Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No Filter UK Tour - Food Thread
Posted by: MWasilewski ()
Date: April 21, 2018 20:40

buttons67
cant wait to sample a kebab with chilli and garlic sauce in king kebab warsaw.

got one last year, kebab and wrap with sauce washed down with a pint of beer, for about £5.70

also if anyone can recommend any decent chinese or italian eating places in warsaw i would be interested. cheers.

For a great Italian pizza, neapolitano style - Ciao a Dutti ~ 7 GBP for quite a large pizza.

If any of you want to have cheap but honest, not genius but well-made polish quisine experience, I recommend Zapiecek.eu chain - it serves our traditional food and I find it rather nice.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2018 21:17

A few of my favorite meals while in London:

Fish and Chips- The Dining Plaice. Located on Berwick Street in Soho, amongst the best fish and chips to be found in London in my humble opinion as well as my English wife (and she would tell you to add a side of mushy peas!) - massive portions at a reasonable price. Sometimes there's a line of people spilling out in to the street, but that's a good sign right? There are many great places, but this no frills joint does it right. thumbs up
(Poppies is another Fish and Chips place that should be looked in to).

Top 10 places to eat fish and chips in London

Indian food: Motijheel Tandoori Restaurant. Located on Marchmont Street in Bloomsbury. Hundreds of great places for Indian food in London, but this is a sentimental favorite for my wife and I - fantastic Indian food!

(photo: Hairball)
A variety of greatness with a glass of mango lassi to wash it all down

And the massive English breakfast. Millions of choices, and usually great at many small diners, but this one below was complimentary at the nice Hotel we were staying at in Bloomsbury.

And then there's Camden Market - get lost wandering around all the stalls and shops, and be prepared to be enticed by all the aromas of many different types of food - Indian, Chinese, Thai, Jamaican, Mexican, etc., etc., etc.

Oh yeah, Chinese food in Chinatown - take your pick as there's many great places within a very small area.

"I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get a big dish of beef chow mein"

-Warren Zevon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-21 21:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 21, 2018 22:12

If you want great seafood then head to Randall and Aubin on Brewer street in Soho London.

Nate

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 22, 2018 00:04

I can also recommend the Regency.

[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

Date: April 22, 2018 15:37

I'm looking forward to going to an afternoon tea or high tea in Edinburgh. I've seen pictures of little sandwiches and cakes served on special trays. Is probably a tourist thing I bet the locals don't really do but it's so British I must try this!

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: April 24, 2018 23:26

Going to Dublin, I will definitely try to find a decent pub to try some Irish Stew and maybe a Guiness pie grinning smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 25, 2018 11:33

my wholehearted recommendation to out of towners would be to visit
Manzes Pie & Mash shop on the Tower Bridge Road.

Double pie, double mash, side order of eels & a mug of tea.

Proper & decent English food.

[www.manze.co.uk]

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 25, 2018 11:51

DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman
Nothing beats a full English breakfast, though smiling smiley

At the risk of appearing completely ignorant, what does that entail exactly?

Yessss! Me too! thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 25, 2018 16:14

I would like to point out that a true Full English should never include hash browns as these are a U.S. addition that has somehow crept onto our plate! Sausage, baked beans, fried egg, fried mushroom, black pudding, bacon and fried bread, only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 16:15 by Big Al.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 25, 2018 16:16

Oh, and fried tomato!

Posted by: glen ()
Date: April 25, 2018 16:42

Big Al
Oh, and fried tomato!

Or at a push Grilled tomato for the health conscious.

Bubble and Squeak should also be on there as well TBH

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 25, 2018 16:45

MisterDDDD
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman
Nothing beats a full English breakfast, though smiling smiley

At the risk of appearing completely ignorant, what does that entail exactly?

The toast underneath it all is the best part. smoking smiley
thumbs up smileys with beer

OMG ... I wanna throw up !!! Ugh YUK !!!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 25, 2018 16:48

You took the words right out of my mouth, paulywaul! YUK indeed...

Date: April 25, 2018 16:52

Big Al
I would like to point out that a true Full English should never include hash browns as these are a U.S. addition that has somehow crept onto our plate! Sausage, baked beans, fried egg, fried mushroom, black pudding, bacon and fried bread, only.

I believe the americans call it «All american breakfast» with the hash browns (sans the pudding, of course) winking smiley

At least, that's what they called it in Cleveland, when I had one a few years ago over there. Any input, Rocky?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:04

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

I believe the americans call it «All american breakfast» with the hash browns (sans the pudding, of course) winking smiley

At least, that's what they called it in Cleveland, when I had one a few years ago over there. Any input, Rocky?

The 5 nations of the British Isles each change one item and claim the whole thing as their own.

Cooked English Breakfast
Cooked Scottish Breakfast (add potato scones)
Cooked Welsh Breakfast (add fried leeks??)
Cooked Irish Breakfast (Southern Ireland, not sure what they change)
Ulster Fry (Northern Ireland - add fried Soda Bread - lethal!)

Some Ulster comedian once said The Ulster Fry is also known as the UF and it's killed more than the UFF, UVF and all the other old terrorist organisations added together (thankfully the latter are long since a thing of the past).

It sounds like the US has joined the party with their hash browns.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:22

I should not say this but we are among friends... It is really a place I don't want more people to fill up, as it is already very popular, and it is may be the best Chinese food in London...

There is a fantastic China restaurant in Queensway, the short street that is just off Bayswater Road by the Queensway tube statin on the Red Central Line. Or a 20 minutes walk from the Paddington area.

Mandarine Kitchen, 14-16 Queensway

If you arrive before 7pm you may get a table right away, but a bit later on it is packed, and you have to wait by the bar for 10-30 minutes. It is popular among the Chinese and I have been there since the 80's and hopefully they are still as good as then used to be.

Then ther was this Fish'n'Ships place close to Victoria station which I can't remember the name of, and I am never there anyway, so I miss the best ever Fish'n'Ships place in "my" area which is around Paddington usually. To be honest, the Pride of Paddington fish'n'ships is no good, and even their bitter is not good but I simply like the pub. I do always go there because I like it there. But I don't think they have John Smiths bitter, and the fisn'n'ships seems industrial at least not from proper quality cod.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:56

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

If I saw an "All American Breakfast" on the menu, I'd be thinking it's a good place to start and would probably resemble the following:

(I wish I could share pictures but the links will have to do)

Order the Sunrise Sampler at Cracker Barrel

Any of "The Slam's" will get you close at Denny's

IHOP calls it "The Breakfast Sampler"

One Note Of Warning: Be wary of anyone serving "biscuits & gravy" outside of "The South". Although I do consider b&g and grits to be a necessary parts of a true "southern style" breakfast, sausage gravy and cats head biscuits are truly an art-form and can leave something to be desired when prepared by amateurs (translation: those not trained by grandma). One exception to that rule: somehow or another, Hardees does manage to serve GOOD biscuits and gravy at their restaurants.

Mmmm... I'm thinking I may need a full southern breakfast this weekend... Time to start planning...

We now return you to our previous thread regarding UK food (which I'm looking forward to more and more with every post!)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:09

BluzDude
stonehearted
Mars bars -- the "faithfull" swear by it...

I'll take one of those ... dark, if you have one smiling bouncing smiley
The Scottish / English version

Deep Fried

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 20:10 by mtaylor.

Date: April 25, 2018 23:26

mr_dja
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

If I saw an "All American Breakfast" on the menu, I'd be thinking it's a good place to start and would probably resemble the following:

One Note Of Warning: Be wary of anyone serving "biscuits & gravy" outside of "The South". Although I do consider b&g and grits to be a necessary parts of a true "southern style" breakfast, sausage gravy and cats head biscuits are truly an art-form and can leave something to be desired when prepared by amateurs (translation: those not trained by grandma). One exception to that rule: somehow or another, Hardees does manage to serve GOOD biscuits and gravy at their restaurants.

Mmmm... I'm thinking I may need a full southern breakfast this weekend... Time to start planning...

We now return you to our previous thread regarding UK food (which I'm looking forward to more and more with every post!)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Not a fan of Dennys or IHOP since the '70's when they used to be good (at least that's what my memory tells me), but I will say that for me an "All American Breakfast" should always include pancakes!!! Sometimes referred to as a "pancake sandwich" (though not a sandwich at all), you get a stack of pancakes (w/maple syrup and butter), a couple of eggs, and bacon or sausage, (preferably both)...if really indulgent maybe a side of hash browns (or home fries which for those who don't know are chunks of fried potatos w/peppers and onions vs. shredded hash browns), and a large glass of fresh squeezed orange juice.

I trust your judgement on the superior biscuits and gravy in "The South", but will say we have some pretty good versions out here in the west (the further inland and up into the country usually the better). The problem at some of these places is not the gravy, but the biscuits...if the biscuits aren't proper then it's all downhill from there! And for what it's worth, my late Grandma from Missouri (the mid-west) made the best biscuits and gravy known to mankind, and on that you'll just have to trust me. smiling smiley

PS - Hardees in the east is known as Carls Jr. here out west. I know they have decent breakfast biscuit sandwich's, but have never tried the biscuits and gravy so thanks for the heads up.thumbs up

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 26, 2018 00:07

Hairball
mr_dja
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Peace,
Mr DJA

Not a fan of Dennys or IHOP since the '70's when they used to be good (at least that's what my memory tells me), but I will say that for me an "All American Breakfast" should always include pancakes!!! Sometimes referred to as a "pancake sandwich" (though not a sandwich at all), you get a stack of pancakes (w/maple syrup and butter), a couple of eggs, and bacon or sausage, (preferably both)...if really indulgent maybe a side of hash browns (or home fries which for those who don't know are chunks of fried potatos w/peppers and onions vs. shredded hash browns), and a large glass of fresh squeezed orange juice.

I trust your judgement on the superior biscuits and gravy in "The South", but will say we have some pretty good versions out here in the west (the further inland and up into the country usually the better). The problem at some of these places is not the gravy, but the biscuits...if the biscuits aren't proper then it's all downhill from there! And for what it's worth, my late Grandma from Missouri (the mid-west) made the best biscuits and gravy known to mankind, and on that you'll just have to trust me. smiling smiley

PS - Hardees in the east is known as Carls Jr. here out west. I know they have decent breakfast biscuit sandwich's, but have never tried the biscuits and gravy so thanks for the heads up.thumbs up

I was always a Norm's person myself....remember the 49er? Or Steak and eggs for $1.99?

Date: April 26, 2018 02:18

BluzDude
Hairball
mr_dja
DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Peace,
Mr DJA

I was always a Norm's person myself....remember the 49er? Or Steak and eggs for $1.99?

There was a Norms on Lincoln and Olympic blvd.in Santa Monica when I was growing up but I think closed a few years ago.
Also one up here in Ventura, but also recently closed....eye rolling smiley....I think the nearest one to me now is way out in the valley?
Don't recall the 49er or Steak and eggs for $1.99 (what a bargain!)...must have been before my time old timer. winking smiley

Date: April 26, 2018 03:10

There was a Norms on Lincoln and Olympic blvd.in Santa Monica when I was growing up but I think closed a few years ago.
Also one up here in Ventura, but also recently closed....eye rolling smiley....I think the nearest one to me now is way out in the valley?
Don't recall the 49er or Steak and eggs for $1.99 (what a bargain!)...must have been before my time old timer.

That one on Lincoln I use to go to after the Oar House, when we didn't go to Zucky's. But back in my high school days it was the one on Pico near Military (East of Sepulveda) where I would get the 49er (49 cents). It was 2 pancakes and either 2 eggs or 2 pieces of bacon or sausage and sometimes they would have a special and throw in the coffee.....those were the days....back when Led Zeppelin was hot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 03:15 by BluzDude.

Date: April 26, 2018 03:13

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 03:14 by BluzDude.

Date: April 26, 2018 04:37

Ah Bluzdude...OMG you remember Zuckys!!!!! thumbs up They had the best damn cheeseburgers, along with everything else!! You might also remember the Broken Drum on Lincoln and Wilshire..."You can't beat it" was their slogan...best clam chowder on Fridays!

Also out in the valley, when I was going to Cal State Northridge way back when there was old school Twains diner on Ventura Blvd which I believe is near where you live now (?), and it's sister restaurant Cables on the west side of the valley also on Ventura Blvd. Anyways, they served up a pretty darn good breakfast, but looking up both of them up now on google, and see they have both closed down....sad smiley

Date: April 26, 2018 05:04

Hairball
Ah Bluzdude...OMG you remember Zuckys!!!!! thumbs up They had the best damn cheeseburgers, along with everything else!! You might also remember the Broken Drum on Lincoln and Wilshire..."You can't beat it" was their slogan...best clam chowder on Fridays!

Also out in the valley, when I was going to Cal State Northridge way back when there was old school Twains diner on Ventura Blvd which I believe is near where you live now (?), and it's sister restaurant Cables on the west side of the valley also on Ventura Blvd. Anyways, they served up a pretty darn good breakfast, but looking up both of them up now on google, and see they have both closed down....sad smiley

Yes, cables closed just a couple months ago, just as well, they’ve been awful the last 10 years, breakfast was ok but that’s about it. I grew up on the west side so I’m familiar with most of those places- lots of nostalgia!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 26, 2018 22:25

Hairball
A few of my favorite meals while in London:

Fish and Chips- The Dining Plaice. Located on Berwick Street in Soho, amongst the best fish and chips to be found in London in my humble opinion as well as my English wife (and she would tell you to add a side of mushy peas!) - massive portions at a reasonable price. Sometimes there's a line of people spilling out in to the street, but that's a good sign right? There are many great places, but this no frills joint does it right. thumbs up
(Poppies is another Fish and Chips place that should be looked in to).

Top 10 places to eat fish and chips in London

Indian food: Motijheel Tandoori Restaurant. Located on Marchmont Street in Bloomsbury. Hundreds of great places for Indian food in London, but this is a sentimental favorite for my wife and I - fantastic Indian food!

A variety of greatness with a glass of mango lassi to wash it all down

And the massive English breakfast. Millions of choices, and usually great at many small diners, but this one below was complimentary at the nice Hotel we were staying at in Bloomsbury.

And then there's Camden Market - get lost wandering around all the stalls and shops, and be prepared to be enticed by all the aromas of many different types of food - Indian, Chinese, Thai, Jamaican, Mexican, etc., etc., etc.

Oh yeah, Chinese food in Chinatown - take your pick as there's many great places within a very small area.

"I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get a big dish of beef chow mein"

-Warren Zevon

I'm yet to have a decent meal in Camden market, although it's a great place to look around.

Also, that full English isn't full - it's missing black pudding for a start!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 27, 2018 00:36

sjs12
...Also, that full English isn't full - it's missing black pudding for a start!

Small mercies...! winking smiley

Date: April 27, 2018 00:37

sjs12
I'm yet to have a decent meal in Camden market, although it's a great place to look around.

Haven't had a decent meal in Camden Market?
That's too bad - you must be a very picky eater as there's so much variety to choose from!

"Here’s just some of the hundreds in the Market to get you started".

Camden Market - Food and Drink

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home