Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24
Re: From The Vault: No Security San Jose April 19th ?, 1999, Released: 13th July 2018
Posted by: erad ()
Date: July 13, 2018 16:04

Just watched that Honky Tonk Women clip. Ronnie seems MIA.

Re: From The Vault: No Security San Jose April 19th ?, 1999, Released: 13th July 2018
Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: July 13, 2018 17:19

astsu
Yes, please.would be great
to hear the bonus tracks.

Thank you.

[email protected]

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 13, 2018 17:30

erad

yupe Ronnie was not there for the whole tour. soon after Mick pled with Ronnie to get himself together.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:35

YES!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 14, 2018 01:23

bleedingman
I checked my order placed with Amazon US and it said it would not play on most North American players. It did not say that when I ordered it. Also, Amazon's links seem to be screwed up. Clicking on the Blu-ray/DVD link below takes you to the vinyl:

Edit to add: Further down the page there is a link to the Blu-ray which takes you to Sticky Fingers Live.

[smile.amazon.com]

I have the same problem! I ordered this back in May, was anxiously waiting it's arrival and a no-show.

I can't find any reference of a Blu-ray/CD combo anymore...was that a mix-up??

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 14, 2018 01:44

erad

Edit.
The reviews on IORR San Jose 1999
are very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 01:54 by 35love.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 14, 2018 05:12

My thoughts on first couple of listens (I only listened digitally on Spotify).

I will start the with CONS.

-Ronnie is definitely MIA through most of it. His playing isn't BAD necessarily, but it feels barely there and a bit off the mark when it is. As usual, he seems to come alive for "Before They Make Me Run", but for much of it it sounds like he's nervously auditioning with them for the first time. He really has no standout moments at all on here. Too bad.

-Mick's vocal performance is not very inspiring. He seems a little rushed, often out of breath, and generally unable to give it his all. He is still good, mind you, just not great.

-The mix. First off, did Chuck Leavell mix this thing? His organ is WAY up in the mix, and distractingly so. To be fair, Chuck is a fine organ player and though he is too loud in places, he plays very nicely. But still, take it down a notch.And his piano nearly ruins "Brown Sugar". It's just too much. And the backup singers are too prominent in the mix for some songs (Honky Tonk Women) and buried in the mix on others (Out Of Control). Also, those backup vocals on "Sympathy"? Ugh, horrible! They do this cute, short, clipped little "oo oo" instead of the "ohoo whoo" that helps define the song. It sounds ridiculous.

And now The PROS:

-Keith. You can just tell he is having a blast! Seriously, listen to his playing here and you can practically hear the smile on his face. His playing is very strong and confident here, but it's also loose and carefree. This is very much the Keith we know and love. His technical ability is great here, but his personality also shins through in his playing (I love the version of "Before They Make Me Run").

-Good setlist. Obviously a big chunk of the classics are here, but you also have some solid performances of "Some Girls", "Bitch", "I Got The Blues", "Get Off My Cloud", and the 2 Bridges To Babylon tracks.

-The sound quality is very good, the crowd sounds super-enthusiastic (check out their reaction after the end of "Saint Of Me"), and the band sounds equal parts loose and tight.

So I am certain this was not the best show from the No Security tour, but it's still a fine one and I am happy that we finally got this great souvenir from a great tour.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: July 14, 2018 05:58

I'm 48 and have been a Stones freak since 1977 (my older brother came home with Hot Rocks and Led Zeppelin IV and III and Physical BUT at age 7 I knew the Stones were far superior in so many ways ...) but my first show (2nd row) was 1989 tour...had just missed the 1981 tour which IMO is one of the best Stones live eras ever! I digress. Since 1989 I've seen 35 shows and was at this San Joe show, front row small stage. Watching it now at age 48 I am giddy with enthusiasm and warm memories.. This was perhaps the LAST era that they seriously stared you in the eye, had the technical abilities to rock the @#$%& out of it! They had just came off a great tour (Babylon where I drank beers with Jack Nicholson backstage in Vegas) and they were loose and on fire. I've seen many many shows since this 1999 tour but this tour was extra special. I was there in Oakland opening night after they had rehearsed for 6-9 days at the Fillmore (I lived 2 blocks away and saw the trucks and Ronnie and Keiths roadies driving around SF eventually buying guitar strings at a shop just south of market). Bless the boys...and by the way Charlie @#$%& Watts IS the true magic of this band...and he's in prime form for this show!

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: July 14, 2018 06:11

Just watched this. They did a great job- immersive sound, good picture although not widescreen. I was at one of these concerts in San Jose and this bluray faithfully recreates what I experienced that night in San Jose. Haven’t listened to the CDs yet. My only negative is that there are no special features. It would have been nice to include Gimme Shelter as a bonus from the other night.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 09:26

I think maybe the best show from this tour is the Stuttgart show

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 14, 2018 09:41

kovach
bleedingman
I checked my order placed with Amazon US and it said it would not play on most North American players. It did not say that when I ordered it. Also, Amazon's links seem to be screwed up. Clicking on the Blu-ray/DVD link below takes you to the vinyl:

Edit to add: Further down the page there is a link to the Blu-ray which takes you to Sticky Fingers Live.

[smile.amazon.com]

I have the same problem! I ordered this back in May, was anxiously waiting it's arrival and a no-show.

I just received word from Amazon US that my order will not be on time and they don't know exactly when it will be shipped.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 14, 2018 09:42

Very Nice show. Indeed chucky boy is high in the mix, but at least hè plays the organ and keys and isn’t filling gaps like he does on later tour.
Pretty good show overall!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 14, 2018 09:51

As this is a rather "recent" show by Stones standards, I think this showcases very well what many of us stated throughout the last 20 or so years: Ronnie was buried in the mix, Chuck got more and more prominent. After Keith fell from the tree and his playing got less constant, Ronnie got sober and took a more prominent role while they got e.d. Blondie Chaplin out of the picture. This is all heavily simplified, but still overall what happened - and in 2018 we have a focused Keith and Ronnie, both with clear roles and it WORKS!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2018 10:53

I've skipped some of these releases (was disappointed by Stripped release) but I took the dive on this one. Enjoyed a lot of it, especially MR on the small stage. I didn't see any of the No Security shows but did see what was effectively 1 toward the end of the BTB tour. They played 2 nights at an arena in Portland & it was fantastic. I think people here would need to change their underwear if the band came out & did a set similar to this nowadays. Sure you get some warhorses but fewer of them. Didn't miss "Miss You" haha. I actually like the record of Miss You but have gotten tired of it live. "I Got the Blues" is really good, too. They should do "Out of Control" more often. 1 of the better "modern" Stones songs & it works really well live. On a good night, they hit the magical groove during the instrumental part at the end. It's a fine & scary thing! Would rather hear that than them doing "Like A Rolling Stone". All just my opinion, I'm sure plenty will disagree. All in all, not a bad release for $20 US. BTW, the DTS Master mix sounds great!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 14, 2018 12:36

I think Ronnie plays great. I agree he plays even better now, but he plays better than almost any show in 2006/07 and better than many 2003 shows.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: July 14, 2018 12:42

I just listened to the first 2 LPs. It is a great album, but except for the more interesting set list they don't sound that much different today. Wish they would dare to play more of these songs again.
Darryl plays more Stones like bass now so that is better, guitars are loader now. Keith's Honky Tonk solo are note by note very similar to this tour.
Comparing this to todays tour just shows that they still can do it.

Time to go to NY and MSG?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 14, 2018 12:54

GeorgV
I just listened to the first 2 LPs. It is a great album, but except for the more interesting set list they don't sound that much different today. Wish they would dare to play more of these songs again.
Darryl plays more Stones like bass now so that is better, guitars are loader now. Keith's Honky Tonk solo are note by note very similar to this tour.

When I compare it to e.g. Havana Moon I notice that Charlie's drums sounded more poweful back then. Not sure if he hit harder but the sound was certainly more powerful with a nice ring and rattle to the snare sound wheras today the snare sounds a bit muffled and dampened (Although on the No Filter tour it sounded much better than the years before)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 14, 2018 13:01

StonedRambler
GeorgV

When I compare it to e.g. Havana Moon I notice that Charlie's drums sounded more poweful back then. Not sure if he hit harder but the sound was certainly more powerful with a nice ring and rattle to the snare sound wheras today the snare sounds a bit muffled and dampened (Although on the No Filter tour it sounded much better than the years before)

Back then he did hit the drums harder, he did more fills and was overall much tighter, his playing also wasn't stiff like it's sometimes today.

Keith is also very impressing here, he was still well in control over the notes he was playing and the telecaster really sounds nice for soloing.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: July 14, 2018 13:33

TheBlockbuster

Back then he did hit the drums harder, he did more fills and was overall much tighter, his playing also wasn't stiff like it's sometimes today.

Keith is also very impressing here, he was still well in control over the notes he was playing and the telecaster really sounds nice for soloing.

True, but almost 20 years later they still sound damned good. To me, the major difference is the bass playing now being more dominant part of the rhytm section as it was with Bill. Not just anonymus background filling in as it was in the 90s when the guitars (mostly Keith) had to carry it

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 14, 2018 13:42

I just heard it as MP3 on Amazon Music. There are some great moments like I Got the Blues and Some Girls. Otherwise a good average concert with some highlights like the forceful Before Make Me Run, the all time great Route 66. The weak moments are the one and only solo Keith did in those years on all tracks and particularly the upfront mix of Chuck Leavell. Okay, he is a very good keyboard player, but he does fit only to nice guy music we are used to hear from the Beach Boys or so. Thus the band then is a little bit of "Chuck Leavell and his Rolling Stones formerly known as The Rolling Stones".

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 14, 2018 16:17

A great show. A weird but sill good mix. Love the DVD and especially the B stage set.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 14, 2018 20:12

24FPS
kovach
bleedingman

[smile.amazon.com]

I just received word from Amazon US that my order will not be on time and they don't know exactly when it will be shipped.

I'm starting to think there is no US Blu-Ray/CD combo.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2018 20:48

you know, thinking about it, strong charlie & keith is what a lot of us want. you got the silver is really good on this & charlie is playing strong. the tempos are for the most part faster too. this release isn't my fave live stones stuff but i definitely like it more than anything from bigger bang tour on. personally, i saw some great shows on the licks tour. saw a lot on bigger bang too but that was more of a crapshoot. i definitely like the b stage stuff more. stripped down. best version of brown sugar i've ever seen in person was @ mgm grand on licks tour when they did it on the b stage. just the basics.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 14, 2018 21:03

I had forgotten how bad Ronnie had been during this period. The perfect bookend to his horrible club show to kick off the Babylon Tour.

Keith really carries the show and is on top of his (late era) game. Did I understand correctly that he got back into dabbling in the bad stuff around this time?

Still one of my favorite tours of all time.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: July 14, 2018 21:44

kovach
24FPS
kovach
bleedingman

[smile.amazon.com]

There is a blu ray release for the US....I picked it up last night

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:30

mjmjr

Should be this one (BR+2CD) - [www.Amazon.com] .

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:30

What a fantastic summer release to enjoy. Get into it and park your snark at the door. Fierce, focused and fun. Watch it with someone you want to impress. These guys are a treasure.

More please.

"Scarlet, why you wearin' my heart on your sleeve, where it ain't supposed to be?"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:33

Face it, this was the end of the Stones as an exciting, still dangerous band. I didn't notice Ronnie's non-contribution because Keith was on fire, as was Charlie. In comparison they seemed flatter on the Licks tour. They hid the musical deficiencies behind theatrics and light shows on the Bigger Bang tour. Now it's a greatest hits band, lucky to still have three original members.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 14, 2018 22:37

mjmjr
kovach
24FPS
kovach
bleedingman

[smile.amazon.com]

I got my blu-Ray from Amazon-US yesterday after being told there would be a delay. It's SD aspect ratio (standard Def, not fullscreen image) and plays just fine. Sounds great. My fave track so far is Some Girls.

HBK

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: July 14, 2018 23:37

sorry, what does MIA mean ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home