Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Where is Supertramp
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 16, 2018 08:08

What has happened don't hear from them anymore. Davies likes the Stones music.

Re: OT: Where is Supertramp
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2018 10:38

They took the long way home.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: May 16, 2018 11:10

Breakfast In America.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 16, 2018 11:13

On my radio right now

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 16, 2018 11:24

They had to go back to School.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 16, 2018 11:42

Roger Hodgson is most likely playing at a nice Native American entertainment complex near you soon.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:10

I am a big Supertramp fan, and I used to see them every time they came to perform live in Norway. They were basically two indivudual writers of songs. Roger Hodgson wrote the harmonic great songs I loved the most, also his voice is great. Rick Davies wrote the other half, they were great too, but my biggest favorites. In 1988 they simply stopped touring. Rick Davie said:

"We'd been out there for about 20 years just recording and touring and it seemed time to have a break with no ideas as to if or when we would come back. We decided not to actually say anything, just sort of fade away like an old soldier."

Then later on, there were the usual differences between two strong people, i.e. Hodgson and Davies, and Rick Davies said the following about a Supertramp reunion:

"In order to play a great show for our fans, you need harmony, both musically and personally. Unfortunately that doesn’t exist between us anymore and I would rather not destroy memories of more harmonious times between all of us."

On a personal side note, which this quote remind me of... I saw Simon & Garfunkel some years ago, they never talked on stage, never made contact, ther were an ice wall between them. They loacked the "harmony"...

Roger Hodgson has been touring solo from time to time. When I don't follow the Stones, and he is coming to Norway, it is great to see him around. He has got great songs, for me Roger Hodgson is Supertramp and I will probably see him as long as he is around.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:27

Although I liked their music and would say I'm a fan, I only actually have a couple of their albums and the Greatest Hits. Somehow, back in the '80's I happened to be aware that Roger Hodgson was releasing a solo album "In The Eye Of The Storm". From the first moment I heard it, it's been one of my favorites and, to this day, I almost always have a copy on CD in the car and it stays in regular rotation on my listening list.

Glad to hear that Roger is still performing. Don't know if I'll ever get the opportunity to see him but I'd like to think I'd enjoy it if I did!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:32

I had tickets to see them in 2015 in London, but tour was called off because of Rick's health (cancer treatment).

I saw them about 15 years ago in New York. They were great.

I saw Roger a couple of years ago at the Albert Hall. Good show, but not Supertramp for me.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:30

There's 'a little bit' more to the story: after a long period of inactivity the Rick Davies-led line up made a few more albums (one in '97, a live album in '98 and one - so far last- studio album in 2002) and undertook several big tours, until Rick's health put an end to that. I always felt that Rick Davies was that somewhat underrated other songwriter in Supertramp. Part of the attraction of the band was the contrast between the two singers/songwriters: the lightweight, poppier side represented by Roger Hodgson and the definitely heavier, prog rock oriented, darker and bluesier side that Rick Davies brought into the sound. Supertramp was one of the first bands that I turned to when I was a kid but after a few years (we're talking circa 1980) the Hodgson style, sound and image put me off a bit (I had discovered the Stones!). When he left the band in 1983 and Rick Davies, unabatedly and unexpectedly, put out a new record in 1985, and a masterpiece at that, after the rather dismal last few albums with Roger Hodgson (that's my opinion anyway), I became interested again. Overall, I would recommend the couple of albums that came before the Breakfast In America lp.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:34

Roger Hodgson is touring all over Europe this summer:

[www.rogerhodgson.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 16, 2018 17:31

Thanks for your input guys,I just love their music, anyone hear how Rick is doing now.Hopefully one day they will do another lp. Saw em in 2010 and they were just amazing.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 16, 2018 17:56

babyblue
OT: Where is Supertramp

I´m so happy that I don´t know that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2018 18:55

I was never a huge fan, though my sister was and bought their albums in the '70's and early '80's, and they were staples on FM radio throughout that period so I was quite familiar with them. I always leaned towards Roger Hodgson's tunes - he wrote some great ones with School being a favorite among many. Seems there was some bad blood between the Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies that came to a head in 2010. Evidently they made an agreement when they parted ways that if Davies toured as Supertramp he wouldn't play any of Hodgson's songs. And then this....

Supertramp feud as Roger Hodgson accuses former bandmate Rick Davies of playing 'his songs'
"Speaking exclusively to the Daily Mail, Hodgson said: 'There is a big difference between imitating someone and being the authentic artist who wrote the song.’ ‘They're singing my songs and using radio ads with my voice to sell the tickets. I have had so many fans writing to me regarding this.’ According to Hodgson, after he left, the band initially did not play his songs. However, over time, the need to sell concert tickets seems to have caused Davies to renege on the claimed agreement".

More details posted on Rogers site:

EXCERPTS OF ROGER HODGSON & SUPERTRAMP NEWS

Sadly, I just read via wiki that Davies was diagnosed with cancer in 2015, but can't find any other info regarding his recovery and/or current health situation - hope he's good!.

"Davies was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and cancelled the band's 2015 tour"

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 16, 2018 19:34

Was a huge fan in the 80s and my first rock concert was actually a Supertramp show in February 1986, quite an experience ! They were touring behind "Brother Where You Bound", some good stuff on it as well as on "Free as a Bird" in 1988 but at the end of the day Davies just didn't have the tunes...

Davies was a pretty "straight" guy while Roger was the "artist", "always very confused" in Davies' words. Super talented guy though and he could play anything like Macca or Winwood, keyboards obviously but a terrific guitar player too. When he quit in 1983 (he hated the "Brother Where you Bound" track and Davies hated "It's Raining Again"...) he let Davies keep the name against the (unwritten) promise that Supertramp would not play his songs live. They kept that promise in 1986 but not in 1988 and he was furious.

They did try to write together again in 1992 (I think a party at A&M had gotten them talking again) and it was going pretty well according to Hodgson but it fizzled out when Davies insisted on having co-writes on everything like in the old days and to have his wife Sue be the manager.

Saw Roger solo a couple of times, not bad, but it's a mellow (he "talks" a lot) "oldies" show. Too bad because his 2000 album was really good but it seems he'll never release another one although he claimed back in the day he had 80 songs ready for release.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 16, 2018 23:15

Again, I feel it's necessary to point out that Rick Davies was an important member. In my opinion he was the one that could play really well (piano). Roger played keyboards (often that same kind of repetitive wurlitzer chords, not piano) and a little guitar, he was proficient enough in both but nowhere near a virtuoso in anything really. Yes he had the 'hits' (they never had many or big hits so that term is relative), but who wants hits anyway. The term 'deep cuts' springs to mind and that is certainly what Rick was all about. Also I think that Rick was at least as good a singer as Roger. I admit that Rick 'didn't have the tunes in the end' (the Free As A Bird lp was really bad and the later ones didn't bring back the sound of the 70s, but hey, does this remind us of another band perhaps?) but then Roger certainly didnt have 'the tunes' either. Nobody I knew that liked Supertramp liked Rogers first solo record when it came out in 1984 and his second one 'Hai Hai' I found really awful. I think he did one other album or so and no one bought that one either.

This opinion from a guy who has all Supertramp records (I even play them at times lol), so I really dont hate them, but I do admit that I was glad that Roger left the band at the time. Pity that the band didnt survive in a better way than it did.

PS Supertramp did have a separate guitar player at one time btw, Richard Palmer was his name or so. Now HE was a pretty good player, who not only played a lot of guitar (Roger was still a bassist at that time) but also wrote all their lyrics. That was in 1970 on their superb first album. Nobody seems to like it but I do, a lot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 23:54 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: May 17, 2018 01:28

Watching the Paris 1979 concert, seems like a band with two solo guys on it, each one with the same backing musicians.

Rick and Roger were great songwriters each one with their differences, while Rick is more soul and progresive rock oriented, Roger is a pop hit writer, so I think they were able to go on with this differences until Breakfast in America came out.

Breakfast in America was so famous not for Rick songs but for Roger ones. I think this big difference in success was the begining of the end of their partnership.

Bye
Fernando

Date: May 17, 2018 02:01

Fernandobsas
Breakfast in America was so famous not for Rick songs but for Roger ones. I think this big difference in success was the begining of the end of their partnership.

Interesting take on things, Rick couldnt cope with Rogers success when Breakfast In America became such a huge album. Rick's Goodbye Stranger was a single that got some airplay in the US I think (featuring a cool guitar solo from Roger btw, I give you that), but it wasn't a hit really. The rest of his songs on that album were mostly kind of inconspicuous, although I prefer them to most of Rogers songs (but thats me).
I do recall an interview from around 1983 in which Roger said that, in hindsight, he should have quit the band in 1974 already. Probably the problem was there already back then, but it got more pressing with the increased success that they enjoyed in 1979.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 17, 2018 06:22

SomeGuy
Again, I feel it's necessary to point out that Rick Davies was an important member. In my opinion he was the one that could play really well (piano). Roger played keyboards (often that same kind of repetitive wurlitzer chords, not piano) and a little guitar, he was proficient enough in both but nowhere near a virtuoso in anything really. Yes he had the 'hits' (they never had many or big hits so that term is relative), but who wants hits anyway. The term 'deep cuts' springs to mind and that is certainly what Rick was all about. Also I think that Rick was at least as good a singer as Roger. I admit that Rick 'didn't have the tunes in the end' (the Free As A Bird lp was really bad and the later ones didn't bring back the sound of the 70s, but hey, does this remind us of another band perhaps?) but then Roger certainly didnt have 'the tunes' either. Nobody I knew that liked Supertramp liked Rogers first solo record when it came out in 1984 and his second one 'Hai Hai' I found really awful. I think he did one other album or so and no one bought that one either.

This opinion from a guy who has all Supertramp records (I even play them at times lol), so I really dont hate them, but I do admit that I was glad that Roger left the band at the time. Pity that the band didnt survive in a better way than it did.

PS Supertramp did have a separate guitar player at one time btw, Richard Palmer was his name or so. Now HE was a pretty good player, who not only played a lot of guitar (Roger was still a bassist at that time) but also wrote all their lyrics. That was in 1970 on their superb first album. Nobody seems to like it but I do, a lot.

Surelysmiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2018 13:01

I'm not a huge fan of what Roger does onstage these days for reasons outlined above but I stick by my assertion that he's a very talented melodist and musician. Again, apart from Winwood and Macca I can't really think of anyone who's as accomplished on keyboards and guitars. His first solo album from 1984 was terrific and his third one in 2000 was pretty good too (although by his own admission he didn't find the time to add any electric guitar parts) anyone who hasn't heard them should check them out. The second one, well, it had its moments but the production was atrocious, very "LA 1986/1987" a bit like Mick's "Primitive Cool".

He needs someone to make him "focus" though, Davies did that for a while with great success, his (now ex) wife Karuna tried to get him back on track in 1996 with the concerts in Nevada City with John Helliwell and a (French ?) guy called Alan Simon managed to make him record that third album but since then there's this kind of "guru" manager that knows nothing about music and just seems happy to make him tour and presumably take a good percentage of his earnings...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 17, 2018 13:57

I used to listen a lot to Supertramp, even saw them in a drenched Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam. But I never made the distinction between Roger or Rick songs. I just liked to listen to their music.

Date: May 17, 2018 15:48

They were pretty different types of songs though, but you're right, the "mixture" is what made them great.

Hodgson's still got the chops on guitar too, check out "Had a Dream" live in 2016 [www.youtube.com] - voice unchanged as well.

If only he could "focus" and not just coast on small oldies' tours...

--------------

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:05

Hodgson is on the list of artists I wish to see live, but I never did yet.
Won't be this year either...

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 18, 2018 11:29

I saw Supertramp here in Lisbon in 2012, and they were amazing. It was a fantastic concert.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 12:14

bv

Roger Hodgson has been touring solo from time to time. When I don't follow the Stones, and he is coming to Norway, it is great to see him around. He has got great songs, for me Roger Hodgson is Supertramp and I will probably see him as long as he is around.

Roger Hodgson is Touring frequently. I've seen him in the Netherlands in small venues and the occasional festivel. Really good shows. Unfortunately his management does not allow footage on Youtube for some reason. We are lucky in that way with our Stones footage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 12:15 by Promoman2.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 18, 2018 12:24

Yes.

The Logical Song, Breakfast in America and Take the Long Way Home, all written by Hodgson.
And It's Raining Again, last hit from the band too...

SomeGuy
Fernandobsas

Interesting take on things, Rick couldnt cope with Rogers success when Breakfast In America became such a huge album. Rick's Goodbye Stranger was a single that got some airplay in the US I think (featuring a cool guitar solo from Roger btw, I give you that), but it wasn't a hit really. The rest of his songs on that album were mostly kind of inconspicuous, although I prefer them to most of Rogers songs (but thats me).
I do recall an interview from around 1983 in which Roger said that, in hindsight, he should have quit the band in 1974 already. Probably the problem was there already back then, but it got more pressing with the increased success that they enjoyed in 1979.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 12:26 by powerage78.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home