Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Stones 'Hi-Res CD' reissues from Japan
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 30, 2018 14:05

An interesting article (in german) by [www.Sempre-Audio.at] where they tried to rip a MQA-CD. It works and the Streaming-Players recognized and decoded the MQA-file.

But it was only 352.8kHz/16bit due to the Red-Book-compatibility of the MQA-CD.

While [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] says the original DSD-Master was converted to 352.8kHz/24bit it looks like that due to the Audio-CD-compatibility you'll only get 352.8kHz/16bit after the full MQA-decoding.

Sempre-Audio.at said in the article above the sonic quality of the MQA-Test-Tracks were better than a regular CD, much better via Streaming (due to full 24bit) and even more better from the also available SACD.

An Japanese article about MQA-CD-ripping: [www.Phileweb.com] came (on page 5) to a similar conclusion: "it can be speculated that MQA can basically reproduce with sound source data alone without relying on external tag information and 16 bits instead of 24 bits can be used."

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 30, 2018 16:15

Irix
kowalski

Anyone knows where to get a MQA player or whatever it's called ?

You could try to get one of the last Oppo UDP-205 4K-UHD-Players - [OppoDigital.com] .

Oppo wanted to add the MQA-compatibility via Firmware-Update. Dunno if the Firmware also recognizes the MQA-CDs.

Oppo Customer Service: service@oppodigital.com .

Thanks. It's good news it can be added by firmware update. I have a small Pioneer receiver which can read about every audio format currently available from CD to DSD. Maybe it'll get a MQA firmware update.

Date: April 30, 2018 17:10

kowalski

It's good news it can be added by firmware update.

Yes, but I think that's in this case Oppo-specific because the UDP-205 Player has the new ESS 9038Pro DAC.

To unfold MQA twice to it's full 352.8kHz/24bit quality it requires an Hardware-DAC with known characteristic. In Software it unfolds only once to 88.2kHz or 96kHz.

Date: April 30, 2018 18:15

100 MQA-UHQCD titles by [www.CDJapan.co.jp]

100 MQA-UHQCD titles by [www.jpc.de]

External MQA-capable DAC: ifi nano iDSD Black Label - [ifi-audio.com]

External MQA-capable DAC: Project DAC Box S2+ - [www.hificonsult.at]

An important thing for direct MQA-CD playback is if the external DAC is capable to decode the MQA-Signal via S/PDIF-Input. Some external MQA-DACs can only decode MQA via USB - but there're barely CD-Players with USB-Output.

Date: May 1, 2018 04:55

Irix
External MQA-capable DAC: ifi nano iDSD Black Label - [ifi-audio.com]

I have the LE version of this DAC. I don't think it can read MQA currently though.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 19, 2018 14:19

Maindefender
[www.stereophile.com]

For what it's worth. One CD is not breaking the bank, and IORR with a little enhancement sonically is intriguing to me.

My IORR shipped today, still excited. I’ve always had a soft spot for this album. Gritty and in your face..>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 20, 2018 05:23

kowalski
Anyone knows where to get a MQA player or whatever it's called ? Are they supposed to issue new CD players with MQA capability ?

Sony Walkman ZX-300.
[helpguide.sony.net]

Date: June 20, 2018 15:07

I saw SF yesterday in a Tower records shop. It's actually the same source as the platinum SHM-CD, ie the 2011 DSD masters. Couldn't convince myself to buy it... for the moment !

Date: January 10, 2019 19:25

The at the CES 2019 newly introduced multi-digital Player SL-G700 by Technics can play Streams, CDs, SACDs, MQA-Files as well as MQA-CDs - [www.Technics.com] .

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 20, 2021 18:44

Has anyone here listened to these Stones high-res CDs yet????

Drew

Date: February 20, 2021 19:00

drewmaster

Has anyone here listened to these Stones high-res CDs yet????

Yes, EOMS - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 20, 2021 19:20

Thanks mate!

Drew

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1334
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home