Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Stones 'Hi-Res CD' reissues from Japan
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:34

Universal Music Japan will reissue some Stones albums on a new CD format that is called "Hi-Res CD".

Albums are :

Sticky Fingers [www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Exile On Main St [www.cdjapan.co.jp]

It's Only Rock n' Roll [www.cdjapan.co.jp]

The masters used are from the 2011 DSD flat transfers.

Description
Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2011, using UK original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

More releases on Hi-Res CD :
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

UHQ CD explained :
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

MQA technology explained : [www.mqa.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 16:03 by kowalski.

Re: New Stones 'Hi-Res CD' reissues from Japan
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:34

Thanks, think I'll take a flyer on IORR......smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:39

So....you have to buy a MQA player? What the hell is that? A dust magnet like my poor SACD player? (What a great format that was.)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:00

24FPS

So....you have to buy a MQA player? What the hell is that?

Japanese kid's stuff eye rolling smiley

I don't understand the whole MQA-Hype: for Streaming it's only a question of bandwidth, at Discs there're SACD and BluRay-Audio - and HDDs/SSDs/SDCards are large enough for lossless HiRes-files ....

Date: April 25, 2018 18:08

[www.stereophile.com]

For what it's worth. One CD is not breaking the bank, and IORR with a little enhancement sonically is intriguing to me.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:13

Thanks for the info. Do I need yet another copy of Sticky Fingers?

Date: April 26, 2018 02:27

These remasters were already released previoulsy several times (on SHM-SACD and SHM-CD and even platinum SHM-CD...). Not sure what a "Hi-Res Cd" can add...

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 26, 2018 02:36

kowalski
These remasters were already released previoulsy several times (on SHM-SACD and SHM-CD and even platinum SHM-CD...). Not sure what a "Hi-Res Cd" can add...
Well, it can add some reduction to the width of your wallet winking smiley

Date: April 26, 2018 03:16

kowalski

How did those sound?

Date: April 26, 2018 03:33

Maindefender
kowalski

How did those sound?

Very good. These are transfers from the original tapes.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 26, 2018 13:59

I've got 21 SACD's that were released several years ago, I play the on my OPPO-203 bluray player which will play any format I throw at it...I love HD music!

Date: April 26, 2018 15:17

That must be the ABKCO SACD's.

Date: April 26, 2018 16:30

kowalski

That must be the ABKCO SACD's.

It were 22 SACDs by ABKCO in 2002: [iorr.org] .

More SACDs (Universal Music 2011): [iorr.org] .

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 26, 2018 22:33

Gotta move to Japan... My new profession will be to come up with "new" audio formats every couple of years to enable the music industry to sell "old wine in new bottles" (so to speak) again and again... All this with a mysterious "Japan" tag that guarantees high prices for the consumer and better profits for the biz...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 22:34 by retired_dog.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2018 23:26

What is wrong with people? Blu Ray is an absolute fantastic way to listen to music, and it's universal across all territories. I have an Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore on Blu Ray that sounds like you're on stage with the group. Of course, as always, there are very limited releases of an audio only format on Blu Ray. Just like SACD. SACD was fantastic, but for some reason they don't sell. They need to just settle on Blu Ray and put out vintage releases.

Date: April 26, 2018 23:40

24FPS

They need to just settle on Blu Ray and put out vintage releases.

At least there're HiRes-Downloads - e.g Qobuz.com or Highresaudio.com in Europe and AcousticSounds.com or ProStudioMasters.com in North America .... and many more: [www.FindHDmusic.com] .

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 27, 2018 00:15

So you upgrade your music library and you have the ultimate 24-bit DACs in your amplifier connected to your brand new MQA II compatible player and your speaker cables cost $2000 apiece. There is not a single spinning fan anywhere in your audio chain. You are bit-perfect with sub-picosecond jitter. You regularly check your ear wax.

Then your girlfriend accidentally bumps into one of the egg cartons stapled onto your wall and crushes it and it's all over.

Date: April 27, 2018 00:36

More seriously, from just spending 10 minutes on YouTube and reading some comments, MQA is actually quite controversial and it is a lossy encoding method. I don't get it because don't we already have enough bandwidth to stream high-resolution audio already? It's sounding like a solution in search of a problem. I suppose you can also stream FLACs without too much difficulty, but I am not sure if FLACs support the higher bit depth and the higher sampling rates.
And then of course you have the latest Dolby Digital whatever on Blu-ray that probably supports lossless 5.1 and 7.1 audio channels at high bit depth and sampling rates.

It's a zoo.

Date: April 27, 2018 01:17

And I found a really nice audio guy in my adventures on the Interwebs!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 28, 2018 03:15

Again the band trying to sell us the same old same old.....for ^%%$$# sake....how many copies of each title does a person need?.....evidently the answer is 25...oh don't forget to buy the LP box set coming soon.....sigh...

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: April 28, 2018 14:05

I wonder if the Stones eventually will release some box set(s) as the new HD vinyl format... smiling smiley

Date: April 28, 2018 15:00

rollingon

I wonder if the Stones eventually will release some box set(s) as the new HD vinyl format... smiling smiley

Wasn't Vinyl always HD .... confused smiley

And there're of course some Vinyl Box sets: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Date: April 28, 2018 15:45

kowalski

Universal Music Japan will reissue some Stones albums on a new CD format that is called "Hi-Res CD".

They're also available from 20-Jun-2018 at jpc.de:

Sticky Fingers - [www.jpc.de]

Exile On Main St. - [www.jpc.de]

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - [www.jpc.de]

As far as I've understood it, the HiRes-CDs are playable in every Standard-CD-Player but you'll only hear the Standard-CD-Quality (PCM 44.1 kHz/16bit). For HighRes (in this case 352.8kHz/24bit) you'll need to connect an MQA-capable DAC to the digital output of your Standard-CD-Player. Similar as SHM (Super High Material) the UHQCD technology moulds the pits better (more accurately) into the CD due to a special Polymer-layer.

For those who already own the (SHM-)SACDs, BluRay-Audio or lossless HighRes-Downloads there's no real advantage of the UHQCD/MQA-CDs.

Date: April 30, 2018 04:09

Anyone knows where to get a MQA player or whatever it's called ? Are they supposed to issue new CD players with MQA capability ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2018 07:54

Just read thee other day that OPPO have ceased producing
DVD/BLURAY/CD players .....

Probably cheaper to run an MQA Dac .... ???????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 30, 2018 11:12

kowalski
Anyone knows where to get a MQA player or whatever it's called ? Are they supposed to issue new CD players with MQA capability ?

Go Meridian UK.
[www.whathifi.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2018 11:32

mmmmm Meridian make great equipment ...
Owned a couple of the earlier CD players some years ago

ROCKMAN

Date: April 30, 2018 12:15

Thanks Toru. Interesting price... smiling smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 30, 2018 12:24

Toru A
kowalski

Go Meridian UK.
[www.whathifi.com]
I would say it is a bit overpriced for solid state electronics device. Can't see a single vacuum tube sticking out. You can't get warm tube sound from ssa no matter what you try winking smiley.

Date: April 30, 2018 13:15

kowalski

Anyone knows where to get a MQA player or whatever it's called ?

You could try to get one of the last Oppo UDP-205 4K-UHD-Players - [OppoDigital.com] .

Oppo wanted to add the MQA-compatibility via Firmware-Update.

Edit: according to Oppo's Customer Service ([email protected]) the UDP-205 does also support MQA-CDs: [Forums.SteveHoffman.tv] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 17:50 by Irix.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home