid etc etc, being exsposed to and experiencing a life most never experience. The music totally reflects that. They weren't pretending to be anything, just living in the moment. Totally valid, searching, experimenting and very much The Rolling Stones.

They've been pop to varying degrees from beginning to this very day. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 28, 2018 00:30

Send It To me
Emotional Rescue and Majesties are too high and Let It Bleed and Tattoo are too low, but otherwise in the general ballpark
Totally agree.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 28, 2018 04:10

Witness
It is refreshing to see TATTOO YOU decidedly away from the top, in marked contrast to the views among so many posters on IORR, which so often have much puzzled me. Only fault, it should have been further down, towards the bottom.

Because so many of us younger fans (in our 40s and 50s) this was our introduction to the Rolling Stones as a still current band, and a vital part of our musical formative years. My cousin had this when I was 8 years and songs like Slave and Heaven somewhat fascinated me. I don't even remember Undercover being out, so next up was Harlem Shuffle all over KLOS.

Early 1980's a lot of record buying peeps only had Hot Rocks and Tattoo You and maybe a mix tape of whatever was taped off the radio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 04:23 by Dan.

Date: May 28, 2018 10:13

Dan
Witness

Because so many of us younger fans (in our 40s and 50s) this was our introduction to the Rolling Stones as a still current band, and a vital part of our musical formative years. My cousin had this when I was 8 years and songs like Slave and Heaven somewhat fascinated me. I don't even remember Undercover being out, so next up was Harlem Shuffle all over KLOS.

Early 1980's a lot of record buying peeps only had Hot Rocks and Tattoo You and maybe a mix tape of whatever was taped off the radio.

You manage to present the viewpoint with more emphasis than I have seen before. The reflection makes me wonder if there is an element of generation bias about the popularity of TATTOO YOU. That is, more than it is the case for other Stones albums.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2018 10:55

Witness
Dan
Witness

You manage to present the viewpoint with more emphasis than I have seen before. The reflection makes me wonder if there is an element of generation bias about the popularity of TATTOO YOU. That is, more than it is the case for other Stones albums.

Yep, I have noticed this too. I get the feeling that fans around 60, or older, tend to grade all the early albums (the ones before 1968) way ahead of TY. And TY ends up in the bottom list. It was TY that got me into The Rolling Stones. So I will always grade it high. It's an age thing then. I guess...

Date: May 28, 2018 11:05

Stoneage
Witness
Dan
Witness

Yep, I have noticed this too. I get the feeling that fans around 60, or older, tend to grade all the early albums (the ones before 1968) way ahead of TY. And TY ends up in the bottom list. It was TY that got me into The Rolling Stones. So I will always grade it high. It's an age thing then. I guess...

Since Mick Taylor is on TY, I somehow doubt that. SG is a popular album, no matter which generation you belong to. TY, however, had an even more nuanced musical feel to it (with the quiet b-side) and many of the guys who got their kicks to Moonlight Mile, Time Waits For No One or Winter might love Worried About You, Tops and Waiting On A Friend for the same reasons.

That said, most of TY is sort of a SG, part III, with its Pathe Marconi-sound and Keith and Ronnie's weaving-style. That's what I fell in love with. And, yes, it was my first Stones-album.

As I grew older, I learned to appreciated side B even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 11:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: May 28, 2018 11:22

Witness
Dan
Witness

Rings true with me... Start Me Up was the first Stones song that registered on my radar as a kid via heavy airplay on KLOS in L.A. Also, while visiting my cousin in Hollywood a few years ago, he said I could have whatever vinyl records he had I wanted, the only Stones he had was Tattoo You (I'm going to wall-frame it one of these days, I don't listen to vinyl but hang them on my walls)...

Date: May 28, 2018 15:09

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Witness
Dan
Witness

Since Mick Taylor is on TY, I somehow doubt that. SG is a popular album, no matter which generation you belong to. TY, however, had an even more nuanced musical feel to it (with the quiet b-side) and many of the guys who got their kicks to Moonlight Mile, Time Waits For No One or Winter might love Worried About You, Tops and Waiting On A Friend for the same reasons.

That said, most of TY is sort of a SG, part III, with its Pathe Marconi-sound and Keith and Ronnie's weaving-style. That's what I fell in love with. And, yes, it was my first Stones-album.

However, at the indicated age levels Mick Taylor is not part of your earliest Rolling Stones references. Everything Rolling Stones dividing is not pro- or anti Mick Taylor related.

And if you are among surviving fans of rock music over several rock generations , even with a comparatively early start, you may be interested in the arrival of punk and "new wave" as renewing rock, therefore appreciating SOME GIRLS. And, at the same time, unprejudiced, also loving both "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes".

Besides, possibly liking EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER as developing new Rolling Stones music.

But, at least some from the focused age levels, finding "Start Me Up" as a light weight generic Rolling Stones song, more or less the mother of "Stones-by-numbers". And the rest of that album, apart from the marvellous "Waiting on a Friend", rather so and so, held up against almost anything in a Rolling Stones context. Myself even more critical towards the album than others of the said age levels may be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 15:11 by Witness.

Date: May 28, 2018 15:18

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Witness
Dan
Witness

However, at the indicated age levels Mick Taylor is not part of your earliest Rolling Stones references. Everything Rolling Stones dividing is not pro- or anti Mick Taylor related.

And if you are among surviving fans of rock music over several rock generations , even with a comparatively early start, you may be interested in the arrival of punk and "new wave" as renewing rock, therefore appreciating SOME GIRLS. And, at the same time, unprejudiced, also loving both "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes".

Besides, possibly liking EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER as developing new Rolling Stones music.

But, at least some from the focused age levels, finding "Start Me Up" as a light weight generic Rolling Stones song, more or less the mother of "Stones-by-numbers". And the rest of that album, apart from the marvellous "Waiting on a Friend", rather so and so, held up against almost anything in a Rolling Stones context. Myself even more critical towards the album than others of the said age levels may be.

I know that you are critical of TY, Witness grinning smiley

There is country, soul/pop, straight rock and funk/disco on SG, too (just like on ER and – partially – on TY and Undercover).

<at the indicated age levels Mick Taylor is not part of your earliest Rolling Stones references. Everything Rolling Stones dividing is not pro- or anti Mick Taylor related>

You may be right of course, but that's not my experience.

As an experiment, you could start by asking 60 year old fans here on IORR whether they prefer the Mick Taylor era to other eras or not. If they were born in 1958, they'd have been 14 years of age + when Exile came out...

Date: May 28, 2018 15:36

Myself, not 60 years old (but the criterion was (or rather, it became) 60 years or older), I tend to not ranking the Brian Jones and Mick Taylor eras. Possibly slightly more in love with the former, slightly more impressed by the latter. Besides, I do love the three (other) Pathe Marconi studio albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 15:43 by Witness.

Date: May 28, 2018 15:58

Witness
Myself, not 60 years old (but the criterion was (or rather, it became) 60 years or older), I tend to not ranking the Brian Jones and Mick Taylor eras. Possibly slightly more in love with the former, slightly more impressed by the latter. Besides, I do love the three (other) Pathe Marconi studio albums.

I'm pushing 50 and I agree with everything in your post thumbs up

The Brian era was groundbreaking, while the Taylor era offered more advanced playing and sound. But not the huge, phenomenal hits like JJF, Satisfaction and Paint It, Black.

However, I do like TY, too.

PS: There is one more Pathe Marconi studio album, though winking smiley

Date: May 28, 2018 16:05

DandelionPowderman
Witness

I'm pushing 50 and I agree with everything in your post thumbs up

The Brian era was groundbreaking, while the Taylor era offered more advanced playing and sound. But not the huge, phenomenal hits like JJF, Satisfaction and Paint It, Black.

However, I do like TY, too.

PS: There is one more Pathe Marconi studio album, though winking smiley

cool smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 28, 2018 19:16

I would largely agree with that and, like Bard, I'm pushing 50 as well. The thing is when I compiled my list, I realized the first 18 titles I ranked are either excellent or very good. It's only the last five that are mixed results and even those have moments that are standouts. This isn't a singles only band by a long shot after all. So many album tracks are of an amazingly high standard. While every album has filler, it's often filler of a higher quality than many other acts have managed. In many ways, despite their success, I still think Jagger-Richards are very underrated as songwriters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home