Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20
Re: 'The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016' - 15 June 2018
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 1, 2018 15:50

Deltics

The download version of "Exile" has the outtake of "Loving Cup" from the deluxe edition. I don't know what else they've messed up.

Looks like B2B and ABB too: [iorr.org] .

But I've read a comment in the Steve-Hoffman-Forum that the Download-files from B2B are now complete ....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 1, 2018 16:54

Irix
Deltics

The download version of "Exile" has the outtake of "Loving Cup" from the deluxe edition. I don't know what else they've messed up.

Looks like B2B and ABB too: [iorr.org] .

But I've read a comment in the Steve-Hoffman-Forum that the Download-files from B2B are now complete ....

The versions of both I received were complete.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: July 1, 2018 17:05

Deltics

Yes, and it is in 32 bit while the rest of Exile is only in 16 bit.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 2, 2018 15:44

After more careful analysis the situation with digital download became even more weird. I run the whole set through Dynamic Range Meter @ foobar2000 and these are the results

Sticky Fingers 16/44.1 - 2009 remaster
Exile On Main St. 16/44.1 except for Loving Cup which is the outtake and is 24/44.1 - 1994 Virgin remaster apart of Loving Cup which is 0.49 dB shifted comparing 2010 bonus disc.
Goats Head Soup 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster with uncensored Star, Star
It's Only Rock 'n Roll 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster
Black and Blue 16/44.1 - 2009 remaster
Some Girls 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster
Emotional Rescue 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster
Tattoo You 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster
Undercover 16/44.1 - 2009 remaster
Dirty Work 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster
Steel Wheels 16/44.1 - 2009 remaster
Voodoo Lounge 24/44.1 - Level shifted 2009 remaster
Bridges To Babylon 16/44.1 - original Virgin version 1997
A Bigger Bang 16/44.1 - 2009 remaster (which is marginally different from original 2005)
Blue & Lonesome 24/88.2 - HD tracks version with 0.01 dB shift
Level shift means that on 2009 remastered CD the tracks are usually clipped to -0.11 dB, while for download they are clipped to -0.61 dB or -0.80 dB.
What a mess!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-02 16:08 by ironbelly.

Date: July 2, 2018 16:54

Vinyl Box is too expensive for me. And also I do not have turntable. I was actually thinking that in the future I could possibly (if budget allows) buy some of the new versions of Virgin Albums when they have been mastered properly for this (vinyl) release (and sold separately). Because the remasters from 2009 (Marcussen) are really very bad, overcompressed and too loud. Therefore I have never bought them, I have bought majority of Stones' albums from original Virgin releases or Bob Ludwig ABKCO remasters.

But it is bad that associated HD download is not HD, moreover, that the Virgin albums are not available in true HD like 24/48 (or 24/96 but 24/48 would be OK).

16/44.1 bit audio is dithered and sharply filtered - no HD (while CD format is enough for normal use - but 24/48 is "optimal")

Hope someday also the "recent" albums (that are in the box) will be available in improved mastering, although the original (not Marcussen) mastering is pretty good already. But to note one bad example, A Bigger Bang has been brickwalled and overcompressed and I do not know about "better" version.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-02 17:00 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 4, 2018 02:47

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 4, 2018 03:33

rogerriffin
[www.analogplanet.com]
Great article, thanks for posting it.
Even for a non-audiophile like myself, I could follow along with the process.

Have been debating getting this, and this article has gone a long way towards helping with the decision.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 6, 2018 03:22

Anyone else have problems w/ their 'Emotional Rescue' ?

On my FIRST spin of Side-A, "Dance" has a skip in it.

Really?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2018 07:48

Vinyl is a bunch of crap. After hearing Blu Ray Audio CDs I don't see the use of going through the froo froo of hipster vinyl.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 6, 2018 11:05

Marhsall
Anyone else have problems w/ their 'Emotional Rescue' ?

On my FIRST spin of Side-A, "Dance" has a skip in it.

Really?
There were tons of complains about poor quality pressing for this box on Hoffman's forum. I believe this is because vinyls made their mainstream comeback too fast. As a result - pressing runs increase and quality control drops. I will not be surprised that vinyl guys will find themselves in the position like in old good times. I mean, hunting for a specific pressing from a specific plant because the rest are crap.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 19, 2018 23:35

UMGcustomersupport@umusic.com Email if you need the download. They responded to me within an hour. My box # was 529 btw. Anyone have a lower number?

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 20, 2018 18:34

mine is #00238

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 20, 2018 23:38

Weekenddeal at Saturn.de €315,-

[www.saturn.de]

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: July 21, 2018 21:17

I read in this thread that on this release, Mixed Emotions has a "wrong", organ-strong mix and Fingerprint File got a new remake from the master.
Would anyone please share just these 2 tracks somehow?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2018 00:11

There's some interesting infos on this article from Goldmine Magazine.

Is the latest Rolling Stones’ behemoth vinyl box set worth the big bucks?
August 29, 2018 - Dave Thompson

In fact, he (Abbey Road Studios’ Miles Showell, the man behind the remastering) admits to just one significant alteration — or, should we say, reversion.

“The only track I changed from the tape I was given was ‘Fingerprint File.’ It had been fiddled with on the original cut, and when it’s been remastered in the years since then, they’ve gone with what was on the tape, as opposed to what was done in 1974.

“I spoke with management and said ‘I think we should try and recreate what was done originally. Let’s slow it down to the speed that’s on the record, because that’s the first pressing, that’s obviously how they wanted it to come out, and it’s vastly different in speed. It’s not a mistake, and that’s the only time I brought in any changes. It was important to try and place it back into the same ballpark as it was meant to be. Although actually, a lot of that original track was recorded out of phase. It’s a real mess. God knows what was happening in the studio!”

Full article: [www.goldminemag.com]

Date: August 30, 2018 00:32

Cristiano Radtke

In fact, he (Abbey Road Studios’ Miles Showell, the man behind the remastering) admits to just one significant alteration — or, should we say, reversion.

“The only track I changed from the tape I was given was ‘Fingerprint File.’ It had been fiddled with on the original cut, and when it’s been remastered in the years since then, they’ve gone with what was on the tape, as opposed to what was done in 1974.

“I spoke with management and said ‘I think we should try and recreate what was done originally. Let’s slow it down to the speed that’s on the record, because that’s the first pressing, that’s obviously how they wanted it to come out, and it’s vastly different in speed. It’s not a mistake, and that’s the only time I brought in any changes. It was important to try and place it back into the same ballpark as it was meant to be. Although actually, a lot of that original track was recorded out of phase. It’s a real mess. God knows what was happening in the studio!”

Not to mention the different version of "Mixed Emotions"!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2018 00:36

Deltics
Cristiano Radtke

Yep! There's also some people who say that Rock and a Hard Place has a different mix.

Date: August 30, 2018 01:48

Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
Cristiano Radtke

Yep! There's also some people who say that Rock and a Hard Place has a different mix.

The version of "Fingerprint File" is the same one that appeared on the Japanese SHM CD of IORR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-12 12:55 by Deltics.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 30, 2018 21:41

Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
Cristiano Radtke

Well..i did not hear anything different
Jeroen

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: September 12, 2018 12:12

mine is #09092

Date: September 12, 2018 12:24

Deltics
Cristiano Radtke
Deltics
Cristiano Radtke

The version of "Fingerprint File" is the same one that appeared on the compilation "Time Waits For No One" released in 1979.
It was also on the Japanese SHM CD of IORR.

How is it different - an edit? I never noticed... smiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2018 12:29

24FPS
Vinyl is a bunch of crap. After hearing Blu Ray Audio CDs I don't see the use of going through the froo froo of hipster vinyl.

LOL

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: November 22, 2018 12:32

To download the files does not let me put the code on the web page that comes out on the card someone has downloaded them without problems

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 22, 2018 12:38

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

LOL

Not all of we vinyl fans are trendy hipsters.

Many are just the opposite ...old dinosaurs or luddites like me grinning smiley

That said...I can't afford this boxed set either.

Why the aren't the albums made available separately too ?
[ I know some would sell a lot better than others but still ...]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 12:40 by Spud.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 22, 2018 21:57

24FPS

here is part of the answer

youtube

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 21:58 by djgab.

Posted by: rara ()
Date: November 23, 2018 11:10

available today for £287.99 on Amazon UK as part of the black friday deals:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: November 23, 2018 13:30

rara
available today for £287.99 on Amazon UK as part of the black friday deals:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

"Cheaper" here :
[www.amazon.it]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 23, 2018 15:03

Reading some of the messages above...is there a general consensus that, sound quality wise, ABKCO have done a better job with their archival releases than Universal?
Would be ironic, given that the musicians themselves (presumably) have some input into their post ABKCO product.
Or maybe they don't?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 23, 2018 15:39

I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the Abkco DSD remaster of LIB I recently picked up .
It doesn't match the original pressing.. but stands up pretty well in the company of most other versions.

[ Don't know why I bought it to be honest...but on this occasion I'm quite pleased that I did . Might try the BB next ...but not the fancy expensive anniversary job winking smiley ]

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 29, 2018 22:54

Does anyone have an original Black and Blue lyric sheet from the original release?

Just curious if it has the same typos that the new box has.

(At a quick glance, like using a " in YOU"RE instead of YOU'RE once in Hot Stuff, or the alternate second verse in Cherry Oh Baby with THEN I WILL RECEIVE YOU GADLY instead of GLADLY, or missing a space in ... JUST A MEMORYOF A LOVE ... in Memory Motel).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home