Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger interview - The Independent, April 23
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 24, 2018 18:38

This interview is actually better than most of them. Commander isn't an easy interview object. Never has been. Commander wants the PR and he likes to meet new people (he isn't shy like Keith or Charlie).
But...he doesn't like to talk about the past or his own private life. As fast as anyone touches those, tabu, questions he tends to turn off. Even politics or social issues turns him off quickly as he is afraid to lose punters.
The most relaxed interviews I've seen with him is actually with young female journalists. There you get a relaxed Jagger at ease. The trouble is that those young women hardly know anything about the band.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 24, 2018 18:54

Stoneage
This interview is actually better than most of them. Commander isn't an easy interview object. Never has been. Commander wants the PR and he likes to meet new people (he isn't shy like Keith or Charlie).
But...he doesn't like to talk about the past or his own private life. As fast as anyone touches those, tabu, questions he tends to turn off. Even politics or social issues turns him off quickly as he is afraid to lose punters.
The most relaxed interviews I've seen with him is actually with young female journalists. There you get a relaxed Jagger at ease. The trouble is that those young women hardly know anything about the band.

THE PAST X
PRIVATE LIFE X
POLITICS X
SOCIAL ISSUES X

Doesn't really leave much to talk about then. Especially if there is no NEW product to sell.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 24, 2018 19:22

exhpart
I feel a bit sorry for Mick. Charlie always gets a laugh when he says he doesn't know which songs are on which album and he never listens to the Rolling Stones ...I think Mick's been listening to Charlie and thought he'd say the same thing.

It's more likely that he wants to be perceived as current, and that he doesn't devote his time to dwelling on things that happened 45, 50 years ago -- thus the apparent lack of instant and precise recall.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 24, 2018 19:42

blivet
swimtothemoon
The actual interview must have been very short. I would think not much more than
15 minutes. To make the piece interesting, the writer/interviewer had to embellish and build a story around it. One of the the best Mick interviews was in Rolling Stone - maybe 15 or 20 years ago - where the interviewer asked him about specific songs from the Stones catalog. As I remember there was lots of interesting info in that interview.

Yes, in general he was much more open in that interview, and much more willing to discuss the past. If it the one I'm thinking of (this one), Jann Wenner was the interviewer, and he and Jagger go way back, so that probably helped. I imagine that Wenner also promised Mick that he would never ask him about the old days again.

Yes I agree, this was probably something Jann felt was important to do and Mick felt comfortable with the interviewer and the idea of getting it all down on record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 19:44 by swimtothemoon.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 24, 2018 22:06

DandelionPowderman
Bliss
A missed opportunity there, with at least a couple of inaccuracies - "...with his current other half, ballerina Melanie Hamrick, half his age, whom Jagger met after his long-term partner, designer L'Wren Scott died tragically in March 2014."

Pity one of us can't interview him. My choice would be RevTwentyRedLights.

And how would Mick react to his theories? smiling smiley

It would be the greatest interview of all time. Mick's hair would be standing on end.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: April 24, 2018 22:17

Father and Son
Father and son

Date: April 24, 2018 22:34

Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss
A missed opportunity there, with at least a couple of inaccuracies - "...with his current other half, ballerina Melanie Hamrick, half his age, whom Jagger met after his long-term partner, designer L'Wren Scott died tragically in March 2014."

It would be the greatest interview of all time. Mick's hair would be standing on end.

grinning smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 24, 2018 22:54

desertblues68
Father and Son
Father and son

What if... *gasp
He’s REALLY IN LOVE?
The night of the film Noir in Paris
was for show/kicks and giggles with the crew.
What if he got MARRIED?
Ooh la la...

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: April 24, 2018 23:10

Well, I think this is the most boring interview I have read in many years eye rolling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:31

stonehearted
I don't understand the negative reviews for this interview.

It's unreadable and it's the 537th time an interviewer tries to sum up the Stones' career with a few "key" words : "Altamont", "heroin addiction", the "Redlands bust" etc etc. At least "Brian Jones" wasn't put on the table! Phew!

A good interview would have been like : "have you moved on since the B&L sessions? Has the writer's block disappeared? Is the new album ready? Is Keith still fucntional as a composer or do you do all the work?"

Date: April 25, 2018 00:51

That's right, dcba. Usually meaningless repetition. That's one reason to never buy those nostalgia magazines. The same questions over and over again. No wonder, Sir Michael gets bored with it.
It's as if journalists are all made from the same mould. On the other hand they are probably not allowed to ask real questions. Or they don't dare to. Sir Michael can be quite intimidating.
And many gets the shake meeting larger than life celebrities.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 25, 2018 01:05

dcba
stonehearted

It's unreadable and it's the 537th time an interviewer tries to sum up the Stones' career with a few "key" words : "Altamont", "heroin addiction", the "Redlands bust" etc etc. At least "Brian Jones" wasn't put on the table! Phew!

A good interview would have been like : "have you moved on since the B&L sessions? Has the writer's block disappeared? Is the new album ready? Is Keith still fucntional as a composer or do you do all the work?"

With all due respect, the sort of things music and cultural historians won't care less about in 50 years.

By that time, their cultural impact will only be measured in terms of 5 years -- 1964 to 1969. From Ed Sullivan to Altamont is about all that will be discussed and debated regarding the Rolling Stones and the culture of rock and roll.

After that it's just a long treadmill of show business as usual.

Their longevity will only be an interesting footnote.

The IORR forum represents only a microcosm of Stones fandom, not the mainstream.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2018 01:14

stonehearted
dcba
stonehearted

With all due respect, the sort of things music and cultural historians won't care less about in 50 years.

By that time, their cultural impact will only be measured in terms of 5 years -- 1964 to 1969. From Ed Sullivan to Altamont is about all that will be discussed and debated regarding the Rolling Stones and the culture of rock and roll.

After that it's just a long treadmill of show business as usual.

Their longevity will only be an interesting footnote.

The IORR forum represents only a microcosm of Stones fandom, not the mainstream.

True enough, and they'll probably always be mentioned after the Beatles.

Something like this:

"The Beatles knocked down the doors and blazed the trails for all British bands that followed, with the Rolling Stones possibly being the biggest after them"

Posted by: ReginaPhalange ()
Date: April 25, 2018 01:53

35love
desertblues68
Father and Son
Father and son

What if... *gasp
He’s REALLY IN LOVE?
What if he got MARRIED?
Ooh la la...

I think she posted this photo because the night before, Noor posted a photo of herself and Mick, his arms around her, sitting next to Ronnie and Sally; it was from one year ago according to the caption. Seems baby mama was not impressed.

Date: April 25, 2018 02:27

ReginaPhalange
35love
desertblues68
Father and Son
Father and son

What if... *gasp
He’s REALLY IN LOVE?
What if he got MARRIED?
Ooh la la...

I think she posted this photo because the night before, Noor posted a photo of herself and Mick, his arms around her, sitting next to Ronnie and Sally; it was from one year ago according to the caption. Seems baby mama was not impressed.

*oh dear...
I don’t follow, but interesting. Melanie is quite beautiful, has his child, they seem to have a good time... we want Mick happy, better than being alone.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 25, 2018 03:53

Send It To me
It's comforting that Mick has been pretending he doesn't know which songs are on which records for decades now.
I always thought that was completely asinine.

Date: April 25, 2018 05:21

35love
ReginaPhalange
35love
desertblues68
Father and Son
Father and son

What if... *gasp
He’s REALLY IN LOVE?
What if he got MARRIED?
Ooh la la...

*oh dear...
I don’t follow, but interesting. Melanie is quite beautiful, has his child, they seem to have a good time... we want Mick happy, better than being alone.

**Meanwhile, Jerry Hall. Mrs: top Hollywood looks like a $million bucks in blue
sauntering across the White House floor tonight
LOL LOL
I love Jerry Hall grinning smiley

ETA: pics of THE best party of the Administration to date (involving the French, but of course)
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 05:50 by 35love.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 25, 2018 05:56

DandelionPowderman
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss

grinning smiley

The interviewer missed that Mick was interested in discussing current songwriting and his childhood in greater detail. Everything else was largely dismissed or treated as a waste of his time. A pity.

As for Revvy, yes, he would deliver an amazing and unique Mick interview if granted. Wouldn't that be a trip? Revvy is a born storyteller. He loves being an Individual and Thank Clapton for him. He lights up every (online) room he enters. He's easily among my list of Top 5 die-hard Stones fans I would love to actually meet. I think he's a riot and for all of the flurry of attention his posts create, he serves the amazingly useful purpose of sometimes bringing the truth out into the open. His outlandish theories are also sometimes on the money...and more times than qualify as a stopped watch being right twice a day. I would vote for amnesty and let him practice his art back here any day. He's the only person who can make me venture outside of IORR for any length of time and I detest Tapatalk as much as Yuku and EZboard.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 25, 2018 06:02

Rocky Dijon
The great problem with being a living legend from the 1960s is not only are the questions always looking back in time, but they mainly want to ask about yesterday's scandals. They aren't treated with dignity as people, instead it is felt you can say anything to them when you would never do that if you met someone from his generation who wasn't famous and were having your first conversation with them.

Considering how rare it is to get Mick Jagger to sit for an interview like this, it is unfortunate the questions were not more respectful and centered in the present. The past is best approached to ask him to compare and contrast then and now in different ways. A wasted opportunity. He seemed quite happy to talk about his childhood and family (as opposed to how bad a junkie Keith was in 1971) so the interviewer didn't even build upon the obvious openings.

The end result appears to be a nervous and inexperienced interviewer fumbled his big chance to talk to a legend.

i agree...the interviewer blew it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2018 09:34

The great problem with being a living legend from the 1960s is not only are the questions always looking back in time, but they mainly want to ask about yesterday's scandals.

Spare a thought for a guy like Johnny Shines .... don't think I ever read an interview with him where they didn't ask about his time spent with Robert Johnson

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 25, 2018 10:10

Doxa
I agree that it was not a very good interview. Probably something to do with editing, but the bulk of the questions were not probably that inspiring for Jagger. But then again, Mick seemingly did the whole thing just to promote their Irish gig, so if him promoting there a warhorses show, and thereby relying on the legendary history of his band, that of the interview based on 'warhorses' questions - that is: picking up things Jagger and his band is most famous for - he can at least partly blame only himself... So we have Altamont, 1967 bust, the drugs, his own persona, the whole zeitgeist of (mostly) the 60's, while the musical interest reduces into obvious cases like "Satisfaction", "Sympathy For The Devil" "Gimme Shelter", "Brown Sugar" and EXILE....

To an extent Jagger is playing there with a double cards: he knows how much all those things matter to people's idea of him, and how much that contributes to his reputation and fame (and I am sure he is quite proud of many things in the past and he likes people being awere of them), but at the same all that gives him a template with which he can show his own even arrogant attitude towards questions like these, and how little he seems to give value for them or for his own memorable past... That's part of the Jagger he wants to promote as the always-forward-looking-guy... I am sure there is much truth in there - he is not a man of 'memory lane' - but he exaggarates that... (c'mon, Mick, you actually don't know which songs are there in LET IT BLEED...) Keith would answer to those 'war horses' questions much more warmly (as his public, more easily accessible character typically is), giving him a template to re-cicle his old stories with a couple of fresh witty one-liners; Charlie would just say something to the effect of 'I don't know. You need to ask Mick or Keith. I just play the drums.' There is no use of Ronnie here - he wasn't there when all the interesting things happened... Like Bill once said of Ronnie: 'young guy, don't know much'... In that same interview (done in 1982) Bill 'revealed' that MIck actually has a bad memory, unlike him and Keith. I wouldn't be so sure about - Jagger's memory seems to be a rather selective one - if needed (there is a product to sell), he seems to give surprisingly detailed descriptions of the past... (I mean, now he doesn't 'remember' what songs there are in LET IT BLEED, but just a couple of years ago, he gave pretty detailed account of the origin of STICKY FINGERS songs...)

On with the show...

- Doxa

I think a lot of this is true and all of it is interesting.
I wonder sometimes what it must be like for him as a writer relating to his own work; and it's impact. He must, as a writer, have some way, manner or technique, to distance himself from that to move forward mentally as a writer.
Sure he's shrewd and as full of it as a car sales-man at times.
He's got the uber model and actors hyper self-awareness I bet....
....and does seem to always be playing the odds...
but he is a human of smarts and vulnerabilties...
i think sometimes if he trusts he's w a peer of sorts,
even if its a journalist, that he can be led into subjects
where he'd reveal more of his process....
then again maybe it IS a 'surprise' to him, in a way, as he claimed
with the inspiration behind writing the song, and riff btw for BS....
not wanting to be tagged with some of the harsh iconography he's painting
lyrically with that one; at the same time, totally enjoying the
outrageous abandon by playing on the edge w it; 'like a young BOY should'
being provative and teasing; I think Mick's basically a stripper lol,
Charlie might agree, Bill def would; and is one of the best accompaniests
for that kind of thing; in his quiet pushing deadly way....

i'd go back to the Bill thread but they are crucifying him there pretty happily and don't want to stop the fun....
.....yeh Mick; that rascal. he's talking about nothing and the same things at the same time. it seems like the interviewer must be waaay out of his or her
depth here...
.....i'd probably handle it the same way if i was that smart and experienced.
i'd give the guy nothing and 'there' he's promoted that show and made the local papers thats his job. I think your take is a little cynical Doxa but I think
it likely Mick much more cynical than that in some ways i don't want to think about too much.
Great rock singer; still has his chops.

I mean there's probably no way that Mick's people aren't all over
who is ever going to get close enough to a quick phone call or unlikely
personal meet-up with him; and that he likely went into this knowing
that he was really not talking to anyone, in a sense, if you knmow what I mean;
not 'anyone' he'd have to respect and sort of take-on intellectually; and
i don't mean someone coming to grill him like a lawyer or anything...
just someone who would know how to, maybe, better negotiate talking
with a guy who is that age and that succesful at that historic thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 10:15 by hopkins.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 25, 2018 10:18

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss

grinning smiley

The interviewer missed that Mick was interested in discussing current songwriting and his childhood in greater detail. Everything else was largely dismissed or treated as a waste of his time. A pity.

As for Revvy, yes, he would deliver an amazing and unique Mick interview if granted. Wouldn't that be a trip? Revvy is a born storyteller. He loves being an Individual and Thank Clapton for him. He lights up every (online) room he enters. He's easily among my list of Top 5 die-hard Stones fans I would love to actually meet. I think he's a riot and for all of the flurry of attention his posts create, he serves the amazingly useful purpose of sometimes bringing the truth out into the open. His outlandish theories are also sometimes on the money...and more times than qualify as a stopped watch being right twice a day. I would vote for amnesty and let him practice his art back here any day. He's the only person who can make me venture outside of IORR for any length of time and I detest Tapatalk as much as Yuku and EZboard.

What, was he kicked out? I didn't know: sad smiley

Posted by: rev20 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 12:43

Detente! Much appreciated, bv.

1) I've written elsewhere: "I would completely suck at interviewing Mick or any
of the Stones. I would recommend Bliss or Rocky or Dandy a hundred times over me.
I literally have ZERO questions for them. I take it on faith that they only
talk about what they want to talk about, and that is 100% fine with me."

2) I have never sought out any quarrel with anybody. I do tend to quarrel
with the conventional wisdom about Mick and the Stones, and that's been true
since 1994, when I first appeared online on Undercover and took great
issue with the anti-Mick mob mentality that reigned at the time, thanks in no
small measure to Bill German. In some ways, my self-appointed task has
remained the same for 24 years, to share my appreciation for how Mick operates.
We all appreciate Keith's passionate straight-forward manner, which is the true
foundation of the Stones, but its a damn wonderful house that Mick has
built (and re-built and re-built) on top of that foundation, no matter what
the fuddy-duddies think about his sometimes radical architecture...

3) It's been mentioned but not yet shown on IORR, the amazing photo that
surfaced yesterday with Noor...

Perhaps even more amazing, what Sally Wood wrote under the photo
(via Regina Phalange): "Good times! See you soon"

I don't wish Melanie ill. But she brings this kinda stuff upon herself,
when she tries to take possession of Mick. Give it up, girl. Mick likes
you and wants to maintain a certain closeness with you, but he is not yours.
He is not anybody's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 13:52 by Rev20.

Date: April 25, 2018 13:12

Welcome back, Revvy! thumbs up

Date: April 25, 2018 13:30

This picture speaks volumes about modern day feminism, doesn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 13:41 by Stoneage.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 25, 2018 15:44

Stoneage

And also that the media and the general public have more interest in the various Stones celeb lifestyles and love life than their actual music.
It all helps to sell tickets I guess.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2018 16:07

Stoneage
Guessing the implication is that these younger women somehow turned in their feminist cards because they choose to be, and have babies with, older wealthy rock stars?

Not my take.
I see two strong accomplished women who choose to be with two strong accomplished men, despite some harsh societal judgements.
They are doing as they please and what makes them happy. Ups their "feminism" cred imo.

Date: April 25, 2018 16:33

MisterDDDD
Stoneage
Guessing the implication is that these younger women somehow turned in their feminist cards because they choose to be, and have babies with, older wealthy rock stars?

Not my take.
I see two strong accomplished women who choose to be with two strong accomplished men, despite some harsh societal judgements.
They are doing as they please and what makes them happy. Ups their "feminism" cred imo.

Yeah, that's my take on it, too. Hadn't they both been successful young women, with careers on their own, I would have understood Stoneage's thoughts, though.

Date: April 25, 2018 16:36

Stoneage

And prejudging. Maybe they are not, ah... they are only friends? Platonic.

Date: April 25, 2018 16:48

No, I don't see that, DDD. I see two geriatric sugardaddys with their two latest trophy girls. But don't worry, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Others here may see two young and strong feminists having a platonic relationship with two granddaddies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home