Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031Next
Current Page: 27 of 31
Re: Dublin Ireland 17-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 18, 2018 19:44

Hairball

On another note, rumours of them heading to Australia next continue.....

"These dates are unlikely to be the only shows for The Rolling Stones for 2018. Australian dates are expected to be announced soon to coincide with the opening of the Stones ‘Exhibitionism’ in Sydney".

Rolling Stones

Paul Cashmere's beaten that drum before - Noise11

He's also the one who broke the Charlie retirement story several years ago, so take this latest rumor with a sizeable grain of salt.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: May 18, 2018 19:56

Another show , another $10,000,000. You gotta love it.
Ronnie and Mick's dye jobs are also absolutely first rate. I wish I knew their stylist.

Anyway, what's the current consensus for best bathroom break song. Personally I vote for "Ride Em On Down".

Set List:

"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Paint It Black"
"Just Your Fool"
"Ride 'Em on Down"
"Neighbours"
"Wild Horses"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Before They Make Me Run"
"The Worst"
"Miss You"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Start Me Up"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Brown Sugar"

Encore

"Gimme Shelter"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Date: May 18, 2018 19:56

Paul Cashmere is below fake news. Learn the name by heart, IORRians!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2018 19:57

keithsman
Keith. The Worst

Oh man this just made me so high, he just is the song, he expresses the meaning in every word, the emotion, and that acoustic, just the highlight for me, a masterclass.

[www.youtube.com]

A very nice version indeed. It sounds to me that Keith is like a good wine growing older just getting better and better singing his ballads live. Compared, for example, his versions of "The Worst" during VOODOO LOUNGE tour, I think this is much more convincing performance, more concentration and feeling, less bullshit and posing. With that I don't mean that the 1994 versions weren't good, they were, but this one is just better.

It could be that just actually growing older, and in fact, getting rather old an sich, with all that experience and everything, works for Keith and makes him more capable and convincing to do justice for songs like "The Worst".

Personally I think Keith's slow ballads generally work wonderfully live - it is actually through these live versions I have started more to appreciate the 'latter day' Richards ballads, which initally didn't do much me when listened the original studio versions. If memory serves (and why not), "Slipping Away" was the first instance of this phenomenon (the studio original sounded an album filler to me, but when I heard him - and them - doing it live in my very first Rolling Stones concert, Helsinki 1995, I was totally stunned).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 19:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:01

In 1970 when I became a Stones fan by the age of 9 and someone would have asked me where I would see my band in 48 years I would have answered:

1. In a coffin.

or

2. At their homes watching TV.

or

3. At Nellcote refurbished as luxury retirement home.

Never ever I would have said:

1. In Dublin starting a European Tour in front of 70.000

2. Doing the 6th tour in the last 6 years.

3. Playing two hours on a good level with a Mick in front on an outstanding level.

48 years with the band, and the surprises just won´t stop.

Next stop Londonsmiling smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:05

I've pretty much watched the entire show...via YouTube...much as I'm a little cynical these days about Stones tours/gigs, I have to say that looked and sounded like a pretty good opening night. Main thing is those who were there enjoyed it and felt they got their money's worth.

Have to say though that it looked a weak set list and hope for later shows that they introduce a few surprises...I was hoping for Faraway Eyes with the Glimmer twins at the same mic....ok, maybe a dream too far but surely it's time they at least pretended for the fans!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:14

I thought I'd be feeling bad about not flying to Ireland for this show but based on the set list and the comments here PLUS the shortened show, I feel pretty relieved that I didn't go through all the stress to attend. I just don't get WHY they rehearse all of these songs, some considered " deep cuts" only to play the same ole songs with 2 blues tunes thrown in. It also is troubling to see that they only sold roughly 70% of the tickets...but at those prices for 19 songs...as someone said, this does not help sell out the rest of the tour.
I think I'll wait and see if they decide to visit the USA in the fall. sad smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:15

Finally taking a breather and catching up on this thread. It was so great to see some of the Usual Suspects, and other rogues and scoundrels before, during and after! The shows are so much better with you lot around. From where I was (GC, Keith’s side) it was a really strong opening show. There was a definite shift in the crowd engagement- for the better - when Just Your Fool started. Mick is so good with the harmonica, and they are such a good blues band, I think the crowd would have loved more of that. Keith’s set was so great, really good song choice. The stadium looked alarmingly empty until shortly after they took the stage, but did fill up to a respectable level. For some reason I wasn’t allowed to bring the bottle of water I bought inside the park onto the field, so I will admit to some rather dark thoughts as I picked my way out over thousands of empty beer bottles. And to the charming woman who pressed up tight against my back most of the gig, danced like a windmill even though there was no room to move, and pounded me into oblivion with her elbows, there is a special place in hell for you, and it’s NOT the place Keith has reserved for himself. I hope you stepped in something unpleasant on the way home. So there.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:16

I hate gauging a show by you tube but those videos show a band playing really well. And guys,can we please stop attacking the crowd for being “lame” and “unenthusiastic “ they have no obligation whatsoever.
They paid their money and can sit quietly and listen,scream and yell or whatever they want,they’re not the ones performing.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:18

At a given show, especially someplace like London, what percentage of people would you say have seen the band before?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:21

lem motlow
I hate gauging a show by you tube but those videos show a band playing really well. And guys,can we please stop attacking the crowd for being “lame” and “unenthusiastic “ they have no obligation whatsoever.
They paid their money and can sit quietly and listen,scream and yell or whatever they want,they’re not the ones performing.

Agree it's hard to judge well by YouTube videos but I sense a marked change from the first leg of No Filter. Keith seems more together, more focused. I have no idea if that's to do with drinking or not drinking, but I feel like they've heard some of the critical things being said and committed to really care about these performances. Keith, especially seems in better shape. I'm regretting I can't be there; hope they come back to NYC!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 18, 2018 20:31

Gazza

I doubled up with a mate. I got 310 lower level (as it seems a LOT of people did) and he got pit Keith's side. So naturally we went for the latter.

Congrats Gazza! Good luck for the rest of the tour.

Date: May 18, 2018 20:34

bye bye johnny
jumpontopofmebaby
I cannot justify $600 for the same songs over and over and over.

Maybe one more time...but not three like I was planning.

Not all tickets are $600. In fact, you can see three shows for far less than that.

Well....I am too old to not go and get the seat / area I want. I refuse to go to any show that I do not have the seats I choose.

And...fact is a concert is not nearly as good when you have a seat that is far away.

For me its probably around $600 a ticket plus my chicks ticket.

So not paying $1200 to walk away saying wow...Keith played The Worst and Neighbors was great....and well....yes the rest of the songs were just like remembered that last 15 times I saw them.

Enough is enough....make the change F the easy button.

Date: May 18, 2018 20:36

jumpontopofmebaby
bye bye johnny
jumpontopofmebaby
I cannot justify $600 for the same songs over and over and over.

Maybe one more time...but not three like I was planning.

Not all tickets are $600. In fact, you can see three shows for far less than that.

Well....I am too old to not go and get the seat / area I want. I refuse to go to any show that I do not have the seats I choose.

Two hour show 24 songs...ditch the tired songs and go back to being the Rolling Stones....not a greatest hits 60 band

And...fact is a concert is not nearly as good when you have a seat that is far away.

So not paying $1200 to walk away saying wow...Keith played The Worst and Neighbors was great....and well....yes the rest of the songs were just like remembered that last 15 times I saw them.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 18, 2018 21:17

[/quote/)

Enough is enough....make the change F the easy button.[/quote]

Remember though,you and I caused the problem in the first place. If no one would’ve paid those prices we wouldn’t be in this predicament,we had the money and paid it.why would they lower the price if the tickets are selling?
I’m not giving you a hard time in fact I did the same thing in 2015,I’ve seen the show enough i’ll let other people have my seats.
But its sure nice to see those big crowds and my boys still kicking it,strange sense of pride in that for some reason.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 18, 2018 21:24

GuessWho
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and at the risk of being harangued, if they dropped YCAGWYW, Midnight Rambler and Miss You that would "free up" well over 20 mins which could be filled with 6 or 7 shorter songs (maybe from a pool of a dozen - rotated each gig) and perhaps make the setlists a bit more enticing for those who want a more varied selection each night.
Just sayin'

Totally agree with you: sweet virginia,sister morphine,rocks off,out of control,doom&gloom,and so many others sad smiley(((

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 18, 2018 21:25

SomeTorontoGirl
Finally taking a breather and catching up on this thread. It was so great to see some of the Usual Suspects, and other rogues and scoundrels before, during and after! The shows are so much better with you lot around. From where I was (GC, Keith’s side) it was a really strong opening show. There was a definite shift in the crowd engagement- for the better - when Just Your Fool started. Mick is so good with the harmonica, and they are such a good blues band, I think the crowd would have loved more of that. Keith’s set was so great, really good song choice. The stadium looked alarmingly empty until shortly after they took the stage, but did fill up to a respectable level. For some reason I wasn’t allowed to bring the bottle of water I bought inside the park onto the field, so I will admit to some rather dark thoughts as I picked my way out over thousands of empty beer bottles. And to the charming woman who pressed up tight against my back most of the gig, danced like a windmill even though there was no room to move, and pounded me into oblivion with her elbows, there is a special place in hell for you, and it’s NOT the place Keith has reserved for himself. I hope you stepped in something unpleasant on the way home. So there.

thumbs up

Rolling Stones - Dublin Ireland 17-May-2018
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 18, 2018 21:42

Mick - Great opening night at Croke Park! #StonesNoFilter #Dublin

[twitter.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 18, 2018 21:44

DandelionPowderman
nankerzrk
I love the outrage at the similarity in the setlists since 2013, while we seem to never tire of the same complaints after every show in the past 5 years smoking smiley

Yes grinning smiley But were the setlist really similar in 2013? Here's a random pick:

Get Off Of My Cloud
The Last Time
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses (with Gwen Stefani)
Factory Girl
Emotional Rescue
Respectable (with Keith Urban)
Doom And Gloom
One More Shot
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band presentation
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
--- Band off stage
You Can't Always Get What oiu Want
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

true, the american leg 2013 was great - but the hyde park concerts 2013 marked the beginning of the times of boring setlists. Exception was coachella, but these gigs were quite bad played.

So I will watch my Fonda DVD once more and keep on dreaming of a surprising and great performed late Stones gig

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: May 18, 2018 21:46

mickschix
I thought I'd be feeling bad about not flying to Ireland for this show but based on the set list and the comments here PLUS the shortened show, I feel pretty relieved that I didn't go through all the stress to attend. I just don't get WHY they rehearse all of these songs, some considered " deep cuts" only to play the same ole songs with 2 blues tunes thrown in. It also is troubling to see that they only sold roughly 70% of the tickets...but at those prices for 19 songs...as someone said, this does not help sell out the rest of the tour.
I think I'll wait and see if they decide to visit the USA in the fall. sad smiley

Well, reading the setlist and listening to YT videos is one thing, being there is completely different. Yes, it is the same songs, and yes it is "just" 2 hours an 19 songs (Dylan is 15/16 songs or so and 2 hours WITH a break).
But being there and hearing the songs performed live pretty close to the stage makes you forget all this. It is, after all the Stones.
You have heard most of them live before, yes, but I expect you have listened to the LPs (or CDs) many times as well? Or is it "Oh no, not that LP again"?
I have never regretted going to a Stones concert, but I still regret not going to hear Ronnie and Tottas Blues band in Oslo in the 80s, because it was expensive (3xnormal price at that time) and he was "the new guy".
Never again.

Date: May 18, 2018 22:19

lem motlow
[/quote/)

Remember though,you and I caused the problem in the first place. If no one would’ve paid those prices we wouldn’t be in this predicament,we had the money and paid it.why would they lower the price if the tickets are selling?
I’m not giving you a hard time in fact I did the same thing in 2015,I’ve seen the show enough i’ll let other people have my seats.
But its sure nice to see those big crowds and my boys still kicking it,strange sense of pride in that for some reason.[/quote]

Well....it used to be worth it to me...now I am not sure

And I get the pride thing completely....I love the Stones ...and how could a guy be so lucky that his favorite band is one of a few classic rock bands still touring and filling stadiums. But I want a better reason to go see them than just because they are still doing it. I want to be surprised and say wow I cant believed they played that song...or holy moly...that is the first time I ever heard that one live....The hard core fans that pay their hard earned cash over and over year after year should be given a little consideration. I am sure if I were at last nights show I would have enjoyed it and said man they are still great...And they are....but mix it up....change something besides the stage.

It is time. They have far too many great songs to keep playing the same ones over and over....many of the ones they play don't have the intensity they used too...and are tired...who cares if the guy next to you smiled when they started Miss You..tells me that guy has only seen them a few times

Sorry for my venting....just very disappointed in the song selection.

COME ON MICK...MAKE THE STONES GREAT AGAIN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 22:20 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 18, 2018 22:40

Bungo
Another show , another $10,000,000. You gotta love it.
Ronnie and Mick's dye jobs are also absolutely first rate. I wish I knew their stylist.

Anyway, what's the current consensus for best bathroom break song. Personally I vote for "Ride Em On Down".

Set List:

"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Paint It Black"
"Just Your Fool"
"Ride 'Em on Down"
"Neighbours"
"Wild Horses"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Before They Make Me Run"
"The Worst"
"Miss You"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Start Me Up"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Brown Sugar"

Encore

"Gimme Shelter"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Yes, I would agree. The only problem is it's a bit too early in the set and I probably don't need to go at that stage. Therefore, it's possible that it may have to be HTW or IORR....

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: May 18, 2018 22:43

GeorgV

Well, reading the setlist and listening to YT videos is one thing, being there is completely different. Yes, it is the same songs, and yes it is "just" 2 hours an 19 songs (Dylan is 15/16 songs or so and 2 hours WITH a break).

slight digression, but Dylan is currently 20 songs with no break.

syrel

Posted by: gagiwh ()
Date: May 18, 2018 23:04

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 18, 2018 23:14

Just skimmed through the youtube clips. Sounds definitely better to me than No Filter 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-19 00:49 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: May 19, 2018 00:16

Not sure about Sympathy For The Devil opening the show.
Works much better later in the set when it's darker and the lights kick in.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 19, 2018 00:19

Ok seen all the footage out there and this was a really good start, the best start in recent years.
The key to this tour reaching greater heights, the sort of heights many of you dream about, depends on Keith staying clean and sober ( hard to do when hanging around in Hotels for 3 to 4 days between gigs, old habits die hard, ) and Ronnie staying away from his box of tricks ( looking at him last night that wasn't the same Ronnie as a few days ago playing around to Satisfaction in his car.) He looked so gaunt, maybe its the lights and makeup, who knows but i thought he was erratic with his playing, brilliant on Neighbors not so good on SMU and a few others, its not just the solo's, it's like he also forgets to play sometimes and the music suffers, Keith also underplays a lot of the time.

I'm being too critical i know because we have to take into account their ages, but i still get the feeling they are about to fly and seriously Rock hard again.
Perhaps Charlie is struggling the most, he really looked out of his comfort zone last night, his playing was minimal imho.

Ok it will never be 72' or 78' or 81' or 89' or even 2003, but it still can be great, these guys can still Rock and play beautiful ballads like no other Rock band out there, this is why they are still filling stadiums, they also have the best choice of songs from their back catalog.
Last night i witnessed their problem though, i was astounded, the crowd got most excited after the intro to Miss You, this is Micks dilemma, play great songs that only half the audience know to polite applause, or go safe with the best known hits and guarantee audience satisfaction.
The Stones have become a victim of their own success and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Their best known hits are not their best material, it is what it is, no point in us expecting many changes to the set list's, just get over it and enjoy what they play or move on because its too late to expect change from Mick this late in the game.

Mick was great i thought last night , its just so hard to think he will be 75 in two months time, i don't know what deal he did with the devil but its paying off big time winking smiley Mick is looking younger than he has for a while, i just don't know how he does it, there isn't anyone his age doing this like him to compare him too, Roger Daltrey and Steve Tyler move like old farts in comparison, maybe Iggy Pop can still give him a run for his money but not really to my eyes.

Yes i think this could be the mini tour that it all clicks together health permitting, hopefully they will build on this and get up to speed by show number 5 leaving another 10 shows to put those shivers down our spines again.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: May 19, 2018 00:38

syrel
GeorgV

slight digression, but Dylan is currently 20 songs with no break.

syrel
Sorry, my mistake. Yes, he played (great performance) 21 songs in Oslo last year, in less than 2 hours

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 19, 2018 00:42

Based on those video clips, it was a good show. Opening show in a stadium, I can only imagine that the following shows will improve as the band will build up confidence. I like the way Keith sings; no crooning, just rocking!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 19, 2018 01:29

Dare I say it, but I think they played Dublin first as a warm up for the UK shows so that they can hit the ground running there. The press haven’t always been kind to them in their home country, without a show in almost 5 years!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031Next
Current Page: 27 of 31

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home