Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger: Stones' success is 'mind-boggling'
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 22, 2018 19:30

Jagger: "It is a bit mind-boggling if you think about it, and it's not something to be taken for granted".

Mick Jagger has said he is "very thankful" for being allowed to have a career that spans over five decades and admits The Rolling Stones have no plans to slow down anytime soon.

The Stones have been touring for over 50 years, and while it doesn’t get any easier as he gets older, the 74-year-old singer admits he does still really enjoy it.

Speaking on Sunday with Miriam on RTÉ Radio 1, the rocker told O'Callaghan that he doesn't take the band's success for granted and admits he is still amazed by their popularity.

"I don’t think you do things as quickly as you do when you’re, like, 21, you do things much more quickly than you do when you’re like, whatever age I am – I don’t want to think about it really – but I still do things… I can write things really quickly now."

"It is a bit mind-boggling if you think about it, and it’s not something to be taken for granted, I think…

"After all this time when there’s so many musicians out there, there’s so many great ones and there’s so many people with great songs, and why would you still be in any way in demand."

"It’s really a mystery, but I’m very thankful for it."

The band is set to play Dublin's Croke Park on May 17 with the support act to be announced on Monday, and Jagger said he is really looking forward to rocking out in Dublin next month.

The highly-anticipated concert will be the longest of their upcoming European tour, according to the band’s long-time tour manager.

"It should be really fun, we haven't played in Ireland for ages and we're really looking forward to coming."
Jagger also reminisced about the group's concert at Slane in 2007, adding: "It was such a beautiful setting. It was such a great night. I remember the Chieftains were playing there - it was a very good night in Slane."

The Paint it Black hitmaker said he's still getting satisfaction out of performing and admits he wouldn't still be doing it if he didn't.

"It's still really fun, I don't think we would do it if it wasn't. There's always pluses and minuses. In the end when you get on stage and you're doing the music together it all gels and everyone is really happy being there and it all works perfectly and it's better than anything else."

"My main job is to be the cheerleader for this band and sing - get out there and entertain and my other job is to write songs. There the most things I like doing. I love writing."
When asked if he has any rituals he likes to do before a gig, Jagger said: "You check the stage that you’re going to be safe on it. Then you do you a physical warm-up routine and a vocal warm-up routine and choose your outfits.

"I don’t have superstitions. I warm up the voice for 45 minutes before the show."

You can listen back to the full interview on Sunday with Miriam here

[www.rte.ie]

Re: Mick Jagger: Stones' success is 'mind-boggling'
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 22, 2018 19:51

Really nice interview, thanks for posting the link Cristiano.
Love this:
"It's still really fun, I don't think we would do it if it wasn't. There's always pluses and minuses. In the end when you get on stage and you're doing the music together it all gels and everyone is really happy being there and it all works perfectly and it's better than anything else."

Would describe attending shows in a similar way.
"... In the end when you get close to the stage, and you're digging the music together it all gels and everyone is really happy being there... better than anything else".

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2018 19:55

Thanks Cristiano for the article. Some humidity there from Sir Michael. There are the usual exaggerations in the article though. Like "The Stones have been touring for over 50 years".
That is a truth with modifications. The years in between touring have been almost as many as the touring ones. At least since the early 80s. Since 2012 they have toured every year though.
Albeit, smaller tours. Probably because age don't allow them to take 3-4 year breaks anymore...

...and I might add the fact that they gave up on making records (producing new material) in the late 90s which, of course, gave them more time for touring
(the off-tour years were used for vacation and family time more than sweating it out in recording studios so to speak...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 20:02 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:04

Nice interview.
I wish them all good health and to carry on doing it for as long as they wish.
My personal hope is that they hit South America again next year.

Thanks Cristiano for posting

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:05

Years with tours or (singular) concerts:

(1968)

(1977)
(1979)

(1986)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:05

Nate
Nice interview.
I wish them all good health and to carry on doing it for as long as they wish.
My personal hope is that they hit South America again next year.

Thanks Cristiano for posting

Nate thumbs up

You're not the only one. grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:31

Mick Jagger quote: "I don’t think you do things as quickly as you do when you’re, like, 21, you do things much more quickly than you do when you’re like, whatever age I am – I don’t want to think about it really"

"It is a bit mind-boggling if you think about it, and it’s not something to be taken for granted, I think…"

"After all this time when there’s so many musicians out there, there’s so many great ones and there’s so many people with great songs, and why would you still be in any way in demand."

"It’s really a mystery, but I’m very thankful for it." </Mick Jagger quote.

Only if you're on the inside looking out.

But fans know why.

It's about being iconic.

A signature imprint on the early lives of so many people.

The soundtrack of so many lives.

What's 'mind-boggling' is that they are still willing and able to perform so successfully.

I don't think they do things as quickly as they did when they were, like, 21 - I don't want to think about it really.

It is a bit mind-boggling if you think about it, and the Stones are not something to be taken for granted, I think.

After all this time when there’s so many old musicians out there, there’s so many great old ones and there’s so many people with great old songs, and why they [the Stones] would still be in any way in demand.

It’s really a mystery, but I’m very thankful for the Stones.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:36

The usual bland interview from Mr J. Nothing interesting is said, nor is anything interesting asked. Just a bit of mindless promotion for the upcoming show.

I assume interviewers are legaly prohibited by asking 'when can we expect some new music from you guys?' or 'why do you choose to stay in a separate hotel from your bandmates?'.

Yawn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 20:43 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:51

Great singing with Mick Jagger / Chieftans from the interview

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2018 20:52

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 01:16 by Stoneage.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2018 21:09

"MY OTHER JOB IS TO WRITE SONGS".
That's priceless. Must be having a long sabbatical.

Date: April 22, 2018 21:21

mtaylor
Great singing with Mick Jagger / Chieftans from the interview

[www.youtube.com]
thumbs up

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 22, 2018 22:10

Nice interview , thanks Cristiano.

I just wonder how long Mick and the boys can carry on touring for, 15 tour dates a year is very doable, the way Mick is moving around the stage 10 more years is possible, but not for the other three band members, just can't imagine it, not unless they scale it down to 5 tour dates a year, with 2 months between shows.
Just a quick 15 minute rehearsal before showtime to go through Miss You so Mick can re-learn the words, and Satisfaction so Keith can get used to those chords again.. That will leave two months of the year free for some prolific writing.

Interesting that Mick says he writes quickly as he gets older, i wonder what he does with all that material, maybe he just enjoys writing for himself. Perhaps Matt Clifford is getting a bit bossy with Mick and forcing him to write lines as a detention for writing with Keith the other day . Who knows maybe Mick is writing fast because he wants to make use of his shredder, he's paid good money for it so he might as well use it, nothing wasteful about Mick, plus he's sort of recycling, trying to give something back to the planet in return for all those air miles he clocked up on the Stones jet plane.

Something made me laugh in that interview, Mick says things like "you do things slower at his age ( he seemed to forget his age but its 74) than when he was 21". Really Mick, i would never have guessed. Lot's of wisdom in there, he says he doesn't really like to think of it, so that's cool, keep em coming Mick.

Sorry guys just a bit of fun after all the doom and gloom lately winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2018 22:17

"I can write things really quickly now"

lol

Not sure if that's a good thing - maybe he should sit back and focus on one thing rather than spitting out dozens of them.
A bit of editing, revising, and patience can go a long way when attempting to create something worthy.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 22, 2018 22:17

Setlist for 2023: (same every show)

Start Me Up
All Down The Line
Tumbling Dice
Angie
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy For The Devil
Little Red Rooster
Slipping Away
Happy
Rough Justice
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
Satisfaction

Ticket prices $200-1.500. They still can do that at age 76-81 ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 22:19 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: April 22, 2018 22:23

Monday warmup anouncememts!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 22, 2018 22:36

Hairball

lol

Not sure if that's a good thing - maybe he should sit back and focus on one thing rather than spitting out dozens of them.
A bit of editing, revising, and patience can go a long way when attempting to create something worthy.

Well actually GGAG and England Lost might have been meshed together from 40 demos, he probably took a bit of music from each demo and just sort of made them all fit together, inspired by Clifford or it could never happen.

It's rumoured this new type of writing is causing some problems with the new Stones album, because to complete a 12 song track listing on the next album is going to take about 500 demo's. Mind you this is nothing for Mick. He's pretty quick now, but Keith's still stuck on three killer Riffs. Insiders say Keith could be delaying the album as it might take until 2023 for the rest of the riffs to be ready.

Date: April 22, 2018 22:47

The resident Mick Bitchers love this stuff.

Instead of having to warp a thread about new songs, tour cities, etc. into the (yawn) usual Jagger bashing,.. an actual article about him and it's almost too easy. Like a golfer missing a gimme putt, the jabs then become so cliche' (can't write, can't sing, can't dance) that they fall even more flat and false.

Amusing.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 22, 2018 23:13

Thanks.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 22, 2018 23:27

I love Mick. He's definitely one of my favourite members of the band. I wasn't really complaining about his answers so much as the dull routine of the 'questions' (prompts for a spiel really). But I guess that's the superficial media's modus operandi. And Mick has a show to promote.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2018 23:35

keithsman
Hairball

lol

Well actually GGAG and England Lost might have been meshed together from 40 demos, he probably took a bit of music from each demo and just sort of made them all fit together, inspired by Clifford or it could never happen.

It's rumoured this new type of writing is causing some problems with the new Stones album, because to complete a 12 song track listing on the next album is going to take about 500 demo's. Mind you this is nothing for Mick. He's pretty quick now, but Keith's still stuck on three killer Riffs. Insiders say Keith could be delaying the album as it might take until 2023 for the rest of the riffs to be ready.

You could be right about that keithsman - like putting 40 different ingredients into a blender hoping something tasty comes out of it, but usually ends up a nasty mess.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2018 00:59

The Chieftains didnt play at the Slane concert in 2007. But they did open the show at the same venue in 1982. Only 25 years between the gigs, Mick. Easy mistake to make!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 23, 2018 01:02

Fanks Cristiano Radtke .... always good ta read words from the lad ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 23, 2018 01:40

Are we sure Mick didn't say mind-bottling?

"Blades of Glory":

Will Ferrell: Mind-bottling, isn't it?
Jon Heder: Did you just say mind-bottling?
Will Ferrell: Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:02

“There's always pluses and minuses.”

I say that all the time! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2018 03:41

good to see they're enjoying it so many years in. this isn't going to last forever.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2018 11:36

Mick showing a rare glimpse of admitting he is not a young guy any longer, but still does things "very quickly".grinning smiley

But the most positive thing about those printed words of that interview - which is a bit incoherent, by the way, difficult to see what actually is the subject matter occasionally - is that Jagger seems to emphasize the importance of song-writing for him. Can't recall him pointing out that so strongly for ages. He sounds like being in the middle of something. I wouldn't be surprised that we will be treated with many different Jagger projects in near future (first of them being, hopely, a new Stones album). If 'song-writing' really is a "job" for him (though not the 'main' one), I think that of releasing the results as well, not just writing them, should be a part of the job description there....

- Doxa

Date: April 23, 2018 12:14

Hairball

lol

Agreed Hairball. That same statement jumped out at me for same reason. I'm thinking "that isn't really a good thing".
I have seen Jagger talk about writing nowadays; when he discusses lyrics, and says "after breakfast, you write quickly, everything you can think of, not worrying about rhymes". One shouldn't get hung up on rhymes, but on the other hand I can't see this allotted time of inspiration either.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2018 12:53

Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball

lol

Agreed Hairball. That same statement jumped out at me for same reason. I'm thinking "that isn't really a good thing".
I have seen Jagger talk about writing nowadays; when he discusses lyrics, and says "after breakfast, you write quickly, everything you can think of, not worrying about rhymes". One shouldn't get hung up on rhymes, but on the other hand I can't see this allotted time of inspiration either.

True. It looks like that Jagger has always been a man of quick moves, and who gets easily bored (which is to say that he really isn't such a 'hard working man', but a hedonistic guy who does things out of pleasure and fun) but it has started to look like that his attention span just gets shorter and shorter as he gets older... Which also might explain partly why he isn't so interested - as it looks like - working with Keith any longer (or for ages). Keith seems to have devoloped into totally different direction as he has got older... for him developing songs might take even decades nowadays (if the reports of the origin of some songs in CROSSEYED HEART hold court). Who knows if the problem in Jagger/Richards co-work lies in the other doing things so quickly that the results sound hasty and half-baked, while the other so slowly that nothing ever gets done or the result doomed to end up sounding half-baked.... And how impossible it is for either for them to work under those cirmustances if the other's 'bad' habits just constantly go to the nerves of the other..grinning smiley

Anyway, Jagger has always given the impression that the song writing is pretty easy for him, that is, not much creative struggle involved. I recall reading just some time ago a quote by him from the early 80's (?) saying something to effect that he likes writing songs just for the fun of it, and he could do without recording or releasing them. He was surely Jagger-like talking tongue-in-cheek mostly, but probably there is some truth there...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 13:01 by Doxa.

Date: April 23, 2018 12:59

<for him developing songs might take even decades nowadays (if the reports of the origin of some songs in CROSSEYED HEART hold court)>

More likely, he just picked Trouble and Nothing On Me from the Licks-sessions (Trouble could be from the B2B-sessions, though, since Waddy is mentioned) because he thought they were good tracks with potential, imo.

I haven't heard about other tracks stemming from earlier sessions – solo or with the Stones?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home