Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24
Re: From The Vault: No Security San Jose April 19th, 1999, Released: 13th July 2018
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2018 15:59

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Yep, the choice of Darryl is still a conundrum to me. In my eyes a lose-lose-affair. The Stones didn't benefit from it, neither did Darryl. At least not in musical terms. Financially, sure.

If Darryl loves the Stones's music, he might have gained a lot musically as well. But I know what you mean smiling smiley

Honestly, I don't think he does. Even if he wouldn't admit that. It's a very good gig for a professional musician though. Very well paid. I think Darryl's heart is into other genres of music. Not plain rock and roll.

Re: From The Vault: No Security San Jose April 19th, 1999, Released: 13th July 2018
Date: August 14, 2018 16:01

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Yep, the choice of Darryl is still a conundrum to me. In my eyes a lose-lose-affair. The Stones didn't benefit from it, neither did Darryl. At least not in musical terms. Financially, sure.

If Darryl loves the Stones's music, he might have gained a lot musically as well. But I know what you mean smiling smiley

Honestly, I don't think he does. Even if he wouldn't admit that. It's a very good gig for a professional musician though. Very well paid. I think Darryl's heart is into other genres of music. Not plain rock and roll.

I thought so, too. Then again, why does he bother playing with the Dead Daisies? Not for the money, I presume..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-14 16:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2018 16:45

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I thought so, too. Then again, why does he bother playing with the Dead Daisies? Not for the money, I presume..

I don't get that either. Maybe he's confused? I do think his playing suits heavy metal better than classic rock and roll though.

No Security San Jose 99 TV Broadcast - Aug 15!
Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: August 11, 2018 11:48

Hello my IORR friends!

From The Vault No Security San Jose 1999
will be shown on Aug 15 on Austrian TV ORF III
in its entirety!!!
[tv.orf.at]

Re: No Security San Jose 99 TV Broadcast - Aug 15!
Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 12, 2018 00:28

So it takes 18 years for official release and now it's on TV?

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: August 12, 2018 10:01

thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 12, 2018 12:55

snorton
So it takes 18 years for official release and now it's on TV?

The entertainment industry has discovered that broadcasting a film or a concert doesn't hurt the sales of DVD/bluray.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 21:42

I finally got a chance to start viewing the DVD (I've been listening to the CD for a while now). Don't get me wrong: I love to be able to watch a NS show.

BUT who did the editing on this? I mean it's really awful and it seems as if it was made by someone who doesn't know the Stones at all and which band member plays what. Only one example at the start of Some Girls: you can't even see Keith play his wonderful riffs! What the hell? I guess no one cares.

On with the show...

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: September 19, 2018 12:40

OS left an offer of US Color Vinyl

[electricvinylrecords.com]

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 20, 2018 23:55

low postage for europe colored vinyl, just recieved mine smiling smiley

[www.ebay.nl]

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 15:27

I just listened to the audio of Jumpin' Jack Flash...good version for the most part, but I found the organ was mixed WAY too loud and distracted from the guitars way too much.

Date: September 25, 2018 15:36

One of the better JJFs I've heard, especially from Keith. It rocks, and it sounds awesome thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 28, 2018 05:19

jazzbass
DandelionPowderman
More Hot Rocks
Does Keith's guitar shut off for a millisecond during the intro to Brown Sugar or does he completely miss the string? Watch the video

Sounds like he missed one strum there. Haven't seen the video yet..

I haven't seen the video yet, but there have been several times over the years Keith's strings were muted by a wayward hanging scarf or shirt tail.

He was dreading the multiple tinkle dingles that Chuck was going to do.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 28, 2018 07:12

DandelionPowderman
One of the better JJFs I've heard, especially from Keith. It rocks, and it sounds awesome thumbs up

They opened the whole tour with JJF. It was magnificent in Anaheim. I have never been to a bad Stones show that started with JJF.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 4, 2018 17:34

Finally listened to the whole San Jose show. Great energy on that tour that I had forgotten. I saw Mpls., Milwaukee and both Chicago shows. I'll never forget the entire crowd at the United Center jumping up and down to "Get Off My Cloud" on the b-stage. That said though, the "Sympathy" on that San Jose show is possibly the worst I've ever heard...back-up vocally speaking...at least in recent memory. Those short staccato "woo-hoos" instead of the usual longer ones....WTF? it sounds jarring to my ear. and the call and response between Mick and the backup singers.....ouch, I don't remember it being like that in the No Security shows that I saw, or on any other tour for that matter, but maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-04 18:56 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: October 4, 2018 18:22

floodonthepage
Finally listened to the whole San Jose show. Great energy on that tour that I had forgotten. I saw Mpls., Milwaukee and both Chicago shows. I'll never forget the entire crowd at the United Center jumping up and down to "Get Off My Cloud" on the b-stage. That said though, the "Sympathy" on that San Jose show is possibly the worst I've ever heard...at least in recent memory...yes including the botched Miami '94 version with Keith's off-key solo. Those short staccato "woo-hoos" instead of the usual longer ones....WTF? it sounds jarring to my ear. and the call and response between Mick and the backup singers.....ouch, I don't remember it being like that in the No Security shows that I saw, or on any other tour for that matter, but maybe?

Nowadays they dont do any who whoos except in Keiths solo parts... sad smiley

Date: October 4, 2018 18:26

It's a fantastic show...Keith is in absolutely top form.

I wish the picture quality was a bit cleaner, but you can't expect perfection from a nearly 20 year old show. Highly, highly recommended.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 4, 2018 19:02

keefriff99

I wish the picture quality was a bit cleaner, but you can't expect perfection from a nearly 20 year old show. Highly, highly recommended.

Indeed, he was in top form! Too bad he couldn't drown out the back-up singers (who are usually fine) on that "Sympathy" encore.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2018 00:51

floodonthepage
Finally listened to the whole San Jose show. Great energy on that tour that I had forgotten. I saw Mpls., Milwaukee and both Chicago shows. I'll never forget the entire crowd at the United Center jumping up and down to "Get Off My Cloud" on the b-stage. That said though, the "Sympathy" on that San Jose show is possibly the worst I've ever heard...back-up vocally speaking...at least in recent memory. Those short staccato "woo-hoos" instead of the usual longer ones....WTF? it sounds jarring to my ear. and the call and response between Mick and the backup singers.....ouch, I don't remember it being like that in the No Security shows that I saw, or on any other tour for that matter, but maybe?

At the end of the song they do it normal but wow, yeah, that's weird.

Date: October 6, 2018 03:11

They didn't do it at the San Jose show, but I very clearly recall Lisa and Bernard joining Mick at the foot of the stage in Boston #2 to do some synchronized side-to-side dance steps at the end of Sympathy, which was pretty cheesy.

Does anyone else recall them doing this at other shows?

I also didn't really like the inclusion of the horn section at the end of Sympathy.

From '89 to '99, it was de rigueur to shoehorn the full horn section into the final song of the set (whether it fit or not). I didn't like it for Satisfaction or Sympathy, but I LOVED JJF with the horns during the VL tour. That was the only time where it really worked.

Date: October 6, 2018 06:27

keefriff99

Yes you can. I just saw the Dylan 30th Anniversary concert from '92 and it's perfect.

Date: October 6, 2018 07:29

24FPS
keefriff99

Yes you can. I just saw the Dylan 30th Anniversary concert from '92 and it's perfect.
Yeah, I mean I guess it depends on the quality of the original recording and how much effort they wanted to put into restoring it. You can upgrade video to HD but it may be cost prohibitive for a project like this based on the projected sales.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 6, 2018 15:17

24FPS
keefriff99

Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert is an exception. The 2014 re-release of the concert was taken from footage filmed in High Definition by Japanese TV. Japanese TV station NHK were already using High Definition in 1992 (they had been experimenting with the format since the late 1970s). In the US High Definition only gained wider acceptance in the early 2000s.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:40

San Jose '99 - 60 mins Broadcast on 31-Dec-2018, 6pm by Austrian/German/Swiss Public Broadcaster [www.3sat.de] .

Mediathek HD-Video (60 mins, geo-blocked AT/DE/CH): [nrodl.ZDF.de] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-31 14:55 by Irix.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:33

Playing with the rolling stones, in stadiums packed with people having a good time is the kind of gig that most musicians would love to have. I believe that Darryl loves what he does for the rolling stones.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 19, 2018 05:24

I finally watched the Blu Ray in stereo mode this afternoon, a friend dropped by to view with me, we were blown away by this gig, the sound, edit and above all performance are phenomenal, Keith is on fire, Woody in the pocket, Charlie holding seriously solid ground and Mick in a fine spirit and voice.

It ranks in the top tier of filmed offerings, up their with Hampton '81, Texas '78, Ladies & Gentlemen, Sweet Summer Sun.

Merry Christmas All

Date: December 19, 2018 18:03

SKILLS
I finally watched the Blu Ray in stereo mode this afternoon, a friend dropped by to view with me, we were blown away by this gig, the sound, edit and above all performance are phenomenal, Keith is on fire, Woody in the pocket, Charlie holding seriously solid ground and Mick in a fine spirit and voice.

It ranks in the top tier of filmed offerings, up their with Hampton '81, Texas '78, Ladies & Gentlemen, Sweet Summer Sun.

Merry Christmas All

For the most part I agree, and I wanted this for a long time after attending a NS gig in Anaheim. Unfortunately I watched it once, and I've felt little pull to watch it again. I haven't watched Four Flicks or The Biggest Bang either, since they started releasing the good stuff a few years back. (Meaning 1990 and earlier). I still contend that the Rolling Stones as a creative unit pretty much ended with the 1990 tour. The rest has been a traveling Greatest Hits band with three original members. Their best recordings of the past almost 30 years were the gussied up bonus cuts with the original rhythm section. I hope there's more still in the vaults pre-1990.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 10, 2019 21:48

I just got the digital download. I like the performance but not too happy with the mix.. Unless it's my setup, it sounds like in way too many places, Ronnie is too loud and Keith is too low; especially at times when Keith's guitar should be prominent. Is it just me or does anyone else hear it that way?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: January 21, 2019 21:15

FYI video is now available to stream for free on apple music in the US:
[itunes.apple.com]

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: January 21, 2019 22:17

HonkeyTonkFlash
I just got the digital download. I like the performance but not too happy with the mix.. Unless it's my setup, it sounds like in way too many places, Ronnie is too loud and Keith is too low; especially at times when Keith's guitar should be prominent. Is it just me or does anyone else hear it that way?

I think so too, the guys that mixed this show are the same that mixed Voodoo Uncut. Maybe they are RonnieĀ“s best friends.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 22:19 by dedospegajosos.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home