Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dublin Song Vote
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 16, 2018 13:11

I wonder why they bother putting 4 songs, 2 of which are rarities and 2 of which have in the past been rotated at lots of gigs and on fairly regular radio play?

Of course Wild Horses and Angie will win the "popular" vote seeing as many of the facebook and twitter users who vote probably don't know the others.

You can see in real time now the reason why the Stones setlist is filled with warhorses - it's what the vast majority of the audience want.

However, just because it doesn't win the song vote does not mean they won't throw it in anyway. I don't really mind as long as they play well. It's the musicianship and atmosphere that make a gig, not the set list.

Date: May 16, 2018 13:23

Current standings on Facebook:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 13:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 16, 2018 13:36

Ignore this rubbish !

2120 S Michigan Ave !

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:14

waterrats
Here's the current vote from Twitter:

If these percentages are right, it would seem to justify their warhorse dominated setlist.

I did a tactical vote hoping for Moonlight Mile in London.

Date: May 16, 2018 16:15

Hairball
RollingStonesFan
Hairball
I'd vote for Moonlight Mile, followed by Faraway Eyes.
Probably either Wild Horses or Angie will be the safe pick - but aren't both of these already played quite often?
Seems one or the other has been played at nearly every show I've ever attended.

None of These was played very often, even Wild Horses and Angie weren't played much over the last years

I know Faraway Eyes and Moonlight Mile aren't, but the other two seemingly are.
Look at both Desert Trip weekends which I attended just two years ago.

Wild Horses at Desert Trip wkd. 1
Angie at Desert Trip wkd. 2.

And one or the other might have been played at the *Vegas show, but the setlist was shortened and Keith did a three song set due to Mick's illness.
Seems to me they border on being warhorses, but could just be one or the other are played at nearly all the shows I've attended since 1981 - probably a majority of them.

They didn't play "Wild Horses" since August 1976 until Indianapolis 1994.

Then only one time in 1997 (PPV) , not at all in 1998 and not at all in 1999.

Only since 2002 has it been rotated in there. And,to be honest,they didn't play it very often in 2005 either.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:25

Only since 2002 has it been rotated in there. And,to be honest,they didn't play it very often in 2005 either

The song became very popular during the last 15 years or so, Susan Boyle had a Top 10 hit with it, it was used in movies and series so it went to warhorse status.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:32

I voted for Far away eyes.Sounds like it's already decided upon,a bog standard set list.Probably get Wild Horses.

Posted by: CallM ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:38

Result announced at 6pm today according to the app

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:45

Wonder why they would announce the results before the concert. Seems silly to put up the big screen with the 4 songs as if it was just decided.

Date: May 16, 2018 17:25

georgelicks
Only since 2002 has it been rotated in there. And,to be honest,they didn't play it very often in 2005 either

The song became very popular during the last 15 years or so, Susan Boyle had a Top 10 hit with it, it was used in movies and series so it went to warhorse status.

I don't know. It was quite popular in the late '90's also ..... Bridges / No Security era when they were not performing it.

I actually heard it a lot more on the radio back then.

"Let it Loose" was used in a very popular movie ; "She Said Yeah" in a cologne commercial ; "I'm Free" in advertisements.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: May 16, 2018 18:07

I voted for Moonlight Mile - not that it matters.

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: May 16, 2018 18:10

I voted for Moonlight Mile as well

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2018 18:27

Winning Ugly VXII
georgelicks

I don't know. It was quite popular in the late '90's also ..... Bridges / No Security era when they were not performing it.

I actually heard it a lot more on the radio back then.

"Let it Loose" was used in a very popular movie ; "She Said Yeah" in a cologne commercial ; "I'm Free" in advertisements.

I hear Wild Horses seemingly at least once a week on local classic rock/oldie radio stations in Southern California, and it's been that was since the dawn of civilization.
Granted we have at least four major classic rock/oldie stations, so if it's not played on one it's almost guaranteed it will be played on another at any given time.

Whatever happened to Susan Boyle...they should have her as a guest at one of the shows to duet on Wild Horses...maybe Edinburgh will get lucky. winking smiley

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: May 16, 2018 19:33

Both Wild Horses and Angie were played in Dublin at the point in 2003
yes it was 15 years ago

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 16, 2018 19:45

mattstones
I voted for Moonlight Mile as well

Me too, as you can see above ... :-)

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 16, 2018 19:54

Of course I voted for moonlight mile.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2018 20:27

sjs12
I wonder why they bother putting 4 songs, 2 of which are rarities and 2 of which have in the past been rotated at lots of gigs and on fairly regular radio play?

Of course Wild Horses and Angie will win the "popular" vote seeing as many of the facebook and twitter users who vote probably don't know the others.

You can see in real time now the reason why the Stones setlist is filled with warhorses - it's what the vast majority of the audience want.

However, just because it doesn't win the song vote does not mean they won't throw it in anyway. I don't really mind as long as they play well. .

Good points. It is a bit tough game for "Moonlight Mile" and "Faraway Eyes" to compete against such well-known classics as "Angie" and "Wild Horses" - probably with "Ruby Tuesday" their most beloved 'ballads'. They could as easily test how, say, "Stray Cat Blues" or "Rocks Off" will do against "Satisfaction" or "Start Me Up"...

But what I wholeheartly agree with you is your last sentence: "It's the musicianship and atmosphere that make a gig, not the set list."thumbs up The setlist has never 'ruined' my Stones concert experience, but something else, if that has happened (not actually ever). I think it is a symptom of something deeper when the interest from the performance and over-all experience changes to the singular criticism of the setlist. Is it because of the over-dose of information provided by internet, or people having too many gigs under their belts? Or the band just playing so damn poorly that to make some difference something 'odd' is needed?

Blessed are the innocent, non-spoiled ears and eyes of the casual fans!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 16, 2018 21:00

Moonlight mile, all others overplayed

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 16, 2018 22:24

Facebook Results
28%- Moonlight Mile
72%- Wild Horses
This poll has ended.
15.6K Votes

34%- Far Away Eyes
66%- Angie
This poll has ended.
16.2K Votes

Twitter Results
16%-Far Away Eyes
27%-Angie
19%-Moonlight Mile
38%-Wild Horses
8,705 votes•Final results

That's a lot of votes with Wild Horses garnering the most.

Hope to see Far Away Eyes and Moonlight Mile show up in the regular setlists somewhere Down the Line..

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 16, 2018 23:03

Looking like great choices. Looking forward to following the tour with you all...

Posted by: CallM ()
Date: May 16, 2018 23:52

Moonlight mile won the vote on the app

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 17, 2018 00:28

2006 wild horses was played in shanghai

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 17, 2018 01:25

CallM

Now that is interesting. I wonder why the app is such a different result?

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: May 17, 2018 01:50

I thought maybe it would be an out of our heads song like mercy mercy

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 17, 2018 02:05

CallM

Gotta be because those that have and vote the app are more likely to be hardcore fans, as opposed to more casual fans voting with ease on Twitter and FB.

App Result
Moonlight Mile- 32%
Far Away Eyes- 26%
Wild Horses- 25%
Angie- 17%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 02:07 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2018 03:43

In that case they should have two votes - one exclusively for the hardcore fans who use the app, and one for the casual facebook/twitter fans - and then play the winner of both.
In most cases (maybe all cases) there will be different results as seen now - the hardcores going for something a bit deeper while the casual masses vote for something more popular/well known.
As it stands,the casual/popular vote will always win as is the case now with WildHorses/Angie. Even when they combine all votes from the app and facebook/twitter, the casual voters outnumber the hardcore voters.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 17, 2018 04:42

Gazza
Not a prayer of hearing the best song of the four - Moonlight Mile - then.

No doubt about it. The only way we'll get Moonlight Mile is if Mick asks the crowd what the fellas want to hear. Otherwise, we are doomed. If you let the females control the vote then count on the softy greatest hits. 90% of the ladies probably never heard of Moonlight Mile.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 17, 2018 05:47

The Sicilian
Gazza

No doubt about it. The only way we'll get Moonlight Mile is if Mick asks the crowd what the fellas want to hear. Otherwise, we are doomed. If you let the females control the vote then count on the softy greatest hits. 90% of the ladies probably never heard of Moonlight Mile.

Dude dude dude,
it’s got NOTHING to do with male or female.
I got ‘Moonlight Mile’
on down the road, down the road, yeahhhhh

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 17, 2018 08:00

35love
The Sicilian
Gazza

Dude dude dude,
it’s got NOTHING to do with male or female.
I got ‘Moonlight Mile’
on down the road, down the road, yeahhhhh

Sure it doesn't. If Peter Frampton held a song vote with "Show Me The Way" or "I'll Give You Money" guess what will win with the ladies.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: May 17, 2018 10:49

Of course I pray for MM or FAE but it will probably be Angie. Too bad.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home