Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 31
Re: Dublin Ireland 17-May-2018 Rolling Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:11

What a gig

Very tired will post more later

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:14

Strange how you can watch half of the concert (in pretty decent quality) on Youtube on such short notice! Some short remarks from someone who was not there:

- SFTD is a weak opening song. It might have worked in the past, but no longer. Even SMU would work better. They need energy in the opener.
- Only one non-warhorse, Neighbours. If you don't count the blues covers (which I think are boring)

Otherwise this concert looks and sounds about the same as the ones on the 2017 tour. Which, I guess, is a good thing considering their age?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 03:33 by Stoneage.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:18

bleedingman
john lomax
bleedingman
john lomax
keithsman
bleedingman
Keith needs to let "Sympathy" go. He's fast approaching the state Chuck Berry was in at the end and he's relatively much younger. He doesn't even think about the solo so why bother? Sad.

Correction, MICK needs to let Sympathy go, remember Mick decides what songs are played.

Keith's playing on Sympathy was great - WTF are you talking about?? I am a guitarist by the way and I was impressed with his playing tonight.

How long have you been playing? I've been playing 41 years, in no small part thanks to Keith. Love his solo albums. His solos in the original Beggar's and Ya Yas are classic. I want to cry when I hear these half-dozen notes played to death. To each his own.

I have been playing 35 years. And I have a band and we have released 4 albums and played about 1,000 gigs. Look, Keith's solos tonight weren't' Joe Satriani (thank god). His solo in Sympathy wasn't the album solo, but it sounded fine, no bum notes and there were some nice licks. Apart from the 1969 tour (when he was 25 years old) when has he ever played a blinding solo on Sympathy?? And in any event it's possible that the Sympathy solo on Ya YA's was overdubbed in the studio anyway. Look, I have been super critical of Keith(and Ronnie) in the past - I have seen some truly horrendous gigs where I have felt like they were playing like shit and just taking the piss - but I really thought that they played well tonight - it was the focus and tightness/interaction that impressed me. I accept that Keith ain't Eric Clapton, but he never was.

Great to hear you are working and recording. Hope you are doing well. Were you at this show? I think Keith sucks now, just me. I will always appreciate his light but for me he's fading and I'm pretty much done.

Yes, I was at the show. The sound (from where I was standing) was excellent. Keith played solidly - not outstanding, but certainly better than last year. Perhaps the best way of describing it is a solid 6 out of 10 - nothing
stellar, but no major screw ups either. Solid rhythm playing all night. Big contribution from Ronnie. So as an overall band performance I thought it was excellent. I agree he probably (definitely??) is fading as a soloist but tonight he contributed a lot as a band member - there was less posing and more focus on playing and contributing (in my view) and so that why I enjoyed the show.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:19

35love
Good press reviews!

[www.irishtimes.com]

"aggressively fey space wizard" lol - great writing

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:25

john lomax
bleedingman
john lomax
bleedingman
john lomax
keithsman
bleedingman
Keith needs to let "Sympathy" go. He's fast approaching the state Chuck Berry was in at the end and he's relatively much younger. He doesn't even think about the solo so why bother? Sad.

Correction, MICK needs to let Sympathy go, remember Mick decides what songs are played.

Keith's playing on Sympathy was great - WTF are you talking about?? I am a guitarist by the way and I was impressed with his playing tonight.

How long have you been playing? I've been playing 41 years, in no small part thanks to Keith. Love his solo albums. His solos in the original Beggar's and Ya Yas are classic. I want to cry when I hear these half-dozen notes played to death. To each his own.

I have been playing 35 years. And I have a band and we have released 4 albums and played about 1,000 gigs. Look, Keith's solos tonight weren't' Joe Satriani (thank god). His solo in Sympathy wasn't the album solo, but it sounded fine, no bum notes and there were some nice licks. Apart from the 1969 tour (when he was 25 years old) when has he ever played a blinding solo on Sympathy?? And in any event it's possible that the Sympathy solo on Ya YA's was overdubbed in the studio anyway. Look, I have been super critical of Keith(and Ronnie) in the past - I have seen some truly horrendous gigs where I have felt like they were playing like shit and just taking the piss - but I really thought that they played well tonight - it was the focus and tightness/interaction that impressed me. I accept that Keith ain't Eric Clapton, but he never was.

Great to hear you are working and recording. Hope you are doing well. Were you at this show? I think Keith sucks now, just me. I will always appreciate his light but for me he's fading and I'm pretty much done.

Yes, I was at the show. The sound (from where I was standing) was excellent. Keith played solidly - not outstanding, but certainly better than last year. Perhaps the best way of describing it is a solid 6 out of 10 - nothing
stellar, but no major screw ups either. Solid rhythm playing all night. Big contribution from Ronnie. So as an overall band performance I thought it was excellent. I agree he probably (definitely??) is fading as a soloist but tonight he contributed a lot as a band member - there was less posing and more focus on playing and contributing (in my view) and so that why I enjoyed the show.

I was not at the show and will not be at any future shows. Very happy for you and everyone else who had a great time.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:28

Stoneage
Strange how you can watch half of the concert (in pretty decent quality) on Youtube on such short notice! Some short remarks from someone who was not there:

- SFTD is a weak opening song. It might have worked in the past, but no longer. Even SMU would work better. They need energy in the opener.
- Only one non-warhorse, Neighbours. If you don't count the blues covers (which I think are boring).
- Keith is the one looking old.
- Sir Michael's voice is history.

Otherwise this concert looks and sounds about the same as the ones on the 2017 tour. Which, I guess, is a good thing considering their age?

"Sir Michael's voice is history" - he was never Pavarotti, man

Date: May 18, 2018 03:30

Promoman2
Paint it Black video: [youtu.be]

at the 21 second mark, he looks so relieved to have played the intro properly lol lol lol

Date: May 18, 2018 03:37

Yep Send It, I was too harsh there. Now I have watched more videos from the gig and can say that Sir Michael sounds about the same as earlier. Sometimes weak, sometimes better.
He does well on YCAGWYW for instance. My remark about Keith was a bit harsh also. So I erased it.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:38

keithsman
SMU. Mick forgets the words and i don't have words to describe Ronnie's solo.

[www.youtube.com]

The sound of a dying duck in agony...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:38

Stoneage
Only one non-warhorse, Neighbours. If you don't count the blues covers (which I think are boring)

The Worst and Wild Horses aren't warhorses.
So in case someone's complaining about the setlist...a setlist including five rarities is a very fine one concerning this aspect I think.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:45

Technically you are right, SFF. But I wouldn't call them rarities either.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:47

Stoneage
Yep Send It, I was too harsh there. Now I have watched more videos from the gig and can say that Sir Michael sounds about the same as earlier. Sometimes weak, sometimes better.
He does well on YCAGWYW for instance. My remark about Keith was a bit harsh also. So I erased it.

thumbs upcool smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:52

Wild Horses certainly isn't a rarity:

Featured in the Gimme Shelter movie

Closing track on Hot Rocks

Included on Stripped

Performed in 3 concert DVDs between 1998 and 2007

No Expectations, now that's a rarity.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:57

Strange, a Rolling Stones tour premiere and so few people on line...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:57

Promoman2
Brown Sugar video: [youtu.be]
Nice version...wish it could be slightly more uptempo, but I understand why it's not.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:58

Stoneage
The record was broken for most users today (184)...there were hundreds earlier during the show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2018 03:59

Stoneage

Many were on here earlier when the show was happening- "Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018"...

Date: May 18, 2018 04:00

..okey, I hear you. I'm late to the party then!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:01

But being the show was only a brief 19 songs (!!!), most everyone vanished just as fast as they arrived.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 04:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:03

I was there, the 12th person in the queue for GA at the Stadium James Avenue entrance and I easily grabbed a spot on the rail, just off centre, Ronnie's side. I had a great time, my 27th show since 1990 and thought the band sounded decent for a tour opener.A good solid first show with much more to come. See you next Tuesday thumbs up

Date: May 18, 2018 04:05

Keith is going to have to start wearing a durag at the rate he's balding...

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:11

^^^^^^ Pathetic.....

Posted by: TheBlackRose ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:16

Some lovely memories of the first show of this tour!

Yep, he has lots of hair for a 74-year-old. Most of us should be envious. The bandana suits him well. Much better than a hairpiece!

Posted by: jasona93 ()

at the rate of the complaining in here, a place presumably made up of the most hardcore fans, its a minor miracle the band even decides to play. if you want 1972 there are the full year's worth of bootlegs out there. I for one am thrilled they are still doing it and giving everyone who comes out to see them a hell of a night and for many, a thrill of a lifetime.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:18

My VERY HONEST opinion: Very disappointing setlist. SFTD as an opener doesn’t work at all, especially at daylight and without the pyros. The only hell-ish thing about the song these days is that it sounds boring as hell. The band sounds and looks bored, too. Their playing has gotten worse and worse over the last decade in my opinion. They sound like shit pretty often. Remember Coachella? That was embarrassing and painful to listen to at times. Stale and boring setlists, lack of energy musically and visually, ridiculous ticket prices - not much has changed since the ABB Tour it seems. The magic is gone - at last for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 04:24 by Hansman.

Date: May 18, 2018 04:18

...Maybe we are complaining about our own lost youth? Just thinking...

Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:22

How is the pit? I’m in pit B for both London Stadium. Was it very crowded? Hard to move around? Etc...

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:22

You know it's interesting in that probably more than half the people in the audience don't even know most of the warhorses. Your average 30-year-old probably has never heard Honky Tonk Woman. Even your average 40-year-old might never have heard it or if they have they heard it on a classic rock radio station they don't even know who the artist is.

I watched snippets of a few clips. I just can't get into the "thrashing" sound from the band sometimes. Is it me or does Keith's guitar sometimes sound dry like a saw cutting through wood when he does big chunky chords?

I know there is the usual battle between the people that thought that everything was "fantastic" and those that disagree. I hate to say it but sometimes they sound like a "shredded" version of themselves.

I am sure that future shows will be better, but the swing has mostly turned to an uncertain wobble I'm afraid.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 18, 2018 04:26

Hansman
My VERY HONEST opinion: Very disappointing setlist. SFTD as an opener doesn’t work at all, especially at daylight and without the pyros. The only hell-ish thing about the song these days is that it sounds boring as hell. The band sounds and looks bored, too. Their playing has gotten worse and worse over the last decade in my opinion. They sound like shit pretty often. Remember Coachella? That was embarrassing and painful to listen to at times. Stale and boring setlists, lack of energy musically and visually, ridiculous ticket prices - not much has changed since the ABB Tour it seems. The magic is gone - at last for me.

He gets it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 31

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home