Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jay Jay French (Twisted Sister) goes ballistic on the Stones
Date: April 23, 2018 15:59

2000 LYFH
I saw Zeppelin in Feb 1975 at MSG and did not throw upsmoking smiley

And you paid for the ticket, I presume grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 23, 2018 16:00

I saw them at Knebworth in '79 and didn't throw up either...............although I did after seeing the Stones there in '76..................smoking smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 23, 2018 16:20

DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH

HaHa yeah probably around $7 or $8. Broke the bank to see them.

I actually always liked when Page would play a little bit on the rough side, not trying to sound exactly like the records...

Date: April 23, 2018 16:26

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH

HaHa yeah probably around $7 or $8. Broke the bank to see them.

I actually always liked when Page would play a little bit on the rough side, not trying to sound exactly like the records...

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 23, 2018 17:39

Blabbermouth! Not the most serious of places I guess. But of course Mr French is right in his assumption. The ticket prices have risen in the same way the band has weakened.
There is a huge difference between 1972 and 2018. Most noteably in the guitar section.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: April 23, 2018 17:48

A comment by a member of Twisted Sister does not require any response.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 23, 2018 17:52

Stoneage
Blabbermouth! Not the most serious of places I guess. But of course Mr French is right in his assumption. The ticket prices have risen in the same way the band has weakened.
There is a huge difference between 1972 and 2018. Most noteably in the guitar section.
Well it's a good site for hard rock and metal news...the comments section is toxic but the actual news posted is useful for those genres.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 23, 2018 19:13

J. J. French?! As if ANYONE gives a flip about his opinion.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 23, 2018 19:42

2000 LYFH

well for sure and certain, imo from direct exposure; they were very much
a less tight and together act in '75 then their debut tours in the sixties promoting that first LP, and then for some three or four years holding
that amazing power pretty consistently.

this guy speaks a lot of truth in his rant, but then you look at one of their performances, even recent ones, And the guy is a total dud as a player and stage presence. so......i'm thinking it best to refrain from TS discussions I guess. ty 4 reading tho,

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2018 19:49

At least he knows their names. Pretty sure they don't know (or want to know) his.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: April 23, 2018 20:02

No matter how silly his comments seem, he's still a top 5 guitar player (Richards, Hendrix, Van Halen, Townsend and FRENCH!)

Date: April 23, 2018 20:22

FrogSugar
No matter how silly his comments seem, he's still a top 5 guitar player (Richards, Hendrix, Van Halen, Townsend and FRENCH!)
You must be some type of comedian.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 23, 2018 20:26

I wouldn't want to live in the shadow of Dee Snider...
At least we are talking about Mr. French again.

Date: April 23, 2018 20:26

FrogSugar

grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2018 20:41

Kurt
I wouldn't want to live in the shadow of Dee Snider...
At least we are talking about Mr. French again.

The butler on Family Affair?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 23, 2018 20:46

Talking about Mr French, how is Mr Nugent these days? Been a while since he made a move. Maybe Blabbermouth should contact him? He isn't afraid to spill his guts...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:26

I used to see these guys in 1979 at a local bar they played at. They played every week, I worked in the shopping center where the club was. Was $1 cover charge, $5 to the bartender for a bottomless Long Island Ice Tea. (Oh yeah we were all underage). They were run, but they were just a club band.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:34

Twisted Sister? Yeah, they sucked, but that doesn't mean the guy isn't right. The problem with the Stones is their absolute celebrity. No one wants to see ersatz Stones on stage, no matter how much better they might sound. Brian Wilson is backed by '45 guys on stage' and sounds fantastic. (Although still a notch below the original Beach Boys. Carl simply couldn't be replaced). I'm sure there are some young guitar guns out there that could make it so you could play almost anything from the fifty plus years Stones repertoire. And make it sound good. But audiences demand they look at Ronnie and Keith. I think a lot of it is just holding on to that last link to the 60s and our youth. To each his own.

Date: April 25, 2018 18:16

daspyknows
I used to see these guys in 1979 at a local bar they played at. They played every week, I worked in the shopping center where the club was. Was $1 cover charge, $5 to the bartender for a bottomless Long Island Ice Tea. (Oh yeah we were all underage). They were run, but they were just a club band.

Same here. But I think it was around 75/76 I first saw them in a local bar. It may have been in Baldwin, NY. Also saw Rat Race Choir and The Good Rats many times at a few different bars in the same time period.

Date: April 25, 2018 18:25

hopkins
2000 LYFH

well for sure and certain, imo from direct exposure; they were very much
a less tight and together act in '75
then their debut tours in the sixties promoting that first LP, and then for some three or four years holding
that amazing power pretty consistently.

this guy speaks a lot of truth in his rant, but then you look at one of their performances, even recent ones, And the guy is a total dud as a player and stage presence. so......i'm thinking it best to refrain from TS discussions I guess. ty 4 reading tho,

Maybe starting to wear out a bit - by 1975, they were going pretty much non stop since 1968/9. Also, Page broke his ring finger after slamming its tip in a train door prior to leaving England - I guess that didn't help!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:37

dcba
keefriff99
like being driven in a tour bus by José Feliciano and Ray Charles without GPS —

I admit that one made me laugh...

it’s blatant sightism

Date: April 25, 2018 18:44

2000 LYFH
daspyknows

Same here. But I think it was around 75/76 I first saw them in a local bar. It may have been in Baldwin, NY. Also saw Rat Race Choir and The Good Rats many times at a few different bars in the same time period.

if dee snider was there you saw them in 1976. the band existed a few years before dee joined. great band though. maybe the best bar band of all time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 18:45 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 19:55

so ive now come to a conclusion that the stones are not as good in their 70,s as they were in their 20,s or 30,s.

im so glad i read these comments from twisted sister as i woudnt have observed the stones ageing.

how dare them not stay forever young.

Date: April 25, 2018 20:04

24FPS
Twisted Sister? Yeah, they sucked, but that doesn't mean the guy isn't right. The problem with the Stones is their absolute celebrity. No one wants to see ersatz Stones on stage, no matter how much better they might sound. Brian Wilson is backed by '45 guys on stage' and sounds fantastic. (Although still a notch below the original Beach Boys. Carl simply couldn't be replaced). I'm sure there are some young guitar guns out there that could make it so you could play almost anything from the fifty plus years Stones repertoire. And make it sound good. But audiences demand they look at Ronnie and Keith. I think a lot of it is just holding on to that last link to the 60s and our youth. To each his own.
Yeah, but Mick had guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani with him when he toured the Far East in 1988...that guy can play ANYTHING, but does he have the feel and soul to play Stones songs?

I'm not knocking Satch...INCREDIBLE talent, but virtuosity only gets you so far.

I do agree that people largely pay to be in the Stones' presence more than anything. I've posted this sentiment before, and a lot of people bristled, but I think it's true to a degree. No one is going to see the Stones to hear peak musicianship anymore, but to see living legends in the flesh play, for the most part, reasonably well considering the mileage on their bodies.

Date: April 25, 2018 20:22

keefriff99
24FPS
Yeah, but Mick had guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani with him when he toured the Far East in 1988...that guy can play ANYTHING, but does he have the feel and soul to play Stones songs?

I'm not knocking Satch...INCREDIBLE talent, but virtuosity only gets you so far.

I do agree that people largely pay to be in the Stones' presence more than anything. I've posted this sentiment before, and a lot of people bristled, but I think it's true to a degree. No one is going to see the Stones to hear peak musicianship anymore, but to see living legends in the flesh play, for the most part, reasonably well considering the mileage on their bodies.

Don't forget the urge we have to hear the songs live..

Date: April 25, 2018 20:34

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
24FPS

Don't forget the urge we have to hear the songs live..
Of course! It's fantastic seeing them live...I'd much rather see them warts and all than a pristine presentation with an army of backing musicians.

Despite what some people say about the "Vegas" era, the Stones really don't have a lot of musical safety nets onstage compared to some of their contemporaries.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 25, 2018 21:00

The Stones remain an excellent, absolutely charming live band, even at their 70's. I don't need a band playing "better than ever". I just need a band performing with energy, rock feeling and good team work. And my ears are still 'catching' these elements, at strong quantities, when I attend Stones concerts (last time was in 2017).

I don't need anyone to tell me what I'm hearing. My ears don't need "proxies". And if I want to collect various opinions, the last one I would care about is an "opinion" coming from the mouth of a guy who "believes" that Led Zeppelin was a loathsome band in 1975. And that the Stones sucks (or almost...) since 1972. And maybe that the best live band in the whole planet was the... legendary Twisted Sister.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 26, 2018 14:56

laertisflash
The Stones remain an excellent, absolutely charming live band, even at their 70's. I don't need a band playing "better than ever". I just need a band performing with energy, rock feeling and good team work. And my ears are still 'catching' these elements, at strong quantities, when I attend Stones concerts (last time was in 2017).

I don't need anyone to tell me what I'm hearing. My ears don't need "proxies". And if I want to collect various opinions, the last one I would care about is an "opinion" coming from the mouth of a guy who "believes" that Led Zeppelin was a loathsome band in 1975. And that the Stones sucks (or almost...) since 1972. And maybe that the best live band in the whole planet was the... legendary Twisted Sister.

smileys with beer
...a well-deserved cigar & some ice-cold beers are heading your way, dear Sir/Madame.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 26, 2018 15:05

I love French's mustard...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home